• Published 23rd Nov 2018
  • 611 Views, 7 Comments

Crash Landing - TheUnknownPerson



After being brought to an unknown facility, Rarity and three other ponies must endure experiments and tests of different kinds. Meanwhile, the leader of the facility has taken a certain interest in Rarity, almost taking her for herself, in a way.

  • ...
 7
 611

Day #1

Nova jolted awake with a gasp. The dizziness and confusion he had felt earlier were gone; now the only thing that remained was fear. He rushed up to his hooves, tripping over his own cloth cloak, somehow tied around his neck. Quickly correcting himself, he paused and lifted the cloak off of the ground, taking care as to not scuff or tear his black and blue prized possession. He threw it back over his back and shoulders, tying it at the base of his neck. Sis gave me this. Good thing she's still with me. He smiled.

"But I don't remember wearing this when I..." He looked back up to the pod. It was shut now.

Who the hay did that?

Before anyone, let alone himself, had any time to answer, a loud buzz went through the speaker.

"Subject #004, please enter the room to your right. Subject #003, please enter the room on your left. Failure to comply will result in punishment."

"Wh-what punishment?"

"You'd rather not know." The same stallion that had awoken him previously had interrupted the electronic voice. Nova took a nervous gasp of air before he headed to the door on his right. He stopped in front of the door.

What if this is a trap? Or-or an ambush? His heart rose up to his throat with fear.

"Subject #004, enter the room now. I can have a guard or my nurse come in there and force you in there if you don't do it yourself."

"I-I'm going, okay?" Nova tried to sound brave, but with his voice weak and cracking, he failed spectacularly. He quickly pushed inside, bringing his forehooves up as he entered.

"Um... pardon me?"

Nova peeked over his hoof. A beautiful mare stood in front of him, her coat as white and clean as porcelain. Her long, purple mane curled just under her shoulder. She smelled of roses and lilacs, with a slight tinge of sweet gooseberries. Don't make a fool of yourself... Nova warned as he dropped his hoof, taking a nervous swallow.

"Who-who are you?" He blushed, brushing his mane up flat to his head and behind his ears as he glanced away.

"My name is Rarity. What about you, darling?"

Rarity? There was something familiar about that name.

"Nova. I'm sorry-- have we met?"

"Hmm... No, I'm afraid not. Why do you ask?"

"I could've sworn..." Nova finally realized where he had seen her. "You were that mare at the Canterlot Carousel the day it opened! Now I remember!"

"Oh, yes." Rarity giggled. "So many years ago... Did you purchase anything there?"

"Not personally. My sister bought me this cloak when it opened."

"Ah, I see..." Rarity took a step closer to him. She gently grabbed onto an edge of the fabric. "Would you mind?"

Nova's horn glowed with his dark blue magic aura. It quickly untied his cloak, guiding it to Rarity.

"Ah, yes. This was one I had sent from Ponyville earlier. Although, you must've grown some since then, yes?"

"Mhm. We had it extended a few times."

"Professionally or otherwise?"

"My sis did it herself." He claimed with his chest poking out slightly, proud of his sister's accomplishment.

"Honestly?" Rarity looked up at him, surprised. Nova nodded. "Wow! The craftsmanship is magnifique! And the extensions are almost... seamless, for lack of a better term." She chuckled. "Surely she's considered sewing and dressmaking as a career? Because with such craftsmanship like this..."

Nova turned downwards. "She's been... indisposed, as of late." His face contorted into something resembling a frown. Discomfort and sadness wearing his happiness down.

"I'm sincerely sorry to hear that. It's quite a shame, too." Rarity's light blue magic held the cloak up. "Allow me." She rested it on his shoulders, tying it at the base of his neck into a little bow. Nova glanced downwards. The topic had made him understandably uncomfortable.

"I must apologize. I never intended for this conversation to become like this."

