• Published 9th Oct 2016
  • 5,119 Views, 192 Comments

The Rose and the Serpent - Gulheru



A bet to prove her courage causes Roseluck to stumble upon a great, serpentine creature in the midst of White Tail Woods. Which might not be a most fortunate occurrence.

  • ...
15
 192
 5,119

Chapter VIII – The Captivity and the Deliverance

The night was long and full of scales...

They were encompassing Roseluck, surrounding her... Holding her close to the most revolting creature she had ever had the displeasure of bumping into. And only those few nights ago.

A terrible autocrat. A disgusting tyrant! Who was treating her as his toy, as his plaything and possession and Harmony knew what else he had on his reptile mind.

As if that wasn’t terrible enough, he had plans to change the entire town of Ponyville into his personal domain, most likely. And, if Roseluck would guess, that wasn’t the end of his ambitions.

The...! The snake! Ironically and not!

She would love to exhale and ease all that tension by getting up and taking a walk, but she couldn’t possibly leave Cyrus’ clutches without rousing him up. Infuriating.

The only good thing about the current situation, was that Roseluck could vent and condemn him in the comfort of her own mind.

Whatever had occurred, whether it had been her defiance in the crucial moments, or the sudden shifts in her mental states lately, she did not know. But what she was well and fully aware of, laying in between the coils of her “Master” was that the treacherous voice of her mind was pretty much completely muffled at the moment.

Oh, it was there, without a doubt, Roseluck would not dare to be that naïve. It was ready to resurface with its insidious whispers.

Like an addiction. Exactly like that. She bet that, if again this urge in her own brain to submit to Cyrus’ Gaze were to be indulged, it would be doubly hard to break away from it, despite her being in relative control of herself.

To think of what had befallen Daisy and Lily and everypony else enslaved by his magic was a terrible pastime... and still not as terrible as their fate.

At the very moment, however, Roseluck thought clearer. To her relief... and her hope, that it was a start of fighting back directly after all.

She had to figure something out. She had to stop Cyrus somehow. Obviously, there were a few obvious solutions. For example – Princess Twilight Sparkle. If there was anypony that could deal with this monster, it was her and the Elements of Harmony. The issue would be connecting her in a way that would not endanger anypony, nor alert the naga. Roseluck wouldn’t believe him powerful enough to withstand the Princess’ power aided with the Elements... but a cornered snake would undoubtedly strike back.

Oh, and she was more than convinced that, when threatened, Cyrus would make sure to use her friends as bargaining chips, maybe even... even meat shields. He seemed like a creature that could spew words about loyal service and repayment for it, but when he himself would be threatened...!

Roseluck’s muscles tightened a little as Cyrus’ arms and coils held her a little firmer. Parasitic in the naga’s desire of drinking from her body’s heat.

She wasn’t going to spend the rest of her existence as a pony heater!

There was a way out, she was sure of it.

For now, all she had was to wait, unfortunately. The sun would be up in an hour, she figured. The greenhouse would be warmed up again by its rays and the naga would stir to plan and scheme. She was not expecting him to make his way outside in any way, this place provided him with just enough of a lair until... until he would have enough ponies in his clutches to seek a yet more comfortable space for himself and his assets.

She lifted her foreleg up, covering her eyes with it and thinking. Thinking hard.

She wasn’t wrong about the time, at least. When the golden light of the morning began encompassing the glass, she could feel the temperature rising ever so slightly. And with it, her “Master” stirred and yawned.

She gulped at the sight of his body stretching out, revealing the muscles and the strength hiding in them. At least, it wasn’t a force directed at her. What she received was gentleness, both in gesture and voice.

“My Roseluck...” he muttered, his violet eyes still clouded with the remnants of sleep. His scaled touch caressed her temple. “You are awake already?”

“Good morning, Master,” she greeted him in the least suspicious way she could. “I woke up not long before... but I figured you wished to slumber in. And who am I to take away my heated body from you?”

She felt like gagging, but suppressed the instinct.

Unlike the naga, whose drowsy smile beamed at her. “Your loyal assistance is appreciated, Roseluck... and your warmth is far greater than that of this garden, though I take from both to banish the bleak and cold dreams.”

