• Published 22nd Nov 2016
  • 3,361 Views, 69 Comments

When The Bass Drops - BlakeCorman



Amelia has led a mostly ordinary life. Now she is thrust into a new world she has never seen and in a body that is not her own. She has no idea how this came to be, but she knows what she must do. It's time to drop the Bass.

  • ...
7
 69
 3,361

Chapter 6- My Sacrifice

Chapter 6-

My Sacrifice

“What in the depths of Tartarus is that!?” Luna yelled as the monstrosity crawled itself out of the swirling portal. The top half was humanoid, the elongated head having three spikes on each side, yellow eyes and a red crystal in its forehead. The arms connected to the body via cylindrical cones with large yellow gems ending them in the front. Twin spikes jutted from the green shoulders, short red arms ending in humongous green hands with wicked faded yellow claws and even more yellow crystals on the knuckles. The body connected to a red base at the waist, a laser lens gleaming on the front. Six green legs sprouted from the base, the same faded yellow lining and claws ending each appendage.

The giant machine finally stepped clear of the portal, the vortex swirling closed behind it. The monster raised its eyes until it stopped on the ponies and the NetNavi on the balcony. It let loose an earthshaking roar before it began to stomp closer. “It’s the Life Virus,” Amelia breathed, taking a step back, hands shaking.

“What do we do?” Amber questioned, taking a few steps back too as her ears flattened.

Amelia’s eyes watched the virus stomp towards them before it stopped and lifted a hand towards the sky. The Navi’s eyes widened and she gasped, drawing the eyes of every pony to her.

“What is it, Amel-” Celestia was cut off as the woman suddenly spun, her hand shooting out to take the cloak from around Amber Leaf’s shoulders before she once again faced the railing and launched herself into the sky, purple aura flashing around her… as a flaming sphere of stone shot through the air towards them. Amelia’s eyes flashed red as she sped through the air, putting the cloak in front of her as she slammed into the meteor. The attack broke apart and the sound of glass shattering ripped through the air before the Navi was thrown back towards the four ponies.

The ponies were just fast enough to step out of the way of Amelia’s falling body, the young woman flying past them to slam into the ground of the throne room. Amber twinged and gasped in pain as the Navi cratered the floor, feeling plenty of bruises and scrapes forming on her back and shoulders before running forward to the girl’s side. The cloak lay over her before it shifted and Amelia threw the covering aside, showing off how some of her body seemed to be flaking off in squares as she gave a moan of pain.

“Amelia…?” The mare questioned, putting a hoof on the girl’s shoulder.

“I’m okay, Amber,” the NetNavi said as she sat up and got into a kneeling position. “Right now we have bigger fish to fry.” Amelia began to straighten up as the stomps of the Life Virus outside began once more. Amelia stepped back towards the balcony with Amber Leaf leaning against her for support. The Navi stared out over the city towards the approaching behemoth, her mind immediately racing to every detail of the situation. “...Sombra,” she said suddenly, shocking the monarch into staring at her. “Where are the citizens of the Crystal Empire?”

The unicorn stared at her for several moments, mouth gaping before he shook his head. “They’ve been locked away in the basements of their homes,” he answered. “He wanted to make sure they couldn’t get away….” He trailed off before looking towards the virus. “No matter what they would be getting away from….”

Amelia frowned at that, mind still racing. “...How powerful is Amore?” She asked, not taking her eyes off the beast as a building crumpled with its next step.

“She was impossibly powerful,” Celestia spoke up. “As powerful as a unicorn can get without ascending from the shear strength of magic alone.” The Navi glanced at her for a moment before looking back.

Slowly, she nodded. “I know what to do,” she said, suddenly turning and walking back inside, the ponies turning to stare at her with surprised looks.

“What art thee thinking, Miss Amelia?” Luna questioned, following her inside along with the others as the NetNavi turned to face them.

“I’m thinking we need to save everyone we can,” the woman answered, taking her cloak from the floor and sweeping it up onto her shoulders. “Sombra, what do you need to free Amore?”

“I’d need the Crystal Heart,” the king answered, bringing a hoof to his chin. “But it’s at the top of the palace, surrounded by all kinds of traps.”

“Then we need to get it,” Amelia said before looking at all of them. “Here’s the plan. I’m going out there to distract that thing. Celestia, I need you to go door to door and get the crystal ponies to safety. Luna, Sombra, Amber, you guys get the Crystal Heart and free Amore. When everyone is done, meet here and shoot a flare into the sky.”

“You plan to take that thing on by yourself?” Amber questioned incredulously. “There’s no way we could survive that.”

“You’re right, we couldn’t,” the young woman agreed, looking to her partner. “But I can. That’s why we’re going to unsync before I go out there.”

The mare blanched. “But you won’t be able to-”

“See behind me or react fast enough?” Amelia interrupted with a small smile. “I know. But luckily there’s only one of those things out there and I’m more than fast enough to dodge its attacks. Besides, the only good our sync would be while we’re apart would be to get you hurt, so it’s for the best that we separate while we finish our tasks.”

The crystal mare was quiet for a long moment before she nodded and let her features harden. “Alright,” she said before stomping a hoof forward. “But you had better come back to me in one piece, understand?”

Amelia stared at the mare for a moment before giving a grin and nodding. “Of course,” she answered before looking to the others. “You guys ready?” Each of them nodded before the girl nodded again and let her grin widen. “Then let’s get started.” Amber closed her eyes and the sync text in the bottom of the Navi’s vision dropped to zero percent just as the entire building shook. Amelia’s eyes shot to the balcony and narrowed before a magenta road with blue arrows racing away from her appeared in her path. The young woman ran forward, the GoingRoad battlechip launching her forward before she somersaulted over the Life Virus as it reared its arm back for another strike.

The NetNavi’s arm shot out of her cloak, her gauntlet and hand folding up and out to form the red base and gold barrels of the SuperVulcan before Amelia pulled the trigger and the barrels spun to life. The minigun roared to life as the shots raced out of the barrels and towards the Life Virus only to be stopped by a barrier that flashed with each impact. The beast stopped its assault and turned its head to watch the Navi fall onto a roof behind it and skid to a halt, the woman staring up at the evil yellow eyes. “Come and get me, big guy,” the Navi taunted before quickly jumping back and away from a slash of purple energy that slammed into the shingles she’d been standing on before. Amelia flipped back and landed on another rooftop only to have to leap into the air again as a beam of purple energy lanced out at her.

“Damn,” the girl muttered. “How fast is this-OOF!!!” The Navi was stopped as an enormous green hand suddenly appeared in front of her and backhanded her across the city to slam into the courtyard that the Life Virus had first appeared from. Amelia felt her body bounce across the ground multiple times before she rolled to a stop, her body aching as the yellow bar in her vision began to lower down ever more. The woman grit her teeth and groaned as she pushed herself back to her feet, lifting her eyes just in time for them to widen as the Life Virus blocked out the sun. The NetNavi quickly leapt back as the the virus came crashing down into the crystal bricks, cracking the gem road.

Amelia grit her teeth as she slid back, bits of road bouncing past her. “Okay, definitely not like the games,” she muttered as she used another Recover300, her health bar shooting back up as she felt the pain and fatigue drain away. “But then again, neither am I!” She threw her arms out and activated LongBlade on her right and MegaCannon, the red and gold accents of each weapon glinting alongside the burning in her eyes. The NetNavi let out a savage war cry as she rushed the Life Virus, the giant monster rearing its fist back to meet her.


Celestia blinked as the Navi sped past in a black and tan blur before her head jerked to the balcony, she and the others running to look over the edge in time to watch Amelia fire a volley of purple bullets that slammed into some sort of barrier surrounding the beast. The “Life Virus”, as both Amelia and Sombra called it, turned its eyes upon the one that dared attack it, the solar diarch and her companions wincing and jumping back from the balcony as it slashed the air with a claw, sending out a wave of dangerous energy.

The alicorn’s breath caught in her throat as she went over what she had just witnessed. Already, her body shook with the very inclination of such monsters. Her eyes stared at the balcony railing as the purple glow faded, her breathing coming back in panicked, uneven heaves. The mare actually winced as she felt a hoof touch down on her shoulder, her frightened eyes shooting to look at her sister as the lunar princess gave her a worried look.

“We must has't faith in young Amelia, sister,” Luna said gently, flashing a smile that she only ever allowed her sister to see. The alabaster diarch looked at her little sister for a moment before she gave a small smile.

“And so we shall,” the solar diarch answered, looking back out over the city as the Life Virus leaped further away from them towards the center of the city. Celestia turned her eyes back to the others, a fierce fire once more shining in them. “We must hurry if we are going to help Amelia. Sombra, how long will it take you to find the Crystal Heart?”

“It should take no time at all if everything goes smoothly,” he answered, stepping forward and straightening up a bit. “The traps are of my own design after all.”

“And how many... ‘safe houses’ are in the city?” The princess asked, letting the phrase “safe house” drip with venom.

