• Published 17th Oct 2016
  • 328 Views, 1 Comments

Shadow Through the Mirror - King-Mac-13



Grimoire Maleficarum was sent through the mirror to the human world. His mission: learn about friendship in a new setting. He meets up with Sunset and the others. Of course, Grimoire is not exactly straightforward with anything.

  • ...
 1
 328

Obligatory Star Wars Reference

Author's Note:

You'll know it when you see it. Anyway, enjoy the chapter! Things are winding up for the endgame.

The creature followed their tracks through the brush. He could feel the magic in the forest. He was getting closer. It was only a matter of time before he reached those that kept him from his power… nay, his destiny. He approached a small clearing and found something he hadn’t expected. The boy.

Grimoire was leaning against a tree as the creature approached. “Hey, big guy. Nice to see you again.”

The creature laughed, his deep bass of a voice had raised to a low baritone. “So, the young man stays behind to delay my advance to the magic.”

“Something like that…”

“Then I suppose I have to get passed you to reach them.”

“That’s the idea.”

“This actually works in my favor.”

“Oh?”

“I’ve been learning more about my power. My magic disrupting skill only works on Light magic. Your Dark magic caught me by surprise last time, but not again.”

“You sure? I’m told I’m full of surprises.”

“Soon, all you’ll be full of is broken bones and holes.”

“Nice line. Bet I could do better.”

The creature swung a fist and obliterated the tree trunk where Grimoire was standing. The insufferable Dark Mage had dodged the attack at the last second.

“You’re supposed to hug the tree. Not punch it.”

“You’re getting on my nerves, you insufferable brat!”

As Grimoire dodged another attack, he responded, “59.”

“What? That hell are you going on about?” As the creature tried to fight, Grimoire just kept dodging each swing or magic beam.

“35.”

“Take this seriously!”

“130!”

“I will kill you!” Another miss.

“6.”

“Alright, what the hell! Explain yourself!”

“297. Well, no matter where I go, I’m met with certain phrases. I started to keep a mental list of specific phrases or fun.”

“That’s absolutely ridiculous.”

“92.”

“Stop that!” The creature unleashed a massive burst of magic, tripling the radius of the clearing.

Grimoire stood within a magic dome, unharmed. “500! Congratulations! We have a winner!”

“Do you think this is some game?!”

“First: 36. Second: hardly! If this were a game, I’d be having fun.”

The creature’s anger was reaching a boiling point. “Enough! I’ve had it with your insufferable quips and annoying demeanor!”

“Oh wow! It took this long? I’m off my game.”

The creature was about to let his anger loose when he caught himself. The creature took a deep breath, “No…”

“Hmm?”

“No. I will not let my anger consume me. That’s your goal. If I fight you in anger, I might as well be fighting you blind.”

“Careful. It’s learning.”

The creature growled, “Your little distraction won’t stop… me…” The creature arrived at a realization. “This… was…”

“IT’S A TRAP!”

The creature began to shake with rage, “You…!”

“Me!”

“This… this was a distraction! You left that trail on purpose to bring me here!”

“Yep. The others are long gone.”

The creature finally let its anger out. The creature’s eyes began to glow a deep, blood red as he charged forward. He broke Grimoire’s barrier and held him up by that smug Mage’s neck.

“What’s wrong? Can’t take a joke?”

“I’ve had enough of you and your jokes! Now, you’ll tell me where those brats ran off to!”

“You could try asking nicely.”

“Or, I could drag it out of your mind.” The red glow spread to Grimoire as the creature entered the Mage’s mind.

Grimoire smiled as the creature entered his thoughts.

\/

The creature found itself in a field. It felt familiar… but why? The creature moved across the empty space. Looking around as he walked, the creature’s frustration was growing. This wasn’t the mindscape of the Mage. This was something else…

The creature’s thoughts were cut off by a loud roar. A familiar roar. A large beast landed before the creature. A large, grey dragon with horns that curved around his jaw, wearing battle armor, and standing twice the creature’s height. The dragon spoke with a powerful voice, “You are the best they could send?”

The creature backed away. He knew this dragon, but the name escaped him.

“Are you afraid, little one? I don’t blame you. There are few who would stand up to me, the mighty Torch.”

Torch? Wait! I know that name!

Torch let out a breath of fire that surrounded the creature, cutting off his escape, “Poor little weakling. You are not a warrior. You think you can fight me? Then, come on!”

The creature ran from any direct attacks from the dragon. Something told him he had to evade the dragon. This feeling in his gut… could this be… fear? But why was he afraid?

“Enough running, coward! Fight me! Hit me, you pansy!”

The creature’s anger had overridden his fear. He stood and let loose a magic blast, only to have nothing happen. He tried to use another magic attack to no avail. His strength was gone. His magic was gone. He was powerless.

“That’s just sad.” Torch smacked the creature to the ground. “You have to realize something. I am bigger than you, more powerful than you. As a result, I will always beat you. Perhaps, if you had any real power, you might actually be a challenge. Maybe, they’ll send more if I let you go back and ask for help. But I have a reputation. I’m sure you understand.” Torch inhaled before letting out a torrent of flames, burning the creature to a crisp.