“Then I am doubly glad I’ve allowed you rest, Master,” she told him with as much of a smile as she could muster. “Would you wish for some breakfast? I can fetch something from my house.”

“No need to rush, Roseluck. Your friends shall check in at an opportune moment. And I am not planning on making any further moves on the town and young one denizens for at least a few days, so there is plenty of time,” he said, stretching further. Something popped in his tail and he shuddered. “Mmmm, yes... Your misadventure shall be put to the back of the minds... and then I shall take to the front of those.”

So there was, indeed, some time. And yet none of it to waste.

“I understand, Master, of course... I should probably appear today publicly, at least for a while. Maybe not help around the garden, but...”

Cyrus stretched his neck and nodded. “Indeed, my Roseluck. If Slave Redheart did as she had been instructed, you are deemed rested just enough to help out around, alongside your friends. It was, after all, simply a very unfortunate case of being lost in the woods...”

“And not meeting my glorious Master,” Roseluck finished the sentences as she imagined he would like her to.

He did, considering how he stroked her back. Invoking an involuntary shiver that was as nice as treacherous. “Well said, well said. Such a pity that not everypony before realized how much of an honor that is...” he said and then blinked, shaking his head. “Cold thoughts,” he hissed, maneuvering his tail deeper into the furs... and more around Roseluck’s lower body. “I have enough of those cold thoughts!”

The tone he used seemed a little... off, she thought. And since, right now, she couldn’t very much get up, she might have at least showed some fake interest.

Besides, could this be the same topic he had before hinted at? Maybe, despite his reluctance...

“Could I banish those worries with more than my heat, Master?” she inquired in a soft, tamed tone.

Cyrus closed his eyes, burrowing himself deeper in his bedding... and burrowing his head in the crook of her neck. She gulped a little, as his fanged muzzle rested next to her throat, but he didn’t seem to understand that as a sign of displeasure.

“Your warm body does nicely... and it was just a little chill,” he said. Deflecting, quite visibly, even for his snake self. “Then again... I do not believe I ever had a chance to share where does this particular discomfort come from.”

Roseluck felt her ears perking up and she gathered as much focus as she could, even with the abomination being so dangerously close. Perhaps, just perhaps, this distance would be shortened, so to speak, for her to learn something useful.

“Master... I’m here to listen if you would deem that helpful, you should remember that,” she offered with that little bit of conviction.

And to her hidden excitement, the offer was accepted, as Cyrus took a deep breath before speaking up. It was as if he were preparing to lift a great burden. Perhaps off his shoulders after all.

“Where to start... The lair you have stumbled upon was not my first in the lands that the young ones call ‘Equestria’. Before, I took for my domain a canyon, near what your tongue names ‘the Badlands’, I presume,” he explained, braving whatever mental barriers he had step by step.

Or, rather, sliver by sliver.

“Quite inaccurately, I would say. The sun there is hot and boisterous, the wind brings the smell of wild grass and freedom and promise. And my lair had access to something that resembled an abandoned mining shaft, with a grand lake of water... How bad can such lands be?”

Roseluck read about that part of the continent before. For a creature like him, those could have maybe provided. But ponies avoided those territories with care, or at least ventured there with correct and careful preparation. Which begged the question.

“But... it does not seem a proper place to find a court, Master.”

“Quite right, my Roseluck,” the naga replied, shifting a little around the furs for even more comfort and warmth. “However, you must know well how much power is there in rumors. It has been like that for centuries... And rumors about riches hidden in the rocks I believe still cause a number of adventurers and explorers to venture just there. Peculiar. I suppose when one lacks the right perspective...” He fell silent for a breath. “They would risk their lives for a speck of gold in the river sand, for a glint of silver among the bland rock. Such petite seams of ore... what are they, really? A grain of sand compared to a desert of our ancient riches...” He paused, then shook his head. “Yet those grains summoned. Lead the young ones by the way of my lair.

“Unfortunately, as you have logically asked about,” he added, and Roseluck zeroed in on his words even more, “being far away from civilization meant safety and a wondrous location, but still limited resources. I couldn’t well afford to start my court there, that is right. I was aiming, rather, to find somepony useful and worthy. So they would be my first opening, to then venture forth into your lands, to find a better place and plan ahead with their aid.”

