• Published 24th Nov 2016
  • 498 Views, 4 Comments

The Life and Times of Benjamin Inventor (Part 3) - Bsherrin



Benjamin learns his Purpose, why the Authorities sent him to Equestria and travels to the Griffon Lands to fulfill it.

  • ...
6
 4
 498

Roaming

Roaming

Overhead, the skylarks wing,
They never rest at home,
But just like me, they love to sing,
As o'er the world we roam!

Valderee, valderah,
Valderee, valderah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha,
Valderee, valderah,
As o'er the world we roam!

From Fall’s favorite song

I woke up at my usual time and Juliette felt me stir. She stretched (which was a pleasure to watch, I tell you what), smiled, kissed my muzzle and then leapt out of bed. I went through my usual ablutions, then came downstairs. Juliette rang for breakfast and we talked of court gossip, who was with whom and other trivialities. Lady Silver was now running a bank close to the Forbidden Lands, the worst possible assignment. Juliette hadn’t heard the full story, so I told her how I’d staged a run on the bank and Lady Silver had abandoned her post, hiding in a cart until she could escape on the train to Canterlot.

Breakfast over, Lady Astrid showed me out the back door herself.

“10th of Third, Maker.”

“Until then, Milady.”

We gave each other a Pegasus Farewell and I turned and trotted toward the freight depot. Between one house and the next, I became Pionnier, the roguish, wandering French Earth pony, raconteur and jack-of-all-trades. As a Hero of the Realm, many ponies on the street recognized and greeted me, but now not a one gave me a second glance. Oh, yes, I was going to enjoy this.

I got to the freight depot and checked the job listings. Hmm, track walker, engine wiper, engine wiper, yard worker, no thank you. Firepony, no experience necessary, Firepony, experienced, Asst. Engineer. Now we’re talking. Firepony should do well enough. I turned from the job board to ask about the firepony job inside when I overheard Whiskers talking to the station manager.

“Dang it, Johnson, I gots to have a firepony. I’m gettin’ too old to stoke and to run the engine without one. Against regs, too.”

“I’m sorry, Whiskers, I am, I am, but there just ain’t any,” answered the station manager flipping through a clipboard. “We’ll have one in from Baltimare tomorra, though.”

“Ah, I got t’ go in 20. This freight has t’ get to Fillydephia today!”

Opportunity. My Luck was still running even in this form.

Pardon, Messieurs, for my dropping the eaves, but did you say you needed a firepony?”

“Yeah? What’s it to ya,” glared Whiskers, suspiciously.

“I was a firepony on Le Cheval line. Perhaps I can be of aider, non?”

Whiskers looked me over carefully, then pointed to his engine.

“Tell me about my hog.”

I walked over and pretended to look over the engine.

“This 4-4-0 is from the Smithson and Sons, non? She runs at what, 150 psi?”

“That’s…that’s right!” said an amazed Whiskers.

I turned around and nodded.

“15 minutes to half steam, Monsieur, 30 to full. She’ll pull at 100 psi, mais, oui, if slowly?” I said.

“Put yer gear in the caboose, Frenchie, and get her fired up. You got yourself a job on the Equestria Line,” said Whiskers. The station manager nodded, smiling.

Merci, merci, beaucoup!” I yelled as I ran to the caboose. I tossed my saddlebags and pouch in a locker, then raced back to the engine. She wasn’t cold but had sat for awhile, so I raked the coals, tossed in some wood, dumped the ashes and checked the flue and dampers. As I expected, Whiskers had her in perfect shape. I kept tossing in logs until the steam pressure started to rise. Whiskers, checking his watch, climbed into the cab. I pointed to the steam gauge which read 98 psi. Whiskers nodded, gave a double toot and took her out.

