• Published 9th Oct 2016
  • 5,117 Views, 192 Comments

The Rose and the Serpent - Gulheru



A bet to prove her courage causes Roseluck to stumble upon a great, serpentine creature in the midst of White Tail Woods. Which might not be a most fortunate occurrence.

  • ...
15
 192
 5,117

Chapter VII – The Deceit and the Captivity

“She’s back! Thank Harmony!”

“Everypony’s been so worried!”

“Are you alright?! Where were you?”

Roseluck was not sure who was saying what in the great crowd surrounding her, but, for once, she was relieved for the regular chaos of Ponyville. And for the warmth and comfort all over her. Getting back home, especially after her recent adventure was the best thing ever. Despite the fact that it was the middle of the night, the main square was packed with almost everypony who had taken part in the search efforts and even those few that remained behind not to leave the town completely abandoned!

She was certain she spotted even the Element Bearers in the crowd. It was almost too much attention, really!

Her happy return was due to none other than her friends Lily and Daisy, alongside Guardsponies Bulwark and Sortie and even before anything official was announced, they were hailed as heroes of the day!

Wholly deserved, Roseluck would say. They were playing an imperative role.

And her florist companions appeared even more than ecstatic about this outcome, considering it was their dare that had made her get into this whole mess in the first place! Their affectionate closeness was additionally helping, since Roseluck felt on her last legs. So she was more than happy to let everypony have their moment with her just bashfully smiling all about.

It was better that way.

It seemed that it took even Princess Twilight Sparkle a moment to push through the crowd and come forth, but she was as pleased as everypony else when she finally got to her.

“Roseluck! I’ve just learnt that you’re back! What happened? Are you alright?”

Roseluck just nodded, finding it impossible to reach for the right words. Thankfully, Bulwark had the whole report prepared well in advance.

“Unfortunate accident, Your Highness,” he declared with a proper salute. “Miss Roseluck stumbled into a natural chasm, hidden among bushes. She slid down quite a way and found herself in an underground cavern without the means of getting back out.”

Roseluck heard a few gasps and just nodded to confirm it. It was such a... silly situation to be fair. A bet, a cavern and then waiting for rescue... Nothing to talk about. Nothing to focus on.

“Did you hurt yourself?” the Princess asked her directly.

And that time it was better to be open and transparent. As instructed.

“N-not really, just strained my leg a little...” she uttered. She felt tired and her thoughts were becoming a scrambled mess, but she could get just enough out. To alleviate worry. “I was just stuck for the past days, I’m a bit worn... There was a spring in the cave, so I had water, thank Harmony.”

She answered well.

“We’ll get you cleaned up and you can have a proper meal, if you wish!” the Princess immediately offered, much to Roseluck’s gratitude. “We’ve all been very worried. Word reached me of search parties hearing screams!”

Daisy chimed in, with a nervous laughter to start with. “Hah, that... that was me, actually.”

“Oh?”

Sortie shook her head, trying to contain a smirk. “Ironically, the exact same thing happened, Your Highness. Miss Daisy stepped forth to check through the bushes and slid down into that very same cavern! Talk about bad luck and good luck!”

Roseluck just nodded, leaning a little more against her friend as the pegasus explained. She now felt simply exhausted and would preferred for the whole gathering to disperse as soon as possible. Too much attention felt bad.

Sortie continued in the meantime. “It was hard to miss Daisy’s shriek...”

“Hey!”

“... so we quickly dived in after her and, after a but a little exploration, we got two mares out instead of one!”

Stone Heart, being the local commanding officer, shook his head at this flawed report. “That is a more than unprofessional way of informing that the search mission was successful... but I think it’s a warranted misconduct this one time. Miss Roseluck is back and safe.”

“Sir, yes, sir!” Bulwark confirmed, taking some of the attention away from Sortie with both joy and professionalism aplenty. “In regards to the completed task, permission to speak, sir.”

“Granted.”

“That chasm that miss Roseluck stumbled into can be dangerous for other ponies foraging the Woods, sir. It might be prudent to secure it somehow, or at least mark it so that we can avoid such a situation in the future.”

The officer pondered for a moment. “Good thinking, soldier. We could take a couple able-bodied ponies and take care of that soon. I take it you both can pinpoint its exact location?”

“Sir, yes, sir,” Sortie answered. “Just a couple strong hooves will suffice to carry anything out. We could do it tomorrow, the memories are fresh.”

Roseluck felt strange at those words... but the Princess joined the conversation.

“That’s well-thought of, naturally, we don’t want anypony getting stuck there or hurt. But let us first focus on welcoming Roseluck back to us,” she pointed out, earning herself a communal salute from the Guard and gathering the attention all around. Which quickly turned to a joyous uproar as she continued in a warm, loud voice. “Everypony can sleep soundly tonight! I wish to thank all of you for participating and helping out. We’ll let Roseluck rest well and tend to her. Let’s hope it’ll soon be but another misadventure with a happy ending!”

The crowd agreed with a cheer, remaining about for a while longer and discussing what had transpired, but slowly and surely everypony started to disperse. Roseluck was uncertain what hour it was, exactly, but the moon hanged high in the sky.

She did feel very drained and her head was swimming just a little. She would prefer to just go back home as soon as possible.

She needed to tell that to the Princess.

