• Published 24th Nov 2016
  • 498 Views, 4 Comments

The Life and Times of Benjamin Inventor (Part 3) - Bsherrin



Benjamin learns his Purpose, why the Authorities sent him to Equestria and travels to the Griffon Lands to fulfill it.

  • ...
6
 4
 498

Discussion and Resolution

Discussion and Resolution

Some Cranes made their feeding grounds on some plowlands newly sown with wheat. For a long time the Farmer, brandishing an empty sling, chased them away by the terror he inspired; but when the birds found that the sling was only swung in the air, they ceased to take any notice of it and would not move. The Farmer, on seeing this, charged his sling with stones, and killed a great number. The remaining birds at once forsook his fields, crying to each other, “It is time for us to be off to Lilliput: for this man is no longer content to scare us, but begins to show us in earnest what he can do.”

Moral: If words suffice not, blows must follow.

“Tales for Foals”, The Equestrian Encyclopedia of General Knowledge

We all woke up together and had breakfast. Rainbow Dash gave both of us a Pegasus Farewell, then shot into the air, in a hurry as usual. After Rainbow Dash left, AJ put her hooves around my chest and chewed on my left ear.

“Thanks, Partner,” she said.

“My pleasure as always, AJ,” I answered back, holding onto her hooves with my right forehoof.

“I love you, Heather,” I added. “Have I told you lately? I’m sorry if I sometimes forget.”

AJ buried her muzzle in my neck. “I love you, too, Maker,” she said in a muffled voice. “So much! I thank the Magic every day for you, for us, for the family and for Airlie.”

I nodded. I was going to live my life to the fullest until next Third. I wasn’t going to waste a minute and I was going to let everypony know just how much they meant to me, starting with Jon.

I patted AJ, and then leaned back for a deep kiss. “Off to work,” I said, untangling myself. Before I left, I went into the baby’s room and played with Airlie a few minutes, holding her close.

“Pthhhh! Gaaaah!” said Airlie, giggling and waving her front hooves as I blew on her stomach. A happy foal.

I kissed her good-bye, and then headed out the door.

I trotted along, enjoying the pleasant weather.

Guardian.

My Lady Magic! And a good day to You this beautiful morning, my Lady.

Guardian, you…Know.

Yes. I’m ready, my Lady.

Oh, Guardian, I’m so sorry.

Lady Magic sounded heartbroken.

Now, now, my Lady, none of that and no regrets. I knew I’d have to pay the Price eventually. Besides, I have more than enough time to get things settled. Say, did You know Death has picked out an Apprentice?

I could feel Lady Magic’s sad smile.

No, Guardian, I didn’t know.

I filled in Lady Magic as I walked and told Her what my plans were. She listened, not saying anything.

Once you begin, I can’t stay with you, Guardian. I’ve done all I could to prepare the way for you. You’ll be on your own.

I know, my Lady. It’s what I’ve trained for all this time.

I love you, Guardian. I…didn’t want to, at least not this much, but I do.

My Lady, haven’t You heard? I’m…

…irresistible, yes, I’ve heard, you scamp!

I laughed, then quieted. And I love You, my Lady. Confidence is high.

Yes. Confidence is high, Guardian.

And she was gone.

I got to the workshop a little after 7, greeted Mrs. Grass and Maggie, then joined Jon at breakfast. I had tea and visited with all three. We talked about Maggie’s lessons and Lauryn becoming her assistant, the workshop schedule and the week’s work.

“Jon, when you’re finished breakfast, may I have a moment?”

“Of course, Mr. Apple,” he said, in between carrots, his favorite.

When Jon finished and helped Mrs. Grass and Maggie clean up the kitchen, he and I walked out to my spot by the Gorge. The Sun was well up and it was going to be another hot day.

I took a breath. “Jon,” I said, “I’ve told you about Fall?”

Jon nodded. “Yes, sir, your old Apprentice.”

“Fall just turned 18. As a birthday present, I’m going to give her the aeroplane.”

“That’s most generous, sir.”

