• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 629 Views, 3 Comments

CSR Brush Pony - shysage



For centuries, it has just been our three Pony races, enjoying Equestria together. Imagine my amazement when Fluttershy brought a new species of Pony into my Library!

  • ...
 3
 629

Chapter 2, Surrounded

Hi, I'm Fluttershy. I guess this chapter is mine. It is really my sister's, but she can't. And we aren't even supposed to talk about that either. Well, it's just hard. And, I don't know how good I am at this...

Anyway, My sister Summer and her Stallion Shysage were out flying one morning. They live in a... next to some big trees. Well, it is to the West of Ponyville, maybe a good hour's walk away. I try to visit them when I can.

But they were doing their morning flying. They fly together every morning, in the summer anyway. I really miss that. They were flying further to the West, I think, from their big trees. Summer said they heard a bunch of loud growling long before they saw anything. It didn't take them long to get there. Maybe six or seven Cougars had surrounded what looked like a family, 3 ponies, maybe. Well, it sounded like all three of the ponies were crying. And the Cougars were intent on making them lunch, and very soon. My sister observed all this from the air. Shysage landed next to the 3 different ponies right away, and the Cougars stopped briefly. My sister next... well I can't tell you how. But she dropped a big rock on the head of every one of those Cougars, killing each of them instantly. The Cougars were quickly all dead. Then Summer landed next to Shysage, next to the 3 new ponies.

Well, it was a family of ponies maybe; a mare, a stallion, and a foal, I guess. For the longest time, Summer and Shysage just hugged them, and cried with them. They didn't move, maybe they couldn't move. They were probably scared to death. Of course, almost getting eaten by Cougars, this was very traumatic, I'm sure. My Sis is a lot like me, we just can't ignore things, feelings like that.

After maybe an hour of crying, the stallion was quiet, and the mare was working at comforting the foal, who only slowly calmed down. The foal was the last to stop crying. It was at that point that my sister asked quietly "Can we help you?" I don't know, Summer and Shysage, they try to help everypony.

The mare looked down, shook her head slowly left and right with her eyes closed. Summer correctly realized, or maybe she just sensed this. The mare wasn't saying "No", she just didn't understand what Summer had asked. It was only then that Summer realized... This family, these three, they were very different from the ponies that live in Equestria. The mare and stallion were roughly our size, and had bodies, legs like ours, but their coats, their tails, their ears... They were very different.

My sister is so much like me. Summer walked over to the mare, put her head right next to the mare's head, and I think they just felt together briefly. Both smiled, then Summer pulled her head away, and motioned with her head for the mare to follow she and Shysage. The mare did, and of course, the whole family came. I guess too, they realized that Summer had somehow killed the Cougars that wanted to eat them. I think they felt safer around Summer and Shysage. Well, I know I do.

And this is hard. Summer knew that Princess Twilight should be the next destination for these three newcomers, but something, I don't know. Summer and Shysage led them to my Cottage instead. I didn't mind. At least I got to see my Sis...

Summer and I hugged and cried together for a few minutes right away. Like I said, it is just hard, but I can't say... Then Summer explained to me what she knew about the three, and how she and Shysage found and rescued them earlier. She also mentioned that she felt the mare was pretty sensitive, and that would probably prove helpful. And these three didn't understand what we were saying, either. Summer also felt that Princess Twilight needed to know about this; Princess Twilight needed to be their next destination. Summer said quietly she just didn't think she should... Well, that part was just hard. We hugged and cried for a few more minutes, then Summer and Shysage left... went away... back...

Well, right away (after I stopped crying), I did what Summer had done. I put my head down next to the mare's head. We felt inside each other briefly, then we both smiled, and pulled our heads away. I looked at her and said quietly "friend." And my sister was right, the mare seemed very sensitive. I really like sensitive creatures like that. Well, there is Angel, but he can be pretty good when he wants to be. And these new ponies were clearly like us, thinking, communicating... These three weren't just animals.

I motioned for the mare to follow me again, and we headed off to Princess Twilight's Castle. I actually led them on a path that would avoid us going directly through Ponyville. I was pretty sure this would be best for these three. Well, I liked that too, the quiet, the meadow. They stopped once for a little while and ate. They ignored the oats and other grass all over the place, and found broad-leaf plants, bushes and stuff we consider weeds, and enjoyed the leaves. All three ate, and I didn't feel like I should stop them; we really didn't need to be in a hurry. And, I noticed their coats, the colors, they seemed to blend right in with the shadows around the bushes. Anyway, I let them take their time, and eat what they wanted. And I led them to a small pond, and they drank some water, too. Then we resumed our trip to the Castle.