“I... understand, Master. Ponyville is plentiful, a much better place to start building your influence,” Roseluck told him, much to his joy, expressed in a dreamy smile that she caught onto in the corner of her vision.

She hated coddling him, but this was for a greater cause.

“Indeed...” he agreed. “Still, as I mentioned before, those ‘Badlands’ can bring good. For I did find who I was looking for. A comely and witty young one. She was called... called Hidden Track.”

He spoke the name and then hissed profoundly. It was a piercing sound, not even because of its proximity. There was a tone in it, a strange, ancient song that resonated deep within Roseluck’s core.

It sang of... loss.

Yes. Roseluck, even brandishing the feelings she had, could easily read into the gloom of that sound. However scary, it was filled with a sort of longing that brought to mind only the most unpleasant scenarios.

She wasn’t going to encourage or hurry Cyrus in any way. This was already a crucial opening she had found. She simply couldn’t squander it.

And, thankfully, the naga began talking again, in a note almost wistful, as he was braving more and more cold obstacles in his mind, Roseluck knew that much.

“Hidden Track... She had eluded me for a long time. She knew something was tracking her, keeping an eye on her treks and campsites, though she couldn’t possibly expect my glorious self. She did her absolute best and, by the Endless Coils, did she prove her worth. Such cunning and skill. Not to mention that, by the Endless Coils, no naga would be ashamed to have a retainer like her, she could represent the very Nagaraja without shame, such was her bearing and aspect!” he praised. And genuinely, much to Roseluck’s surprise. “When I finally cornered her and bound her with my Gaze, I was most definitely honored about such a superb find.”

“She must have been very special, Master,” Roseluck replied, trying to form in her mind the image of a mare that would make such an impression on him. She avoided that natural sting of jealousy, as she knew it was only due to the spell in her mind.

Cyrus in the meantime did nod into her neck, clutching her just a little tighter. Did she imagine it, or did a shudder pass through him? He wasn’t still cold, she wouldn’t think. This was something far deeper.

“She was incredible. Not that this takes away from your worth, Roseluck...” he ascertained her.

“Thank you, Master...” she replied, now forced to ignore the little sting of joy. She had to suppress any of such feelings as long as she could.

But could she stop her curiosity, when the stakes were as they were?

“What happened, Master? Why is there sadness in your powerful voice...?”

Cyrus shook his head, his eyes squinting even harder before he opened them wide. She recognized that he saw something truly... horrifying for him in his very mind. Something that caused quite a vicious reaction. Granting him with the expression of a frightened little serpent, rather than a humongous, slithering monster.

“I kept her in the lair, to be safe. I explained to her, much like did to you, even more meticulously and with considerable joy, what is required of her as a Servant. I told her of my plans and I taught her of my history, as much as she was willing to listen...” A hint of a smile crossed his lips. “She was... impetuous at times. Even if I could tell her adventurer’s heart found its joy in the tales. I educated her on her position, on her privileges, on her rewards...” his voice turned into seductive whispers as a fanfare of colors escaped his eyes.

Roseluck managed to quickly look the other way, as Cyrus was thankfully targeting an unspecified piece of the greenery around and not her own eyes. And he didn’t even spot that, as his true gaze was far in the past.

“She was going to be my stepping stone into your lands. No. The cornerstone of my glory. She would find me my court, she would usher her... your kin into my coils and she would be my herald. With all the splendor that emanated from me, she would illuminate your lands. I would have put her above all others, her bloodline to be praised for generations to come... But...”

He paused, his tongue flicking out a number of times, as if looking for something, tasting the air. Or maybe invoking back something that much more vividly.

“I recall the day. Warm sun, fresh wind against my scales, as I carefully patrolled for stragglers and unlucky explorers. The scent of anticipation and distant grasslands, hovels of the young ones calling me forth. I recall it so well... Hidden Track I left in the cavern, to guard it and clean it somewhat. I was planning to venture on in but a couple of weeks, with enough supplies for both of us to reach a place near the closest, proper settlement and began enacting my plans. And when I came back for the night, with rest in mind... I didn’t find her in the cavern.”