"I-I understand. You can't have known." Nova had become reluctant to even speak to the mare standing in front of him. Rarity sighed as she sat down in front of him, befuddled. There had to be something else she could do to comfort the stallion, or at least to get him to talk more. He was the first pony she had seen since she had arrived here, and she wasn't about to let him slip through her hooves so easily.

"If it helps at all, I've had a close friend that I've lost too." Rarity said somberly, trying to empathize with the poor stallion.

"I-I heard." Nova crossed his hooves over his chest.

Rarity nodded somberly. "It was a shame. We never should've let her venture so far... I assume you know the rest of the story..."

"I'm sorry. I couldn't imagine something like that happening to my sister... just disappearing like that..." He spoke softly. "I don't know how I'd sleep at night..."

"We tried to follow her, but neither Princess Celestia nor Princess Luna let us follow her. It was too late."

"I'm so sorry."

Rarity nodded before taking a moment of silence.

"Sorry... it's been so long since I've thought of you as an Element of Harmony... of any of you, really."

"Oh, it's no problem at all." She smiled politely. "Even I forget at times. It's been so long since we've been actually met and had a proper conversation." Her head turned towards the floor, her radiant smile dimming slightly. "We really haven't had a proper meeting in years..."

"Y-You know, if it makes you feel any better, my sister and I always looked up to the Elements of Harmony."

"Oh, is that so?"

"Yeah, I'd be surprised to find a little filly or colt who didn't back then." He laughed. "I always preferred Twilight, what with her wit and magic. She made it look easy, and here I am barely able to perform mid-level magic." Nova smiled, remembering back to what seemed to be simpler times. "Not to take away from you or the rest, of course. My sister especially looked up to you."

"Oh- stop it!" She waved him off. "You'll make me blush!"

"No, really," He leaned towards her excitedly. "She'd always try and imitate your mannerisms, try to make your dresses, style her mane like yours... She wanted to try and see you the next time you came to the Carousel Canterlot, but that was before..." Nova trailed away from the thought, his mind returning to the unwanted thoughts. Rarity pursed her lips for a moment, before pulling him close.

"Listen, darling, whatever is going on with your sister, don't remain idle after you get out of here. You simply don't know just what might happen."

"I-I won't, I promise."

A calm, tense silence came over the room.

Nova, surprisingly, was the first to speak. "I should go. It-it was nice meeting you.” He stood, trotting back to his door.

"Likewise." Rarity said, standing as well. "We'll meet each other again, hopefully. Farewell." She finished before she hastily made her exit. Nova entered back into his room. However, to his surprise, his room wasn't the same as before.


Eclipse hummed quietly, looking up towards the poster. A small, white pony sat behind a DJ's booth, wearing her iconic blue glasses. She scratched at the discs playing on the table, shrouded in purple light.

"Ah... interested in the DJ PON-3 show?"

The voice was warm, welcoming, yet calm. Her body recognized it, a small smile on her face as she turned to meet it, yet her mind was a few moments behind. She couldn't quite place it, yet she definitely knew who he was.

"Mmhm." Her ponytail swung as she turned her body to her friend.

"Mind if I come over tonight? Ma's out of town this week, so I don't want to just be sitting at the house for the rest of the night."

"Sure." She smiled. "Mom and dad are supposed to go on a date night once I get home, so we'll probably have the house to ourselves for the night."

"Great, thanks."

"So, when's the show coming?"

"Next week, on the fifth. Tickets are 50 bits a piece."

"I think I can scrounge up some extra cash. The drill sarge pays ponies who clean up the stallion's dorms seven bits an hour."

"Nice, I have mine covered already."

"Good, good." He leaned in towards the poster, his face a blur. "Wonder if the real deal is as cute as this is."

"Oh, can it!" She chuckled, exiting the training academy. Her right wing reached back behind her head, pulling her scrunchie out and hanging it on her brown saddlebag. Her short mane fell to her side.

"I'm serious! Think about the possibilities, E!"

"Yeah, the possibility of you getting thrown out..." She chuckled. The warm, orange glow of the sun kissed her skin.