Thus began my association with the Equestria Line and I couldn’t have been happier. I saw the entire country, many places more than once. I stoked engines from the Frozen North to Hot Springs, got my first look at the North Luna Ocean when I stopped over in Van Hoover, loved the Smokey Mountains, saw Cloudsdale and Manehatten at night and during the day, had a canoodle in Los Pegasus, Canterlot and Baltimare and even spent Year’s End with Seamus Martin and his family in Ponyville. Word gets around quickly amongst railponies and Whiskers made sure the others knew I was reliable and a good railroader.

I’d just helped put Seamus’ foals to bed when I heard the first news about myself.

“Any word?” asked Whiskers.

“Nothing, Da, nothing at all. We sure could use him. That Earth pony who took over the workshop is good, but he just ain’t Mr. Wizard.”

I quietly took a seat.

“Mrs. Apple done run him off but good,” continued Seamus, shaking his head. “The Apple family Shunned her for it. Some other ponies aren’t too happy about it, either.”

Oh, really? “Pardon, Monsieur Martin, what is the ‘Shunned’?” I asked, pretending not to know.

“It’s something farmin’ families do, Frenchie,” answered Seamus, turning to me. “When a family member misbehaves or makes a bad decision without consulting the family which affects the farm somehow, the other family members make her work and eat alone. They won’t have nothing to do with her unless it’s about work and the pony Shunned can’t attend any family events like Year’s End.”

C'est tout simplement terrible!” I said, and it was, too, particularly for AJ, one of the most social ponies around.

Seamus nodded. “Most ponies can’t take it more than a few weeks, particularly if the family is a close one like the Apples. Mrs. Apple has took it like a mare, and that’s the truth. Some of us including Bull Brickle thought the family would lift the Shunning at Year’s End, but that old mare didn’t. She’s a tough one, she is.”

I should have felt satisfaction that night as I stretched out on my canvas cot. Instead, my heart ached for AJ and the family.

We were busy the next week with extra trains to return ponies home, then Whiskers and I made the last run North before Winter shut down the passes through the Crystal Mountains and across the land bridge to Griffonstone Station, the end of the line for the Northern track. I took particular note since that was the way I planned to travel to get to the Griffon Lands. After unloading freight, we headed back West, spent the night in the Crystal Empire and then made our way back to Canterlot.

Things quieted on the railroad after that and I didn’t have nearly the runs I had when I started. That was fine since I stayed with the Martins and got to see my town through new eyes. I enjoyed watching Jon make deliveries, often with Pinkie riding along with him. I saw some of the Apples but never laid eyes on AJ. I bumped into Fluttershy once when she was shopping. I greeted her in French and flirted a bit, complimenting her wings and her color. She giggled and blushed. Always modest, Fluttershy.

Before I knew it, it was 8th of Third, two days away from the meeting. I shifted my schedule so I’d land in Canterlot on the 9th. I told Whiskers I had to return to France and I was pleased he was genuinely sad to see me go.

“You done good, Frenchie. You ever need a place t’ stay, you just stop by my son’s and he’ll help you out.”

Merci, Monsieur Whiskers. I cannot thank you enough for the kindness you and your family have shown to me. Until next time, Monsieur.”

I trotted off and headed for Roundhouse’s place. I knew he was on the Baltimare run and wouldn’t be home until 11th and by that time I’d be long gone. In between one alleyway and the next, I became myself again.

I found the key under the mat and went in. The house had become as familiar to me as the Homestead, and I gave it another good cleaning before I settled in. I lit a fire even though Spring was almost here and had some black tea which Roundhouse had started stocking for me. I thought tomorrow I’d spend some time with the Guard. That way I’d be in the palace for the meeting at 6 without arousing anypony’s suspicions.

So it was finally time, I thought. I checked my magic which was stronger than ever. I was also healthier and more fit than I expected. Living as an Earth pony for months really did have its advantages, I tell you what. Yes, I was ready.

I was drifting and wondering if I could sneak in a visit to Ren when I heard a knock on the door. I answered it, still half asleep and ready to turn away whoever it was.