“I’m also going to let her license the patents on it, then give them to her outright in five years.”

“Mr. Apple! Those are worth a fortune!” said Jon, stunned.

I just smiled. “Nopony can keep a patent on an invention like the aeroplane, Jon. In ten years, they’ll be 20 different workshops making some version of it. But I want Fall to open her own shop and start making them first which will give her a leg up on the competition. And I want you, sir, to build me a better version of Apple Bloom for Lord Cecil and then one for me, perhaps with an aluminum skin and hydraulic controls.”

Jon nodded again. “You can count on me, Mr. Apple!”

“Can I now? Can I indeed? I’m not so sure, Jon. You keep refusing to go to Hoofington. I want you to come with me to deliver the aeroplane and to meet Fall.”

“No,” said Jon, looking away from me.

“I see, I see. Your personal life is your own, sir, but refusing to deal with one of the finest machine shops in the World and leaving it all up to me…well, sir, your cowardly behavior is starting to effect my business.”

Jon’s head whipped around. “What did you just call me?”

“Coward,” I said, standing and walking away from Jon. I heaved a deep sigh and made “um-um-um” noises, pretending I was disgusted. “A shame, really. And I had such high hopes for you, Jon.”

I saw Jon out of the corner of my eye toss away his glasses. Here it comes, I thought.

Jon grabbed my shoulder, spun me around and clipped me on the jaw, knocking me on my tail.

“Nopony calls me coward, you effete, pompous jerk, nopony!”

I jumped up. “Well, well, it seems the coward may have a spark of courage in him after all. Bring it, you miserable punk!”

Jon gave an inarticulate yell and swung at me. He and I had boxed a couple of times a week for months now under Maggie’s training. I’d improved greatly but Jon had honed himself into one of the finest boxers I’d ever seen. He used his left like a pile driver and was amazingly fast.

He wasn’t holding back this time at all. Most fights last 20 to 30 seconds, but I knew Jon’s tricks and he knew mine, so for a minute or so we exchanged blows, each blocking the other. Jon’s one weakness was he would occasionally drop his right when he was excited. He finally did and I gave him several rapid-fire punches in the ribs.

His breath exploded out of his muzzle and he staggered back.

“Hah!” I said. “Had enough, punk?”

Jon suddenly became very focused, his dark green eyes full of fire.

Uh-oh, I thought, and braced myself.

Jon came at me like a whirlwind. I defended myself as best as I could, but I knew I didn’t have much of a chance. Soon enough, that left of his caught me under the jaw. I saw stars, and then felt my back hit the ground. I was dizzy for a moment, looking up at the blue sky. Jon’s head blocked my line of vision, both of his hooves still raised.

“Who’s a coward now, you son of a khamer?!?”

I turned my head to the left, spit, then smiled with bloody teeth. Then started laughing.

Jon looked puzzled, and then looked first at one forehoof, then at the other. He looked appalled, then resigned. He sat down next to me, reaching for his glasses and putting them on.

“I’ve done it again,” he said, ears drooping. “I’ve ruined my life again.”

“Perhaps, perhaps not. Tell me how you ruined it the first time,” I said, still on my back.

“I’m the youngest of four brothers. I’d just turned 17 and was working the line. My oldest brother came over and started criticizing the way I was doing something, I don’t remember what. I lost my temper and popped him one. He came at me, and I knocked him out. Dad came running over and tried to stop us and I swung at him, too. I just clipped his jaw, but the look he gave me! I told him I didn’t need him or his miserable shop, that I’d succeed on my own and stomped out. You know the rest.”

I looked over at him, then sat up, feeling my jaw. Ouch!

“That’s it, Jon? You mean to tell me you haven’t been back home and almost starved to death because you got in a fight with your brother and took a swipe at your dad? That’s the reason?” I started laughing again and shook my head.

“It’s not funny, Mr. Apple!”