“Your Highness,” she began, her voice weak but not too weak. “I really, really appreciate all the efforts. I cannot be thankful enough to everypony, truly. But I think what I wish for right now is to just catch some good, calm sleep...”

“Of course, Roseluck! If your leg is hurt in any way, we can have you taken to Ponyville Hospital, have the doctors check for everything and—”

“Thank you, Your Highness,” she interrupted meekly, “but I would much prefer to just head home. I’m fine... And the one thing that I feel I am definitely in need of right now is my bed and then a big, healthy breakfast in the morning.”

The Princess looked perplexed for just a moment, but then a smile visited her lips after all. “I understand, of course. But wouldn’t you want Nurse Redheart to check on you there, perhaps? Just to make sure nothing is wrong?”

Daisy joined in, making sure that Roseluck was well supported. In all the right ways. “That would be nice! She can come over tomorrow morning, maybe?”

“Late morning,” Lily added. “Rose needs her rest.”

“Sounds like a plan! I’ll make sure you get all the necessary aid that you might need after your troubles, Roseluck,” Princess Twilight did promise with a warm, relieved tone. “We’re glad you are back unscathed.”

Roseluck just nodded. She didn’t have the words.

Daisy and Lily, after exchanging thanks and last glances with Bulwark and Sortie and once again thanking the Princess for her help and swift reaction, made sure that the three of them arrived safely back at Roseluck’s home.

Lily looked around just before the doors closed and exhaled once they were inside. “Phew... Looks like it worked. Or do you think the Princess suspects something?”

Daisy, stopping with Roseluck in the entrance to the living room, shook her head. “Did not seem like it, but... we’ll need to be cautious. Act normal, like we have discussed. And prepare for tomorrow.” She tightened the hold a little, in a gesture of reassurance. “You did wonderfully, Rose.”

Well, Roseluck wasn’t sure what they were talking about, but... she was happy that everypony was happy. And safe. “Th-thank you, Dee... though I’m a bit confused still.”

Truth be told, she was. More and more, actually, feeling her mind wandering all over, like shaken, stirred, muddled. Ever since she had said what she was meant to say. Without more words to convey, without the next goal, her senses seemed almost... slowed down and she could not figure out why. The fatigue of the night and the trip back, of course, those must have affected her. As to the... the time at the cave...

That must... have been it too? The fatigue? From staying there and waiting for rescue?

... did that make any sense? There was nothing else she could reach for.

“I’m... I think I’m just tired.”

She heard a giggle in response from one of her friends. Maybe both, she couldn’t precisely tell. “No wonder, you have to be a bit confused. For safety.”

“Huh?”

She spotted Lily shaking her head. “Come on, Dee, we won’t get to enjoy a friendly chat with her tonight, that was the idea. Come on, let’s get her cleaned up in the bath and lay her to bed. She should get that and she deserves as much. I mean, look at her!”

Bath sounded nice in Roseluck’s head. Made her feel warm.

“You’re right, Lil,” she heard Daisy agree. “Ugh, don’t you think we went too much on the soil in the coat?”

“She had a slide, remember? No mane conditioners, no soap. Had to look the part.”

“Right, yes, yes... She still does not appear as bad as me with ‘my slide’.” Daisy complained, looking over herself. “Ugh. I would love to get to the spa for this one.”

“Not right now, Dee, honestly,” Lily groaned. “But maybe soon? We don’t know what the plan is further down the road, I cannot imagine Aloe and Lotus would be just left aside, no?”

“Right, right, it would make sense.”

Roseluck remembered the slide. And the soil. Not the soap, nor mane conditioners, no. There was a pond, no aloes or lotuses about... but she couldn’t have been too clean... wait, plan?

Her head was... It was swimming...

“Girls... I don’t think I... think. What are you...?”

“Now, now, Rose,” Lily replied, giving her a reassuring rub on her back. “Don’t you worry, you’ll be back to us soon enough, it’s just a precaution. So, how about that bath?”

Bath still sounded nice.

Roseluck could have sworn she closed her eyes for a just a moment, but the next thing she knew was the warmth of the water around her and the hooves of her friends rinsing her mane and massaging her coat with utmost care.

“... good as new. And, you know, Lil, I hope she’ll get to be a favorite!” she heard Daisy saying at some point, causing Lily to giggle.

“Oh, definitely. Have you seen the looks?” she replied, gently massaging the shampoo into Roseluck’s mane. “Not surprising. Told her, she’s way cuter than she thinks. Though I just had stallions in mind!”

Daisy laughed as well. “I mean, she’ll definitely get a... you know, a ‘repayment’ after this. Do you think...?”

“Dee!” Lily seemed to protest and Roseluck saw her flicking a little bit of foam at her other friend. “Don’t say things like that, you’ll get me all flustered!”

... what were they talking about...? Her tired mind could not easily tell. And especially when the body was leaning into those touches, seeking a strange comfort in the pampering and delight. She could just melt into them, following the softness of her thoughts...

Next thing Roseluck knew was finding herself in her bedroom, with warm comforters around her, luring her into a long and desired rest. But before that, even with her eyes barely capable of staying open, she sought Daisy out.

“Dee...”

Her friend came closer with a warm smile. The best kind. “Yes, Rose?”

“What is... my head feels so fuzzy... what...?”

