• Published 17th Oct 2016
  • 329 Views, 1 Comments

Shadow Through the Mirror - King-Mac-13



Grimoire Maleficarum was sent through the mirror to the human world. His mission: learn about friendship in a new setting. He meets up with Sunset and the others. Of course, Grimoire is not exactly straightforward with anything.

  • ...
 1
 329

Where Are They Now?

As Grimoire started to leave the Iron Den, he looked up to the sun. The star had passed the apex and had begun its decent in the sky. He estimated that it was around 12:30 and 13:00. So, what’s the plan now? It was his stomach that reminded him he hadn’t eaten anything today and it made its complaint known.

He smiled and stretched his back. “I hear you… lunch it is.” He pulls out a small map of the area and looks for the closest place to procure food. Seems like the closest was a small establishment called the Taco Shack. “Better than nothing.” He gathered his bearings and made for the restaurant.

When he arrived, there was hardly anyone in the establishment. Odd for the lunch rush on a weekend, but not unwelcome. He made his way to the counter and found no one there. He looked around and found a ‘ring for service’ bell. He rang the bell and waited. No answer. He rang a second time, still nothing. With a third ring, the empty restaurant started to make more sense. He looked around before leaning over the counter. Sure enough, the cashier was asleep behind the counter. She was a young girl with purple and aqua-green hair in a set of twin tails. Grimoire could have tried to lightly wake her. He could have walked away and tried somewhere else. But that would be boring. He took out a set of headphones from his equipment and gently placed them over her ears. A good employee doesn’t fall asleep on the job. He blasted a powerful opera piece, forcing her to jump up, awake and alert.

When she came to her senses, she spotted him and gave an aggravated grown. “What do you want?”

“First, my headphones back. Second, a taken order.”

She rolled her eyes and gave him back the headphones. “Can I take your order?” It was clear that the fact that she had to say those words pissed her off.

Grimoire had a smug grin. “Can you?”

The cashier was visibly ready to kill him. “May I take… your order?”

“You know… with an attitude like that, I’m not sure if I want you to…”

“You can leave if you want!”

“Aria!” Another figure walked out from the back. This one was a young woman with a dirty blonde, almost orange puffy… pony tail… what would you call that? It was tied back, but not really. It was a like a weird fluffy cloud-looking amalgamation of odd. Either way, it was a lot of hair. She also wore the managers’ version of the Taco Shack uniform. “Stop harassing the customers.”

“Adagio…” Aria groaned again. “He started it.”

Grimoire raised a hand slightly, “It’s true. I did start it.”

Adagio pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration. “Aria, head to the back and take inventory.” As Aria left, Adagio took her place at the register. “How can I help you?”

Grimoire smiled. “Finally, some decent service. A number 3, if you wouldn’t mind. To go.”

“Of course.” Adagio punched in the numbers. “That’ll be $6.85.”

After paying for the meal, Grimoire stopped a moment. “Have we met before?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Are you sure? I swear I know you from somewhere…”

“Sorry. But I don’t think so.”

“Adagio… Aria… wait…” He leans to the side and catches sight of Sonata. “Sonata?” He gasped at the realization and started to chuckle. “The Dazzlings… working at a Taco Shack…”

Adagio kept her smile unchanged, but her aura made it clear that she was mad. “Sir, I’m certain… I don’t know what you’re talking about. Understand?”

Then Sonata arrived with the food. “Oh? Come on Adagio. How do you forget that? We tried to use our magic to take over the school. Then we lost to the Rain-booms, I think that’s what they were called. Then we lost our powers and we have to work here because of that.”

Adagio replied through clenched teeth. “Thank you, Sonata… I don’t know how I could possibly forget that.”

“Glad to help.” With that, she walked back to her work.

Grimoire’s smile was impossible to hide (and frankly, he didn’t want to hide it). “I’m sorry. I don’t mean no disrespect. It’s just… so funny…”

Adagio dropped her smile and folded her arms. “Yes. Yes. Very funny. Clearly I can’t contain my laughter.”

“Oh, come on, Dagi. It’s not that bad.”

“Don’t call me that. You have your food. I’ll kindly ask you to go before I charge you with loitering.”

Grimoire smiled and rolled his eyes. “Alright. But first…” He snapped his fingers and a ball of blue fire appeared in his hand. He closed his hand around the flame and produced a card with the flick of his wrist. “My card. If you ever want to do something about the lack of singing voice, give me a call. The offer extends to all three of you if you want. Word of warning though, I’m only in town for a few more days. My offer expires when I leave. Think it over.” He picked up the food and started to move toward the door. He suddenly stopped and looked around.

“You forget something?”

“Maybe…” He places the food down on a nearby table and started to check his pockets and messenger bag. After a moment, he started to look around the restaurant. “Wait.” He kneeled and picked up a piece of paper from the ground. “Got it. Until next time, Dagi.” He raised an arm and caught a packet of hot sauce that had been thrown at him. “You know, I don’t really like this stuff… But thanks, all the same.” He turned, grabbed his food, and left.