It was Applejack.

I froze in place, too surprised to even take a step back.

“May I come in?” asked AJ.

I stepped aside and opened the door all the way.

AJ walked in, put her saddlebags next to mine and then stood. I gestured toward a chair and she sat down.

It was still light enough to see, but I lit an oil lamp anyway and looked AJ over carefully. She didn’t look very good. Her coat was unbrushed and had some patches, her mane and tail were tangled and she was far thinner than she should be. Even her hat was dirtier than usual. Without asking, I served her some tea which she drank. When she finished, I took her cup and mine to the sink, then lay in front of the fireplace facing her.

“You look good, Ben.”

“Thank you,” I said. “How is Airlie?”

AJ smiled just a little. “Racing around and talking a mile a minute. She misses her Dad, though.”

I nodded but didn’t say anything.

“May I lie next to ya?”

I turned around and shifted over, leaving AJ enough room. She got off of her chair and stretched out in front of the fireplace about six inches from me. I looked at her, then stared at the fire.

“Maker…” she started, then stopped.

I was still.

“Benjamin, I was…wrong t’ send you away and to treat you the way I did. Lady Astrid, she was the only pony who’d talk to me at Year’s End. She told me…well, she …let’s just say I understand now,” AJ finished, looking down at the hearth.

I said nothing.

“I’m leavin’ the farm, Ben. I’m takin’ Airlie and we’re going further South.”

I just nodded.

“I…wanted to see you before…ya know. I know you could never forgive me…”

“Oh, I forgive you, AJ,” I said.

“…but I didn’t want you t’ go without…what?”

I looked over at AJ. Her green eyes, those marvelous green eyes, were huge in her too-thin face.

“I forgive you, AJ, of course I do. You’re my best filly, after all. All you had to do was ask.” I stood. “Say, are you hungry? Roundhouse usually keeps a pretty well-stocked larder.”

I walked into the kitchen, pulled odds and ends out of the icebox and put them on a platter.

“How does Golden Delicious, cabbage and kale sound?” I called over my shoulder.

AJ didn’t answer, so I picked up the platter and carried it into the living room.

AJ had both hooves over her muzzle, eyes squeezed shut with tears leaking out and running onto the rug. She was crying so hard her body was vibrating like a rung bell. I put down the platter, slid in next to her, put a forehoof over her back, wrapped her in my magic field and held her next to me.

AJ really started sobbing then. I’d never seen her like this since she wasn’t a crier and hated it when she did. These were long, loud, heart-wrenching sobs, though, a release from six months of misery, crushing guilt and worry. I sent her love, all my love for her which hadn’t changed at all and never would. I sent her I was Guardian and I’d stop the World from spinning to protect her and Airlie.

AJ cried herself out in a couple of minutes, then collapsed into a deep sleep, most likely the first real sleep she’d had since I left. I used magic to clean her muzzle, brush her coat, untangle her mane and tail, trim and polish her hooves (still wearing her silver horseshoe, I noticed), clean her ears and teeth and even to clean her hat. I also fixed a few muscle pulls and straightened her spine; she always got out of alignment during Harvest. I put her into Roundhouse’s bed and shut the bedroom door, then ate some of the supper I’d prepared.

Mares, I thought as I cleaned up the kitchen. Who would be without them?

The Beginning

Where true Love burns,
Desire is Love's pure flame;
It is the reflex of our Earthly frame,
That takes its meaning from the nobler part,
And but translates the language of the heart.

“Poems for Lovers and the Well-Married”, The Equestrian Encyclopedia of General Knowledge

I lay in front of the fireplace and it was so comfortable, I soon fell asleep. Likely I’d have slept there all night if AJ hadn’t gotten up and scrabbled around in the kitchen for something to eat. She woke me up, so I lit a lantern with magic and went to check on her. I found her at the icebox stuffing food into her muzzle with both hooves. She looked so guilty when she turned to look at me I couldn’t contain myself. I started laughing and finally put the lamp down so I wouldn’t drop it.