“Shhh...” Roseluck heard a tender coo. “Not for long. Catch some rest tonight, we’ll watch over you. And we’ll help out tomorrow, prepare everything. Make sure Redheart doesn’t get suspicious or anything. It’ll be all fine soon. Trust me.”

That... yes, that felt right. That felt like something that was supposed to happen.

... right? Why did she feel that phrase... sting her? Just a little?

Roseluck knew not when sleep took her, but it was deep. Deep as the sea. She felt herself swimming in the confines of her mind, in the waves of her dreams and fantasies. Currents were leading her left and right, up and down, as if she were turned and twisted around. Then held safely. Like in a cocoon. She felt the firmness of her respite, of her haven, made not of comforters around her body, but of rings, of words over her mind. She was cradled, kept safe. Care was bestowed upon her and her mind, even as she slumbered.

It felt right. It felt... like she belonged like this.

She belonged to... to...

She did not have the words. She did not have the thoughts to name it.

Her eyes fluttered open. Faint, dimmed light was coming to the room from behind the curtains. She heard voices. From outside her bedroom door.

“Rose’s still asleep, actually. She really needed that rest, if you ask me, after what she’s been through,” Lily’s voice assured somepony.

“Did she eat anything before sleep?” came that somepony’s reply.

“No,” Daisy’s tone answered. “We barely got her out of the bath, she was so tired. We’ve wanted to greet her home today with a little, uhm, ‘feast’ I suppose... but instead prepared something light, not to upset her stomach. We figured that would make more sense. We can get her a fuller meal later in the day.”

“Now that’s very smart of you,” the other voice praised. “Was she mentioning any discomforts? Leg strain, gastric pains? I heard there was a pond in the cavern but we cannot be sure if the water was fit for drinking.”

“No, not at all. We were checking on her through the night, one or the other,” Lily informed. “Living next door helps taking care of a friend.”

“No fever, tossing and turning, sweats?” came the next question.

“Nope, she was sound asleep all the time.”

“I see... Well, I had to run out of my shift for a moment, need to get back. But I would still like to check in on her a bit later, then.”

“Maybe closer to the evening, if nothing will be happening?” Daisy proposed.

The voice had to ponder for a while. “I could come over after I am done at the hospital, yes, but do let me know if you observe anything troubling, I’ll get myself or a friend here immediately.”

“Naturally, though nothing seems wrong in any way,” Lily assured back.

“Which is good. Still, Princess Twilight said we should keep an eye on her.”

“... why, does she think that...?”

“Look, I’m happy Roseluck’s back and glad to hear nothing wrong has happened, but the Princess likes to be certain. Extra certain,” the voice affirmed. “All things considered, Ponyville has seen its share of strangeness. We want to avoid more of it, right?”

“Sounds... yes, sounds about right,” Lily agreed, somewhat begrudgingly, but accepting the point made anyway. “You know, as a friend, I just want her to put it past her and have her get back to normal life. Less caves, more flowers.”

“I understand, Lily, don’t you worry, I’ll make sure we don’t bother her too much. Just to make certain she is fine.”

“Yes...”

Roseluck wanted to get up. She really did, but her legs felt so heavy and her mind was still in that strange, floating place.

For some reason, she recalled having felt like it. Only this time there was less... joy in it? Something was missing. She just couldn’t tell what.

The doors creaked a minute later and both Lily and Daisy checked inside.

“Ah, you’re awake,” Lily said with a smile. “Nurse Redheart roused you up? Don’t worry, she won’t be about until later on. It should give us plenty of time. Get you ready too, you must appear just tired a little and nothing more.”

“M... must appear...?”

Daisy shook her head. “Don’t you worry. You’re still out of it, we know. We too would prefer it done and done... but we can do nothing about it until later.”

Roseluck didn’t understand. And she did at the same time. Enough not to protest.

She appreciated the lighter breakfast they had prepared. It went well with her, actually. It felt almost wonderful, to just sit down with them again, but, yet another time, something was missing. Like a piece of a puzzle, a vital one, absent from the bigger picture, ruining its integrity.

Roseluck tried to speak up during the meal.

“So... so what we are doing today...?”

Daisy rolled her eyes. “You don’t really get to do anything, you are staying in and having a rest. We, on the other hoof, have a lot to do.”

“Like... like what?”

“Oh, we won’t be far, don’t worry,” Lily assured, placing a hoof on hers. “We just need to prepare the greenhouse.”

Roseluck blinked slowly. “Greenhouse...? Are the... is it season already? How long was I...?”

“No, Rose, it’s not,” Lily told her, stifling a giggle. “But we will have a need for it soon. It should be big enough, I hope...”

Daisy rubbed her chin. “I’m more concerned whether the tarps will not be too hideous. We cannot just hang carpets on the sides!”

“I mean, speaking of which, now I’m happy we didn’t really organize the place that well,” Lily replied to her. “A lot of the climbers now cover the glass. We just need to make sure there aren’t any real gaps.”

Roseluck felt confusion... and annoyance...? She felt like a pony left out of a joke. And it did not sit well with her, with even as little concentration as she could muster at that moment.

“What... what are you talking about? I don’t... can somepony tell me what’s going on...?”

Both of their friends glanced at her, then back to themselves. Then Lily leaned in, her tone understanding... and a bit worried.

“Rose, darling, we... we would love to tell you, but we cannot. It would ruin everything. Just bear with us until nightfall, alright? It will be worth it.”

“But what...?”