“Oh, Jon, you sap, of course it isn’t. But only because of the way you behaved, not because of what happened.” I turned to face Jon, his ears still drooping. “Listen, when I started Courting Mrs. Apple, I went to my first Apple Family Reunion. The only stallion who knew me was Big Mac. He, Turnip Truck, Braeburn and half a dozen others took me off into a field and came at me, first one at a time, then all at once. I gave as good as I got and didn’t use magic once. We beat the daylights out of each other, then they carried me on their shoulders back to the main group. We shared a round of apple cider, cuts, bruises, black eyes, bloody noses and all. And that was the end of it.” I paused. “Magic, AJ and Granny were furious! But the other stallions knew I could take care of myself and would be an asset to the family.”

Jon looked up, his ears perking again.

I flopped back down and stared at a passing cloud. “You were a teenage stallion, Jon. And they’re family. Of course they’ve forgiven you. I’ll bet they’re worried sick, particularly your poor mother.”

“But, I…well, I shouldn’t have…”

“Enough, sir, enough! You’re still thinking like a teenager. You’re a grown stallion now and a partner in an extremely successful business. Grow up, stallion! And,” I continued, knowing this was the clincher, “a certain pink pony would like to spend the rest of her life with you and have your foals. Family is very important to her, though, and she won’t take you unless she can meet yours.”

“Wait, you mean Pinkamena?” asked Jon, ears all the way forward now.

“No, the Mare in the Moon. Of course Pinkamena, you dolt! For such a smart pony, you’re awfully slow at times, Jon.” I shifted and held out a hoof. “Help me up.”

Jon lifted me to my hooves. I shook myself off and started back toward the workshop, Jon pacing me.

“Well, shall we say Hoofington three days from now? Let’s see, that’s 5th of Seventh. I’ll go send a telegram to Fall, shall I?” The swelling should be down by then, I thought with some amusement.

I realized I was talking to the air. I looked back and there stood Jon, wide-eyed with shock.

“Mr. Apple?”

“Yes, sir?”

“Mr. Apple…did you just say ‘partner’?”

“I did, Jon. I’m giving you half of the workshop; that is, if you’re through beating on me and we can get on with it. I ordered the new stationery and crate covers for Apple and Smithson Manufacturing last week. The logo is your gears over AJ’s cutie mark although we can change it if you don’t like it. And we can get Adding Machine to draw up a contract if you think we need one. I don’t ever read them, myself, but it’s up to you.”

“Mr. Apple…I don’t know what to say,” said Jon, hooves on either side of this muzzle. “I...I’ve done it. I’ve done it!! I’ve…succeeded!”

“Call me ‘Ben’, Jon, now that we’re partners.”

Jon raced up to me, seized my right hoof and wrung it. “Oh, thank you, Mr. Apple, er, ah, Ben, yes, thank you, Ben. I can go back home now! Oh, gosh, I’ve got to tell Pinkamena. Can I go and tell her, Ben?”

“You may do what you please, sir. You don’t work for me anymore but for yourself, so your hours are your own.”

“Back later!” said Jon as he waved and galloped off.

Heh, well, that’s done. Hmm, ‘khamer’. Yiddish for ‘donkey’. ‘Effete’, was I? Well, perhaps a bit. At least Jon didn’t call me ‘bulvan’.

I walked into the kitchen and called for Winter. Mrs. Grass turned and saw my swollen jaw.

“Land sakes, Mr. Apple, what’s happened to you this time?”

“Just trading some boxing tips with my new partner, Mrs. Grass.” Mrs. Grass knew a week ago I was going to offer Jon half the shop and approved heartily.

“Oh, you two stallions, you’re worse than foals sometimes!” Mrs. Grass made clucking sounds just as Winter showed up with the first aid kit and ice pack. Winter just smiled at me and gently held the pack against my jaw.

“Thanks, hon.” Yes, the week was off to a very good start.

5th of Seventh Jon and I boarded the Apple Bloom a little before 8, Jon as happy as I’d ever seen him. We took off and flew toward Hoofington with about an hour’s flight ahead of us. Hopefully Fall would fly us back on 6th, but if not we’d catch the train.

As usual, Jon was quiet. He finally spoke.

“Ben?”

“Speak.”