“Ish hngry!” said AJ through a mouthful of cabbage.

“Oh, please, AJ, help yourself. In the morning, we’ll go a few doors up and restock, then have breakfast at an all-you-can-eat about a block from here.”

AJ nodded and kept eating. I snuffed the lamp and went back into the living room. I stoked the fire, then lay in front of it. I’d almost nodded off again when I felt AJ slide in next to me. She reached out, flipped me over and jumped on top. The lovemaking which followed was fierce, almost violent and left us both covered in sweat. We got up without saying a word. I scrubbed down AJ, then showered myself. Both of us fell asleep in front of the fireplace, AJ’s head against my right shoulder in her favorite position.

We both woke up at 6 and it was if we’d never been apart. We put on our pouches and walked to the open-air market, bought several sacks of Winter produce, then restocked Roundhouse’s icebox and larder. I bought a paper from a newspony and around 7 we trotted to The Fanciful Pig. The waitress who took our order squeed over meeting the famous Hero of the Realm and Element of Honesty, then kept bringing platters until AJ finished eating. I had some apples, cabbage and mushrooms, then drank some oolong and read the paper until AJ finished.

Our waitress came back with the manager, chefs, kitchen staff and other wait staff behind her. She had a copy of The Wizard and the Farmer, a little picture book the palace put out after my Hero of the Realm ceremony about how AJ and I met; some of it was even true. AJ and I were Public Figures as well as a Celebrity Couple. I had to ask Shining Armor and Cadence, also a Celebrity Couple, how to handle it at first. Once I got used to it, I enjoyed it, although never as much as AJ who absolutely reveled in it since she loved meeting ponies. We didn’t get much attention in Ponyville, but when we were together we’d draw crowds in Manehatten, Hoofington and of course Canterlot. The downside was much of our life was on display.

“Hero, would you and Mrs. Apple please sign my copy?” said the pretty Earth pony waitress, blushing and holding out the book and a pen. What a sweet filly, I thought.

“I’d be delighted to, young mare,” I said and signed.

I handed the pen to AJ and she smiled and signed as well. She was in the pink again, positively glowing she looked so alive and healthy.

“Thank you so much! Uh, Hero, uh, Mr. Apple, that is…well, we heard you and Mrs. Apple had split up?” asked the waitress. I’d noticed a couple of reporters in the crowd behind her and had a statement ready. You could almost hear the ears perk when I started talking.

“As you know, young mare, Mrs. Apple and I both serve the Crown. At times our service is visible to all, but at other times we must perform a bit of a pantomime to accomplish our mission. I’d never leave Mrs. Apple or the Apples. After all, they’re family. And Mrs. Apple is my best filly,” I said and I took AJ’s hoof. AJ smiled and squeezed my hoof back with a strong grip, eyes tearing.

The crowd sighed and nodded. The reporters scribbled furiously and I suspected we’d be above the fold tomorrow in a couple of dozen papers. A photographer made his way through the crowd.

Canterlot News and Record, Mr. and Mrs. Apple. May I take a photo?”

AJ and I grinned like possums and then saw spots after the flashbulb went off. Other cameraponies came out of nowhere and took pictures. We rose to go, shook hooves with some in the crowd and made our way back to Roundhouse’s. After packing our saddlebags, we had a much slower and more sensual lovemaking session in front of the fireplace.

Afterwards, resting on top if me, AJ said, “Don’t die, alright?”

“I have every reason to live, Heather,” I said and meant every word. “Say, how did you find me?” I asked as we got up.

“You’re not the only one with contacts, Partner,” said AJ, eyes gleaming with mischief.

“You continue to impress and amaze me, Mrs. Apple,”

“Aw, shucks,” AJ said, blushing and scraping her right forehoof on the ground.

I laughed and kissed her again. “Never change, Lover, never!”