Daisy spoke too, with no less warmth. “Please, Rose. Trust us. If we say too much, you might say a little too much. We don’t know who else might check on you today. It’s a... precaution.”

“Pre... precaution?”

“How about this?” came to her a suggestion. “You let us worry about everything today and you have yourself a calm, relaxing time, staying here? You can sleep in more, you can laze about, maybe... read, if you can focus...? If anypony comes, we’ll take care of it. And in the evening, it will all be clear to you, I promise.”

... that wasn’t much of a suggestion, Roseluck thought. More like an offer... maybe desperate.

She didn’t want her friends to be desperate. Only safe. She felt herself nodding, though it was not out of conviction.

For the next hour she recalled laying in her bed. Trying to rock her head, come up with a coherent plan, thought. Memory. But it was hard. Something was missing, something crucial. And the more she focused on the confines of her mind, the less aware she was of her surroundings.

At some point she thought she heard the voice of Sortie from downstairs. She recognized it easily, even if it was muffled. She wasn’t sure how. The pegasus said something about the plan working and things being packed for transport...

She knew what was it about... and yet not.

Then came the mess in her consciousness again. Hours flew past, Roseluck hopelessly trying to hold onto them, pacing around her room. Her house. But every trot was a minute, every circle an hour...

She wanted to leave... but didn’t. She had the urge to stay inside, even as she spotted both Lily and Daisy working around the greenhouse. She could see them moving about sacks, tarps, removing weeds, pushing around gardening equipment. It would look like regular, everyday work for any onlookers, but Roseluck recognized experienced florists making certain that there would be room. For new flowers, seeds or even saplings. They were organizing the place. Filling gaps that allowed anypony to look in, too. Even making sure to leave the roof covered with the effort of cloth and tall greenery, in case of a wayward pegasus.

It was vital. The best idea at the moment. Though Roseluck still had no clue what it actually was. It was infuriating. And somewhat... sedating.

She recalled a later lunch with them... and then the evening. Coming like an ambush upon her.

Evening. Something was meant to happen. And so she found herself in the living room, staring at a particularly uninteresting piece of the floor. She had no idea for how long she had done that, but it felt like the best thing to do.

She finally heard Daisy’s voice. “Hey, Rose.”

She lifted her eyes up, seeing her friend a little disheveled, but smiling widely.

“We’ve finished the greenhouse, want to take a look?”

Roseluck didn’t feel like protesting. She should have been there. She didn’t know why, but she should have.

Her legs carried her on her own, though her gaze did register both Lily and Daisy paying great attention whether anypony was watching.

When they entered the glasshouse, Roseluck had to really focus to realize that it was the same place she knew. Her friends transformed it in a way to still appear regular from the outside... but the inside now had a grand, clear space in the middle, with emptied sacks and other materials providing a floor over what was usually soil and ground. All unnecessary plants were removed or replanted to the sides, forming a grand, circular glade of sorts, its edges marked with a wall of greenery and flowers.

And the place was warm. Humid. Lily and Daisy set the sprinklers in a way to provide a steady, constant, but delicate flow of watery mist, keeping constant temperature, but not being unbearable to anypony present, even with the moisture in the air.

“So... how do you find it?” Daisy asked, almost expectantly.

Roseluck knew the answer, even if not the topic. “I think it will suffice. There’s space and warmth...”

Lily clapped her hooves together. “Wonderful! This was hard work, but we’ve made it on time! Soon, th—”

“Hello?”

Roseluck wasn’t startled at all, but her friends did almost jump when a voice resounded in the garden outside. One that was heard about earlier that day.

“She’s here right now?!” Daisy asked in a panic. “What do we do?”

Lily bit her lip, but then shook her head. “We act normal. Roseluck is with us, everything is fine. We’ll... we’ll get rid of her before night falls completely.”

“Why the—” Roseluck tried to ask, but Daisy covered her mouth.

“Rose, dear, just stay quiet, please. Or act tired.”

Act? She was tired... the whole day. Unnaturally so...

Lily, in the meantime, approached the greenhouse’s entrance and waved. “Over here Redheart! We’re finishing work for the day!”

A few moments later Roseluck, in between the frame and her friend trying to cover as much of the way in as possible, spotted the nurse making her way closer.

“Oh! Good evening. Nopony opened Roseluck’s door. I thought that she might be sleeping, but wanted to be sure, so decided to find you two. How did she fare through the day? Was everything alright?”

Lily let out a little, nervous giggle. “Oh, much better. We didn’t want her to get back right into work, but she had a chance to get outside, watch us. Not to strain herself, but not to be left alone and all!”

... that wasn’t right, Roseluck thought. She wanted to open her mouth to clarify, but Daisy did her best to muffle her. Gently, but clearly.

Redheart asked again, standing right outside. “That’s good, that’s very good. And is she asleep already? I’d really like to check in on her.”

“Well, actually...” Lily hesitated for a moment, looking inside with a nervous glance. Yet then made a decision after all. “She’s here with us. We thought she’ll enjoy some night’s air and... and seeing what we’ve been doing around the glasshouse lately.”

Roseluck felt herself nodding to nopony in particular while Daisy made a panicked expression and removed her hoof right when Lily moved to the side.

Redheart glanced in, her face lighting up and then falling a little when she witnessed the mares. “Ah! Roseluck, good to see you about. How are you feeling?”

