• Published 15th Aug 2017
  • 256 Views, 6 Comments

The Tale of Horologium - H0rologium



Step into the shoes of a young filly named Silver Quill as she's visiting Canterlot, and happens upon a worn, weathered tome. Within this tome she learns of the great danger that has been lurking within Equestria. For this, is the tale of Horologium.

  • ...
 6
 256

Introduction

It was Thursday. Thursdays were a very interesting time of the week. They were those days where you wished it was Friday, so you wouldn’t have to bear another day of school or work before the weekends. Thursdays were also the days when all of the little foals got out of school early and headed over to the library.

Princess Twilight Sparkle herself would read a story to the awe-struck foals, who just enjoyed watching the princess as she went around the library, looking for a story to read. This was the first Thursday of the month, however, which meant that the foals would pick a story for the princess to read.

By the time Twilight opened the doors to the library, there were about twenty eager foals, excitement barely contained, waiting for this moment. They all ran into the main room, vying to be the first, lucky foal who would have their story read by the princess. However, one particular filly, Silver Quill, wasn’t in such a hurry. Silver Quill had graduated school a few days ago, and had heard most of the stories in the library, since she also came to read books on the weekend, so this wasn’t as exciting as it was for most of the others. I do have a story to choose, though, Silver Quill thought, as she remembered what had happened a few days ago.

Silver Quill had just returned from a vacation with her parents to the great city of Canterlot. Her parents had gone to talk to relatives, but they had allowed Silver Quill to go to the Canterlot Library. Upon entering, she had noticed an overflowing bin of books, the sign on the sign said “2 Books for 1 bit”.

She had 5 bits in her satchel, but four of those were needed to get a stagecoach back home. She decided that the extra bit could be used for a couple of books. Her first book she chose was one of the Daring Do series, a particular favorite of Quill’s. But, as she searched the others, they weren’t in any good condition. Mostly just poor spines. But one book did catch her attention.

It lay at the bottom of the bin, and also had a bad spine. But the cover! The cover was a very ornate pattern of swirls and petals. The title had been worn through, but that just added to Silver Quill’s curiosity.

She lifted the book from the bin, and noticed that the book seemed to have some sort of enchantment set on it. This one was definitely a keeper. Forgetting the Daring Do book, Silver Quill set the strange book on the front desk, and asked the librarian to buy the book. The mare looked at the book for a second, then said, “5 bits for the book.” As if her hooves were being controlled by a puppeteer, Silver Quill lifted five bits to the counter. The librarian took the bits, and wished Silver Quill a good day. Silver Quill put the book in her satchel, and didn’t bother to read it. This would make a great addition to Twilight’s library. Silver Quill wasn’t worried that she got in trouble when she got home late from walking, she could tell the book was going to be worth it.

Trotting up to Princess Twilight, Silver Quill pulled the tome out of her satchel.
“Here Princess, I found this book while at Canterlot. It didn’t look like anything you had here at the library, so I brought it back here.”

Twilight looked at the book, and an expression too quick to read flashed across her face. She smiled and said,
“Thank you, Silver Quill, this is going to be something new for today.” Twilight called all of the other foals back, and once they were seated, opened the book. Twilight cleared her throat, and began;

“The Truth behind the Truth, a story about me, Horologium.” Twilight stumbled a bit over the name, but read on, all of the foals completely captivated. However Silver Quill was the only foal who felt a sense of foreboding.