• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 1,192 Views, 26 Comments

Stories of the Changeling War - SparrowFae



The changeling attack on Canterlot was just the beginning.

  • ...
4
 26
 1,192

Twilight Sparkle 1

Another swarm had been spotted moving toward Fillydelphia. The smaller, nearby towns would need to be evacuated. Cloudsdale was repelling yet another attack. The fighting there had been almost non-stop since the war began. Supplies and rations would need to be sent to the pegasus city as soon as possible. A small swarm was reportedly lurking somewhere along the major road between Canterlot and Hoofington. The caravan that had left the capital yesterday would have to be warned and rerouted.

The entire war stretched out before Twilight Sparkle, represented by clay figures atop an immense map. Beneath the seeming chaos, she could see the pattern to the conflict, the actions and reactions as ponies and changelings clashed across Equestria. Most of the fighting was concentrated around the northern part of the country, near the capital, but it was slowly spreading south. The trail of destruction was indicated by a series of small red 'X's that marked the place where a town or city had stood before the changelings had annihilated it. One such marker always loomed at the corner of the unicorn's vision. Ponyville. Her home and the first town to burn. The historians would say that this war had started in Canterlot when the changeling queen, Chrysalis, had infiltrated the royal court, but for Twilight, Ponyville would always mark the beginning.

At the time, it had seemed like just another challenge, like confronting the Ursa Minor or even Discord. Dangerous, but temporary. Twilight never realized the scale of the threat, never even considered that her entire life would change in the blink of an eye. And no matter how many ponies told her otherwise, it still felt like her fault. Even after a year and a half, the guilt still lingered. If only she had been stronger or more prepared, she might have been able to defend the town. But she'd failed, and her friends and loved ones had paid the price. Now, her only purpose was to set things right and do all she could to finish this war.

Mostly, that meant putting her organizational skills to use. Princess Luna decided where the various aspects of Equestrian military moved, but it was Twilight's job to make sure they got there swiftly and always had the resources they needed. Additionally, the unicorn coordinated the refugee camps that now encrusted the major cities. It was a monumental job, but Twilight found it almost satisfying.

With a sigh, the lavender pony finished the list of orders she was working on and set down her quill. She was eager to begin executing the checklist, but it was after midnight and everypony in Canterlot was asleep. Twilight knew she should be in bed as well, but it was difficult to pull herself away from the map. There was always that nagging feeling that she might be missing something. A wide yawn interrupted her attempt to further scrutinize the map. The unicorn rubbed her eyes, suddenly realizing how heavy their lids were.

Well, she’d never found anything in previous double-checks. She viciously silenced the little voice in the back of her mind saying, “There’s a first time for everything,” and hopped down from the raised, circular platform that surrounded the map. The war room always seemed eerie when it wasn’t bustling with activity. During the day, the large, tower-top chamber was filled with generals, admirals, strategists, and usually a noble or two. Twilight stopped, as she always did, to admire the view from the southern window. It was almost a form of self-torture, as the ruins of Ponyville lay, clearly visible as a black scar on the pristine landscape. But, night after night, Twilight stood there, reminding herself of her failure.

“You did everything you could.” The unicorn jumped, barely managing to suppress a surprised squeak as Princess Luna spoke. “I apologize. I did not mean to startle you,” the starry-maned princess said.

“You didn’t,” Twilight said quickly, “I mean, I was just . . . how long were you standing there?”

“Not long. But I have seen you like this on many other occasions,” Luna said, her voice soft with sympathy.

Twilight glanced away, “Like what?” she said. Before the words escaped her mouth, she knew that the Princess would see through her feigned ignorance.

“You know of what I speak,” the princess declared, “You blame yourself for the destruction of your home.”

Unlike her sister, Luna had little skill with tact and her bluntness grated against Twilight’s sleep-deprived nerves.” It wasn’t just my home. Over five hundred ponies lived there. And I let them down,” she said sulkily.

“No single pony can take responsibility for all others. Not even my sister nor I. This lesson you must learn, Twilight Sparkle. Sometimes the world is simply thrown out of balance. When that happens, there are always casualties. Blaming yourself for the works of fate leads only to despair.”

An awkward pause ensued. Luna seemed to be expecting some sort of response. Twilight didn’t feel any better, but the cold, logical part of her brain realized that the older mare had a point. And it was still inappropriate to argue with a Princess.