“Thirty-seven,” the unicorn answered immediately. Celestia balked at this to which Sombra gave a sad chuckle. “We are called the Crystal Empire for a reason, princess. Our population could easily rival any of the other kingdoms, including your own.” The mare stared at him for several moments before she shook her head and strengthened her resolve once more.

“No matter,” she said, stepping to the edge of the balcony once and letting her wings unfurl. “It’s no small thing, but it can be done. Remember what Amelia said and be back here as quickly as possible.” With that, the solar alicorn leaped into the air and flew straight up, the party’s eyes following her.

“...There’s no possible way she can find and extract all of those ponies,” Amber breathed, jerking a bit as Luna gave an amused chuckle beside her.

“Lief Amber,” the dark blue mare started, staring up at the position where Celestia’s form had disappeared in the sky. “Thee wouldst be surprised. Whither we art stronger than our sister, she…” Luna trailed off just in time for the sky to explode in a ring of orange, pink, and purple like that of a sunrise before a trail of the same colors raced from the sky, a cone of gold magic leading it into the city below. “Is the faster.”

Amber and Sombra stared in awe at the spectacle, Luna giving another chuckle before turning around and trotting back into the castle with a wave of her wing. “Come, we has’t our own office to complete.” The two watched her go before looking at one another. A sudden flash of emotion came over Amber’s eyes, the mare dropping her gaze before following the alicorn inside.

“Amber-”

“Just!” The mare interrupted, rounding on the unicorn king with rage in her eyes. Sombra took a step back and raised his hoof to his chest defensively as he winced. The mare’s chest heaved for several moments before she let out another breath and dropped her gaze. “Just don’t, Sombra….”

The dark unicorn watched her as she turned and started to follow after the lunar diarch before he gave his own sad sigh and started to follow after her. “Whither art we going, Sombra?” Luna’s sudden question jerked the stallion’s attention back to reality. He looked up to see the alicorn staring at him, wings splayed out.

The unicorn shook his head again and put a hoof to the base of his horn before looking back up. “Apologies,” he muttered before stepping forward. “The path to the Heart begins right here.” The unicorn turned to face the statue of Amore, his horn sparking with toxic green and purple magic, a beam of the dark power shooting out to impact into an invisible object that fidgetted back into being, the throne and crystal atop it reappearing. Slowly, the gems turned black and shadows cast themselves over the room, Luna and Amber stepping back until they stood just behind the unicorn king, a hole opening up in the floor to reveal a staircase that spiraled down into darkness. Sombra finally let the magic fade from his horn, his head bowing as his breath heaved in his chest and sweat dripped down the side of his face.

“At the bottom is a door,” he gasped through heavy breaths. “You must strike the crystal above it with most positive magic you can produce, unlike these first two. If you use dark magic on the door, it will only show you what you fear most. Once inside you’ll find an endless staircase up. You’ll have to use a gravity inversion spell to slide to where the Crystal Heart is being held.”

“Why are you telling us all of this?” Amber asked, cutting him off as she stepped closer to him with a stern look.

“Because he thinks he can stall me long enough for the both of you to get the Heart.” Sombra’s eyes went wide and his body stiffened as Amber froze as well, she and Luna looking up to see a figure walking towards them as a portal closed behind him. It was humanoid like Amelia, but the similarities ended there. This being looked to be made completely of ice crystals, its body taking on a very rigid structure as crystals jutted from its shoulders, hands, lower legs and either side of its head. The only distinguishing markings on its body were on its head where two dark blue stripes ran back from just over its piercing blue gaze while a third rectangle rested on the center of its forehead. It wore black clothing lined in yellow-green on its upper torso, arms and lower legs, a symbol of a hollow white hexagon sitting on his chest on a raised badge much like Amelia’s own.

Amber took a step back as Luna drew out her twin blades once more. “Who-”

“Freezeman.” Sombra’s sudden growl made the mare jump a bit as the stallion turned around to face the approaching figure, purple vapor once more starting to filter from his eyes.

“Sombra,” the icy figure answered evenly as he came to a stop. “Master is quite disappointed in you.”

“Buck your master,” Sombra spat. “You put my people in danger and enslaved them. You brought war to our nation. All that said, I hope your master chokes on his disappointment.”

The NetNavi let the frown on his face grow for a moment before he cleared his throat. “Be that as it may,” he answered quietly. “You have outlasted your usefulness… and we cannot allow you to get in the way of our plans….” The temperature of the room began to drop as ice began to form on the ground, starting from Freezeman’s feet and crawling towards them.

Sombra lit his horn and started to rush forward only to be pushed aside as Luna galloped past him, her twin sabers levitating in her magic. “Thee go ahead,” the mare said, brandishing her weapons as silver wing blades flashed onto the leading edges of her feathered appendages. “We shalt hold him off.”

“But princess- EEP!” Amber Leaf yelped as she was suddenly yanked backward as a large icicle fell from seemingly nowhere to skewer the ground she’d been standing on moments before.

“Listen to her,” Sombra said, his horn glowing amber as he pulled the mare back. “Princess Luna can take care of this better than we can. We’ll just be in the way.” the crystal mare looked between the unicorn and the alicorn for several moments before she turned to the monarch and nodded.

“Let’s go,” she said, hurrying past him towards the stairs. “And we must hurry.” Sombra turned to run after her, glancing over his shoulder just in time to catch Luna’s own gaze before she looked back to her opponent and Sombra turned back to follow Amber Leaf.

Luna stayed where she was with her stance spread wide in defiance even as ice covered the floor under her hooves and the door leading the stairs sealed itself shut. “Now…” the mare growled, bringing her eyes up to stare at the ice Navi. “Have at thee, knave!” With that, the lunar diarch rushed Freezeman.


Celestia bashed through yet another door, skidding to a halt as she landed in the main room and unleashed another revealing spell. The golden aura spread out over the home until a flash of gold drew the mare’s eyes to an outline on the wall across from her. The alicorn stepped until she faced the hidden doorway, eyes glaring at the obstacle before her as her horn lit up in her golden aura. With a sharp yank, the door was ripped from its hinges and lock before Celestia threw it to the side with a flick of her head.

The princess strode forward cautiously, ducking her head as she came to the doorway and a set of stairs, her horn lit up in advance. This was the forty-second home she’d been in and only the eighteenth that had had a door like this, the mare not looking the worse for it even as she stepped further down into the darkness of the home's basement. The light of her horn shown into the blackness, illuminating the bottom of the steps as she approached them and stepped off onto the hard crystal floor. She flicked her head deeper into the dark, the cone of light revealing a group of ten or more ponies huddled against the back wall.

Each wore the unmistakable look of fear and panic as the sounds of conflict roared on dully above them, the work of Amelia and the Life Virus’ fight. Seeing their panic, Celestia cast another spell, two orbs of light appearing to either side of her as her own horn stopped shining. “All is well,” she spoke softly, stepping forward so she could be seen clearly, a gentle, motherly smile on her face. “I am not here to harm you.”

Some of the ponies gawked in surprise while a few others still flinched back. All except one older stallion who took a step forward with awe in his eyes. “Princess… Celestia?” The elder questioned, receiving a nod in return.

“That is I,” she said warmly, taking a few steps forward. “Come, there is not much time to get you to safety.”

“Safety?” One of the younger ponies spoke up, a mare with a mint green body. “What is safer than this?”

“These,” the alicorn began to reply, turning back to the steps. “Are nothing more than death traps designed by the true monster behind your suffering.” Another rumble shook the building and loosened dust from the ceiling to pour down on them. “Come, we don’t have much time.” No more arguments were made at this, the denizens of the Crystal Empire quickly following after the solar diarch of Equestria. Celestia came out of the stairwell first, quickly crossing the small room to look out the front door she had busted down. Outside, the Life Virus still stood, fighting against a purple blur that dashed to and fro in front of it avoiding all attempts of the behemoth to land a hit. Even with the titan so far away, it still made the princess uneasy as she stepped out onto the street, the crystal ponies following behind her.

“Quickly,” Celestia said urgently, waving the group along gently. “Make your way to the palace, it is safest ther-” The mare cut off and spun quickly, horn flaring once more as a golden barrier flashed in front of her, three balls of flame slamming into the magic shield. The alicorn’s eyes narrowed as she looked down the street to find bug-like creatures scuttling towards them. The beasts had bodies that seemed to be simplified versions of the Life Virus’ head, six short, insectoid legs jutting out from under them. The crowd of mechanical monsters continued to surge forward, showing off four different colors amongst their ranks; red, blue, yellow, and green.

“Oh, great Faust, what now?” The mare hissed as she straightened up to face the oncoming force. “Go,” she said sharply, glancing over her shoulder towards the group that stood frozen behind her as they jumped in surprise. “I shall hold them here.”

“But Princess-”

“No buts,” Celestia interrupted, turning to look back to the elder from before and flashing a confident smile. “This is no problem for me. Just get to safety while you can.” The stallion stood for a moment longer before nodding his head and turning to the others.