“She... she escaped, Master?” Roseluck asked timidly, seeing as the naga’s voice was gaining in force. Force that she would not wish to stand against. It wasn’t anger, though. No, it was a cold, grim determination which was hiding something behind it.

Something that had been wounded and now bore a scar...

“She was planning on escaping, yes...” he revealed, his upper lip twitching once as a hiss gathered deep in his throat. “Not that she could venture far, I thought, nor reach the canyon’s top without my aid. I planned for that when preparing my lair, only I could safely gain access to it, but... But that wasn’t her concept,” he declared with a touch of nostalgia that did not manage to dispel even a sliver of his mounting temper. “She was clever even in her... her desperation.”

With a smooth motion, he suddenly rose up. Still holding Roseluck in the coils, yes, but his torso moved up and away. As if pulling himself away from what was too harsh on his mind.

And she panicked, more so due to being kept still like she was. Concerned that at the very crucial moment he faltered and closed up, robbing her of the opportunity to learn something vital in her own, captive situation.

That wasn’t the case, however, much to Roseluck’s relief. The naga simply leaned away, reaching one of the sacks that were brought last night to the greenhouse. He was searching for something in them, speaking still.

“I found her after a brief search. She stood at a small outcropping, overlooking the river which was at the canyon’s bottom. I called for her, confused. I had no idea what was her motivation, or her concept... at that time. And now it all seems so... blatant. Sssash’ah’asss... Eternal shame on the son of Dharhyushs that he couldn’t see what was just before his eyes.”

Roseluck felt a chill down her spine. Strong enough to feel one of the coils tightening around her to prevent her from slipping from its grasp. She shuddered all over when he turned to check on her... but he understood her reaction right away and didn’t comment on it. It must have been equally... blatant.

“She...” Cyrus spoke again, looking at Roseluck almost sorrowfully now. “She turned to me, her eyes closed. She told me that she will not understand, never understand. That she will not follow, no matter what glory I would envision and how near the top I would place her among my possessions. That she can no longer sit idly by as the voice in her head is telling her to be complacent, that she can no longer stand any of it... And she said that...”

He swallowed, as if the words he was meaning to say were some unpleasant medicine, causing his face to scrunch and his throat to burn and clench.

“She said that she is... free.”

He spoke the word with absolute disdain. And only then did Roseluck spot that he was holding something in his scaled forelegs.

A piece of material. Like from a set of firm clothing. Torn away.

Cyrus’ face fell, but his neck was shuddering, so much was he trying to contain himself. “I... I lunged forward, hissing her name in absolute terror... I tried, by the Endless Coils, I tried,” he uttered, shaking his head and baring his fangs, which worked that much more vividly than gritting one’s teeth. “But this... is all I caught.”

Roseluck couldn’t find the words at first, couldn’t get them through her own throat, which felt parched and dry. “M-Master... you mean that she...?”

Cyrus hissed in a prolong fashion, letting out a sigh and all of the tension which had gathered in him. For a moment it looked like he was leaking air entirely, his posture slumping a little and his face losing any traits of majesty.

“I know not, my Roseluck...” he finally replied, rubbing that piece of cloth as if invoking something more from it. A smell... or a memory of a touch. “I dived into the water below after her... but never found her. I doubt she made it to the shore, as much... as much as I would wish that she had. She deserved better than to succumb to such madness,” he said, his muscles trying to tense, but failing miserably. “For it must have been madness, surely.”

He declared, looking towards the glass ceiling, the greenery and the sprinkler system, as if any of those could explain this strange mystery to him.

Roseluck, unlike them, understood. She was grasping so naturally what he, in all his pride and all his ancient, impossible logic, simply couldn’t arrive at.

He still couldn’t see what was blatant. For her and for all the ponies of all tribes.

And his words only reinforced this observation. “I did everything I should have, everything I’ve been taught. I gifted Hidden Track with attention, regaled her with the peytral, explained her role as the closest young one to a naga, how vital and honorable that role is, I was even generous, granting her closeness and bliss. And yet she... she...” He shook his head again in utter disbelief. “The young ones should have never been left on their own for so long. Our domains never should have crumbled. It allowed madness to enter the world, disguised under the notion of freedom.”