“Of course, your highness,” Twilight said.

Luna raised an eyebrow and Twilight was certain that she knew she was being placated, but she did not continue her lecture. Instead she grunted lightly and said, “I was hoping to speak with you on another matter.” Twilight perked her ears at Luna’s change in tone. Despite the war, the two of them usually interacted informally as friends. When the Princess came to her on business, it was always serious.

“I have a task for you,” the alicorn continued, “It concerns the changelings’ seemingly unlimited number of drones. My sister and I believe their abundance is unnatural and that it may be possible to put an end to their reinforcements.”

“What do you need me to do?” Twilight asked.

“What you do best,” Luna replied, “The library has several tomes describing the changelings and their powers. Start by checking those for anything that could explain their abnormal rate of reproduction. If that yields no results expand your search. I am afraid we have very few leads at the moment, but I am confident in your abilities. Make this your top priority.”

“Yes your highness,” Twilight said as an odd cocktail of emotions began to swirl in her chest. It would be nice to do some research back in the library, but it would be a difficult assignment and she foresaw many sleepless nights.

“Good,” Luna said. Here, she paused, looking uncertain for a moment. “There is one other matter I wished to discuss.”

“Of course, Princess.”

Luna met Twilight’s gaze squarely. For an instant, sadness danced in the alicorn’s midnight eyes. Then she blinked, and there was nothing but a steely resolve. “I have not seen you on the practice field since your initial combat training.”

The young unicorn was taken aback. The Princess had always been one for encouraging guards and soldiers to hone their warriors’ talents, but Twilight had never even considered the notion that Luna would expect her to be able to fight.

“I . . . haven’t really had the time your highness. With my other duties--”

Luna held up her hoof, cutting off Twilight’s train of excuses before it could build momentum. “I know you have been busy,” she said. In a quieter tone, she added, “I also know of your distaste for battle. But your magical talent is surpassed only by my sister and me. You have the potential to be a great warrior, Twilight Sparkle. And you will be needed in the fight before this war is over.”

A lump formed in Twilight’s throat, preventing the stream of protests that immediately jumped to mind. Part of her was glad she couldn’t find the words. The thought of looking like a coward in front of the Princess was almost worse than the thought of being in a battle. But she had to say something. How is somepony supposed to respond to being told that they would have to risk their life for their country? Should she say she was honored? Or that she would do her best? Was there a way to refuse without sounding like she was abandoning her duty? No, Twilight had vowed to do whatever it took to help in the war. But what if she wasn’t good enough? What if she failed again?

“Twilight Sparkle,” Luna’s voice broke into the unicorn’s thoughts, startling her. The princess was giving her an unnerving look. Was that guilt in the alicorn’s eyes? Maybe, but Twilight had never been good at reading other ponies. “My friend,” the Princess continued, “I wish with all my heart that it were not necessary to ask this of you. But I need every asset I can acquire if I am to protect the realm. As such I shall be overseeing your advanced training personally.”

“You don’t have to do that,” Twilight burst out. Luna raised an eyebrow questioningly. “I mean. . . I’m sure there is something more important you could be doing, other ponies you could be helping.”

Luna gave a small smile as she shook her head. “You think I offer you special treatment. And I suppose I do. But not for the reasons you might think. Our friendship is important to me, but it is also important that you be at your best to serve Equestria. And, as I said, there is nopony save my sister and I who surpass you in raw power. My sister is a great ruler, but she is no warrior. Thus it falls to me to see that you reach your potential.”

Any further objections died on Twilight’s lips and the unicorn bowed her head in a nod, praying that the Princess couldn’t see her trembling. Luna let out a breath and said, “Thank you. I am glad you understand. Please meet me in the courtyard tomorrow after breakfast.” Without another word, the alicorn turned and descended from the tower, leaving Twilight alone in the darkness of night.

***

Twilight woke the next day as light from the dawning sun cascaded into her small chamber. She longed to bury her face in her pillow and fall back asleep, but the moment her mind was awake, it was already abuzz with thoughts and worries. There were a dozen things she had to do and her training with the Princess left no time to make a checklist. With a groan, the lavender unicorn rolled out of bed and walked over to her mirror to make herself presentable, then teleported to the palace kitchen.