“You all heard the mare,” he said strongly, stomping his hoof for emphasis. “Get to the palace!” The old stallion’s words echoed to his fellow ponies, some of them giving nods before they turned and began running as quickly as they could towards the grand towers in the distance.

The princess gave a little sigh before looking towards her oncoming opponents. “Alright then,” she said, dropping the barrier and summoning her battleax and her own wing blades. “Let’s get started then!” The alabaster mare charged forward in a streak of white, pink, and gold, her ax held back and ready as her wings spread wide.

The mechanical insects stopped their advance and set their singular attention her, the ones in front rearing up and slamming their front legs into the ground, towers made up of fire, water, and wood shooting out of the ground and rushing towards her as the air crackled with electricity. Celestia’s eyes widened before she scowled, lowering her head as she started to twist around the hazardous pillars, stopping short as an enormous bolt of lightning slammed into the ground in front of her. The princess’ eyes widened in surprise as her horn flared, her form flashing out of sight before a second flash found her on the other side of the electrical hazard. The alicorn’s eyes hardened and she grit her teeth as she doubled her efforts to dodge the obstacles thrown at her, closing the distance between herself and the small mechanical insects as magic built up over her horn.

The machines on the front line lowered themselves to the ground as a line of the yellow monsters stepped forward, electrical sparks shooting from them before a volley of thunder balls shot towards the pink-maned alicorn. Celestia’s eyes narrowed once more and she angled herself upwards, soaring straight up into the air. A small smirk split her face as the charged attacks sailed past under her. The mare looked back with a confident gleam in her eye before the pride vanished from her features. The princess swerved hastily to the side, barely avoid one of the electrical attacks as the others followed not far behind it. Celestia let her eyes widen in surprise before a growing glow drew them back to the sky above where the missile that had passed her was once more barrelling towards her. Thinking quickly, the alicorn threw her head forward, a beam of magic shooting out to collide with the massive bullet, an explosion rocking the sky as the mare flew straight into the thrown up cloud of dust.

The solar diarch shot from the cloud, taking a moment to look behind her to confirm that the balls of lightning were still on her. She grit her teeth as the missiles blew apart the cloud and raced towards her. Celestia put her head back to the front and lowered it, horn piercing the sky as a golden cone spread over her, growing larger with her ascent. As the alicorn reached her apex, she closed her eyes and listened to the buzz of the electrical volleys… and stopped. The mare let out a soft breath as she felt her wings catch the wind from the wrong side, wrapping the appendages around her as gravity began to pull her down. Her ears flicked as the crackling of lightning grew closer and, with expert precision, weaved around the electric bullets. She felt the fur of her body stand on end as the bolts sailed passed her, tilting her head out of the way as the tingle of static tickled her neck and cheek.

The buzzing whizzed by and Celestia’s eyes flew open as she twisted in midair air, maneuvering until she was in a full dive. With a wave of her wings, she rocketed her way down towards her enemies, eyes glaring as a familiar mach cone formed, exploding and once again unleashing an explosion of color. The solar diarch raced towards the ground in a blur of motion, swerving as pillars of wood, water, and fire lanced up to meet her. The mare’s eyes narrowed as she reached the point of no return in her dive, watching as the red machines charged up fireballs... before she disappeared in a flash.The alabaster princess reappeared far above the force, watching as the thunder balls slammed into the mechanical army, explosions lighting up and destroying most of them.

With a cry of anger, the mare flapped her wings and halted her momentum, throwing her head down and unleashing all of the magic energy she’d been building. A huge beam of golden energy sailed down, splitting and branching off to slam into the groups of insectoids the thunder balls had failed to kill. Celestia flapped her wings to stay aloft, heavy breaths rattling her chest as she gasped for breath before a loud boom drew her eyes to the center of the city. The Life Virus let out another blast, a purple blur dodging out of the way just in time before returning fire, the small pellets of energy bouncing off the monster’s shield. The alicorn stared at the display for several moments before she took a deep breath, a single thought going through her head. “No small thing…” she muttered before rushing away in search of the next safe house as the battle raged on in the background.


“RAAAA!!!” Amelia roared as she dived out of the air, the hooked, purple energy sword emitting from the golden generator on her arm lashing out to clash against the invisible wall between herself and her adversary. The Life Virus looked back at the snarling NetNavi from the other side of its LifeAura. Sparks flew from the contact point before the blade was flung back, throwing the young woman’s arms wide as the aura faded out. Amelia’s eyes widened and she quickly twisted in the air as a much more sinister purple blade formed from the palm of the virus’ hand. The monster swept the LifeSword through the air towards the Navi, barely sweeping under her as she twisted.

Thinking quickly, Amelia’s buster formed out of her left arm, aiming it towards her opponent’s head before firing. The blast slammed into the newly reformed shield with no success as the recoil of the weapon launched the girl through the air, spinning and flipping until her boots hit the crystal road, sliding back from the force of her landing. The woman raised her eyes and grit her teeth as the red color faded back to green. “Damn it!” She growled as she dashed to the side, a ray of burning purple energy following just behind her for several seconds. The beast turned to follow her with its eyes before lunging forward, claw reared back. Amelia jumped into the air, the vicious hand slamming into the ground under her as she lifted her buster towards the red gem before unleashing her fury. The bullets once more hit the shield, bursting uselessly as the NetNavi landed on the roof of a building, quickly pushing off to sail over the head of the Life Virus. “Eat shit!” The Navi yelled, throwing her right arm back as the NeoVaribleSword collapsed back into her hand as a red sphere with an orange stripe around it formed in her grasp. With a cry of anger, she threw the ball towards the monster, a huge explosion rocking the air and ground as a fireball engulfed the beast.

The shockwave rocketed the woman over the courtyard until her feet slammed into another roof, the NetNavi leaning down to drive her fingers into the hard surface to slow her down. Amelia huffed for breath as she slowed to a stop, green eyes analyzing the smoke cloud the Life Virus had disappeared within. “...Oh, goddamnit,” the girl said, starting to straighten up as the dust blew away, revealing the Life Virus unscathed and unharmed. The Navi narrowed her eyes as she drew in breath, analyzing her opponent. “...So that’s how it’s going to be…” Amelia said lowly as she raised her fists once more and steeled her features. She closed her eyes again, taking a last breath before flaring them open once more, red light outshining her normally green irises.

Flames erupted over the young woman’s body as ports opened under her boots, launching her to the side as another LifeSword cut through the air where she’d been standing just a split second before. Amelia became little more than a fiery blur as her right arm once more formed the golden emitter from which a new NeoVariableSword shot out, racing over the top of the buildings as she circled her foe, the much larger virus struggling to follow her movements. The Navi closed the distance in no time, leaping from the roof towards the Life Virus with her sword reared back for the strike. She swung her blade with a dangerous battlecry, the blade sparking against the LifeAura as she trailed diagonally across the shield. She hit the ground just as red light began to flood the area, sweeping her sword off the shield… and spinning with the motion. With a roar, she threw herself back at the enormous machine, the blade dispersing and a new weapon unfolding in the form of a large yellow gauntlet and matching gray knuckles.

“GRRAAAA!!!” The NetNavi roared out as she slammed the BusterPunch into the LifeAura at a downward angle time and again, driving herself up and over the shield until she drove one last punch into the apex of the dome. The impact sent her sky high, the large fist coming back as it folded back into her gauntlet before a new weapon began to take form. First, the generator of her buster formed the center before five gun stocks formed on the sides in a star pattern, quickly filling with the ported barrels of the guns.

“Try this one on for size!” Amelia yelled angrily before the sound of five high-powered shotguns ripped through the air, the HyperBurst’s five rounds slamming into the shield simultaneously as the recoil sent the NetNavi flying back. The woman flipped through the air, her gleaming red eyes focused on the huge machine before her as it seemed to stumble slightly, even with the LifeAura still active. The Navi’s eyes narrowed as she completed her flip, putting her feet under her as she touched down on the ground. “So, I can get through to you…” she murmured as the Life Virus got its legs back under it, the red lens on the lower part of its body still glowing more and more as seconds went by.

The woman smirked. “So, the good old go-to strat,” she said, starting to raise her arms. “Hit it ‘til it die-” Amelia stopped as she realized the HyperBurst was still on her arm, weighing her limb down with its dead weight. As she stared, she noticed for the first time red text flashing over the corner of her vision reading, “ERR: Spreadr Overuse.” “...Ah, shit,” the woman said before red light shone on her face. Her eyes grew wide, the red draining away as she looked towards the Life Virus… and noticed something. It wasn’t looking at her. The NetNavi threw her eyes up to the virus’ face, locking on its eyes before following its gaze across the courtyard.