“I asked Pinkamena to marry me yesterday afternoon after work.”

“Did you? Why, that’s marvelous, Jon! What did she say?”

Jon laughed. “She bounced off of the walls, then raced outside shouting, ‘He finally asked, he finally asked!’ Then she threw a party which she put together in about twenty minutes. About an hour later, she realized she’d never said ‘yes’, so she got one of the Weather Patrol to write ‘YES!!’ with clouds at Sunset.”

I laughed. “I saw that! So that’s what it was. Sounds like Pinkie, sure enough. When’s the wedding?”

“30th of Sixth. We hoped you’d sing for us at the reception.”

“A pleasure, sir.”

Jon went quiet again.

“How’s the jaw?”

“Fine, fine.”

More quiet.

“I owe you everything,” he said after a few minutes, looking straight ahead. “Everything.”

“No, Jon, you don’t. I’m the one who has benefited most from meeting you and having you at the shop. What you have, you’ve earned.”

Jon looked at me, and then quickly wiped his eyes. “I’m not very good with…feelings.”

“Is that right? Well, I’m so glad you’re around to tell me these things.”

Jon flashed me a quick grin, and then looked straight ahead again.

“Thanks, Ben.”

I leaned over and put a hoof on his shoulder, then extended my magical field around him. He couldn’t feel it like another mage, but he certainly Felt something.

“You’re welcome, Jon. And besides,” I said as I withdrew my field, “with Pinkie around, you can outsource your feelings to her and most likely never have to worry about them again.”

We shared a laugh at that.

We landed a couple of minutes after 9, not bad at all since we’d flown with a headwind. There to meet us was Fall waving frantically with several more Earth ponies behind her. I opened the aeroplane’s door and galloped to meet her.

“Fall!”

“Boss! Boss! Boss!”

We slammed into one another. Fall picked me up and twirled me around just the way I used to do to her. She kissed my nose, and then hugged me hard enough to squeeze the breath out of me.

“My filly, my beautiful, smart, wonderful filly!” I heard myself saying and realized I was talking to Fall the same way I did to Airlie; I didn’t care, I was so delighted to see her.

“Boss, I’m so glad you’re here! I can’t wait to show you my latest project! Oh, and here come the Smithsons!” said Fall, foreleg draped over my shoulder.

Four Earth ponies had waited for me to greet Fall first were walking toward us. I’d gotten to know the father Josiah Smithson pretty well over the last few years and often talked with Amos Smithson, the eldest, when I’d visited. Now that I knew they were Jon’s father and brother, the family resemblance was very strong.

“Good week to you, Mr. Apple,” said Josiah. “Be welcome!”

“Thank you, sir, a pleasure to be here,” I answered, shaking hooves. “And thank you for taking such good care of Fall. She rants about you and the others.”

“Oy, such a worker she is, all over the shop, into everything! We can’t run the place without her now!”

Amos nodded along with his two brothers. “It’s true, Mr. Apple. She’s a gem, she is.”

Fall just giggled and waved a hoof. “You guys!” Her dimples were as fetching as ever, I noticed.

“Oh, and Mr. Smithson, I believe you know I’ve taken on a partner at the workshop.”

“We heard this from Fall, Mr. Apple. Congratulations!”

“Yes, he is a wonder. I believe you’ve already met?”

I signaled the plane and out stepped Jon.

For a few seconds, there was total silence, then pandemonium. Jon may not have been good at expressing his feelings, but his father and brothers certainly didn’t share the trait. They all shouted at once, then galloped over and surrounded Jon, each crying and laughing at the same time. Mr. Smithson, Sr. kept yelling, “My son! My son! My son!” over and over again while Jon’s brothers kept shouting questions, some in Yiddish and others in Equestrian. Jon embraced his father, then each of his brothers, tears running down his muzzle as he apologized and tried to explain at the same time. Fall and I just watched, pleased at the reunion.

Finally the Smithsons sorted themselves out and came back our way. When they got to Fall and me, Josiah reached out, took me in his forehooves and kissed both my cheeks.