Not terrible, not great. Having some issues with concentration and my mind being scrambled a little for no reason... Like having forgotten something very crucial which is stopping everything from making any sense.

That’s what Roseluck would have said if she could. Instead, she just nodded once more. “I’m fine, thank you.”

The nurse blinked, glancing towards Lily, then Daisy and then back. “Are... you certain? You’re eyes are glassy, I can see th—”

“Humidity!” Daisy almost shouted. “Yes, humidity, we had to crank up the temperature, we’re expecting some colder guests. I-I mean, not guests as in guests, guests as in ‘new specimen’. F-flowers, that is! Which need warmth!”

Roseluck felt herself cringing. Not from the volume, strangely, but from how weak of an attempt that was for an explanation.

Redheart couldn’t have possibly bought that either. “... fillies, is she feeling unwell and you haven’t told me? She could be sick, or—!“

“Is everything alright here?” another familiar voice asked. Roseluck managed to spot, of all ponies, Bulwark, glancing in from behind the nurse who shifted to the side, startled.

“Oh, it’s you, Bulwark. I didn’t hear you approach. What are you doing here?”

The stallion looked about, quickly taking in the situation. “I’m after my shift, I thought that I would check on Miss Roseluck myself. Got a hoof in getting her out of that cavern, after all,” he replied in a flat tone.

It did not really calm Redheart down. She was only getting progressively more confused and worried. Visibly. It was only hard to tell about what precisely, having found herself in such a unique situation.

“Well, I would like to learn how she is doing as well!” she declared, exchanging glances with all gathered ponies. “I find Roseluck here, in a hot and humid greenhouse, looking like she doesn’t even know where she is!”

Stares were traded even further. Simply those that Redheart did not spot, continuing her protests.

“And I don’t understand why the two of you are saying nothing, she’s clearly unwell! We need to properly examine her and notify Prin—”

A flash of an arcane spell, verdant green like the plants around, made Roseluck flinch. The nurse’s sentence was turned into but an exhale as her eyes rolled back and she collapsed to the ground.

Bulwark was there to catch her fall easily, though his expression did not show any relief. Lily and Daisy gasped in the sudden shock.

Roseluck was the only one to take what happened easy... for reasons beyond her.

Reasons that escaped her.

Reasons that bothered her!

“Why am I alright with this...?” she asked to the space around her, as nopony seemed keen on explaining it to her at first.

... why was this happening? Why couldn’t she remember something that would make it all make sense? It could not have been that everypony lost their minds, it must have been something wrong with her!

She shook her head. Violently. Even as she felt Daisy’s hoof on her back.

“Rose, calm down, it’s alright—”

“It’s not alright!” Lily exclaimed exactly how Roseluck would have wanted to. Though the reason for it was different. “We were supposed to keep this quiet and without issues, I thought we can convince Redheart things are fine and now she...!” She pointed at the still mare. “Is she alright?!”

“Just unconscious,” Bulwark replied with a grimace. “And not for too long. I saw that things weren’t going smoothly and the last thing we needed was more attention, so I... well, acted.”

“Yes, but we were supposed to be cautious! Oh! This will surely upset—!”

Lily stopped herself by literally slapping her hoof against her lips, especially when the unicorn tensed up in an instant.

Thought he sighed in relief when she silenced herself. “We... shall find out soon enough, I suppose. The path is clear. Happy that your gardens are so close to the copse, less risky. But Sortie is also keeping watch for any stragglers.” He glanced down at the nurse’s limp form. “I’ll move her to the side for now, make sure she does not scream. Do you have spare rope around here?”

“I can find some.”

Roseluck bit her lip a little. Then her tongue. Feeling that familiar pain. She recalled it well, even among the chaos in her head.

“W... wait a moment,” she wanted to protest, against Daisy’s calming touch. It was starting to create a completely opposite effect. “I... we... cannot just... tie ponies up.”

“Rose, please, it’s alright.”

“It’s not... alright...” she riposted... and the fact that she could made her both relieved and worried.

Ugh, she so wanted things to make sense! Why it did not make sense? Why did everypony know what was happening but not her?!

What was this situation waiting for...?

She tried to trot forth, to stop Bulwark, but as soon as she took one step, the other became ten times harder. Daisy was still by her, not really using strength to stop her, but managing to nonetheless.

Roseluck felt on a leash... like she was the one being secured, unable to get away. Muffled. But the more she focused on that distress, the more the world around her sped up in a way she could not fully control.

Minutes passed, with Lily and Bulwark looking either outside, or at the unconscious Redheart. Tension was heating up the place, more than the humidity, especially when the sun went down completely and the night rolled in, blanketing the town in shadows. On this side in particular, as Roseluck’s house and their gardens faced a nearby, small thicket, towards which everypony else was glancing.

She would too, occasionally. Finding herself with nothing else to do. Maybe at least not for long. Maybe sense would emerge from it?

When an unspecified time in Roseluck’s mind had passed, Bulwark was the first to speak up. “They’re here.”

Lily trotted in place, equal parts giddy and anxious. “Oh! I hope this will be acceptable!”

To whom? Who was coming, causing that fear, that expectation...?

It was ‘who’. That was missing from her brain. And ‘who’ was arriving soon, finally bringing solutions with them...