Amelia gasped as she saw a group of crystal ponies rushing from a home, some frozen in fear amongst the red light, Celestia planted in front of them as if to protect them from the sinister glow. The mare looked worse for wear, put the determined looked in her eyes as she called out unintelligibly to the ponies behind her told the woman that she wouldn’t move from her position, especially if fired upon. Amelia’s eyes widened even further as she realized this. “Celestia, run!” She yelled across the road, the princess glancing at her as the Navi began to run, her useless arm hanging to her side. The diarch’s eyes widened and her lips parted slightly as if to reply before a BOOM shot both their attention back to the monster they faced… and the red laser racing towards the alicorn and the citizens she was trying to protect. Time seemed to slow down to Amelia, only Celestia and the LifeCannon in her focus. In the fraction of a blink, the NetNavi sent out an emergency signal that was answered almost immediately. The SYNC meter in the corner of her vision skyrocketed as ports opened on the bottom of her boots once more, launching her across the courtyard.

Amelia appeared in a flash in front of Celestia, throwing her arms wide as her body seemed to turn into a gleaming metal. The red beam slammed into the frozen NetNavi, dispersing around her to slam harmlessly into walls, the road, and into the sky above. The blast last only a few more seconds before the red light began to filter out of the air, the sun princess lowering her leg from her eyes. The mare looked up at the NetNavi’s metallic form just as the gleaming layer started to retract back towards the center of her body. When the last of the metal ebbed away, the woman turned to look over her shoulder… and throw the alicorn a tired smile. “Everyone okay back there?” She questioned with a light air to her voice.

The alabaster pony stared up at the Navi before she gave a huff of nervous laughter, looking down and closing her eyes as a small smile of relief spread over her face. “Yes,” Celestia answered, looking back up. “Thank you, Amelia.”

“Don’t thank me yet, princess,” the young woman answered, looking forward once more, bringing her arms up to cross them. “That thing’s still not dead.”

The diarch frowned and looked past her protector towards the monstrosity before them. “No,” Celestia murmured, bringing her head back to look towards the NetNavi. “No it is not. ...What do you plan to do?”

Amelia was quiet for a long moment before she surprised the princess with a quiet chuckle. “What do I plan to do?” She parroted, glancing over her shoulder before looking back at her target. “I’m going to kill that big ugly bastard… and then we’re all going to leave this icy wasteland and never come back.”

Celestia stared up at the young warrior before she let a small smile crack her features. “That we will, Miss Amelia,” she replied, starting to turn to guide the crystal ponies to safety. “Just make sure you come home in one piece.’

“Of course,” the Navi answered, taking a step forward and letting her left arm fall to her side. “No way am I going to miss the afterparty.”

The alicorn gave one last chuckle at the woman’s small quip. “Stay safe, Amelia,” she said before she started to trot after her wards. Amelia stayed where she was, waiting until the mare’s hoofsteps were out of hearing range before she gave a small sigh and lifted up her right arm, wincing at how the surface of her forearm had been peeled away by the blast. The exposed squares of purple, pink, and white flashed and blinked in no particular pattern, the ring separating the rest of her arm from the wound allowing squares of black and purple that came from her own body to drift off into the air and disappear. The young woman grimaced and grit her teeth against the pain as she summoned the willpower to activate her last Recover300. She opened her eyes as the pain subsided, her health bar filling once more in her vision as her eyes fell on the newly reformed HyperBurst.

The girl closed her eyes and took a slow, deliberate breath. “You’re going to pay for that one,” she said quietly, looking up at the dangerous machine with red eyes. The Life Virus stared back at her, its arm held out to the side as purple energy began to build up in its palm once more. Amelia tsk’d, ducking down and sprinting forward as the LifeSword swung over her head, the NetNavi racing towards her foe.


Sombra and Amber strode down the seemingly endless staircase, the silence deafening as the dark unicorn’s amber magic lit the way. Amber followed behind him, eyes on the steps in front of her, not making a sound until a sudden gasp ripped itself out of her. Her hoof shot out even as the stallion turned towards her with a worried look, using his back to keep her upright as her pupils turned to pinpricks, breath hitching in her throat as sweat suddenly beaded up on her brow. A second later the hitched breathing turned to a sharp hiss of pain, the mare wincing as her leg tightened around Sombra.

“Amber…,” the monarch whispered quietly before turned, worry etched into his eyes. “Amber, what’s wrong?”

The pale blue mare squeezed her eyes shut, gritting her teeth for several moments before she took a few steadying breaths. “...We need to hurry,” was the only thing she muttered as she removed her hoof from his back and continued down the dark stairwell. Sombra’s eyes followed after the mare for, his lips drawing into a thin line as he followed her in silence. And yet his concerned gaze still followed the mare in silence until he took notice of her new limp.

“Amber, stop,” Sombra barked, the accidentally sharp words making the smaller pony flinch unconsciously. Amber stayed completely still as the stallion marched around her and stopped in front of her. His hoof gently reached out to take up the mare’s right in his own and bring it up to upturn it. Amber looked away as the small burn that had appeared on the underside of her hoof, not wanting to see the unicorn’s face as his eyes widened. “Amber…,” he breathed quietly, looking up to the crystal pony’s face. “What happened?”

Amber squirmed a bit, taking her hoof back from him as she started to set it back down tenderly. “It’s… it’s from a sync with Amalia…,” she said quietly. “She needed a speed boost and she’s running out of battle chips….”

“So you fused consciousnesses with a beast of battle for a few extra seconds?” Sombra questioned, a frown forming on his face. “Do you realize how reckless that was?”

An angry look flashed over the violet-maned mare before she retorted with a short snarl. “As reckless as falling in love with you?” Amber’s jaws clamped shut the moment the words left her mouth, eyes widening as the stallion winced in pain and diverted his eyes in shame, lids closing without a single utterance from him. The crystal pony stared at Sombra for several moments before a stern look returned to her face. “Come on…” she said in a small voice. “We’re running out of time….”

She didn’t see the unicorn open his pain-filled eyes and wasn’t even sure if he had followed her until the amber light of his magic illuminated the way before her. They continued in silence from there on, only the clip-clop of their hooves echoing around the walls of the staircase. The seconds ticked by like hours until it seemed like an eternity had passed before they took the final step and stood before a large door with a large gemstone sitting at the top of the frame, the jewel looking much the same as the one that was embedded in the throne in the room above. “So…” the mare said softly, finally shattering the silence. “How do we open this one?”

She turned her gaze to the side as Sombra came to a stop next to her, the mare quickly glancing back to the gem at the sight of the unicorn’s bloodshot eyes. “The gem needs to be charged with positive magic…” the stallion answered quietly before lowering his gaze and closing his eyelids, a humorless huff of laughter escaping his lips. “I figured it would be best to make a lock whose key was something others would never think I have….”

Amber Leaf looked back to the tired-sounding unicorn, a sad frown forming on her face as she saw for a mere moment the tear that spilled from the stallion’s closed eye before he quickly wiped it away. He stomped his hoof back to the ground and opened his eyes with his gaze going back to the crystal at the top of the door. “None of that matters now, though,” he said quietly, the magic around his horn brightening before a beam shot from it and struck its target. The gem lit up in bright light, the door sliding open in response to reveal a winding staircase leading upwards. Sombra let the glow of his horn die before he started forward into the bright stairway, Amber following behind him silently.

The pair looked up the grand spiral, Amber’s ears falling back at the daunting obstacle. Her gaze quickly fell back down, though, as Sombra started to walk forward towards the steps. The mare let her head droop a bit at the usually stoic stallion’s bowed head before she started to follow behind him. The unicorn’s ear twitched as she fell into step behind, his head and eyes raising slightly. The crystal pony winced a little at the motion, but the apprehension soon faded as she noticed that his gaze wasn’t on her. “Sombra, I-”

“MOVE!” The mare froze up completely as the unicorn king suddenly rounded on her, mist once again pouring from his eyes as he tackled her against the wall. An explosion rocked the steps beneath them as a buzz filled the air alongside the shockwave, a cloud of dust throwing itself into the air as debris fell to the ground or tinked off the monarch’s armor. Sombra took a few breaths before he straightened his forelegs, pushing him off the wall and Amber Leaf, groaning slightly as he did. “How are alright?” He questioned breathlessly, worried eyes searching her for injuries.

The crystal mare stared at him with wide, scared eyes, quick breaths racking her body before she shook her head. “I’m okay,” she assured, getting her breathing back under control as Sombra nodded and backed away from her. Her eyes went behind the stallion as he drew his scythe once more, a large crater left behind in the stairs. “What is-”

“Amber, run!” Sombra interrupted again, pushing her up the stairs as his magic turned from amber to red. Amber laid her ears flat to her skull as she began to run up the stairs, eyes shifting up to follow the dark king’s gaze. She immediately regretted her decision as her pupils shrank to pinpricks, watching the swarm of mechanical monsters crawl down the walls. Insects, suits of armor with flaming swords, yellow shells with feet and pickaxes, all these and more descended the walls and stairs of the tower, each one locked on them. She froze in her next step as fear gripped her only for it to be shoved aside much like the push that prompted her forward. “Amber, MOVE!”