\/

The creature flinched and dropped Grimoire as the nightmare broke the creature’s concentration. “What the… what the hell?”

Grimoire stood up and smiled. “What’s wrong? You scared?”

“I fear nothing.”

“I know a dragon that would beg to differ.”

“I will end you…”

Grimoire’s smile spread to a grin, “You can try. But I wonder if you really want to.”

“What?”

“Thanks to your little experience in my spell, I know what you are. I know where you get your power, why you’re so obsessed with it, and why you wear that mask.”

The creature froze. He had to know why. So many questions… “What… do you want?”

“Pardon?”

“What do I have to give you to get that information?”

Grimoire started to laugh.

“What’s so funny?!”

“Oh! You’re serious? Huh…” Grimoire’s laughter just got louder, more boisterous. “This is rich! You must be desperate to find out just what you were.”

“Were?”

“Oops. I’ve said too much. Call it a free sample. I will say this, though… Give up on finding out. You don’t want the answer.”

“I’m fairly certain I want the answer.”

“X equals 2 over pi.”

“I’m not joking.”

“I know. I, however, am.”

The creature growled. I could just torture him for the information. But if I’m not careful, I might kill him before he tells me what I want to know…

“What’s wrong? What happened to that fire?”

The creature shook as his rage began to build again. His mask continued to crack and reveal more of his face, piece by piece. His face continued to burn. Why did it burn? Why did he react to the fire? But, the creature held himself back, for now…

Grimoire continued to chuckle to himself. “You mad?”

“Volatile…”

“That’s good. That means I’m back in the game.”

“I should kill you right now.”

“Should… should not… The real question is can you kill me?”

“You are hardly immortal.”

“No, I’m not. Doesn’t really matter though. I’ve done my part.”

“What?”

“You have no idea how many times I’ve heard that… Anyway, we’ve been at this for a while now and I think it’s best to take a break for now. Besides, it’s not my place to end this fight. I’m just the reconnaissance.” Grimoire’s eyes began to glow a feint red as he unleashed his Dark power. “The honor of ending you goes to another. Until next time…” Grimoire vanished into the shadows.

\/

The main seven had escaped to the school thanks to Grimoire’s distraction and a lift from the Sentry siblings. Now alone in the practice room, they waited for Grimoire’s return.

“Now what?” Rainbow sat on the piano.

“We wait.” Sunset kept an eye out for any movement. If that thing showed up again, she wanted to be ready for it.

“Come on! We’ve been getting even more awesome with our powers. We can fight that thing.”

“You could, but it’s a bad idea.” Grimoire rose from a shadow in the middle of the room. “That thing hasn’t exactly been slouching. It’s gotten stronger.”

“Son of a… Then what are we supposed to do?”

“The seven of you can beat him, but it won’t be easy.”

“You have an idea?” Sunset folded her arms.

“If you gave Flash that paper, then yes.”

“What was so important about that paper, anyway?”

“Nothing, really. Just a part of an idea… If it works, our job gets easier. If not, nothing changes.”

“You’re not going to tell us what the idea is, are you?”

“Nope. Maybe later, but not now.”

“Is there anything you are willing to share?”

“There is one thing. I was able to get more information on the creature.”

“And?”

“He can’t die, can’t be reasoned with, and can’t be reformed.”

“How did you figure this out?”

“He tried to enter my mind…”

Sunset shuddered as she remembered the trap she fell into trying to enter his mind.

“…got himself caught in my trap, and I returned the favor.”

Rainbow jumped down from the piano, “Then how do we deal with that thing?”

Grimoire spoke with a constant grin, “In a way, we can’t. There’s nothing we can do.”

“That’s not comforting.”

“But it’s true. For now, let’s get some sleep.”

“In the school?”

“You got a better place?”

“No…”

“Think of it like a sleep over… at school. My thought process got lost there… Whatever… the Princess told me that there’s a loft in the library that should work.”

With that, the group made their way to the library for some much-needed rest.

\/

As the moon began to peak in the sky, the creature roared in anger. He had searched everywhere in the area and found no trace of magic, no trace of the mage, and no sign of where those brats could have run off to! The Mage played him for a fool! He would not make the same mistake again. The Mage will be the first to die. But the old problem appeared again. They must be found, first. Where would they have gone? Where would they hide?

“I must find them… Think! Where would they go?!”

“Have you tried the school?”

“What?! Who’s there?!”

“Wow… talking to yourself in a forest? How far gone are you?”

“That voice… the Mage!”

“Hello!”

“What is this!?!”

“One of my favorites; The Dark Whispers. I planted the spell in your mind during our exchange. It allows me to project a voice into your thoughts, mess with you a bit.”

“You mentioned the school… why?”

“Why do you think, hotshot? Though, if you want that power, you’ll have to wait until morning.”

“Fine. Tomorrow morning… I will have their power and my answers.”

"Sounds like a plan, Champ. Good luck. You'll need it.