We trotted to the train station and as Luck would have it, there was Coal running the Applejack to Hoofington with a stop in Ponyville. We kissed in front of the cab, AJ’s right rear hoof popping and left forehoof holding onto her hat just like our very first kiss (something of a ham, my best filly). We heard bulb after bulb pop and we both knew we had an Iconic Moment. You only get one or two in your public life but when you get one, you know it.

After mugging for the camera, Coal hopped out of the cab and shook both our hooves.

“I knew it was all a big mistake, Mr. and Mrs. Apple, I knew it!”

“Take good care of her, Coal,” I said, returning the shake.

Coal grinned. “Yes, sir! Mrs. Apple has a ride on the best rattler on the line, Mr. Wizard.”

I put AJ in first class, gave her one last kiss and then waved good-bye as the train pulled out right at 9. I made my way back through a cheering crowd, then stopped by Roundhouse’s one last time for a final clean-up including that rug which had a number of interesting stains. So much for a discrete entrance, I thought, but I wouldn’t have missed it for all the tea in China.

I became Pionnier, locked Roundhouse’s front door and made my anonymous way to the palace. I checked the job board on the kitchen loading dock, then asked one of the assistants if anypony had filled the temporary gardener job yet. She directed me around the palace to the gardens and I spent the day trimming roses and preparing the beds for Spring. We had a communal lunch and all the talk was how the Wizard and the Farmer had been playacting for a secret mission and of course they’d never break up.

I worked until quitting time at 5 and collected my 10 bits, not bad pay at all. I showered off in the locker room, then took the service passageways to my old room. I slid in, then changed back to myself. I waited until 10 ‘til 6, then trotted to the service passageway next to the Throne Room. After taking a deep breath, I walked out and went to the Anteroom. Lady Astrid showed up at the same time as did Ren and Lady Gabrielle. I held the door for all three, then followed them in myself as the clock struck 6.

Everypony on my list was there including Carl and Cadence who I never did get a chance to visit. I waved to both, then took my place in front of the group. I heard a commotion from a side room, then in came Princess Luna with Princess Celestia.

“…I was on my way to take a bath, Luna! What in the name of Equestria is so urgent you…?” Celestia noticed the assembled group, then spotted me.

“Why, Benjamin! How marvelous to see you! Are you back from Hot Springs?”

I’d expected some erratic behavior, so I wasn’t as surprised as some of the others. I gave Celestia a half bow while Luna took several steps back.

“Yes, your Highness, I am indeed and we had a marvelous time. Thank you so much for your generosity.”

“Really, Ben, 170 bits in tips? Aren’t you a bit free with the Crown’s money?”

I rose from my bow and smiled. This was the old Celestia, back for just a moment, anyway. I started to speak, then Celestia’s expression changed to one of bewilderment.

“Ben?”

“Here, your Highness.”

“Ben, what are you doing? Aren’t we supposed to leave for Stableside in a few minutes?”

I heard Cadence and Shining Armor gasp, the only two ponies in the room who would have known that reference other than Lady Astrid.

“Oh, yes, Tia! There’s just one thing I need for you to do first, though.” I beckoned her closer.

Tia leaned down and whispered, “What, Ben, what is it?”

“Go to sleep,” I whispered back.

Tia collapsed like a sack of grain. I managed to catch her before her head hit the floor and lay her down gently.

I gave a full bow to Princess Luna, who nodded, then I turned to address the group. Some ponies looked shocked, others sad and others terrified.

“What you just saw is a result of Dark Magic poisoning. To save time, would all mages please join me in a merge? Princess Luna, I would ask the same of you. Chancellor, I don’t mean to leave you out but can explain more fully later if you’d like.”

Chancellor, who looked very old and tired, just raised a hoof. “I know enough already, Ben. It’s fine, go ahead.”

I held out a hoof. Luna, Cadence, Twilight, Lady Astrid, Shining Armor, Ren, Fancy Pants, Fleur-de-Lis, Lyra and Pierre all extended a hoof.