After a small breakfast of oats and apples, Twilight reluctantly left the kitchen heading towards the courtyard. She realized that she was stalling by walking instead of teleporting, but she was nervous enough not to care. By the time she arrived, the sun was already peaking over the castle walls, illuminating the massive courtyard. There were a few other ponies in the practice yards, mostly guards executing repetitive drills. Here and there, a few ponies clad in black armor sparred or exercised. Those would be the Starless Knights, Princess Luna’s personal task force. Twilight had always found them a little intense. Luna was waiting by one of the larger sparring rings. With a gulp, Twilight approached the princess.

“Ah, here you are, and just in time. There is somepony I would like you to meet,” Luna said. At a small motion of her head, a black-clad mare seemed to resolve from the shadow of the Princess’s tail. The newcomer was an earth pony with a deep green coat and brown mane and tail. Her posture as much as her outfit indicated that she was one of the Starless Knights. Her eyes were a rich, golden color and sparkled with a cold intelligence as she looked Twilight up and down.

“Twilight Sparkle, this is Marigold. She will be your training partner for today.”

The lavender unicorn attempted friendly greeting, smiling and saying, “Pleased to meet you.” Marigold seemed unimpressed and returned Twilight’s salutation with naught but a curt nod. Seemingly annoyed by the pleasantries, the earth pony trotted off to the opposite side of the ring without another word. Twilight glanced quizzically at Luna but the alicorn merely waved a hoof at the ring.

With a growing sense of apprehension, Twilight followed her opponent. “Let us start by reviewing the basics,” Luna declared, “Marigold will attack, and Twilight will defend. Begin.”

The earth pony was in motion before the Princess even finished her command. She streaked toward Twilight, covering the distance between them in the blink of an eye. The unicorn barely had time to conjure a half-dome force field to stop the charging pony. She braced for the impact, but instead of hitting the magical barrier with full force, Marigold altered her course at the last second, striking at an angle. As the force field repulsed her she planted her front hooves and allowed her hindquarters to swing around, transferring the momentum from her charge into a skidding attack around the barrier. Twilight let out a yelp as the earth pony kicked her in the ankle, striking her hooves out from under her.

"A valiant attempt," Luna said as Twilight stood up painfully, "But your defense was incomplete, and any competent warrior will attack such an obvious opening. Again please." Marigold trotted back to her starting position on the other side of the ring, waiting for the Princess's command. "Begin."

Again, the earth pony darted forward, but Twilight had already raised her shield, a full sphere this time. Marigold slid to a stop a few inches in front of the glistening, scarlet force field. She paused, looking mildly annoyed. For a moment, Twilight felt satisfaction. She had improved her barrier since her defeat at Ponyville. There was no way Marigold could penetrate the powerful magic.

"There," the unicorn said, trying not to sound smug, "A complete defense. Does that mean I win this one?"

Marigold raised an eyebrow and cantered away, out of the ring. With a sigh, Twilight released her concentration on the defense spell. "You may wish to reconsider," came Luna's voice. Startled, Twilight looked after Marigold and found her at a weapons rack, hefting a rather sizable ax. With a squeak, the lavender unicorn snapped her shield back into being just as her opponent hurled the weapon at her. The heavy blade rebounded off the shield and fell to the ground with a clang.

The Starless Knight sauntered over to the ax. Grasping the handle in her teeth, she tilted it upwards. "What are you-- AH!" Twilight exclaimed as the glare from the ax's blade flared in her eyes. She lost her concentration on the barrier spell and in the next instant, pain erupted from Twilight's horn. The unicorn's knees buckled under the agony and she fell forward, drifting into a fuzzy semi-consciousness.

"I'm not sure it was necessary to kick her horn quite that hard," said Luna, "But it does illustrate another lesson." Twilight felt the subtle, tingling grasp of a telekinesis spell that lifted her to her feet and steadied her has she regained her balance.

"What happened," asked the dazed unicorn.

"Marigold broke your concentration using the glare from the ax blade," Luna said, "Remember, no matter how good the defense, it is never impenetrable given enough time."

"And then she kicked me in the horn?" Twilight fumed, shooting a glare at her opponent. If the earth pony was sorry, she didn't give any indication.