The mare ran up the stairs, only slowing down as two of the machines landed in front of her only to be blasted away by red beams of magic. Amber Leaf kept running, not looking back as the sounds of flying projectiles met her ears, wincing as those same missiles slammed into magical shields that were hastily thrown in front of her by Sombra. She yelped as the dark stallion suddenly surged up next to her, crystal scythe spinning through the air to clash with the stinger-like arm of one of the monsters, electrical sparks shooting off from the point of impact. “Keep going, Amber!” Sombra shouted, shoving the creatures arm back before dispatching it with a clean flick of his weapon. The mare rushed up the stairs at the cry, the king following quickly behind her as the chase continued on. They ran until they reached a pause in the infinite steps, a flat plane on which a spell circle had been inscribed. “Stop here,” Sombra gasped, racing in front of her in just enough time to keep her from running up the next flight of stairs.

Amber finally allowed herself a few moments to think, shaking her head and taking in her surroundings before her eyes narrowed on Sombra’s form. “We’re sitting ducks here,” she argued before she took notice of the unicorn’s heaving shoulders, the slack in the magic holding his scythe, and the burn marks pocketing his armor and cape.

“Not for long…” the king answered, backing up and forcing her back towards the center of the circle. “Just… have to wait…”

Amber Leaf stared at him for several moments before she looked about them at the approaching monsters. “Wait for wh-” The crystal mare cut herself off as three of the beasts slammed down around them two of the “sparkers” and one of the “helmets”. Sombra lowered his stance and twirled his scythe in a ready position as Amber widened her forelegs.

The mare could almost hear the triumphant smirk in the unicorn’s voice as he muttered, “Wait for them to make their move.” The helmet lunged forward, raising its pickaxe only to be swatted away by Sombra’s scythe, the blade cleaving a line straight through it before it seemed to split into cubes and disintegrate. Amber felt the fur of her flank and tail start to raise, kickstarting her to push up with her rear limbs, coming to balance on her front hooves before she spun in place. Her rear legs kicked out, slamming into the faces of the sparkers and launching them back though not destroying them as Sombra’s scythe seemed to do. No sooner had the combatants downed their opponents than more of the machines come down to take their place, this time the “knights” joining the fray.

“They just keep coming,” Amber muttered under her breath, rearing up on her rear hooves to slam her front hooves down into one of the sparkers, denting its round body before it crumbled into cubes.

“Just hold on a little while longer,” Sombra answered, swinging his scythe out to destroy three more of the creatures before twisting the weapon back up and slamming it back down, using the wide, squared end of the blade like an executioner’s axe to split a knight in two as it tried to sneak up behind him. “Just a little longer….”

Amber huffed at the answer before quickly ducking under the swing of one the knights, feeling the blade scrape against the armor on her back to the screech of metal on metal. She grit her teeth as she swept her rear legs out to one side and pushing them around her front hooves, lifting her right off the floor. Her left hoof slid and spun with her momentum, twisting her body to lift her rear hooves to slam them into the offending creature, denting the metallic plate covering its chest and simultaneously forcing it to disintegrate. The crystal mare swept her legs back to the floor, her armored shoes shooting up sparks from the floor as she got back into her stance only to widen her eyes and jump back as a ball of lightning sailed past her to slam into the ground. The pony lurched her eyes towards where the shot had come from, once more dancing back as the sparker swung at her twice, stepping with each swing to force her back further.

A cry of rage interrupted the assault as Sombra cleaved the machine in two, sliding around to take its place, scattering its remains as he faced the creatures with mist flowing from his eyes and a snarl on his face. Amber’s eyes widened as wave after wave rushed them only to be milled down by Sombra’s defensive assault. The dark unicorn’s magic grew darker and darker as the mist coming from his eyes grew in mass. Amber backed away a few paces, fear growing in her as she saw the same monster that had taken her home and self-control from her. The mare stepped back until she met the wall her wide eyes staring at the sinister monarch in front of her, her surroundings draining away until all she could see was the tyrant, red eyes filled with toxic green, purple mist pouring out of them as his magic darkened to blood red, his black crystalline scythe slashing through the air or cleaving away chunks in the ground. The crystal pony froze up as the monster of her worst nightmare came to life, eyes widening as the pony -no, the beast- turned towards her, its pupils shrinking to pinpricks as it looked at her. She couldn’t move as it lunged towards her, bringing its weapon back to strike. Amber slammed her eyes shut, waiting for the end to come before a loud “clang” met her ears. Slowly, Amber Leaf opened her eyes, letting out a gasp as sparks flew from the clash of Sombra’s dark crystal scythe and the metallic blade of one of the knights that had tried to sneak up behind her from above.

Sombra grit his teeth against the force, eyes glancing towards the light blue mare cowering under his blade. “How you alright, Amber?” He grunted out, the worried question echoing in the mare’s ears. The crystal pony flinched for a moment before she looked back and started to open her mouth to answer before a gleam behind the dark unicorn caught her attention.

“Watch out!” the armored mare shouted, leaping forward. The swish of a blade met the air followed by the sounds of a blade cleaving through flesh and a pain-filled cry.


Luna skidded back across the crystalline floor of the throne room, throwing up sparks from her armored shoes as she threw her crossed blades to the side after her block. She raised her glare to stare across the room where Freezeman stood, lowering his arm after the shot of ice he had fired at her. “You ponies never give up, do you?” The NetNavi questioned in a dull tone, looking at her with a bored look as the mare’s anger flared.

“No,” the lunar sister snorted, bringing her blades up. “And we shan’t start now!” Luna let out an angry battlecry before she raced forward with her blades sliding back to strike at the frozen humanoid in front of her. Freezeman only responded by deepening his frown. He aimed his palm towards the floor in front of him before he unleashed a beam of ice that formed a wall of ice between himself and the charging alicorn. Luna let out yet another yell as she swiped her blades in a horizontal vice, ripping the icy shield in front of her in two only to find that her opponent had already disappeared.

“All you ponies are the same.” The needle-like voice pierced the younger diarch’s senses as the Navi’s cold breath forced the fur on the back of her neck stand on end. “Always to slow.” A flash of light lit up the room and Luna appeared on the other side of the room facing Freezeman, eyes narrowing at the long icicle that pierced the ground where she’d been standing a moment before.

“Thou art no different from other villains yourself,” the darker alicorn growled as her wings flared out to bring her wing blades into play. “At each moment so sure!” The mare lunged forward, forcing herself faster than before. Freezeman was slowed by his kneeling position as he got up to intercept the charging mare, forming a sword-like icicle in his hand as he did so. Luna’s pupils were pinpricks as she swung her first blade forward, clanging it against the icy blade before bringing her other saber into play, swinging it toward her opponent’s head. The ice Navi reacted quickly, a large clump of ice forming over the side of his head before the slim blade could collide with it, the sword ringing harmlessly off the Ice Shield. The humanoid drew back his unoccupied arm, frost and ice building up over his fist until sharp spikes protruded from his knuckles.

“So predictable,” the Navi muttered, swinging his armored fist towards the alicorn’s head. Luna’s only response was to bring her sword back from Freezeman’s head and slammed it into his blade alongside her other saber, knocking her adversary’s sword away as she stepped with her momentum and swinging her wing up as metal sheets fell from the of the wing blade. The icy knuckle duster slammed into the quickly assembled shield, forcing Luna to once again dig trenches into the ground with her sparking horseshoes.

The lunar diarch grit her teeth as she threw her wing to the side causing the metal sheets to slide back up into her wing blade. She raised her head, glaring at her opponent as he straightened up once more. “...Perhaps not,” Freezeman muttered, letting his sword and knuckles start to deteriorate and flake away. “You may prove to be a dangerous opponent yet.”

The diarch could only clench her teeth at that. “And thou has't proven to beest quite annoying,” Luna growled. “Now... husht and square!” The dark mare launched herself across the the room with a loud boom, eyes beginning to glow white. The ice Navi’s eyes widened at the sudden burst, jumping back while still allowing the toe of his boot scrape across the ground. Towers of ice formed where his boot touched, but the obstacles did little to deter the enraged princess as her blades, both sabers and wingblades, became a whirlwind of destruction that tore through the crystals like paper and forcing the NetNavi to continue his retreat. Eventually, Freezeman hit a wall, literally, forcing him to through his his legs up and over his head, planting his feet on the wall as he straightened to stand horizontally on the surface. He only barely had enough time to reform a pair of ice swords as Princess Luna met him, her quartet of weapons slamming into his twin blades, the clash forming a sort of twelve point star.

The alicorn grit teeth before she reared back one of her sabers and slashed forward again, the humanoid quickly moving one of his blades to intercept her attack. The mare slashed with one of her wingblades, Freezeman once more meeting the assault with his own blade. The mare took advantage of the opening, stepping forward and attacking with her remaining weapons only to be met by the same resistance as before as the NetNavi moved much more quickly to catch her attack. The light coming the younger sister’s eyes increased alongside her snarl as she took another step forward, pushing her onslaught as Freezeman was forced backward up the wall. The surface on which his boot touched down froze and held him, allowing him to continue backing up even as Luna pressed against his defense. A flash of magic mimicked the flash of the mare’s swords and activated the gravity spell that pulled her hooves to the wall, allowing the alicorn to follow her adversary as he tried to escape her relentless attack. The six weapons soon became little more than blurs as their users became whirlwinds that drove up the wall until the two met with a final crash, sending both of them sliding to opposite sides of the ceiling they had battled onto.