Five minutes later, Cadence, Twilight and Lyra had thrown up and were all in different stages of grief. Carl and Pierre looked stricken and even Princess Luna, the Black Marble Princess, looked tired and sad. Lady Astrid, Fancy Pants and Fleur-de-Lis who knew everything already helped the others recover.

After five more minutes, I went through my usual vomit clean-up, then sat facing a distressed and very worried group of ponies.

“Please help her, Ben, please!” begged Twilight, wringing her hooves.

I nodded. “I plan to, your Highness. I believe I can excise the Dark Magic which has infected her, but I’ll need the combined efforts of this group to destroy it. Also,” I went on, “while Herself will remain free of infection for some time, perhaps months, the infection will return unless I find the source and destroy it.”

“That’s what you’ve been up to, Maker,” said Carl. “That’s why you’re going to the Griffon Lands.”

“Yes, General, and I intend to stop the Dark Magic there no matter what it takes. If I succeed and survive, I’ll see each of you again, here, at 6 o’clock on Midsummer’s Day, 20th of Sixth. If I succeed and don’t survive, Applejack will know, so seek her out after the 20th if I don’t return. If I fail, Applejack will know that as well. If I do fail, each of you must try next, either as a group or individually.”

Carl’s clenched his jaw, an expression I knew well. “You can count on us, Major.”

I smiled at him although I didn’t really feel it. “I know I can, General. Now, then,” I continued briskly, “let’s see if I’m as good as I think I am.”

That brought a few chuckles from the stallions and Fleur; even Luna looked less intense.

I called my magic and drew a circle around Celestia who had stayed where I’d put her. The circle’s ends joined with a slight ringing sound and once I heard that, I powered on my magic as strongly as it would go. I heard the walls and floor start to hum in sympathetic vibration, but I contained every bit of it inside that circle. Slowly I lifted the circle up from the floor and through Celestia. As I hoped, my healing magic captured the Dark Magic like fish in a net.

Soon I had a floating circle full of a sickly green, writhing mass. I closed the magic circle on it and squeezed it into a ball. I damped down my magic until the vibrations stopped, then turned to the mages.

“Everypony, please wrap this ball in a Level 3 Defensive spell, and when I shout ‘NOW’, squeeze it for all you’re worth. Is everypony ready?”

The mages nodded and lit their horns. A low, steady HUMMMM filled the anteroom.

“Set? NOW!” I shouted.

The hum raised in pitch, then kept climbing. I squeezed right along with everypony else. The Dark Magic resisted for a few moments, then winked out like a snuffed candle.

“Hold it!”

Horns went dark.

“That’s got it, my friends. I thank you,” I said as I wiped sweat away with a handkerchief. I turned to Celestia who had slept through all of it as I intended. I healed some internal organ damage and aligned her spine which stress had warped terribly. There was some muscle wasting as well but my worst fear that the magic would have damaged her brain proved unfounded.

After I finished healing, I looked to Princess Luna. She nodded, used magic to carry Celestia to bed, then came back to the waiting group.

“She’ll sleep for days, your Highness, then most likely have no memory of the last three months or so. Perhaps a story of a brain fever?” I suggested.

“I’ll think of something,” said Luna. “I thank you, Hero, for giving me my sister back. The last few months have been…trying…on all of us.”

I nodded, then turned to Carl and Cadence. “May I have a lift with you two tomorrow? I’ll hop a freight in the Crystal Empire to the end of the line.”

Even as trying as the evening had been, Carl and Cadence both smiled. “You’d be more than welcome, Ben,” said Cadence. “Our special leaves at 8:30.”

I gave Cadence a half bow. “My thanks to you, your Highness. That’s it, everypony,” I continued. “Confidence is high.”

The meeting broke up. I spent some time with Chancellor who looked slightly less tired, then talked to Twilight.