Adagio rolled her eyes. He was positively infuriating for a first impression. Then she remembered the card. It was a solid black base. The back of the card was dominated by his symbol (an open book with a bright blue fire ball hovering over the pages). On the front, she read: [Grimoire Maleficarum: Master of Light and Darkness, Socially Infuriating.] Accompanying this, as well as the number to contact him, was a small message, [Dagi, if you decide to go through with the offer, you can find me in the tent on the CHS lawn. If the tent is gone, I’ll have returned home and your chance at your old singing voice will be gone. Just thought I’d let you know.]

Adagio looked at the message confused. “When did he have enough time to write that?”

As Grimoire returned to his tent, he finished his burrito (because who orders tacos to go? Seriously…) and entered to find Sunset and her friends waiting inside. Their eyes told him everything he needed to know. “This can’t be good.”
\/

They’re still out there… But, to face them, more power is necessary. Where to find that power? Need power. Need strength. Need magic. With magic, comes strength. With strength, I’ll have power. Must find magic. They have magic. Too strong together. Must find them separated. They will be warned by the rainbow one…

The creature walked along the street. It had to find a way to separate them. Pausing in the middle of the street, it looked up toward the sun. It had to find more power.

The sound of a car horn pulled it from its thoughts. It looked over to find a man cursing him out for standing in the road. The creature turned to face the vehicle and raised an arm. Its eyes began to glow and it punched into the car’s hood, breaking the engine. The man watched in a panic. After a moment, the driver jumped out of the vehicle to run from the creature.

The creature gave a low growl and continued is walk. A new approach may be necessary… It stopped in shock. My thoughts… are coherent?

“I see you noticed.” The creature turned to find another human stepping out of the back of the vehicle it had destroyed. She stood there, refined and unfazed by the beast before her. She wore a dark green suit that accented her hair and eyes. “I’m surprise it took you this long to notice I was here.”

The creature loomed over her. “Who… are… you?”

“Trying to act scary? Sorry, but it will take more than that to get to me.” She smiled and crossed her arms. “You can call me Chrysalis.”

“Why… are you here…?”

“Right to the point, then? I like it. I saw your little display in the city. I think we can help each other. It’s clear you’re strong, but you lack something. I can offer you what you seek. All I ask is your help with a project.”

The creature looked to this woman and the danger she posed to him. Could she truly give me power? Wait… something’s not right… Something is effecting my mind and it has something to do with her.

“Is this too difficult for you? Or are you holding out for something more? Well, I should tell you that this is the best offer you’ll ever get.”

The creature growled. Something’s here… It decided to test something. Its mask began to crack around the jaw. Once it spread across the mask, the creature let out a quick roar. Something in woman’s pocket began to glow. There…

“Can I take that as a ‘yes’?”

The creature’s eyes began to glow. “Give me the power…”

Chrysalis raised an eyebrow. “Pardon?”

In a flash, the creature was behind Chrysalis, a pendant dangling from his hand.

Chrysalis looked back to him and smiled. “Oh, that? It’s just a worthless trinket I retrieved from someone who got in my way. It’s useless.”

The pendant started to absorb into the creature’s hand. The red glow in its eyes intensified. Its body seemed to shrink slightly, leveling out at 7 foot 9 inches. The antlers shrinking and a few of the points disappearing into the core. The amalgamation of leather and fur it wore seemed to separate and settle into a more contemporary style.

As Chrysalis watched the transformation, she was in shock. “What the hell?”

The creature turned to face her, “You’re help is not necessary. Though I thank you for the magic power you have brought me.” The raspy voice seemed to have disappeared. Its voice became a deep, haunting bass. It seemed more natural than its previous tone.

“Magic?”

“In reverence of this, I’ll let you live. However, I warn you, if you get in my way you will die.”

“Now, hold on! You can’t just…”

The creature was directly in front of her in the blink of an eye, its eyes glowing a bright red. “Oh… I think I can. You saw what I did to your little car. Imagine what I could do now that I am more powerful and more intelligent. And now, I give you ten seconds. So, shut up, run, and stay out of my way.”

Chrysalis’s knees shook. What the hell?! She couldn’t look weak, no matter what. “I… I won’t back down.”

The creature grabbed Chrysalis by the neck and raised her off the ground. The creature tossed her back to the car and through the windshield. “That should put things in perspective. Now, stay out of my way. I have magic to collect.”

Author's Note:

King: What does this mean for our heroines? Find out next time on Drago... wait. Wrong show. My Litt... no. I'm not affiliated with Hasbro. Uh... my non-profit fanfiction. Doesn't have the same punch. Oh well. I hope you enjoyed the chapter and look forward to next one.