He put the piece of cloth, the memento of Hidden Track, against his forehead, closing his eyes. It almost looked like he was praying for a good moment.

“It is not freedom to cast one’s destiny away, to rob yourself of the future, when the future is so bright...”

There was something sincerely sad in his tone. Sorrowful from his own, alien perspective. For once, Roseluck was convinced that she was hearing the absolute truth from the naga.

But his truth wasn’t the universal truth, no?

She felt that twinge of sadness herself. But that was simply her empathy and, quite likely, his lasting influence in her mind. But could she bring herself to actually feel sorry for his loss...?

Definitely for the unfortunate mare, surely, but for him?

No. Roseluck felt that it was beyond even her.

Cyrus was unaware of it, however. And when he glanced at her once more, after a moment of meditation over his past, he let out a long, exhaling hiss. One that seemed to have granted him a measure of closure.

“I... wish to thank you, sincerely, my Roseluck. I had not a chance to speak of those terrible, cold memories before. I feel... refreshed to have revealed that burden...”

She only smiled, as much as she could force herself to. “Think nothing of it, Master, I am simply so happy that I could help. One shouldn’t deal with such memories alone.”

She rested one of her hooves gently on his scaled tail and the gesture invoked a lopsided grin from him too.

“You are a gift, my Roseluck. A gift for me to deal with all of my cold plights. You bring the warmth of the Seas of Sands and the light of the bright sun with your presence,” he praised her and that too felt genuine as much as Roseluck would hate to admit it. “Soon, when I am established and my court can thrive, you will be exalted above all of your kin.”

Roseluck gave him a reverential bow of her head. Fighting her obedient side, which flared back a little at the promise of a reward from the naga.

“Master, you are the one worthy of glory, I am just your humble Servant.”

“And that humility shall take you far, my Roseluck,” Cyrus told her, approaching with his torso and giving her an almost paternal tap on her head. “Your help right now shall be duly recognized. And when there is time in the eve, you can expect... bliss.”

He promised and she shivered. Without a doubt he would see it as joyous anticipation, but... it was anything but that. Well, in the vast majority. That small, treacherous part of her have stirred for a moment and Roseluck did her best to push it back hard.

Since a naga’s recognition could have meant only one thing as reward. One, tri-colored thing.

Cyrus’ smile was all the more joyous now. “My Slaves and your friends should arrive soon, I believe. We both need a meal and you have to maintain the fiction that yours was just a minor misadventure, as I have stated... But, even so and wherever you are, know that your Master is with you, even if but hidden well in your mind... and that he is pleased with your service.”

His hisses were getting more and more dangerous. Especially if such a premise were to be anchored in Roseluck’s head, to fester in it all day in rising expectations for the evening... So she did her best to ignore it outright.

And decided that she needed to do something, anything that day still, to try and undermine this monster’s plans.

Sure enough, not a couple minutes later both Lily and Daisy did arrive, bringing some food for Cyrus in a fashion that definitely made it look like a loyal offering. And they were also ready to take Roseluck back home, to keep the necessary appearances.

The naga released all to go freely for the reminder of the day, having decided to unpack more and organize the greenhouse to his liking. Which meant the three could plan out their activities as they usually would have been doing.

Well, not everything could be kept “the usual”, at least when it came to the two of them, Roseluck soon realized. It became blatant right after they exited the greenhouse, firstly in the form of a few, playful jabs.

“So... any special rewards from the Master you want to talk about after all, Rose?” Daisy asked in a conspiratorial whisper, so appropriate when it came to discussing such inappropriate matters.

“Dee! I swear, behave yourself!” Roseluck replied quickly. And with far, far less of the regular joy of gossip. The three of them did enjoy the grapevine, naturally, but at the moment it was all marred with the realization of best friends being under a truly vile influence.

Actually it was more than enough to ruin the mood completely for Roseluck. And yet she couldn’t very well be angered at them. The source of their plights had just been left behind, like a lizard in a huge container.

Still, Lily did spot that Roseluck’s face fell much faster than it should have. “What? Can’t we be happy that our bestie found herself being chosen by the Master as so special?”

