• Published 5th Nov 2016
  • 203 Views, 0 Comments

Memory of Magic - Little Kaiser



Princess Celestia's student goes on an adventure to retrieve a unique memoir about Starswirl the Bearded.

  • ...
 0
 203

Manuscript #362

Manuscripts on my thoughts about Tolpott’s Basis Matrix and Clover’s Condition

I have humbly concluded my thoughts on the theories brought forth by Herr Schenkel Tolpott and a student of my very own, Miss Clover the Clever, about the constructs by which one creature-without any regards to his or her archetype-is able to transform and transmute the fabrics of magic. As we already know, the Academy has indeed agreed upon the existence of a magical ether that any creature type can wield, albeit not in a similar manner, and this was many fortnights ago. Ever since, not a single creature had questioned the decision. But if one’s thought goes further than mere shallow remarks, a question remains: how exactly does one grab hold of the invisible? How would an earthen pony or a dragon do as such?

Herr Tolpott postulates that this ether has a structure: one that I myself am not able to grasp with an image. His mind-image of it was of a never-ending, minutely-thin and constant facet that meet at a square’s point, like a never-ending scroll of never-ending width, made to stand on its side and placed on another similar scroll. He called it the basis matrix. What an odd word. It fascinates me, however, as I have never imagined it to be as such. Knowing magic is one thing, but to give it a shape is another. Nevertheless, such a structure is nothing more than a notion. I have yet to explore it in more depth.

This basis matrix can be wielded because of the existence of the pine-body: a vestibular organ in our brains. This part worries me. The Academy has had studies sent to it about this particular organ, and none has been accepted. It is just impossible to prove that the pine-body has a function. I suspect Herr Tolpott may have made a blind guess and this will not enlighten the Academy. I must make my point: I respect Herr Tolpott. Not many griffons cared to converse with us ponykinds, let alone on topics further than petty talks. He has a respect for magic and regards all of us as brothers and sisters in study. But I think he was careless in this venture. I do pray however that the Academy’s remarks will be gentle on him. I do not wish to take any sides for now.

Miss Clever expanded the idea by saying that a certain condition is needed to activate the pine-body. Of course, each creature type may not wield it similarly. She postulates that each creature type has different manners of control over the pine-body. And these manners are what she refers to as conditions. For example, I may control the pine-body in some parts because I am a unicorn. The condition thus arises from, perhaps, somewhere in me.

I bolded that perhaps because this axiom does not fall under the topic of magic. It is a subfocus of magical biology: one that I rather not confound with what is at hoof. It is based too much on assumptions that may never see the light of truth. I have met creatures from East and West who confide to me their studies, and they have yet to show a sign of confidence. They argue too much, as if they were philosophers and thinkers rather than magicians. I am disappointed to see her indulge in this nonsensical field more than she did with magic, but I will not stop her. It is best to let her be what she sees is best for her own self. She has her own path to glory set before her.

But I truly fear for her. She has a vision too grand for her own self. I fear that she may be led astray from discipline into greed and that greed may corrupt her. She spends her time with ponies of dark ancestries, and to me it spells trouble. In the eyes of others, she is a noble and gentle pony. But I see through the veils, and I do not like the darkness that I can see. I hope I can do things justice before I am one with the stars. And I feel that it is near.

I have never expected to have this on script, but let this be a reminder for me to redeem a dear student. One that I have come to regard as my very own flesh and blood.