• Published 21st Jul 2012
  • 821 Views, 7 Comments

The Dream Catcher - SilverOrion



What does the battle between a dream catcher, and the darkest of nightmares, look like? Pipe Dream knows, and he only wishes he could forget...

  • ...
 7
 821

The Legend of Olympus

There was once a unicorn stallion known as "Olympus." He was known as the most clever and powerful stallion of his days, days before the days of Starswirl the Bearded. It was during the days of Olympus that the nations of pony-kind were divided into nations three - the unicorns, the pegasi, and the earth ponies. These nations held a fierce prejudice with one another, seeing the unicorns as spoiled and rich, the pegasi as manipulative and malicious, and the earth ponies as selfish and without mercy. One day, in order to bring about a sense of kindness between the nations, an alicorn - the rarest of the breeds - had made a declaration for all the nations:

As I look at you three bickering nations, I shake my head with woe. May the lands of Equestria never be forced to see the turmoil that you nations share today ever again in the future. Today, I write this declaration in the hopes that this one event may bring peace to all you nations of Equestria, and that event is thus. On the fortieth day after the solstice, let there be a competition of athletics, to bring the nations together. Those nations who arrive in the first and second place of the athletic competition will be deemed appropriate to attempt to live on the land of Equestria in diplomatic harmony. The third nation, however, will be cast out of Equestria, and will no longer be allowed to live on the lands of Equestria.

A decree by one of the few alicorns of Equestria,

-Pragmatist Law

Pragmatist Law, upon making his decree, had intended that the competition would show which two of the nations were the most developed. And, in theory, it should be the two most well developed nations who would be able to make diplomatic negotiations the most effectively.

Of course, the implications of the declaration had infuriated the unicorn nation. How, in an athletics tournament, could the unicorn nation prove its state of development? Clearly, the pegasi and the earth pony nations would win the tournament, and as a result, the unicorn nation would be forced to leave the lands of Equestria, forever. The odds were against them, and the unicorn nation felt betrayed by the alicorn Pragmatist Law.

The athletic competition sparked heated controversy. While the unicorn nation complained over the unfairness of the competition, the earth pony and pegasi nations pushed that the competition was indeed fair and that the unicorn nation was "whining over mere foal's play."

Alicorns, being seen as a sign of mediation between the nations, were given total authority over diplomacy, and Pragmatist Law made it clear that the competition of athletics would in fact commence on the fortieth day after the solstice. And, having full authority over the diplomacy of the nations, Pragmatist Law declared that, regardless of any complaints from any of the three parties involved, the competition would go on, in rain or shine, and would not, under any circumstances, fair or unfair, be canceled.

This was the final blow to the unicorn nation. The athletics competition would go on, and would not be canceled or changed in any way on account of the way the competition was set. Weeks of despair plagued the unicorn nation, as families and leaders tried to decide on what to do about the situation at hand.

Finally, one unicorn stallion, who had heard the grieving of his neighbors, made a brave decision. Stepping out of his house, this stallion trotted up to the unicorn council's tower, and knocked at the door, pride for his nation in his heart. He knew what he felt he needed to do, and that was to think of a clever way to solve the problem. This stallion, as told in stories from generations and generations to come, has always been known to be called "Olympus."

Upon being granted entrance to the unicorn council's tower, Olympus pleaded his case. The unicorn nation appeared to be doomed in the face of an athletics competition, unless they could acquire what Olympus had described as the Bands of Strength. These Bands of Strength, as they were called, only worked in the presence of unicorns, and when used, it would multiply the physical capabilities of a unicorn tremendously. The members of the council replied with condemning words, saying that the Bands of Strength were mere legend, and nothing more, and that a unicorn's physical abilities could not be multiplied by any magic artifact. Unshaken, Olympus pressed on, pleading the council to tell him where amongst the hills of Equestria may he possibly find the artifact, in case it did exist. Upon warning Olympus that these bands were mere legend, the council replied, saying that if by some miracle, they would exist atop the Mountain of the Moon.