“Did AJ find you, Ben,” said Twilight, a little uncertain.

“Ah-hah! So you’re the unnamed contact, your Highness!”

Twilight gave a tentative smile. “She’d been so miserable, Ben, when she came to ask me I was more than happy to help. It took me months to find you, though. How did you avoid Pony Locator?”

I looked at her sideways with a raised eyebrow.

“Oh, Ben, you’re always playing the Mysterious Wizard,” said Twilight, smacking my shoulder.

“Look to tomorrow’s paper to see the results of your meddling, your Highness,” I said.

“I don’t med…wait, you’re together again? Oh, how wonderful!” Twilight grabbed me in a hug, then pulled back.

“Please be careful, Ben,” she said and kissed my muzzle. “There are ponies who love you and want you back.”

“Always, your Highness. And, your Highness?”

Twilight raised her eyebrows in inquiry.

“Pruuuuunes.”

Twilight giggled, then smacked my shoulder again. “Quit or I’ll tell Carl!” she said, then waved good-bye.

I spoke to some of the others including Ren who gave me a very arch look as she left. I grinned back, then accepted a quick kiss from Lady Astrid. I thought I was the last to leave but Luna had stayed behind and was so quiet I didn’t notice her.

“Maker.”

I turned, startled. “Apologies, your Highness. I thought I was the only one here.”

“Maker, I want to thank you for all you’ve done for the Crown. You are…a stallion of good character,” said Luna, then looked down and sighed.

“No, that wasn’t what I meant to say.”

“Your Highness, that is more than praise enough and I thank you. You’ve done wonders holding the kingdom together these past few months. May I suggest you take a Spa Day, or in your case a Spa Evening, in Ponyville? No charge for royalty, you know. Oh, and we have preening services now.”

Luna looked surprised. “You would have me go to a spa? With the state of the World as it is?”

“Your Highness, you’ve been under enormous pressure. You must take care of yourself. Besides, your Highness, if I’ve learned nothing these last six months, it’s to live life to the fullest and to seize each day. You making yourself sick accomplishes nothing.”

Luna gave me a small smile. “Spoken like a mechanic, Hero.” She looked alarmed for a moment, then sighed again. “Apologies, Hero. I’m not very good at dealing with others.”

“Not at all, your Highness; I am a mechanic after all. Perhaps you need to find somepony like my business partner did and let them do all the talking. Still, I can think of no place you’re needed more desperately than when you’re surrounded by volatile, manic and emotional ponies.”

Luna looked surprised again, then thoughtful. “I…hadn’t thought of it that way before. I thank you again, Maker.”

I gave a full bow. “Your Highness. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to turn in early.”

Luna nodded and I turned to go.

“Maker.”

I turned back.

“Call me ‘Luna’ when it’s just us or Tia and us.”

I gave another half bow. “It would be my honor…Luna.”

Luna smiled and nodded again. I made my way back to my room, tired but calm. I will save this World, I thought, and with that dropped off to sleep.

I woke up at 6, refreshed and ready for the day. I trotted downstairs to the officer’s mess and had the place almost to myself until the DC marched in two brand-new lieutenants. He sat them down, then asked me if I’d quiz them on some of the basics and not make it too easy. In between bites of their breakfast, I had them recite the Guard’s Credo, asked some questions about strategy and tactics, then had them stretch a bit on a couple of imaginary battle scenarios. Both did well and I told the DC as much as I left. Good stallions.

I activated Conceal and trotted toward the train depot. On the way, I was very pleased to hear the newsboys call out headlines such as “Read all about it! Apple Breakup Rumors False!” and “Wizard Says He’ll Never Leave Farm Family!” I stopped by a newsstand and stood to the side. In every paper above the fold was the picture of AJ and me kissing in front of the Applejack. Coal was leaning out of the cab grinning down at both of us. Not a bad shot of Coal, either, I thought. That picture may make his career. Sales were brisk, too.

