• ...
 3
 537

Old stones turned

The creature slunk its way out of Tartarus, the soft, gentle earth beneath his feet was alien to him. The guards attempted to subdue the beast but their efforts were for naught. They fell to the ground, engulfed in flame, writhing in agony before the end. He knew what had happened in the events he was away. He saw everything that went on in Equestria, even though he had been locked away in the lowest levels of Tartarus for more than three thousand years. He slunk through the forrest and headed for Canterlot. The only one who he saw fit to aid him in this world of peace, the Draconquue, Discord. Being a creature of chaos, he could easily turn the world upside down while the creature worked on freeing his fellow brethren who were still trapped in hell. Freeing Discord was how it would happen. He would get his revenge on Equestria, on the Elements of Harmony;
And the Princesses.

o*O*o

It was a beautiful winter morning. A month had passed since Fluttershy was out of the hospital and everypony was doing the usual routine like nothing had ever happened. "Hey Squeak!" Woodwind yelled toward the house, "Come help your mother and I with the pets." Squeak got up from the couch with a long sigh. She had been up late all week practicing her ABC's and numbers since she was starting school after the winter break. Her mom and dad had her home schooled for the first half of the year since they couldn't afford the costs. But Woodwind had gotten a second job to help put his daughter in school, and she wasn't going to let him down.
"But dad! I'm still practicing my Alphabet!" She protested as she stood in the doorway. He sighed; at least she was taking her studies seriously.
"Fluttershy, why don't you head back inside and help Squeak study. I'll finish up out here." He said, taking her bag of feed off her back.
"Oh, sweetie, I can't let you do all this alone. You're doing so much already." She said, trying to take the bag back. He quickly pecked her on the lips when she got close enough.
"My treat. You still haven't been feeling well since we got back. I can handle this. But right now, our daughter needs help with her studies." He stated, pointing to the house at the tiny pink and green poof standing in the doorway.
"Ok, if you insist." She said floating to the house.

Woodwind had been exhausted for the past month, working mornings at the post office, and nights as a doorman at a hotel in Manehatten. He was stretched thin, but it was for his family. Fluttershy couldn't work, she was still feeling pretty cruddy; occasional vomiting and complaining about bad cramps. And he couldn't ask for help from his friends, that wasn't the kind of pony he was. He flew into the gardens and began to feed the animals, one by one.

"Hello? Anypony home?" Twilight called out and began knocking on the cottage door. Fluttershy quickly answered it.
"Hello Twilight, come on in." She said stepping aside, making way for the purple unicorn.
The living room was a mess. The twins played on the quilt in the corner, their toys strewn across the floor, and Squeak was laying on the couch, drawing a picture. Twilight's initial reaction was to tidy up the mess of the children, but she didn't want to impose. She resumed what she was to come here for and pulled something out of her bag. "Alright i got what you asked me to bring. But are you sure you don't want to tell Woodwind?" She asked Fluttershy. Fluttershy frowned and quickly grabbed the thing in her mouth. She quickly began to fly up the stairs. "I couldn't put this burden on him. Not now." She said disappearing into the bathroom.
Twilight went into the kitchen and grabbed herself some coffee. A tired Woodwind entered the kitchen with empty bags on his back. The heavy bags under his eyes were a good indication he hadn't gotten any sleep in a long time.
"Oh hello Twilight." He said just noticing her. "What brings you by."
Twilight began to search for an answer to help keep Fluttershy's secret safe. "Oh, you know, just catching up with Fluttershy, thats all." She said taking another swig of coffee.
The twins began to cry in the next room. "Whelp, thats my cue." He said grabbing fresh diapers from the cabinet.
Twilight felt bad for Woodwind. He was doing everything while Fluttershy was getting better. Working night and day, and spending the time he did have at home doing chores and taking care of the children. How could one pony do all this and still function?
"Twilight, come up stairs." Fluttershy yelled down to her.
Good it was ready. She chugged the last of her coffee and trotted up the stairs, taking one last looked at the bewildered Woodwind.
She entered the bedroom, Fluttershy was sitting on the bed, her head hung low.
"Well?" Twilight asked her when Fluttershy didn't give her an answer quick enough.
Fluttershy nodded her head slowly. Twilights head dropped.
"You have to tell him." She started the lecture. "He has every rite to know."
Fluttershy looked up with tears in her eyes. "But he's doing so much for us already. I can't put another burden on him. I just can't."
Twilight looked at the floor. "I'm sorry. It's not my place to make you do anything. But sooner or later he'll find out."
Fluttershy gulped. "I don't know what to do." She said hugging her friend, letting the tears flow freely.
They heard hoofsteps coming up the stairs. Fluttershy quickly wiped the tears from her eyes and threw the plastic thing in her hoof out the window.
"Hey, is everything ok up here?" He asked poking his head through the door. Fluttershy smiled at him
"Everything's fine, Woodwind."
"Ok, well I have to go to the store. We're out of diapers. I'll be back in a little while." He said leaving.
Fluttershy took another deep breath and watched out the window as he walked down the road.
Twilight came over to her. "I'll be here for you if you need anything." She said, putting a hoof on her shoulder.
Fluttershy kept watching the road as Woodwind disappeared into town.