“Tch,” Freezeman growled as his blades shattered and he came to a stop. “Enough of this nonsense!” He threw his hand out, fingers splayed out. Luna’s eyes opened wide as she felt the foundation beneath begin to bulge. Too late she felt herself falling with the Icicle Fall as it plummeted to the floor below. The mare kicked back from the structure, canceling her spell to push herself away and flip to put her hooves back underneath her. She spread her wings to slow her descent only to feel all the air rush from her lungs as she shot into the wall behind her.

Luna slumped to the floor as the frozen NetNavi landed cleanly on his feet after delivering the devastating kick to her barrel. “Give in,” Freezeman ordered, putting one hand to his waist as the mare struggled to her hooves. “No mere pony can stand up to the power of a NetNavi. Even that fool, Sombra, could see that.”

The NetNavi stared down at his alicorn adversary, one eye widening a bit as if he had quirked an eyebrow as the pony straightened her legs and locked them into place. “I-if 't be true a pony cannot beat th-thee,” Luna answered in a trembling voice, her legs matching it until they suddenly stilled. “Then a mere pony a wilt not beest!” There was a flash of light and Freezeman found himself rocketed across the room as the alicorn bucked him in the back. The frozen program squeezed his eyes shut for a moment at the blow before they shot open. The Navi thrust his arm forward, an icy blast launching forth to form an ice pillar that he grabbed onto and started to spin around to bring himself back around to face the lunar princess… only to meet another hoof. The appendage slammed into his face and he felt himself shoot back once more except that this time the assault did not stop as another flash lit up the room, another kick bucking Freezeman up to the ceiling. A flash and Luna slammed him back to the ground before teleporting again and kicking him towards the far wall then kicked him into the floor with a last flash, catching him as his hardened body bounced back up from his impact and once more bucking with both her rear hooves. The NetNavi carved a path in the ground before slamming into the wall, leaving a large indentation with his body.

“Impressed yet?” Freezeman grit his teeth as he looked up towards the guardian of the moon, but stopped as he noticed a subtle change in her posture and speech patterns. She stood across from him, head held high as she looked down her nose at him, her rear hooves spread out dominantly while she had of front legs crossed one in front of the other.

“H-how…?” Was all the downed program could growl out as he put a hand to the wall behind him and started to get back to his feet, albeit shakily.

He was only further confused as the mare before him let loose a sinister laugh, the light flashing off what he thought was sharpened fangs as she threw her head back. “How!?” She scoffed, lowering her gaze back down to him. “With the only thing you understand….” The dark blue mare began to walk towards one of the many pillars of ice that littered the room. She looked towards the icy NetNavi before rearing back a hoof and slamming it into the protrusion, shattering most of it before seizing what remained in her magic and yanking it out. “Power!”

Freezeman’s eyes widened as the mare turned her gaze back to him, her dark blue eyes replaced by teal orbs that swam in an ocean of power, the slit pupil cutting into him. “Welcome!” The alicorn declared, the ice shard glowing with power in her magic before the glow faded to reveal a deadly looking scythe with a silver crescent blade. “To my nightmare!” The Navi only stared in horror as the creature before him lunged at him with its weapon drawn back.


At the top of the Crystal Palace, the Crystal Heart floated lazily in the air. Its soft glow filled the small space to give off a sort of warmth despite the screams, yells, and sounds of conflict that raged around it, particularly those coming from the opening that led to the staircase. Two shapes suddenly rushed from the entryway, the larger and darker of the two sliding to a stop quickly. “Stay back, Amber!” Sombra shouted, turning to face the stairs they’d escaped from as bolts of electricity, fire, and ice flew out of it. The unicorn king aimed his magic through blood choked eyes, his mangled horn sparking with the unstable magic that formed there. Clenching his eyes closed, the stallion shot forth a bolt of dark magic that slammed into the ground just in front of the steps. A group of black crystals exploded into life as the spell detonated violently, covering the entrance. The dark pony huffed and puffed with the effort before one of his front legs gave out, forcing him to sink to the ground with a hard thud.

“Sombra!” Amber cried, rushing to the unicorn’s side and helping him to stand once more as she checked on the bleeding stump that had once been his horn. “Are you okay?”

The dark monarch continued to breathe heavily as he looked up into her eyes with his head bowed. “I’ve… been better,” he muttered between breaths. “I’m more worried about you….”

The pale blue mare let out a small sigh and slightly readjusted so as to help hold the stallion’s bodyweight more efficiently. “I’m fine,” she answered quietly. “But we need to get you down from here.” A loud boom rocked their foundation, drawing their gazes to the sealed entrance.

“Well,” Sombra grunted as he started to stand up under his own power once more. “We can’t go back down that way. And besides, we still need the Heart.” With that he turned, Amber’s gaze following him before she gasped at the sight of the bright, heart-shaped crystal that floated at the center of the tower.

“It’s… it’s really here…” she murmured, starting to step towards the artifact. She started to lift her hoof once more before she felt a light weight touch down on her hindquarters.

“Wait a moment….” The mare turned her eyes back at the stallion’s soft words before he removed his hoof before stepping up next to her. “We can’t simply take the Crystal Heart.”

“And why not?” The mare scoffed, the stallion throwing a slightly amused look in her direction.

“When have I ever made anything ‘simple’, Leafie?” The king questioned before he gestured towards the light blue circle.

‘Leafie’ looked at the circle, taking note of the six-pointed star pattern etched into it before she gave a soft sigh. “So, what is it this time?” The crystal pony questioned heatedly. “Open to a pit of lava? Shackles that pin you to the floor? Oh! What about a spell that shoots us into the STRATOSPHERE!?”

“It wraps the trespassers in dark crystal, slowly crushing and suffocating them.” Amber stopped at the stallion’s somber tone. Looking back at him, the mare found his head bowed in shame. “...It was never supposed to be like this…. I didn’t want this. I was angry and I wanted to see change in our empire but… I didn’t want this….”

Amber stared at the deflated unicorn for a moment before she opened her mouth to speak only to be interrupted by an explosion that drew their attention to the city outside. Both ponies walked to the edge of the chamber, looking out over the buildings of the Crystal Empire. Outside, the Life Virus could be seen at the center of the city, firing off purple beam and cleaving the air with a blade of the same energy. A dark-colored blur could be seen dodging the attacks before weaving in close and forcing the barrier around the monstrosity to flash, darting away before the virus could strike back. As they watched, the Life Virus unleashed another blast of purple energy, the blur dancing to the side of the attack and traveling along its side. This time though, the abomination caught on and brought its arm over its body to swat its opponent away to crash into a building across the plaza.

Even without being synced with Amelia, Amber winced at the blow the NetNavi took. She turned her gaze back to the battle in time to see the speck of her partner launch into the air, purple light pouring out around her before a huge blast rocketed from her and slammed into her opponent, throwing up a cloud of dust and smoke. The pair of ponies found themselves holding their breaths as the smoke started to clear only to for their eyes to widen and pupils to shrink as another beam of light launched from the cloud, dispersing it with the recoil and revealing the Life Virus, still completely unharmed. The NetNavi was forced to dodge out of the way and the two combatants took up their relentless back and forth once more.

Amber Leaf stared at the display before she took in a sharp breath and looked to Sombra. “We have to hurry.”

“Agreed,” Sombra answered gruffly, turning sharply and returning to stand at the edge of the trap holding the Crystal Heart.

The crystal mare came to stand next to him, staring at the magical crystal while Sombra inspected his malicious creation. “How are we supposed to get the Heart?” She questioned, throwing a worried look towards her companion before he finally looked up with a heavy sigh.

“Under normal circumstances, the puzzle is an easy one,” the dark stallion replied, glancing at her briefly before looking to the Crystal Heart. “A unicorn would have to be the one to take the Heart with their horn. Otherwise, I could just disable the trap. But as things stand now….” The unicorn trailed off, eyes falling as a hoof unconsciously traveled up to the stump of his once proud horn. He closed his eyes and took a deep heavy breath as he placed his hoof back on the floor before he opened his eyes with a hard look deep within them.

“Nothing is ever simple….” Amber heard him mutter before he squared his shoulders and looked at her. “Go to the other side of the circle,” he ordered simply, starting to widen and strengthen his stance.

“Wha-”

“No questions,” Sombra cut her off softly, glancing back at her again while flashing a small smile. The mare hesitated a moment before she nodded her head, turning and running around the circle until she was just opposite him.