Was the first pony crossing the threshold ‘who’? No, no it was not, that was just Cherry Fizz, carrying in a large sack. After him... no, not ‘who’, those were Royal Riff, as well as Open Skies and Clear Skies, helping out with a heavy chest. Then came Redwood Oak and Slate Stone... She knew them all. Ponyville residents and those that worked or were stationed here. Carrying luggage, rushed in by Sortie.

That... made sense. The plan was to have them help with the cavern. And now they came here, because...

... because of that ‘who’.

Roseluck felt like she was figuring it out finally. For some reason... was it the tension, the anticipation...? Something was building up inside her, ready to resurface, ready to appear, to make everything orderly.

Exactly like those ponies were doing to the space around her. Bringing in sacks and equipment that she kind of recognized from someplace. They were rolling out carpets, covering the ground elegantly, making sure that the tarps underneath remained securely there, now being but a foundation for softer materials. They were checking for gaps around, quickly exchanging glances and singular words, helped by Bulwark and Lily. Nine ponies doing rapid, meticulous work. Worth it for the sake of... sake of... the ‘who’.

Sortie finally clapped her hooves. “There, that will do it for now. We’ll organize transport for the rest soon. Let us not delay, however.” She stared Roseluck’s way. “Smile, it’s over.”

She didn’t understand.

Not until the pegasus left and then, a minute later, a mass of blue scales slithered in through the greenhouse’s door.

And a pair of violet, serpent eyes met hers.

She gasped and lost her balance for a moment. It was like a damn bursting in her mind. Memories flooded back in. Of the scales, of the pond, of the carpets, of the incense, of the... of the colors. Of everything that she was told to bury deep in her mind, for safety. She finally understood why her brain felt so tied up, so slowed. It was precaution. The smartest kind. What couldn’t have been remembered, couldn’t have been revealed!

And there was just one being that could make such a plan work! One being in this world that could have such power, locked behind the joy and bliss the hue of azure, purple and periwinkle.

“Master!” Roseluck exclaimed, she shouted, she praised! She stepped forth, almost tripping, only to be closer, to drink from his presence, as unworthy as she was of that.

And he, Cyrus, One Who Bestows Care, straightened himself, imperious and powerful, even in such an insignificant place like a greenhouse. He smiled widely, causing a jolt of happiness to energize her body.

“My Roseluck. It is wonderful to see you again, though the separation might have been only so short,” he spoke, his voice like the crushing waves, like thunder and wind, like melody and song. Majestic, frightening and awe-inspiring. And to hear him speak her name, turn to her directly, without distance other than one between a sovereign and subject? Honor like no honors!

She gave him a deep bow. One still unfit of a grand sovereign like him, but being as much as she could possibly do, little as she was in his magnificent presence.

And his satisfaction curled his lips even further, gifting her with joy to rival all joys.

“Rise, rise... I take it your mind recalls me now, then?”

She nodded fervently, scrambling up to her hooves. “Yes, Master, it does! Oh, how could I ever forget you, of all!” She almost berated herself. How was it even possible for one’s mind to erase the memory of a naga overlord?

Cyrus’ expression seemed a little quizzical as well, though maintained the mirth. His eyes turned keener, observant.

“Do you know how exactly have you forgotten me, my Roseluck?”

She quickly scavenged her mind. Very rapidly since Master looked pensive. Maybe displeased?! That couldn’t possibly stand! But... tried as she might have, she knew not the answer.

“N-no, Master, I... I know it was precaution, it must have been, and you must have been the one to do it, Master, as only your power can be so great, but how did you do that I do not recall...”

“What is the last thing you remember?” he further inquired.

“I... I...” she stammered, very much worried. Did she do something wrong? Why was Master so careful?

So... what did she recall? It was foggy, but she... she remembered a moment when she was told to head to Ponyville, that she needed to be a little bit dirtied up? Yes, yes, there was the plan! She was to get back home, say that she was stuck in the cavern! She did as she was asked and then she... she was supposed to wait until she would the Master!

“I... I know what was planned, I know I was sent here, I recall the moment when you ordered as such, Master, but... but before, it’s... all blurry,” she explained, ashamed that this was all she could muster.

The naga hissed in a prolonged way. Not necessarily in anger, but that low, menacing sound penetrated deep into Roseluck’s core, making her shiver and squeak. And not only her, the entire congregation shuddered, some ponies even kneeling down, not to be the target of this mounting emotion.

One pony let out a muffled squeal.

Roseluck glanced to the side and her eyes met Redheart’s panicked gaze. The nurse was trying to wriggle out of her bounds, get rid of the gag around her muzzle. She clearly understood what was happening, especially when Cyrus graced her with a stare.

“And who is she?”

Lily, until now in deep, respectful bow, lifted her head. “L-local nurse, Master. She was sent to check on Roseluck, we thought we... we shall get rid of her before your arrival, but that was not meant to be, so...”

“A medical examination for Roseluck? So she is expected to deliver a report soon?”

“M-most probably, Master.”

The naga hissed. This time in irritation. “Must I always modify plans by cause of my Slaves being careless?!”

Roseluck could have sworn the very greenhouse shook in its foundations when everypony did the exact same, simultaneously.

Cyrus took a deep breath and continued, shaking his head.