“That is still inappropriate. What happens with the Master in private, stays private,” Roseluck replied, trying not to turn it into a proper snap at her best friend.

“That sounds to me like you’re confirming something,” was the only retort. A little mischievous, but in good heart... just of askew mind.

Roseluck shook her head. Interacting with the two of them wasn’t going to be easy for her, she had realized that quite early on... but this was becoming far more difficult than she had imagined.

She was in almost-full possession of her senses. They weren’t. If it was anything like what she recalled about the previous days of being under stronger magical influence... Well, when the three of them were suffering from the spell equally, things appeared... normal. Enchanted, charmed, cursed, but fraudulently normal. The fact that they were all Slaves was just that. A fact. Not to be worried about, but to embrace.

But from Roseluck’s Servant perspective, considering her lack of true loyalty? This was... appalling.

But was that how it worked and what Cyrus knew would happen in the long run? When everypony were enslaved, lacked the outside perspective, shackled tightly by the Gaze... the new norm was so easy to accept and follow?

“Alright, Dee, let’s leave her alone,” Lily finally said with a roll her eyes, breaking Roseluck out of those ruminations. “She obviously doesn’t feel like talking. Fair enough. But I bet you’ll spill the beans eventually, Rose...”

That was the plan, actually. About all of it.

Roseluck felt bad and grateful at the same time that she didn’t have to continue this exchange. She expected this duality of feelings to persist through the day. Speaking of which, she would have to manage to go through with a plan before the evening... because her mind was slipping occasionally to think of only one, promised moment. And reaching it would be very bad for her ideas...

... but what was the plan, exactly?

Roseluck needed to think of something, to find a way to subvert Cyrus or maybe even get his whole design crushing down upon him by revealing his presence... but as much as Lily and Daisy were helping her around, they were without a doubt keeping an eye on her. Was it loyalty invoked by the spell itself or the naga’s additional caution that he had conveyed to them during the time Roseluck couldn’t remember, she wasn’t sure. But neither scenario was optimistic, as she could fairly easily bet that they would do whatever was in their power to intercept her actions.

And she doubted that her position above theirs would overturn the naga’s commands, even considering the hierarchy of the “court”.

Roseluck’s mind did not even want to mention that were she to say to a random citizen of Ponyville that a serpentine monster had made their home in the greenhouse, she would look raving mad even by the local, rather loose standards. Or viewed as a little shook from her unfortunate escapade.

No, she had to do it right, as she fully expected to have one and only one proper chance for at least a while.

The day progressed rather smoothly. A few random ponies came about to ask how she was and she did her best to answer with as much truth as she could. She was tired and, indeed, a little shaken. And she was glad to be back. She would feel better soon, as everypony was convincing her of in return.

Unaware how treacherous those sentences were to her mind, even if the voice in her head was constantly and successfully pushed back.

Still, she would hope for getting better, yes. As soon as the threat beginning with that hissing “c” would be gone.

At one point in the early afternoon Bulwark came to check in on things around the store. Also nurse Readheart stopped by, to take another, faux report on Roseluck’s well-being. And to convey that none of the other “courtiers” had spotted anything worrying through the town. No suspicions, no strange questions asked.

Drat.

Still, Roseluck bade her time, hoping to spot her chance. Hoping, almost praying that it would happen on the same day, because the longer this situation lasted the more time Cyrus had to plot and scheme his moves against her friends and neighbors... She simply had to dream of an opportunity revealing itself soon enough.

And, as providence would have it, it did. And, further thanks be to it, she managed to prepare in advance for it a little bit during the day’s chores.

Ponyville had, for some time now, a very important and friendly resident. One that, despite her station, was very close to her subjects.

Right in the evening, just before the closing time of the store and just as Roseluck, alongside Lily and Daisy, was getting ready to bring in the last pots from the stands, a certain, lavender mare appeared at the end of the street, casually making her way towards the shop.

And Roseluck’s heart thumped faster.

As did her friends’, though for a different reason altogether, she dreaded.

“Princess Twilight,” Daisy whispered in a slight panic, trying not to show it at least with body language. Though she was close to dropping one of the flowers. “She wants to check on you again!”