I found the Crystal Empire Special and slipped into the trailing car. The special had four cars including a bar and kitchen, a very nice bedroom, a bathroom with a shower and a parlor car which doubled as a dining car. I tossed my saddlebags into the parlor, then made my way back to the bar. Decidedly not the cleanest. There was some dry rot in the bar itself, too. I looked out the windows to make sure I didn’t have any company, then lowered all the windows and opened the skylight. I removed all the dirt, dust and sticky spills and sent it out the windows, pulled all the glasses and bottles out from behind and underneath the bar, cleaned those, then cleaned the bar’s underside and storage which were a filthy mess.

I fixed the dry rot, then polished the wood, mirror and brass. The car itself needed some work, too, which I did. Shocking lack of maintenance both inside and out, I thought. When all was clean, I put the glasses and bottles back in good order, keeping a 12oz bottle of 100-year-old Sweet Apple Acres apple brandy for myself. I fixed a few of the windows and the seal on the skylight, then moved to the kitchen. Somepony had cleaned it well, at least, so I just scoured the surfaces as usual and had a Golden Delicious as a snack. I moved on to the bedroom.

Cadence and Carl had left it a mess as I expected; neither was much of a housekeeper. The sheets reminded me of the rug I’d cleaned at Roundhouse’s, so I started with those, then did the mattress and the bed itself. The floor needed all sorts of attention from loose boards to polishing, so I took care of that, then polished the bed and other furniture. The bathroom was in such a state I had to use stronger magic than I expected but at last I could see the tiles’ original color and had the fixtures gleaming. Unclogged the sink’s drain, too.

That left the parlor which was in pretty good shape. There was the usual tiresome velvet hangings and so on, but I finished it far more quickly than the other rooms. I felt the cars shift as the engine hooked up at 8, so I made sure I was out of sight of the windows as the engineer pulled the cars to the passenger depot.

Carl and Cadence boarded at 8:25 with a mob of reporters following. I ducked back into a closet and signaled to Cadence as she came into the parlor. She gave me a rueful smile, then she and Carl waved out the windows until the train was well away from the station.

I stepped out of the closet.

“Greetings, fellow Celebrity Couple! I must say, you…oof!”

Cadence and Carl both raced over and hurled themselves into my forehooves. Both were shaking. I’d become so used to Dark Magic and saving the World I’d forgotten how frightened I was at first. Carl and Cadence only found out about it yesterday and had put up a brave front until now.

I wrapped my magic field around both. I felt their fields surge to meet mine. Carl’s I knew as well as I knew my own but it was my first time with Cadence. Her usually sweet and gentle self was terrified for her subjects and Carl was afraid for her and for the Crystal Empire; neither had forgotten Sombra, either. I sent them the same reassurance I’d sent Alistair and Fleur. I am Guardian, I’ll give my life for you. I am Guardian, do not fear, I’ve trained for this, this is my Purpose. Confidence is high.

Soon both stopped shaking but neither let go for a good while. When they did, both wiped their muzzles on my shoulders. Hmm, I see why the bedroom was such a mess.

“Please save us, Ben,” said Cadence, sounding worried and tired. Carl just nodded in agreement.

“I have every intention of doing so, Cadence. Oh, and I see congratulations are in order.”

“What for, Ben?” said Cadence, looking puzzled.

“Why, for the foal, of course,” I said, puzzled myself.

“What foal, Maker?” asked Carl, equally at a loss.

They didn’t know! I pointed to Cadence’s stomach. “Yours, doofus.”

Cadence looked down at herself, then at Carl, then at me, then down at herself again.

“You…you mean…?” she started, then screamed with joy and threw herself into Carl’s forehooves. He twirled her around and around the parlor car, heedless of the furniture or anything else. Both were laughing and carrying on and I laughed right along with them.

“You’ll love it, both of you, and you’ll be excellent par…oof!”

I found my forehooves full of my friends again. Eh, well.