"Indeed. It is essential to take advantage of your foe's weaknesses, and even more important to guard your own." Twilight scowled, rubbing her horn. This was not at all the way in which a good, productive day should start. "The shield spell is useful against brute force, but it is cumbersome in a one-on-one fight," Luna continued, releasing her telekinetic hold on the younger mare. "This time, be more active. Defend yourself without sacrificing mobility."

Twilight thought furiously as she took up her position opposite Marigold, assembling a hasty plan. Once more, Luna gave the command to begin and once more the green earth pony shot forward. Twilight focused on her spell, feeling the familiar power swelling up to coalesce around her horn. Just as the Starless Knight lunged, Twilight released her spell, teleporting to a point just behind the charging pony. She expected to have a few moments to prepare a counterattack, but the warrior pony reversed almost faster than Twilight could react. She barely managed to avoid another kick by dodging sideways. In a spectacular display of athletics, Marigold twisted, channeling her momentum into another charge, this time from only feet away. Twilight teleported again, this time choosing a spot further away from her dangerous opponent.

"Enough," Marigold froze at the Princess's word. "Well done, Twilight Sparkle."

It took some effort for the unicorn to stop her mind from frantically trying to come up with another spell or trick that would keep Marigold from overrunning her. "Why'd we stop?" she asked, slowly releasing the power she'd built for a knock-back spell.

"You have achieved the goal for this exercise."

"But I didn't even attack yet."

"Your task was to defend yourself, but in doing so, you have created an opportunity to attack. That is the first and most vital step in any conflict. When your enemy commits to an attack, they are vulnerable, and that is the moment to strike. That is the lesson for today. You are free to attend to your other duties. Until tomorrow, my friend."

Twilight bowed as Luna departed. "She's right, you do have potential," Marigold said, trotting after her Princess with a half smile. The expression was more amused than friendly, but Twilight rated it as an improvement over the earth pony's previous, icy demeanor. "Tomorrow you get to make the first move. I'm looking forward to see how you do."

Any pride she had felt at achieving the Princess's goal washed away as she wondered just how much she would have to improve before Luna was satisfied. Twilight looked after the departing mare and rubbed her horn. It still twinged. She hoped not every practice session would be this painful. The headache that was already spreading through her skull was going to make it difficult to concentrate on her Changeling studies.

Regardless, the thought of doing research again was almost intoxicating. Twilight decided to give her horn a rest and walk to the library. A wave of nostalgia crashed over the lavender unicorn as she pushed through the large, elaborately carved, wooden doors into the palace library. The smell of old vellum, paper, and ink wafted out to greet her. It suddenly seemed absurd that she had been back in the palace for so long without visiting this room. Then again, it appeared that nopony had been here since the war started. A thin layer of dust coated every surface and the wall fixtures contained gobs of cold wax instead of candles. To anypony else, it would have seemed forlorn and lonely, but Twilight had always preferred a secluded studying environment. She had always loved school holidays, when all of the Canterlot students stayed home and she got the library all to herself.

Years of studying under Princess Celestia had given Twilight a decent knowledge of each section's contents and before long she'd gathered no less than seven books on changelings. After finding a comfortable, well-lit niche, the studious mare attacked her reading material with a passion. Most of the books were bestiaries with entries describing changelings, their powers, and their need to consume the love of others, all of which Twilight already knew. One tome had a detailed description of the changeling feeding process and a few others contained theories on the creatures' origins and homeland. But the book Twilight was most interested in was an account of previous changeling uprisings. Apparently, they almost never became violent. Instead, the changelings would silently infiltrate a single city, kidnapping citizens and taking their place. Those who were taken were placed in cocoons where they would be trapped in stasis. Usually, the host city would never discover the infestation, and eventually their love would be depleted. Without love, the citizens would be overwhelmed by hatred, fear, and sadness and eventually crumble. In a few rare instances, the changelings would attempt to take over a small country or territory by force. These cases were always an attempt by the creatures to procure land in which to settle, usually after their numbers had swelled due to a string of successful feedings.

Twilight was struck by the stark difference between any of the previous changeling attacks and the one Equestria was facing now. While Chrysalis had begun her campaign by attempting to infiltrate Canterlot, she had simply attacked as soon as she had the opportunity. It seemed like subterfuge hadn't been their main goal at all. Furthermore, any time the changelings entered a conflict it was always small scale, conventional warfare. The widespread destruction and suicide attacks were completely uncharacteristic of a changeling invasion. What was even more troubling was the lack of any recorded use of Behemoths, such as the one that was destroyed at Appaloosa. Never before had the changelings employed such a weapon.