“Here?” She questioned, receiving a nod of confirmation from the stallion. “Alright… now, what are we going to-” Amber never had a chance to finish her question before Sombra suddenly charged forward. The large stallion ran forward unfettered before he twisted his forehooves and planted them, spinning as he lifted his hindquarters and bucked the Crystal Heart with everything he had. The artifact launched from its free-floating space, hitting Amber’s chest before she had a chance to process what was happening. She wrapped her legs around the Heart, sliding on her rear hooves to stop her momentum before she had to plant one of her other hooves to keep herself upright. “Are you insane!?” She shouted, looking up with an angry look in her eyes only to stop at what she saw.

Black, savage crystals wrapped around the monarch’s body, growing even as the crystal pony watched, Sombra’s eyes screwed up in pain as he was swallowed by his own trap. SLowly he lifted his head and opened his eyes to look at her. “Go, Amber,” he said in a strained voice, the plea not lost in his gaze. “Hurry. The others need you.”

The pale mare felt her throat start to constrict as she watched the dark structures crawl over his body towards his face. “But… but what about you?” She asked in a choked voice.

A humorless breath of laughter escaped the unicorn’s lips as he stretched his neck to give himself a few more seconds. “This is what I deserve, Amber,” he answered quietly. “For the pain I caused… the sins I committed…. This is a fitting end to a tyrant like me. Now please, save our people. And, even as hollow as it is now… as much as you hate me, remember… I always loved you.” The stallion said the final words with a hard conviction before the crystals overtook the edges of his lips, straining them shut and sealing Sombra’s tomb.

Amber quivered at the twisted statue that the stallion had become, eyes watering dangerously before she raised a leg and covered her eyes. “Y-you stupid fool…,” she muttered half-heartedly before she planted her hoof back on the floor and swallow her sorrow. The steadfast mare marched back to the edge of the platform, watching Amelia and the Life Virus fight for dominance once more. She glanced down over the edge, spotting the balcony to the throne room far below her. She glanced over her shoulder towards the stairway that had been sealed by Sombra’s last sporadic magic burst. Knowing the way was useless to her, she turned back, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. She opened her gaze and stepped to the edge, half of her forehoof over the edge as she clutched the Crystal Heart closer to her chest… before she leaned forward and fell from the top of the Crystal Palace’s tower. Rather than thrashing about, her mind calmed as she looked eyes with the balcony that was rushing up to meet her. Her unoccupied hoof came up to meet the PET that Amelia had given her, the mare feeling the link between herself and her partner opening up once more. The second ticked by, Amber closing her eyes and letting out the breath that she’d been holding as the terrace raced closer to her, ready to crush and mangle her body and to snuff out her life.

Weight slammed into Amber’s side, wrapping around her as she felt her body and the presence twist and turn in the air until the sound of metallic boots scraping against crystal. Their momentum slowed to a stop, the mare opening her eyes to look up into Amelia’s own worried, green orbs. “What were you thinking!?” The woman questioned hysterically, putting Amber down before starting to check her for injuries while keeping her still transformed arm out of the way.

The mare gave a soft grin. “I knew you'd catch me,” she replied, receiving a small sigh from the NetNavi.

“Still you shouldn't put yourself at risk,” Amelia chastised. “I'm the team blowhard. Speaking of… where's Sombra?”

Amber’s smile faded and she let her eyes drop to the floor. “Sombra… he…,” she began, her eyes brimming as her voice threatened to leave her. “He sacrificed himself to get the Heart.”

The Navi paused at this for a long moment before her eyes turned to the floor. “...Good riddance,” she finally muttered, barely loud enough for Amber Leaf to hear words. The mare winced slightly at the words before Amelia straightened up to her feet, finally taking a look around the room they had landed in. The crystal pony didn’t look up until a surprised whistle issued forth from the NetNavi, drawing her attention to their surroundings. Her eyes widened and let out an involuntary gasp at the destruction around her.

The walls, ceiling, and floor were all covered in ice, the only sign of the crystal architecture being the slashes, craters, and burn marks that littered the area. Spikes of ice pierced the floor, some still in one piece while others had crumbled to various degrees. “What… what the hell happened in here…?” Amelia questioned, her eyes wide.

“Maybe… maybe it was that other NetNavi,” Amber muttered, gaze traveling over the scene. The dark-suited woman stopped cold at that, turning her eyes on her partner slowly.

“Other… Net… Navi…?” Amelia questioned, her voice low and… frightened, drawing the mare’s gaze up to her.

Amber actually flinched at the look she received from the Navi. “H-he showed up after Celestia took off,” she said quietly. “S-...Sombra called him… Freezeman. Luna stayed behind to give me and- us a chance to get to the Heart.”

Amelia’s eyes grew worried at that and she looked up to their surroundings again. “If Freezeman was here…,” she said quietly, eyes scanning the room. “Then… where’s Luna?” The pale blue pony’s eyes widened at that before she too started to search the room with her eyes.

“Split up,” the crystal mare said worriedly, her partner moving immediately to do just that.

“No needeth for drastic measures.” Pony and Navi stopped short and turned towards a pile of rubble that had once been the grand throne. Luna stood just in the line of sight, her armor dented in a few places while the mare herself looked like she’d seen better days. Her eyes were tired and bloodshot while a cut across her cheek still oozed blood. “We are quite alright.”

Amelia let out a sigh of relief, her body relaxing. “Good to hear…” she said quietly before looking up to the princess as she approached them. “But what happened to Freezeman? I can’t imagine he went down easily.”

“No, he didst not,” Luna replied as she limped to a halt in front of them. “Ere I could beat him, a portal opened up and tooketh him hence.”

“That's… troubling,” the cloaked Navi muttered, receiving a nod from her partner before she shrugged. “But if he's gone he's gone and there's not much we can do about that.” A loud boom rumbled the building, forcing the trio to stumble for their balance.

“Speaking of not much we can do,” Amber groaned before they ran to the balcony to find the Life Virus thundering towards them. As they watched, the beast looked up to turn its gaze on them, the yellow lights flashing.

“Greeeat,” Amelia breathed as she watched it approach. “The bitch came back.”

The Navi’s partner threw her a disapproving look at the woman’s language before shaking her head and giving a sigh before she looked back up at the beast bent on tearing them apart. “We need to hurry,” she said simply, earning a nod from the others.

“Agreed,” Amelia said before looking to the sky. “But I do believe we’re down a party member. Anybody seen Ce-”

A bright flash interrupted the woman, the golden armored alicorn appearing next to her. “I believe you called,” Celestia greeted mischievously, flashing them each a small grin.

“I was working on it,” the dark Navi answered, rubbing her eyes for a second before she gave a little chuckle. “How are the civilians?”

“Safe and sound under the palace,” the solar princess answered before she glanced around them, eyes narrowing. “And where is Sombra? I don’t suppose the cur had the decency to stay and-”

“Sombra’s gone.” Amber Leaf’s sharp words stopped the taller mare dead, each of her companions throwing the usually quiet mare a stunned look. The mare kept her head bowed as they looked at her, suddenly spinning in place and walking back into the throne room. Amelia seemed to be the only one that noticed the water droplets that hit the ground as the mare left.

“...Let’s get to work,” the Navi muttered softly, turning and following her NetOp. The sisters watched her go before they shared a look, the younger giving a shrug after a moment before they, too, made their way inside.

Amber had come to a stop in front of the statue of Amore, Crystal Heart in hoof. Amelia and the diarchs stopped next to her, their eyes falling on the dark crystal mare before them. “Any idea on how to do this?” Amelia questioned, throwing a raised eyebrow to each of her compatriots.

“I may have an idea,” Celestia answered, stepping forward a bit before looking towards Amber Leaf. “May I?” She asked, nodding towards the Crystal Heart. The mare’s only response was a little nod, extending the Heart out to the princess. Celestia’s golden aura lit up around the artifact and pulled it closer to her. “Sister, would you please help me?”

The darker alicorn gave a small nod. “Of course, sister,” Luna answered, stepping forward to stand next to her fellow princess. They shared a look and the Heart floated between them, Luna’s darker blue aura joining her sister’s. Each of the alicorn’s looked towards the statued Amore, the magical aura around their horns growing brighter as their eyes began to shine with pure light. The sisters’ horns flashed with energy before saddlebags appeared over their backs. The tops of the bags opened up and six jewels of differing colors came out to float alongside the Crystal Heart. Slowly, the gems began to glow with their own internal light, circling around the much bigger crystal. Slowly, both princesses began to ascend into the air, the artifacts in front of them glowing brighter and brighter until a rainbow of power surged forth from the alicorns. The magic ray focused through the Crystal Heart, the jewel glowing bright enough for Amber and Amelia to cover their eyes as they watched.

The NetNavi lowered her hand as the lights faded, eyes going wide at she saw before her. The statue had been transformed into a tall and strikingly beautiful mare, her coat a pink color that was so pale it almost looked white while her mane was contrasted by a hot pink that morphed into a soft blue near the ends. She stood taller than the younger of the royal sisters, yet still, Celestia stood a few inches taller than she did and when she opened her brilliant amber eyes, Amelia knew why her companions held this unicorn in such high respects.