“It’s a miracle you’ve brought me, Mr. Apple, a miracle. We’d given up Jon for lost. You’ve returned my youngest to me.”

“It was my pleasure, sir.”

“Come! Everypony, come! Today we celebrate! Come! No more work today,” yelled Josiah, waving his forehooves as he walked off and his sons followed. Jon looked back at me and grinned. I just waved and said, “You can introduce yourself to Fall later, Jon.”

“Oh, Boss, you’ve done it again!” said Fall, hugging my left foreleg.

“Who’s your favorite wizard, Punkin’?”

“You are, Boss,” she said cheerfully, rubbing her muzzle on the top of my head and hugging my leg even tighter. “You are.”

And celebrate we did including all 50 employees of Smithson and Sons, uncles, cousins, friends, everypony. It reminded me of one of Pinkie’s parties, it was so lively. I danced a few traditional dances with the other stallions, then withdrew to have a little peace. Jon’s mother, very much the matriarch of the clan, found me on a balcony overlooking the factory.

“I want to thank you, Mr. Apple. Our Jon is back again. And there’s more to his story than he’s telling his loving mother, I’m sure. I’ll get it out of him eventually,” said Mrs. Smithson, her mouth a flat line.

“Jon has been invaluable to me, Mrs. Smithson. He’s brilliant and a first rate mechanic.”

Slightly mollified for a moment, Mrs. Smithson’s gaze intensified again.

“And what is this about a pink pony? Is it a filly he’s found?”

“Yes, ma’am. It’s Libe Bay Ershter Derzen,” I said.

“Oy vey! This I know only from the mare’s tales. It’s true?”

I nodded. “It is. He asked her to marry him yesterday.”

“She comes from a good family?”

“One of the best and most respected, Mrs. Smithson. He’s done very well for himself. And she has all the, shall we say, liveliness our Jon sometimes lacks.”

Mrs. Smithson nodded. “Been like that since he was a foal. I used to worry, I did.”

“And Mrs. Smithson,” I said, looking over her ample frame.

Mrs. Smithson raised her eyebrows in curiosity.

“She’s a baker,” I finished.

Mrs. Smithson looked startled a moment, then smiled a broad smile. “I can’t wait to meet her, Mr. Apple, I can’t wait.”

I smiled and gave a half bow as she headed back to the party. A few minutes later, Fall found me. She looked radiant in her new dress and matching bow.

“Fall, you’re more lovely than ever, I must say.”

An elated Fall gave me a dazzling smile, then wrapped her hooves around my left foreleg. She kissed the top of my head just as I predicted she’d be able to do. We both looked out at the factory, the storage areas and the finished products next to the rail line ready for loading in the morning.

“Isn’t it beautiful?” said Fall with a sigh of contentment.

“It is, Fall,” I agreed. I reached into my pouch and handed her a bundle of papers. “Here, I was going to give these to you later but now is as a good a time as any. Happy 18th birthday, Punkin’!”

“What are they, Boss?” asked Fall, taking them.

“The patents for the aeroplane. I’ve licensed them to you and in five years, they’re yours. Oh, and I’m giving you the Apple Bloom as well. You can use her as a model for what you’re going to build next. You may want to subcontract to Smithson and Sons before you decide to open your own shop although that’s up to you.”

Fall stared at the patents, her eyes huge. “But, Boss…these…”

“I’m your boss no longer, Punkin’. We’re peers. Call me ‘Benjamin’ or ‘Ben’ if ‘Benjamin’ is too long.”

“But Boss…er, Mr. Apple, I mean, Ben, oh, forget it!”

Fall dropped the patents, grabbed my muzzle in both her hooves and kissed me on the mouth. It wasn’t a particularly good kiss since it was a bit too hard for comfort (lack of experience, I thought) but it was heartfelt. I tasted Autumn leaves, sheaves of corn and cool, dry mornings, just like her namesake. Brilliant mechanic she may be but Earth pony she was first and foremost.

Fall broke off the kiss but kept her hooves on either side of my muzzle. She stared into my eyes.

“I owe you everything. Everything!”