A loud growl from Twilight's stomach informed her that a good deal of time had passed since she had begun her research. Looking up, she realized that the light streaming through the library's large window was beginning to fade. She stood and stretched, then regarded the scattered books with a frown. All they had done was confirm the Princess' suspicion that the changelings had somehow garnered a power that was previously unheard of. But where did that power come from and how could it be defeated?

Another growl from her stomach interrupted the unicorn's theorizing. She never could concentrate on an empty stomach. With a sigh, Twilight picked up her books and returned them to their proper shelves. She debated whether or not to find a book to take with her back to her chamber, but decided against it. It would be better to get an early night before her next training session. With that disheartening thought, she trotted off to find some dinner.

The next few days followed the same routine. She would wake with the dawn, endure an hour or two of painful training, and then retire to the library where she would scrounge for any information that might give a clue as to how to defeat the changelings. She read through catalogues of spells, rituals, and ancient magics, but found nothing that could explain how the changelings reproduced so quickly. Surprisingly, Twilight's combat training was going much better than her academic pursuits. Marigold still battered her near senseless every morning, but Luna's lessons were slowly sinking in. Keep moving, watch for an opening, always attack twice. She hated to admit it, but the Princess's knowledge, combined with her sizable repertoire of magic was making Twilight into quite the warrior.

It was extremely disconcerting for the mare who had never once considered the fact that she might have a talent for violence, and therefore be needed on the front lines. Ever since Ponyville, Twilight had convinced herself that the place she could do the most good was in the war room. Safe in the palace. But now, she was beginning to realize that she might have a place out in the field amidst the bloodshed. And didn't that make sense? She'd been in more than her share of dangerous situations before the war even started. True, she hadn't actually used her magic for violence when she'd faced Nightmare Moon or Discord, but it seemed like the real key to winning a fight was simply thinking faster and better than your opponent. And wasn't that Twilight's specialty? Maybe she wasn't meant to be a student after all. Maybe she'd always been a warrior.

"Lady Sparkle?"

Twilight jumped, startled by the guard's deep voice. Glancing down, she realized that she had been staring at the same page of Ley Lines: Uses and Misuses for nearly two hours.

"What is it?" she said, then realizing how irritable she sounded, "I mean, how can I help you?"

If the guard was offended he didn't show it. "You have a visitor. Would you like me to tell her you're busy?"

"No, no. Have her sent to my room and I'll meet her there," Twilight said, grateful for the distraction from her seemingly futile task. It was probably Pinkie Pie again. This would be the fifth visit this month. With Twilight as her only close friend in Canterlot, it was a wonder that the extroverted mare didn't drop by more often. Taking responsibility for Pumpkin and Pound Cake may have slightly subdued Pinkie's hyperactivity, but it was hard to completely crush a spirit like hers. She'd be driving the guards crazy in a matter of minutes. With a smile, Twilight put away the books she'd been reading and hurried back to her chamber.

With a nod, she dismissed the guard that was outside her door before entering. She froze in her tracks when she saw who was waiting for her.

"Howdy Twilight. Long time no see."

"Applejack," The unicorn whispered, barely able to find the breath to speak. Her heart had skipped a beat and was now racing frantically to make up for it. Confusion stole her voice as she realized that she didn't know what to feel at seeing her old friend again. While she'd been close with all of the friends she'd made in Ponyville, she had a soft spot for the strong, hard working mare. It was hard not to with the number of times Applejack had saved her life. When she was clinging to the side of a cliff, dodging boulders in an avalanche, or feinting after the changelings blasted her barrier spell at Ponyville, Applejack had been there. But then she'd gone off to fight and Twilight had stayed behind. The lavender mare couldn't count the times she'd lain awake at night, wondering if her friend was facing a mortal peril without anyone to come save her.

Now that she was here, Twilight could hardly suppress the joy she felt at seeing the blonde mare's freckled face. But so much had happened since they'd last seen each other. A pang of horror struck Twilight as she caught a glimpse of Applejack's mechanical leg. And she had no idea of how to approach the subject of Big Mac. She still felt sadness over the quiet stallion's death, but it couldn't be anything compared to a sister's grief. It was all just too confusing.