Lily gave her friend a little shove still. “Keep it together, Dee. She’ll ask some questions and that’s all, surely.”

Roseluck hoped for the same. Minus the “that’s all” part, obviously.

“Stay calm, girls. Act natural,” she advised the two, as acting the Servant part before them should have dulled the caution on their side.

Roseluck needed the perfect moment, one on one. And she had the means of assuring it.

Or so she hoped.

Princess Twilight, in the meantime, closed the distance to the store, even from a long way away gracing all of them with an honest smile. Unsurprisingly, even just one aspect of Friendship was enough to warm the atmosphere for Roseluck, and not only because she was anticipating her chance with baited breath.

That was real magic, which the Princess hoped everypony would learn. Not Cyrus’ vile trickery.

“Hello! I was hoping to find the three of you before the evening,” Her Highness cheerfully greeted them, which caused a set of two more and one less anxious bows. “Please, there’s really no need. I just wanted to come by and see Roseluck. How are you doing? I hope you’re better?” the alicorn inquired, with genuine interest.

Roseluck did nod, hoping that very same interest would aid her. “Yes, Your Highness, I hope to say so. And I’m, again, grateful that you have organized the search, though... I feel like I have occupied too much time and effort of yours. And Ponyville’s!” she added with a little, nervous chuckle.

Too nervous. One just enough to spawn attention, she hoped. Princess Twilight was good at spotting such things, right?

The alicorn did chuckle in reply, first and foremost. “Please, Roseluck, it’s nothing. We couldn’t have possibly left you to fend for yourself in the woods! I’m just glad the efforts weren’t in vain.”

“So you say they could have gone for longer?” Roseluck framed the question in such a way.

“Why... of course!” was the royal reply. Slightly confused royal reply. “Friendship means being ready to help as long as possible! Especially when somepony is in deep trouble.”

Roseluck wished to speak, maybe comment on the inadvertent pun, but Daisy cut in from the side. “Yes! Exactly! Thankfully the deep trouble’s over!”

Lily nodded fervently. “Yup! Rose’s back! Things can be normal again!”

“Normal? In Ponyville?” Princess Twilight joked once more, causing an all-around, if slightly nervous giggle. “That would be new.”

“It would be new, indeed,” Roseluck agreed. Eagerly. Very. And, to cement that as her opportunity, she had decided to go through with her little plan. “Your Highness... I... did feel like I should have shown you some special thanks for your help, so...”

She looked to Lily and Daisy... and in their eyes she saw strange glints. What did just cross their...?

Oh no! No, no, no, she was not going to lure the Princess to the greenhouse, that was not the plan! The plan was far less abominable!

“Girls, would you bring me the flower basket I have prepared for the Princess? I left it in the back room,” she requested of them. And seeing a momentary hesitation on their part, added to alleviate it. “It’ll be the nicest way to mark the definite end of this unfortunate misadventure.”

That managed to somehow convince them, it seemed, though Roseluck was certain it wasn’t for long. She wasn’t stupid and neither were them. Especially with the naga’s insidious whispers in their heads, she did bet.

The Princess, hearing all that and seeing Lily and Daisy going inside the store in a little hurry, gave a little shake of her head.

“Oh, please, there’s no need ! I appreciate it, but it was simply something that anypony would do!” She was selling herself short, that much Roseluck was certain of. But exchanging pleasantries wasn’t the point of it all. “Honestly, Roseluck, you shouldn’t have. I’m just glad you—”

“Your Highness, please,” Roseluck interrupted her. Somewhat daringly, all things considered, but her friends were already inside and she couldn’t waste a moment.

She took a deep breath. It was time to reveal it all in one fell swoop.

There is a naga, a serpent monster in our greenhouse. He can enchant ponies with his gaze and overtake their minds. I’m bound by him but lucid, but even Lily and Daisy are under his spell, just like some other ponies in town. I simply need your help.

“There is a number, a selection of flowers in our greenhouse. They can enchant ponies with their looks and overtake their smell. I’m bound to tell you, and lucidly, that even Lily and Daisy can be under their spell, just like some other ponies in town. I simply need to thank you for help.”

The Princess’ eyes widened. “I had no idea...”