“I shall claim her in a moment then,” he declared, eliciting a muffled shriek from Redheart. He paid it no mind, however, turning to Roseluck. “I have suppressed your thoughts and memories with my Gaze and it seems that what I have been taught is correct. My Gaze shackles minds and creates Servants, Slaves and Thralls... but can, to safeguard myself and my court, shape and change minds to some degree.” He paused momentarily. “And how did this day look like for you, my Roseluck?”

She felt herself stammering a little, trying to answer as perfectly as she could. Master sounded satisfied with the outcome, but not with his faulty belongings!

“I... there a-are moments I don’t remember and I felt like... like I was locked in my own h-head? Time was passing strangely, I-I could not move freely, I...”

“Yes...” he muttered under his breath. “It fits and works, indeed, but the cost... By the Coil of Cautions and Secrets...”

He turned around, looking over the gathered, shifting and slithering in place. He was deliberating something fiercely, considering, planning ahead. And, locked deep in thought that Roseluck could not ever dare to fathom, he was so... stately and majestic.

She hoped that she could help. Master deserved all the pleasures and amenities she could provide, that was his due. If aid provided him in his design was one of those luxuries she could grant, then she was going to do so!

The naga finally spoke, having coiled upon himself and risen up, adding a few more inches to his already imposing, grandiose self.

“Heed me, my court. Though my Gaze is powerful and without equal, it’s intricacy overwhelms minds of the young ones with beguilement and forgetfulness. Which is why it will fall doubly upon them alone, as loyal Slaves, to secure their Master’s future glory with silence and caution.”

Roseluck felt a surge of excitement, shared among everypony around... bar Redheart, still trying to desperately move away or scream for help. Nopony paid her much mind. She wouldn’t be heard outside and she would soon know better than to try and escape.

Cyrus continued, empowered by the loyal stares and eager readiness. “They shall speak not a word of what is transpiring, not to their families, not to their friends, not to their colleagues. They shall return to their daily lives, as if nothing happened. For a few days, at least, I shall stay here, concealed from the curious gazes and hostile wills. When this... misadventure of Roseluck will be but another ‘happy ending’ in the young one’s memories, plans shall be enacted.

“Until then, and after, if any of them spots even a hint of suspicion, they shall inform Slaves Bulwark and Sortie, or come here, to the gardens and talk with Slaves Lily and Daisy. Nopony is to make any moves on their own,” the naga accentuated, his gaze escaping to the tied-up nurse, “or their Master shall exact punishment in accordance.”

Everypony promptly nodded, even Roseluck, these words invoking something primal and instinctive in her. Dread before the ire of a greater being. The right kind of dread.

Cyrus then spread his forelegs wide, becoming even more grandiose and splendorous. Making her think of an avatar of a serpent deity deep within ancient jungles, speaking to its followers. She would read about those in fantasy books. But fiction had just become resplendent reality right before her.

“Yet those that shall perform their duties well, shall receive the greatest reward there is. The gratitude of their Master and sovereign... and the bliss that can come with it.”

With a practiced motion, rotating around with but small shifting of the scales, Cyrus graced all the ponies with but a glance... but one filled with azure, purple and periwinkle.

And the reaction all around was immediate, Roseluck could attest for it. No sooner than her eyes met this mesmerizing set of hues, did her heart soar and her mind go blank. All her thoughts drowned immediately in the light and her very soul felt calmed and sedated in a way that was impossible to describe with a word other than utter, overwhelming bliss. She was lost in an ocean of tints and throes, of shades of magic and shivers of delight... She could barely remain standing, her knees buckling from this heavenly joy, however brief. She wanted for it to continue, to smother her conscience and will until she was locked forever, afloat for eternity in this passion.

It wasn’t her decision, though, but the Master’s. When she came to, she realized that Cyrus, after tending to his court in this most generous fashion, focused on Redheart, whose struggles were weakening by the second under the power of the Gaze.

Soon, she too would feel this overwhelming pleasure that came from submitting to the will of the naga.

Having come to from the euphoria eventually, Daisy and Lily cautiously made their way around to Roseluck. Smiling sheepishly. The latter rubbed one of her forelegs, calming herself from more than just the pleasure of the Gaze.

“So... Rose, we’re... we’re sorry we couldn’t tell you,” she whispered, not to interrupt Master at work. “We were told that any, any mention and you would have remembered everything. We couldn’t have known if the Princess would come to check on you, or anypony else and... and even a breath about what happened could have been—”

“It’s alright, really,” Roseluck interrupted, uneasy at seeing her best friends so uncomfortable. Especially after that profound rapture they had just communally experienced. “I wasn’t making it any easier, it was just... so bizarre. Like I was underwater in my own head.”

“Definitely must have been weird,” Daisy agreed, trying to be quiet herself. “We’re glad you’re back with us. Looks like our little dare ended up as a lot more.”

Lily giggled behind her hoof. “Definitely more. Now I wonder what Master has planned for the future.”

“That’s not for us to discuss, girls. Only to enact,” Roseluck reminded them.

“Yes, you’re right. But look at you, cautioning retainer, you. Guess that’s why the Master cherishes you so much, Rose,” Daisy told her with a wink. “You’ll definitely enjoy some nice... boons from him, just you wait.”

Roseluck felt her muzzle heating up and changing color at her friend’s daring implication. “Dee, stop it. I recall what you were talking about during the bath but I’m just one of Master’s possessions, I’m not special.”

“I think you are. Master’s special coil warmer.”

“Lil!”