Déjà vu! Well, same speech, then. “No, Miss Brickle tertius, you do not. What you have, you have earned yourself. I was fortunate enough to help you from time to time, but it is I who have benefited the most from having you in my life. I couldn’t imagine my life without you in it and I’ll love you like a daughter for the rest of my days in this World.” I wrapped my magical field around Fall like I’d done with Jon, then pulled it back.

“Quit talking, Ben, quit!” said Fall, releasing my muzzle and wiping her overflowing eyes with both hooves.

“Still don’t carry a handkerchief, do you, Punkin’?” I said, handing her one.

Fall laughed through her happy tears, then wiped her eyes and blew her nose.

“I do have one last thing to teach you, Journeymare,” I said, handing her the patents she’d dropped.

“What’s that, Ben?” Fall said.

“Lean down. Good. Now, say ‘pruuuuuuuunes’.”

“Pruuuu…” Fall said, obediently.

I cut her off with a gentle kiss very like Ren’s, holding it for a couple of seconds. After I pulled back, I tugged her right ear and said, “Now, wasn’t that better?”

Fall looked astonished, putting her left forehoof to her lips. Then she smiled that wonderful smile of hers, tilted her head back and laughed. She grabbed me up in her forehooves and twirled me around again.

“Yes, yes, yes, it is better, Ben! Thank you, thank you!”

“I have to tell Mr. Smithson and the brothers!” Fall continued excitedly, as she put me down. “I’ll see you later, Boss!” And off she galloped, yelling for Mr. Smithson and waving the patents.

I grinned after her, then turned back to the factory. Each day to the fullest, I reminded myself. Not doing too badly, either, I tell you what.

I slid out of the party which was still going strong at 8:30 and looked to go on for some time to come. Smithson Hall, built over generations, was four times the size of the Homestead but a cute maid directed me to my room for the night. I fell asleep to the faint sounds of revelry.

I woke up at my usual 6, Sun streaming in my bedroom window. I went through my morning ablutions, cleaned the room top to bottom (beautiful teak paneling), packed my saddlebags, put on my pouch and went in search of some food. I made my way past the ballroom where we’d had the party last night. There was all sorts of detritus including a few ponies passed out in various positions. I didn’t see Fall or Jon, so I moved on.

I made my way to the lowest part of the mansion and found a huge kitchen. The staff was up and working, so I asked another server if I could get some breakfast. He pointed to a pony who reminded me of Steel Ladle. I walked over and greeted him.

“Good morning to you, Chef. Might I get a bite to eat this morning?”

“We serve breakfast at 7:00, sir” he said, not turning from the oatmeal.

I thought I recognized a particular accent, so I said, “`A`ohe lokomaika`i i nele i ke pâna`I” which translates roughly to “No kind deed has ever lacked its reward”.

The chef slowly turned around, looked at me and said in the same language, “And how is it some unicorn Other from the Outer Reaches knows the language of the Ponies?”

“I know Steel Ladle from working at the Palace in Canterlot. Is he a Pony you know?”

“He is my Younger Brother.”

“A grand Pony he is. He has Warmth in his Hale and Joyful Living in his Heart.”

The chef gestured to another pony. As the other pony came over to stir the oatmeal, the chef said, “Eat with me.”

I nodded. “You have my thanks and it is my honor.”

Without further ado, the chef brought out Summer squash, leeks, kale, spinach, some cabbage and some apples. The apples were Airlie Red, too, which gave me great pleasure.

We ate in silence. Finally the chef said, “I give you my True Name.” What followed was a string of syllables which translated to “Keeper of Prosperity”. “The Others call me Silver Ladle, though, if you wish to use that.”

“You honor me with your True Name, Keeper of Prosperity. My family name is ‘Apple’, my first ‘Benjamin’ and my True Name is ‘Maker’.

“’Maker’? Like in the foal’s tale?”

“The same.”

Silver Ladle let out a belly laugh at that. “Truly?”

I laughed along with him. “Yes, when I married into the Apple family, they gave me that Name.”