And Roseluck smiled in relief. Yes, that would definitely do it.

“... that you were so passionate about flowers, Roseluck! Yes, I know it’s your talent and I saw what arrangements you can do, absolutely gorgeous, but hearing this... I cannot simply deny this gift, then. Thank you so much, this is so kind of you!”

... wait, what?

Didn’t you hear what I’ve just said about the naga and the spell?

“Didn’t you hear what I’ve just said about the flowers and their spell?”

“I... did hear it,” the alicorn replied, as gratitude morphed ever so slightly into confusion. “What do you mean?”

Roseluck blinked. Blinked again. What was...?

She felt her eyes widen and her lips part, as realization came to her in its own, fell swoop.

Yes, she was explaining it all to the Princess. Inside her mind. In the meantime, her own voice, that dreadful voice belonging to her shackled part, was undermining her! Subverting her as she hoped to subvert Cyrus!

The Gaze! It was that damnable Gaze, she knew it! Twisting her words as it had been corrupting her thoughts before!

Was it why the usual suggestions were so silent before? Knowing what her plan had become, was the spell adjusting itself just for this? Could it have recognized her treachery of the Master and decided to focus its efforts like that?

Was that even possible? How could one’s own mind betray one so much?!

No, you’re confused!

“No, I’m confused.”

I’m under a spell, I simply must tell you, Princess!

“I’m a spell tired, but I simply must thank you, Princess.”

Roseluck was panicking on the inside and was doing her absolute best to force it out, but the voice out of her mouth was much calmer and doing its best impression of sincerity instead.

The alicorn wanted to say something, but the sound of opening doors interrupted her. Lily and Daisy came back, in almost record time, carrying with themselves a huge and decorative flower basket, filled to the brim with freshly cut blooms and blossoms. Roseluck would be more than proud of herself due to the arrangement of carnations, pale delphiniums, lilies and lavenders... but instead, she was wailing on the inside.

Even more so when she spotted that the colors she had used in the gift were mostly azure, purple and periwinkle.

What could she do?!

Wait, Princess!

“Here, Princess.”

The display of flowers was, oh how ironically, enchanting, and the alicorn let out a small gasp.

“This is beautiful! Oh, Roseluck, thank you so much!”

Daisy but smiled happily at this reaction, giving a sharp nod. “She did her very best and it shows, Your Highness!”

... and Roseluck panicked. Did her friend realize? Did she know, felt what was going on?! Through that... that connection of knowing?!

No, no, no! There had to be a way out of this!

Lily’s giggling didn’t help to find it, however. “Way to get back to normal, with a bouquet like that! Aren’t those colors just charming?”

“You could definitely say that!” the alicorn agreed, grasping the basket in her magic without hesitation. “Thank you once more.”

Roseluck wanted to say... well, anything. Her eyes started to water a little. But saying something wasn’t going to work... She... she could, maybe...

She moved her foreleg up, trying to go for the basket still in her reach, to hit it, to shove it, to show in any way what was happening, what was truly underlying it all. But Daisy and Lily, as if anticipating something like that, suddenly moved closer and pretty much smothered Roseluck in a tight embrace.

“See, Rose, I told you the Princess will love it! You were so nervous!” Lily exclaimed, with a hug that was as excited as restraining.

Daisy nodded, helping as well, in the most tragic way one could imagine.

Help me, Princess...

“Thank you, Princess...”

Even the tears in Roseluck’s eyes would look more like her being emotional and touched than... than hopeless.

She watched as her one and possibly only chance trotted away from them, in an excited pace, merry to carry down the street a truly tantalizing gift, for reasons that she didn’t even know about...

“Oof, well done, everypony,” Daisy commented softly after a few breaths. Prompting all the three to turn around and trying to rush them inside. “We’re going to be fine for a while now, I hope.”

Roseluck didn’t have the strength to respond, focused as she was on the ground and completely resigned. And even if she were to say something... would those even be her words...?

She couldn’t tell... But she suspected that tomorrow, she would be even more doubtful. About anything, quite likely.

Watching the ground and being led inside the store, however, Roseluck couldn’t spot Princess Twilight Sparkle taking a careful, suspicious glance back.