The three of them suppressed giggling, Roseluck almost fanning herself. She glanced Cyrus’ way. He was murmuring something under his breath to Redheart, most likely instructing her for the immediate future. Her eager stare and fierce nodding was the more inspired when the naga lifted her chin with a graceful but commanding motion.

And Roseluck had to admit... if that would be the Master’s will, she would remain in his scales, giving them heat and comfort, for as long as he would command. What an honor that would be, to just remain in his august presence...

A few moments and orders later, ponies started leaving the greenhouse in an organized manner, by one or pairs, returning home and leaving behind only Roseluck and her friends. Cyrus finally turned to them and was met with their eager bows.

“Not the grandest of places, but there shall be time and opportunity to occupy a proper residence,” he began with a stern, but warm voice. “They have done well enough. I hope this does not interfere with them maintaining their social roles as gardeners and florists?”

Daisy quickly shook her head. “No, Master, not at all, we can maintain work with our patches outside and—”

“Wondrous,” Cyrus interrupted, rendering her silent. “Now the Slave and Slave Lily leave. Roseluck, you shall remain here.”

She felt a surge of excitement coursing through her. And her friends still exchanged impish glances with her.

It was enough to be rewarded with Master’s very attention, anything additional... no, she was unworthy of it.

When the doors closed, she saw Cyrus looking about, taking in the place, slowly slithering towards a pile of leathers and cushions that have been prepared for him.

“I feel like an exotic specimen in a display...” he uttered with a mixture of embarrassment and amusement. “To think the son of Dharhyushs would have to hide like a burglar in the moonlit gardens...”

Roseluck dared to step forth, hearing his tone. “Master... this is temporary. A-and for your safety. Surely, whatever you are planning share bear fruit and you will find yourself in a dwelling more befitting you and your magnificence.”

He glanced back at her with a smile that she could have described as... wistful. “A Slave encouraging the Master?”

She felt her ears folding as she lowered her head, embarrassed. “I... I’ve overstepped, Master, I...”

“No, my Roseluck...” he told her, making his way to the prepared resting place. “You have not, for being a Slave is not your role. Nor is it my will.” He hissed, slowly burying himself in the mound of fabric and fur, only to emerge on the other side. “Wondrous... the heat and the humidity... Even in such a lowly place it is a blessing, by the Endless Coils...”

Roseluck smiled, hearing that. Master’s joy was her joy, after all. And his glance her way filled her to the brim with happiness.

And when he beckoned her to join him, her heart pounded in her chest.

She gingerly found her place by his side, though not allowing herself to relax. What if he needed something else? She needed to be ready, constantly.

He spotted her eagerness and chuckled, his muscular torso rising up from the bedding steadily and nearing her. “You are yet another blessing, my Roseluck. Of the kind I shall pay great attention to,” he said and she looked up at his majestic visage.

“Th-thank you, Master...” she whispered, fighting his breathtaking closeness, his statuesque build making her shiver.

“Now, I want you to pay attention...” he hissed almost seductively... and his eyes filled with the three colors of his Gaze.

Roseluck drank from them, she gorged herself on this feeling, the vertigo taking her to unobstructed heights of bliss in but a moment. She felt her lips parting, letting out a coo of sheer delight. She could feel the mesmerizing stare working its way through her mind, reaching every corner, every nook of it, filling it with pleasure that could not possibly be understood.

She was almost on the verge of panting, so vivid, so visceral and potent the enchantment felt. So eager was she to embrace it all. All that Cyrus was generous to give her, as her Master, her monarch, her god.

His voice, in her head, sounded as clear as the sweetest of melodies and as mighty as a crack of thunder. “Awaken, my Servant.”

A jolt traversed her nerves, evoking a gasp, a shudder, a spasm. She felt herself falling upon the furs, exhausted, satisfied and heaving... in the best... in the...

... in the worst possible way.

For her mind shed the shackles of the Gaze. And freed, realized its position.

She found herself thinking. Again. Finally. As herself. Not this... this... this puppet he had turned her into!

She recalled it. She recalled everything. When he ordered her to be obedient through his hypnosis. To forget. To be docile and act as befitting his plan! She remembered her day, her struggles as a prisoner of her own mind and body! Sedated, drugged by his vile magic! Those glimpses of consciousness trying their best to evoke reason in her, to get her out of this slavery, they were now so obvious, so desperate!

She kept her eyes closed, fighting the urge to scream, to run, to cry. She was herself again... as much as she could. Which meant that she had to keep fighting, like she had been. There was no other way. Not when she was already so deep in his grasp.

Speaking of which... she felt Cyrus’ arm encompassing her in a gesture that was meant to be reassuring, but felt only invasive and revolting to her.

“You’re surely tired, my Roseluck... To return from a Slave’s state is draining, I understand. But now you are again my Servant. And I shall take care of you as it befits you,” she heard him whispering, his snake tongue dancing around the tip of her ear.

She wanted to scream. To wail. To kick and bite and...! And...!

... she had to withstand this. If she were to ever have a chance. If her friends would ever have a chance.

“Thank you, Master...” she but murmured, in the disgusting tone of weary gratefulness.

Cyrus simply moved closer to feel her heat against himself. Like a giant, blue leech, feeding off of her.

“Now sleep. Find your rest,” he whispered gently.

No. She would not find her rest.

Not until she would find her freedom.