The Mountain of the Moon, explained the council, was the tallest of all the mountains in Equestria, and existed in the center of the land, pointing up into the skies, straight at the moon. The Mountain of the Moon was a distant symbol of harmony, of a connectedness to the universe and the world, a connection between openness and solidness, a unity between differences. It was also within The Mountain of the Moon that we had re-established the harmony with each other, but that is another story.

The council also warned Olympus of the dangers of The Mountain of the Moon. Recluses - known as the night ponies, in honor of the moon - lived there apart from the three nations of the ponies, on account of the fact that the three nations of the ponies had forsaken harmony. As such, the night ponies who lived on The Mountain of the Moon would in turn be hostile to any newcomers from any of the neighboring nations. The council warned Olympus that these ponies must be feared and respected, because of it being told that they had the power to feel emotion, control thoughts, and even drive ponies insane.

But Olympus was braver than to be discouraged from what he knew he had to do on account of fear. Accepting the consequences that may possibly lie ahead of him, Olympus made a vow to the council that he would indeed travel up The Mountain of the Moon in search of the Bands of Strength, regardless of the dangers that may face him. Olympus would, in the face of all fears and dangers, retrieve the Bands of Strength and return them to the unicorn nation, so that the unicorns may live on in Equestria for the rest of their days.

The council sent Olympus away, to go out on his journey if he so willed it. As Olympus left the unicorn nation for The Mountain of Olympus, many a unicorn wept, because the thought of Olympus inevitably failing his journey was more than the unicorns could bear. Things seemed even more hopeless for the unicorns of the unicorn nation - but not for Olympus. Olympus set his goal in mind, and that was to retrieve the Bands of Strength, and Olympus refused to fail.

Upon three month's time, Olympus finally journeyed to The Mountain of the Moon. Looking up, Olympus saw the mountain stand like a pillar in the night's sky, pointing directly toward the moon, in a forsaken whisper of harmony far forgone.

Without hesitation, Olympus set his first hoof on the mount, then the other, as he began to venture to the highest heights of the mountain in search of the Bands of Strength. As he continued to climb, the air grew colder. As he continued to climb, the world appeared smaller. It was when he found himself halfway up the mountain that he dared look behind him, seeing the three nations off in the distance.

Looking back to the trail which he ventured upon, he happened to look into the eyes of another pony who had only just seemed to appear before him.

"I have been watching you for some time." spoke the pony, finally.

This pony was unlike any kinds of ponies Olympus had ever seen. It was a pony with a black coat, and a mane and tail which appeared to him like fire. This pony, Olympus ventured, must be a night pony.

"I hope I have not disturbed you," replied Olympus, attempting to begin the conversation with diplomacy.

"You have." spoke the night pony again, monotone. "No other ponies but the night ponies are allowed upon the Mount of the Moon."

The night pony turned around and began walking away from Olympus, and at this point, Olympus heard a voice within his thoughts, telling him to follow; and so, he followed the night pony.

The night pony continued up the trail for some time, before turning in to a cave with torch lights decorating the cave walls. Obediently, Olympus followed, not wishing to cause any further offense, until he followed the night pony into an open catacomb lit with more torches than the cave he had trotted through previously. The catacomb felt warm and inviting to Olympus, although Olympus knew the ominous reality. He had been captured, and was sure to be brought to the council of the night ponies.

And sure enough, he was right. Before him, a pillar stood, where a taller night pony stood. Around Olympus stood other night ponies, appearing to be agitated by his presence.

After a moment of silence, the taller night pony spoke.

"I, Phoebe, leader of the night ponies, have been told that you have trespassed upon our sacred mountain. Now, I ask, is why you have transgressed our laws that we have set for ponies of your kind."

Olympus, beginning with diplomacy, replied, "The unicorns of the unicorn nation are under circumstances which may end in banishment of us from Equestria on account of a competition of athletics which will take place upon the fortieth day after the solstice. As such, I have come here in search of the Bands of Strength, in order that the unicorns of my nation may have a fair advantage in the competition, so that me might not be excommunicated from our home"

After a moment, the Phoebe responded, "And why, do you imagine, we would be interested in helping your nation? Have you not already disgraced pony-kind with bickering and disharmony?"

