• Published 23rd Oct 2016
  • 1,378 Views, 62 Comments

Even a Diamond can break - Bronycommander



Berlin 1945. Germany is close to defeat. A soldier who is glad when the war is over and lost all hope, finds a scared rich filly in a bombed building.

  • ...
4
 62
 1,378

Chapter 6 Karlshorst Command Post

Chapter 6: Karlshorst Command Post

The truck reached the Command Post. It was guarded by soldiers normal and Elites and an IS-2.
The prisoners were brought to a Russian officer. “Comrade Commissar, we have prisoners. What should we do with them?” The officer looked at the children.

They were trembling and had a pleading look on their faces. “Put them all into the cells! We will deal with them later!”

“Yes, comrade. Move it.”

A Russian shoved Josef into the cell. In the cell was another German soldier.

Elsa hummed a lullaby to calm the kids down. Josef hugged Tiara tightly and rocked her. She cried her heart out like Erwin and Dora. Their eyes were already red.

The cell opened and a soldier dragged the German out.

Josef could see and hear everything.

“Do not kill me!” The soldier begged as two Soldiers and the officer interrogated him.
“He wants mercy!”
“You do not deserve mercy!” The second soldier slapped him.
“What mercy did you show to our people?!” The officer kicked him.

The German cried in pain. “Please!”
The officer aimed his pistol at him. “Time to die!"
“Wait... Wait! He may help us!” the first soldier pushed the pistol away.
“HELP US?! He can DIE for us!" The officer shot the horrified German in the head. His helmet flew off and blood splattered on the ground, the officer showed no emotion but hate. “Mudak!!” He exclaimed in anger. “No German deserves mercy!”
The children looked in shock at the body, not able to process it. Tiara trembled hard, close to breakdown. The first soldier looked horrified at the body. Elsa hugged her children tightly, also horrified, worried about their safety. Josef gasped, trying to process what just happened.

"This is not war! This is murder!!” the private that told his squad leader that they were civilians was horrified by this.
The officer just said, “THIS is how you end a war, Chernov!”

Josef couldn’t believe what he just saw. The Reds were merciless. If not a miracle would happen, this would be the end.
“I regret everything! I regret everything I ever done!” Traumatized, Tiara began slowly to lose her nerves.
“Shh, everything is gonna be fine.” Josef patted her.

The young private came and gave them something to eat. “Here. I don’t want you to starve.” He gave the kids some candy.

“Thanks.”
The private looked at the crying and sobbing filly, then at Josef.

“Hey, you’re not such a bad guy after all. I… I guess not all Wehrmacht soldiers are dogs as the propaganda told me.”

"You mean it?”

“Yeah. You know, before the war started and the third Reich was created I used to live in Germany. I even had a wife and a kid…”

"You must be pretty lonely.”

“Yeah, I am pretty lonely… REALLY lonely.”

“What’s your kid’s name?”

"Chernov.”

“Chernov… nice ring to it.”

“Really? You like it? …Well, if you say so, I’ll believe you. Actually, my name is Chernov, too. You already know it from earlier.” He took out a family picture. “All the first-borns sons in my family are called Chernov. My Dad’s a Chernov, and my son’s son will probably be a Chernov too.”

“A whole clan of Chernovs.”

“Why do we have a Second World War anyway…” He did a long pause. “… our countries used to be such good friends and helped each other.”

“Yeah, I hear you.”

Chernov sighed. “I just want to see my family again…”

“Must be rough.”

“Yeah…not as rough as you have it though.” He took something out of his pocked to give it Josef. “Here.” It was the picture of Jenny and the picture Tiara had drawn. “I filched them from your stuff when the Commissar wasn’t looking. It’s the least I can do…”

“You’re a pacifist by nature. Just like me.”

“You are? Guess we aren’t so different from each other.”

“My daughter is everything I have left. But tell me, why did you give me this?”

Chernov was about to reply as two soldiers had a conversation that answered Josef’s question.

“Do you think we can keep anything we find?”

“No, they’ll be requisitioned by command.”

“Damn. You wouldn’t tell them if I just put a little something in my pocket, would you?”