We approached Princess Twilight's Castle from behind, and walked around to the front, then I led them up the steps. Spike was asleep on one of the steps, and they didn't know what to do. I smiled at them, and motioned for them to follow me again, and they did. Spike just snored loudly the whole time.

I led these three down the hall, into the Library, and over to the table where Princess Twilight was reading. I don't like bothering her when she is reading, so I just stood there until she came to the end of a paragraph. Maybe it was the end of a chapter. She finally looked up at me and said "Oh hi Fluttershy, what brings you--" Then she saw the three new, very different ponies I had brought with me. Her eyes got very big in wonder, and she quickly smiled.

Princess Twilight said right away "Welcome to Equestria!" Then I explained that they probably didn't understand what she just said. "Oh..." she said quietly. But I did explain to her everything my Sis had explained to me, how she and Shysage found and rescued them and everything. And I also mentioned the sensitivity part. I explained how my Sis had put her head next to the mare's head, and Princess Twilight did the same thing right away, but only briefly. The mare smiled of course, but Princess Twilight said what I guessed. "I'm not as good at that as you are, Fluttershy." I did that to the mare again. We felt briefly, smiled, then I pulled my head away. I wanted these new ponies to know we were friends. I said that word again, quietly.

And, I realized the second time I did that... It would probably not be a good idea for me to leave these three just yet. I explained this to Princess Twilight, and she agreed. So I walked over, and just stood next to the mare. Her foal was next to her, and her Stallion was on the other side of the foal. Well, I don't know why, but I just felt... I bowed on my front legs to Princess Twilight, even though I usually don't need to. Our three visitors immediately did the same thing. Well, the mare and stallion did. And, this is the first thing we had heard them say. The stallion said something quietly to the foal, and it was only then that the foal bowed too.

Princess Twilight motioned us all up right away, and our three new friends got up when I did. Princess called out "Spike..." and that made me smile. I knew Spike was asleep in the warmth of the Sun on the steps of the Castle. Princess called him again. And it was then that I realized our three new friends might still be afraid of Spike. When Spike dragged himself in, half asleep, I was still standing to the side of the mare. I put my head next to her, felt her, then said quietly "Friend." Well, I wanted them to know Spike wouldn't hurt them, and also to teach them that word. The mare understood, and said the word "Friend" a few times as I said it when she did. She practiced until she got it right. Then she taught that word to her Stallion, then her foal. Well, her foal was so cute. And the mare smiled and rubbed her foal's nose with hers when the foal said it right.

Princess Twilight watched this whole thing with a smile.

"Spike, take a message" Princess Twilight started.

"Dear Princess Celestia,

"Summer and Shysage rescued..."

Princess Twilight was not satisfied with that, and I fought back tears.

"No, start over, Spike, sorry." Being the practical dragon he is, Spike just lined those first words out, and started again, further down on the paper. Princess Celestia would surely see everything. That made me smile. I am not sure why.

Princess Twilight started again, and Spike was quickly writing.

"Dear Princess Celestia,

"Fluttershy has brought three new, very different pony friends into my Library. They..." Princess Twilight stopped right there and thought.

"Fluttershy, what should we say?" Princess looked at me when she asked this.

I just told her what I knew. They look basically like ponies, but are quite different from us. They speak a different language, too. And their foal is so cute. I thought a minute, then added "Maybe you should mention we rescued them from 6 or 7 Cougars."

I was still standing right next to the mare, and she shivered with fear at the mention of that last word. I felt that. Well, I couldn't blame her. But she must have already understood that word too.

Princess Twilight continued her letter to Princess Celestia.

"They are basically the same size and form as us ponies, but look quite different. They also speak a different language, although we seem to be able to teach them some of our words, and they may already know some as well. From what I can briefly sense, they have no magical ability at all, even though one of them has some form of horn. But Fluttershy has been able to use her gifts, and has had some success sensing with them."

Princess Twilight sighed, and said "Fluttershy, I know that sounds awkward, but I don't know what else to say."

"Princess, that sounds fine" I said quietly. Princess Twilight had already made some good observations. Still, Princess concluded the letter.

"It seems these three were rescued from 6 or 7 Cougars earlier today, and Fluttershy brought them here to the Castle, to me.

"If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I will continue to try to develop a relationship with them, and language studies may be the best starting point.

"Your faithful student,

"Princess Twilight"

Spike sent the letter off in a small fireball, and that didn't seem to bother our new friends.

Well, I put my head down next to the mare again, and thought this. I would stay here, with her, with them, as long as they wanted me here. I felt that was the least I could do.

This new, different mare smiled.

And recording this chapter was pretty fun after all. Fiona is a Unicorn, and she did all the writing for me. I can fly some, but I can't write... Oh, and my Sis asked that I call this story the unofficial volume 13 of the Chronicles of Summer Rain. Maybe they will leave that in.