With thought, Olympus replied, "If the unicorn nation is banished from Equestria, then it would be impossible to reunite the three nations in harmony once again, which is why I have come to obtain the Bands of Strength."

With a look of amusement on her face, Phoebe replied, "Do you not realize that the Bands of Strength could easily be used as a weapon for the unicorn nation? What can you do to prove to me that your actions are directed towards the reuniting of the nations, rather than to shatter them even more?"

Olympus thought, and replied, "Let there be a test of your choosing, which you could make me prove that my desires are pure."

Phoebe stood upon the pillar, considering Olympus' words. "Very well, a test you will have. A test of bravery, that is. For you see, anger grows where fear is present, therefore, if you are strong in your wits, then you must be pure of heart."

It was at this time that Olympus was caught off-guard, feeling the world around him changing, as the night ponies who stood around him blurred, then disappeared from his vision. Briefly, Olympus lost his bearings, but he regained his composure and stood confidently all the same. Then, a small table appeared about several pony-lengths before Olympus, with four bands laying upon it.

"If you want to take the Bands of Strength," spoke the voice Phoebe, "then take them."

Olympus trotted forward, slowly and steadily, expecting something to happen - but nothing happened. Everything seemed peaceful and fine, besides the appearance of his entire world being composed of a milky-white vastness all around him. Stepping up to the table, Olympus carefully absorbed the sight before him - four bands, with equal distance from each other, in a square shape. Feeling confident, Olympus attempted to lift the bands with care - but failed.

"You're forgetting something, Unicorn," spoke the Phoebe once more.

The bands immediately lifted on their own, levitating in the air before Olympus. It was at this moment that Olympus felt a sense of discomfort. Defying all reasoning, the bands then converted into a fluid which reminded Olympus of a shadow - but this time, in the form of a liquid.

"When a night pony - or, perhaps in this case, a night mare - makes you a dream, it is its dream, rather than your own."

- - -

From that moment forward, there is no document for what happened afterwards, as it had been told that Phoebe showed compassion for Olympus and his bravery, that she did her best to cause him to lose his memory of whatever he had experienced in the moments proceeding the floating bands. However, it is known that on account of his bravery, Phoebe gifted Olympus with the Bands of Strength in order to continue the struggle to preserve whatever harmony was left in the three nations. However, she also sent him away with a warning to never return, lest they be obliged to shatter his mind forever.

With the Bands of Strength equipped to his person, Olympus found that his physical abilities were indeed multiplied. What had taken him months to travel now took days, and it was under a quarter-month that Olympus finally returned to the unicorn nation with the Bands of Strength shining proudly upon his hooves. With hope restored to the unicorn nation, the unicorn council appointed Olympus to be the unicorn who would represent the unicorn nation in the test of athletics.

Upon the fortieth day thereafter the solstice, the competition began. On that day, Gaia represented the earth ponies, Boreas represented the pegasus ponies, and Olympus represented the unicorn ponies. The athletics competition involved three parts - the race, the hay bale throw, and archery, to test speed, strength, and dexterity alike. With the Bands of Strength equipped, Olympus succeeded in the two former competitions with tremendous success, but made carefully sure that he would falter in the third test to distract any suspicions against him. In the end, the earth and unicorn nations turned out to win in the first and second places overall, with the pegasi nation falling behind.

Of course, the pegasi were known for their cleverness and stubbornness in their day of disharmony, and in protest to banishment, they established their new city - a city in the sky made of clouds - which neither unicorn nor earth pony could tread on. While hovering above Equestria, the pegasi insisted that they had in fact honored their deal in the competition by not setting hoof on the Equestrian land, and that they were in fact not breaking the rules, as the pegasus icon Boreas had construed. Nevertheless, each of the nations lived in their own personal happiness from that day forward, but sadly not altogether moved for the better in the direction of harmony.