“No, but if you do it just means you’ll end up hanging it yourself. They always seem to know...”

“You see, I didn’t want that the Commissar would destroy these two pictures.”

“Thank you. After my wife died in Prenlau, this picture is anything I have left.”

“Prenlau? I was there when we attacked. The Commissar told us, ‘kill them all, the women, the children, the old, they deserve no mercy.’ Look at us. These men are cold-blooded now. We have lost all of our humanity at Stalingrad along with our innocence. They want revenge for what the SS did in Russia. But in the end, it doesn’t matter as we are now doing the same, making us no better than they are.”

“I understand your feelings.”

The Commissar shouted, “Bring me the next prisoner!”

“You.” He pointed at the foal.
“Me?”
“Yes you. And with you fraulein, I will have some fun.” Elsa knew exactly what he was meaning.

“No, please mercy!” Diamond Tiara was snatched out of Josef’s arms.

“I beg you, spare the children!” Elsa pleaded.

“They’re as equally guilty as your soldiers. What a waste of time. I should kill you right now.”

“OK THAT’S IT!” Chernov couldn’t bear this any longer. “I will not tolerate that you will kill a child!” He stood in front of the filly protectively.

“Are you questioning your commanding officer?! Now let me do this.”

“No more. I can’t take any more of this.”

"Get out of my way, private!”

“Not this time, comrade. No move.” He aimed his rifle at the officer.

“Then die, traitor!”

There was an explosion. “The sniper, its him!”

“Get him! I will deal with her later!” the officer ordered.

All soldiers except Chernov moved out to kill the sniper.

Even outnumbered, the sniper gained the upper hand. “Kill him!” the Commissar shouted swapping his pistol for a PPSch-41.
“Kill him or I will you myself!” he threatened his men.
By the sounds it was clear that more Russians were killed. “Shoot him! What are you doing? You are all useless!”
The Elite soldiers tried to stop him but were also killed, one by one. “He is only one man!” The Commissar couldn’t believe what he saw.
“I don’t think so!” As he was the only one left, he used the child as shield. But he forgot Chernov. Chernov hit him very hard from behind with the butt his rifle.

Then he freed the prisoners. “Thank you. I thought we were done for.” Elsa’s children were crying by the sounds of battle.

Josef took Tiara on his arm and patted her back. “Shh, no more tears.” Karl searched the body of the officer. He found something.

“Why are you here?”

"Remember the word Tabun, Josef?”

“Yes why?”

Karl looked at the paper. “Tabun is a nerve agent. Powerful and lethal."

“How lethal?” Tiara's ears stood again.

“Breathe it, touch it, even look at it and your body shut down in all sorts of gruesome ways.” She didn’t want to image how painful this death would be.

“It comes worse. Wolff is a chemical weapon specialist. His plan is to fill with the Russians the last of Germany’s V2 rockets with the stuff. Their target is… London. The Reds would make it like Germany’s final revenge. I have to stop that launch.”

“Wait! You can’t go out there! The Commissar has made a call for help. A Sniper Team is on his way here.” Chernov warned him.

“Don’t worry. I will clear the way for you with my Gewehr 43. ZF 4 telescopic sight, four times magnification. A nice toy and enough to deal with them.”

“Good, we wait here.” Elsa had calmed her children down.

“There’s a truck outside. We can use it to escape.”

“Good idea, Chernov. But what will you do?”

“I’ll think of something.”

Karl took two snipers out that entered the Command Post. Then, he walked outside to take out the rest of the Sniper Team. After this was done, he gave all clear and leaved.

“Where are we heading, Daddy?” Tiara climbed on the passenger seat.

“Kreuzberg. It is nearby and still under German control. Damn Reds. They want Germany for themselves. But I never thought that they would do something terrible like this.” He said as he started the engine and left the Command Post.

Author's Note:

They made it out alive thanks to Karl. This Chernov is based on the Russian with the same name in Call of Duty World at War. His conversation with Josef is based on this.

The two soldiers talking keeping the things they find, was heard in the beginning of the flak tower level.