"I . . . I heard about Appaloosa," Twilight said and immediately regretted it at seeing the tortured look in Applejack's eyes.

"It was . . . rough," said the earth pony. There was something off with how still she was. It was too different from the way she'd been before the war; brash, animated, and so very alive.

"I'm so sorry," Twilight said hastily, "I shouldn't have--" The rest of her apology was cut off as the soldier pony barreled into her, flinging her forelegs around her in a tight embrace. After a moment of stunned silence, Twilight awkwardly returned her friend's hug.

"It's good to see ya, Twi," Applejack said, burying her face in Twilight's coat. There was a clearly discernible waver in her voice and Twilight felt a few tears drip onto her shoulder.

Reflexively, the unicorn drew her forelegs tighter around her friend, saying "It's good to see you too. I've missed you." Only now did she realize just how true that statement was. She missed all of the friends that had been flung far and wide by the war, but having Applejack again made all the hardships seem less final.

The earth pony was the one to break the embrace. "Ugh, Ah'm sorry," she murmured, wiping at her eyes, "Ah didn't think Ah'd get so choked up."

"It's okay," Twilight responded quietly. "Come sit down. I'll make some tea."

She took her time boiling the water and preparing the tea leaves, hoping it would give Applejack a chance to compose herself. The silence in the room was tense, but Twilight had resolved to wait until her friend was ready to talk. By the time the steaming beverages were finished steeping, Applejack looked almost like her old self.

Twilight set a mug on the ground next to the cushion where Applejack was sitting and pulled another cushion closer for herself. "Thanks, Twi," the soldier pony said, blowing on her tea before taking a sip. She set the mug down with a sigh. "Ah suppose you're wonderin' why Ah'm here."

"To tell the truth, I'm just happy to see you," Twilight said with a smile.

Applejack smiled too, but it didn't quite light up her eyes the way it used to. "Hayseeds," she muttered, looking away, "Ah wish Ah could be better company. But truth is Ah needed ta talk to ya." Twilight's smile faded at her friend's grim tone. "It's really goin' ta Tartarus out there, Twi. We lose good ponies in every battle, but the changelings never let up. Kill a hundred of 'em and there's another thousand ta take their place. It's like they got so many drones they don't care how many die. The soldiers are hangin' in there, but morale's dropping, and fast. Twilight. I need to know what's really goin' on. I need to know if we can win this."

The unicorn hesitated, unsure if she should tell Applejack about her assignment. But what else could she do? And didn't a soldier deserve to know what she was up against? She couldn't look her friend in the face as she said, "I'm not sure if we can win. You're right. The changelings seem to have an unlimited supply of reinforcements. They're probably using some kind of magic that we don't know about, but so far I haven't found anything that would give them this kind of power." Despair suddenly seized her at the crushing realization of what her failure would mean. The lives of every mare, stallion, and foal, every soldier and civilian, every one of her friends, they all hung in the balance.

"Well, if magic's involved, they sure picked the right pony for the job," Applejack said, genuine confidence ringing in her voice.

"But I'm no closer to the answer than when I started. The only thing that has ever been shown to increase their rate of reproduction successful feeding."

"They feed on love, right? Maybe the war is makin' folks remember how much they love their family an' friends."

Twilight shook her head, "The changelings feed by converting the love of another into pure energy. They need to be in close proximity to their victim to do that, so increasing the overall feeling of love in a country wouldn't help. Besides, I'd say they're causing a lot more pain than love."

"Well, can't they just use that? All the fear and strife? Those are emotions too."

"No. It has to do with the fact that changelings can't feel love. In theory, they could use any emotion, but love is so foreign to them that they can sense it on a different level. Their conversion spell wouldn't be able to lock on to any emotion they couldn't detect like that. I suppose they could use other emotions, but the conversion would have to be done by. . . something. . . else--" Twilight jumped to her feet, nearly spilling Applejack's tea.

"Woah nelly!" the startled earth pony shouted.

"I have to go to the library," Twilight declared, already moving towards the door.

"What for?" Applejack asked as she rose to follow.

"Because I know how the changelings are getting the energy they need to make so many drones. And I know how to stop them."