“Lu? Celly!?” The pink princess questioned, her eyes brightening as a smile alit her features. The sisters smiled in kind despite their tired expressions before the three ran forward and embraced one another. “Oh, it is so good to see you both again.”

“It is valorous to see thee as well, Amy,” Luna answered, issuing a slight giggle from the taller unicorn.

“Still keeping up with old traditions I see,” ‘Amy’ observed in good humor before she looked up and spotted Amber Leaf and Amelia behind them. She let go of the hug she and the diarchs had been holding, the alicorns moving out of the way to give their friend room. “Amber…?” She said softly, making her way forward almost tentatively. The much smaller mare seemed to hesitate a moment before tears lit up in her eyes.

“Princess!” She exclaimed in a soft voice, jumping forward and wrapping her hooves around the pink unicorn, her body shaking with her sobs. “I-I thought-” she stopped as her tears choked out her voice.

“Shhh…,” Amore hushed gently, rubbing a hoof over the shorter mare’s back. “It’s alright, dearest Amber. I am alright. Despite Sombra’s afflictions, he was never truly a murderer. He wove his spell well even under the stresses of his mental captivity.” The unicorn pulled the crystal pony closer to her as if to reassure her of this fact before her eyes wandered about the room again. “And… where is my student?”

Amber sniffed and drew back from the princess, rubbing a foreleg over her eyes. “Sombra sacrificed himself,” she said, lowering her hoof to reveal her red and puffy eyes. “He sprung his own trap so that we could retrieve the Crystal Heart.”

A small ‘tch,’ drew the pair’s attention to the dark NetNavi standing by, Amelia’s arms crossed as she looked out towards the balcony. “Forgive my shortcomings,” Amore said, raising up to her full height. “Who are you, warrior and… what is it that you hold against my student?”

“Name’s Amelia,” the Navi answered, turning and giving a short head bow to the monarch. “And as for Sombra, he was a lying, manipulative sadist that put himself before his people. So, mind control or not, he got what he deserved.” Amelia stood steadfast even as her partner visibly winced at her words and the princess narrowed her eyes at her.

After a moment, Amore closed her eyes and let out a short, tired sigh before looking back up at the cloaked woman. “While I do not like hearing your judgments,” she began, stepping forward a bit and drawing Amelia’s full attention to her. “I cannot blame you for them, especially knowing that you did not know Sombra as I did. However-” The unicorn was cut off as a series of explosions rocked the building, a titanic roar following the shockwaves. “What on Equis was that!?” Princess Amore questioned, eyes widening.

“That,” Amelia answered, straightening up after having rushed to Amber’s side to support her. “Was the reason we woke you up so quickly.” Amore didn’t seem to completely register the remark as she started to step towards the terrace. She froze as she got her first look at the Life Virus in all its monstrous glory as it picked itself up out of three craters.

“What is that beast?” The princess asked in a breathless tone, her body frozen to the spot.

“The Life Virus,” the Navi answered as she stopped beside the unicorn. “And plans to wipe us, the palace, and all the civilians in its walls out in our entirety… and it will unless we do something quick.”

“What did you have in mind?” Amore queried, turning to face the woman with a steadied look on her face.

Amelia threw a little grin. “We’re going to hit it,” she said simply. “Really fucking hard.” Amore stared after her with wide eyes as the NetNavi turned and made her way inside before soon following after until Amelia came to a stop in the middle of the room, hands on her waist. “Here’s the plan. The Life Virus has a shield around it called the Life Aura. It is a force field that is completely and utterly invulnerable.”

“Then how doth we get past it?” Luna questioned, walking forwards with the others to form a sort of circle.

“Simple,” the Navi answered with a shrug. “While the shield is invulnerable, it is not infinite. Whenever the shield takes a big enough hit, it’s forced into reset, however, it only lasts milliseconds before it comes back online.” The mares’ eyes widened at the revelation.

“Not even I could move fast enough to get through that,” Celestia breathed, looking to each of them in turn. “And teleporting inside a barrier like that would most certainly be suicide.”

“You’re right,” Amelia confirmed. “In order to take this thing down, someone would have to get inside the shield within the time frame and hit with enough power to kill it in one shot.”

“Just one?” Amore said in disbelief. “Even if something were fast enough to get through to it, nothing in the world would be able to put it down.”

“But I can.” All eyes turned to the dark Navi as she stared back with a hardened gaze. “On my own, I can't get through the Life Aura, but, if you guys hit it with everything you've got, I can slip in.”

Amber Leaf gawked at her partner before shaking her head. “Amelia, I know you're fast but-”

“I can't do it alone,” the young woman interrupted, throwing a soft smile to her NetOp. “If we’re going to do this… we have to use full synchro.” The crystal pony’s eyes widened at that before she hardened her gaze and nodded.

“Let’s do it,” Amber said resolutely, taking a step forward before her eyes went to her princess as Amore gave a little chuckle.

“My, you have grown up, haven’t you?” The unicorn said with a small smile before she trotted over and wrapped the smaller mare in a quick hug. “My little Amber Leaf.”

Amber Leaf returned the hug with the first beaming smile Amelia had seen her with since they’d met, a slow smile spreading across her own face. “Thank you, princess,” the crystal pony replied, hugging Amore a little more tight for a moment and letting go before turning back to her partner with a confident smirk. “Let’s do this.”

Amelia nodded and turned towards the balcony. “You heard the mare,” she said with an enormous grin. “Let’s rock. Amber, kick it!” Amber Leaf reached up to the PET hanging from her neck, slipping it over her head and opening it up. The NetNavi closed her eyes and felt Amber’s mind reach out to her’s, letting their consciousnesses meld and mold together. The dividing line between Navi and Op grew slimmer and slimmer until there was nothing left. Green and blue eyes flared open, the NetPartners throwing a pair of grins up.

“We’re gonna knock!” Amelia and Amber announced, the Navi running forward towards the balcony. “Keep tight until it locks onto me/Amelia, then break off and hit it with all you've got!”

Amelia didn't wait for an answer as she planted her boot on the railing and launched herself up and over the Life Virus, its glowing eyes raising up to follow her. The NetNavi threw her arm out to her side, her gauntlet folding out into their buster form before she aimed and fired. Bolts of purple slammed into the Life Aura and detonated, throwing up clouds of smoke before the Navi slammed into the ground. The crystal cracked under her boots, buster smoking as she looked up to see the virus turning towards her.

“Now or never, guys!” Amelia shouted, jumping back just as a huge fist slammed into where she’d been standing before. As she touched down on the top of a building in front of the Life Virus, the three princesses began to fly up behind the monster, Amore using her magic to levitate as all their horns lit up. Three beams of magic flew forward, hot pink, gold, and cobalt blue slamming into the enormous shield. In less than the time it took to blink, Amelia flashed forward. The green-eyed Navi let out a breath that fogged up on the shield before a flicker flashed. In the next of the program’s moments, the Life Aura was gone and in the next she was inside the forcefield. Amelia felt the aura scrape against the bottom of her boot… and then everything was gone for Amber. The mare’s eyes flared open as she held onto the PET, a big red 0% flashing on the screen. She looked up as quickly as she could, a message playing out of the device.

“I’m sorry, Amber Leaf,” Amelia’s voice spoke, as much in her mind as in her ears. “I couldn’t tell you the last part of the plan. The Life Aura is going to trap me in here when the virus explodes and… I’m not going to let you die with me. There’s no network in your world, nowhere for my data to reform once I’m gone. This was the only way this was going to happen and… I want you to know that the time I got to spend with you has been the best in my life. And… before I go… there’s still a heartbeat at the top of the tower.”

Amber’s eyes went wide as the PET went dark. A roar of anger and pain shook the world and Amber jerked her gaze up to watch as Amelia, eyes glowing bright red as a black and purple aura poured out around her. Amelia activated every last available battlechip she had left and extended her leg, her boot transform into a weight-like shape before it slammed into the Life Virus’ chest. Cracks scattered over the abomination’s entire form before it shattered. Brilliant light filled the city and an explosion rocked the very foundations of the empire. When the light faded, the princesses and Amber Leaf looked to the area to find… nothing. Amber’s body shook for several moments before she collapsed to the ground, head bowed as tears poured out of her eyes, some of them splattering onto PET that sat on the ground with a static-filled screen….

Author's Note:

The beast is gone and the hero vanquished. The ponies return to their existing, events unfolding as they would. The questions left to linger may never find an answer but... that is the way of displaced, isn't it?

Annnnd ROLL CREDITS! When the Bass Drops draws to it's end, which... I'm kinda sad to see go.... The sad truth is, I don't have time to keep so many stories going so... I've decided to let this one go and focus on Equestrian Psycho as much as I can. Someday, I might try rewriting this story, but until then... this is the end. Thank you guys so much for enjoying this story. So, without further ado... I'll see you guys in the next one....