Silver Ladle smiled, and then became serious and switched to Equestrian. “There is a geas upon you, Maker.”

“Yes, I know.”

Silver Ladle nodded. “You are brave, Maker.”

“No, Silver Ladle, but I understand this is the Price.”

“Wise, too,” the chef answered. Then his eyes rolled back in his head. Startled, I extended my healing senses, but Silver Ladle was fine, just with a very slow heart rate. Then he spoke in a voice not his own which sounded like it came from the bottom of a well:

Cursed twice is the land,

Cursed twice, but not by hand,

Cursed by hoof and twisted claw,

All life from the land to draw,

One chance to be undone,

One chance, the two made none,

By the blood of purest heart,

Given freely from the start.

I listened, eyes wide and ears perked; it gave me a shiver, it did. Silver Ladle took a deep breath and then his eyes rolled forward.

“So. It is for you to save us. My father’s grandfather spoke of this time but we thought he was in his dotage.”

“Yes, it’s why the Authorities brought me here. I am Guardian and the Magic of Equestria is my Guide.”

Silver Ladle nodded, and then smiled. “I believe I’ll take some time and visit my homeland. I’ll take my brother with me.” He stood and I did as well. He came around the table and embraced me, massive strength in his muscled forelegs.

“Save us,” said Silver Ladle as he pulled back.

“I will, I swear on my Sacred Honor or I will die trying.” I Felt my magic pulse to the oath.

E pili mau na pomaika`i ia `oe,” said Silver Ladle. May blessings ever be with you.

A hui kaua,” I answered. Until we meet again. “Each day to the fullest,” I added and the chef nodded and smiled.

He shook my hoof, and then went back to work. I made my way outside through the rear entrance and walked around to the factory. I slipped in a side door and worked my way through the foundry and to the project floor. There was a brand new locomotive, a new design as well. A 4-6-2 with four leading wheels on two axles, six powered and coupled driving wheels on three axles, and two trailing wheels on one axle. She had a two-cylinder simplex engine around 220,000 lbs. with 79" drive wheels on long axle centers. She'd run at 220 psi easy, twice that in an emergency. Oh, marvelous, Fall, just marvelous.

“She’s a beauty, isn’t she, Boss?”

“That she is, Fall,” I answered without turning. “She’ll run twice or even three times the freight and four times the passengers.”

Fall came up next to me. “Amos and I designed her and Mr. Smithson told us to go ahead. She’s magic fired, too, so no wood tender. That means she carries four times the water.”

“Excellent, Fall, very well done. Say, what are you doing out here?” I said, turning to her.

“Looking for you, of course. Where else would you be?”

“You had breakfast?”

“I’m just heading that way, Boss.”

“I’ll keep you company, then would you fly me back to Ponyville? I’m betting Jon will want to stay here for a few days to get reacquainted.”

“I like him; he’s nice. And sure, I’ll fly you back.”

We turned and headed back to the main house. Breakfast was very much a communal affair with the Smithsons although a number of ponies this morning looked the worse for wear from their revelries. We sat with Jon, the brothers and Mr. Smithson.

“Ben, I think I’ll stay for a bit,” said Jon.

“I thought you might. Shall I send Pinkie down?”

Jon nodded. “Please ask her to come on 11th on the 8 o’clock out of Ponyville. I’ll meet her at the station. We’ll be back on 15th at the latest.”

“Consider it done, Jon.”

The rest of the conversation was on machines and Fall joined right in. I just listened, pleased to have other like-minded ponies around me. Fall did take a moment to ask about Winter and the baby and I told her both were fine.

Breakfast done, Mr. Smithson and Jon walked Fall and me to the aeroplane. I shook hooves with both Smithsons while Fall warmed up the engine.

“You’re welcome here anytime, Mr. Apple, anytime. And from now on, whatever you need, you just ask,” said Josiah.

“You’ve already given me your most valuable possession, sir, but I thank you for the offer nonetheless. Jon, I’ll look after things until you get back.”

I waved, then boarded. Fall was ready and we taxied, then lifted off into the blue sky.