"Or... free tickets to her concerts!"

"And why would she do that? Why should she even pay any attention to you while she's running a show?"

"Because..." He paused for a moment, lifting a hoof to slick his mane back. "What mare doesn't like a member of the royal guard? C'mon, you protect the princesses, you have your own spear, and you've got that shiny armor."

Eclipse laughed aloud, barely able to contain herself. "R- Right!" She wheezed. "So you and I are gonna get free stuff just cause she likes you! Good luck!"

"Well, it sounds worse when you put it like that..." He mumbled under his breath. "Even if we don't get into the show free, it's still gonna be awesome."

"That's for certain..." She breathed, wiping tears from her eyes. "Alright, Casanova, you think you're so hot, why don't you put your money where your mouth is "

"And how would you like me to do that?"

"If you can get a kiss from anypony at the academy, I'll pay for your ticket, and whatever drinks or food you want at the place. You don't, and you have to pay for my ticket, and whatever food and drinks I want there. "

"Hope you've got some money saved up then!" He grinned. She waved him away, shaking her head.

"Mmhm." She nodded. "We should probably hurry, actually. Mom and dad don't like to leave unless there's somepony there to watch my little brother."

"Right, right, let's..." He stopped suddenly, allowing her to walk in front of him. That's... weird. She turned back.

"What's wrong?

"Um..." His voice shook and his smile disappeared, swallowing audibly. Her smile slowly crept away. The blurriness in his face had begun to clear. She could finally recognize him.

"Alto?" She stepped in front of him. "Alto, what's wrong?"

"Y... Your house..."

"What do you-" Eclipse paused, realizing what he was speaking about. She turned around, a horrified gasp ripped from her.

Her family's home had been set ablaze. The roof was covered in flames, the glass windows at the side blown out from the heat, with fire covered the sill. The flames danced along the trim of the door, the wood beside it sagging slightly.

"How..." Her eyes snapped wide. "Mom, dad!" She sprinted toward the house.

"Eclipse, wait!"


Alto gasped, jolting up with a scream. "Eclipse!"

"A... Alto?"

Alto quickly jerked to his right. Eclipse had been sat beside him. The weight of Equestria had been lifted up off his shoulders. With a relieved chuckled, he pulled her into a hug.

"It's so good to see you again." He smiled.

"You too." She whispered, though she clearly didn't sound happy.

"It feels like it's been years since we spoke."

"Mmhm." She released him, bringing her head back up. Her voice sounded distant, and she was teary-eyed.

"What's wrong?"

"I..." Her eyes shut tight. "I dreamt about... it..."

His throat became tight, his mouth becoming dry.

"I... did too."

"What?" She looked at him. He nodded.

"I'm... sorry for-"

"Were the two of you afraid?" The stallion over the intercom interjected. Scribblings of a pencil quickly jotting down notes played under his voice. "For research purposes, of course."

Alto growled, turning towards the sound of his voice. "Sick! You're sick!"

Eclipse grabbed his hoof. "It's fine, trust me." She sighed, standing up. "I was fine."

"Really? Because according to your vital signs whilst you were asleep, your heart rate elevated during your REM phase of sleep. Higher than an average pony's, in fact. Your heart rate was even higher, Subject #001. So either you're both not as healthy as you let on, which I doubt, or you're lying to me."

"How do you know?" Eclipse inquired. If they could tell her heart rate and what type of sleep she was in a matter of mere moments, what else could they do?

"That's for me to know, and for you to hopefully never find out." He chuckled. Alto growled. "Oh, don't worry. It's just throwaway data for the computer. Gets deleted after a few days. That is unless something interesting happens. It goes on this baby--" He patted the top of something metal, with the clear tink of his hoof making audible contact. "Or my trusty little notebook."

"Why?"

"You'll see in a few hours." The stallion gasped. "Oh, almost forgot. I need to wake up the other two subjects. Keep talking while you can, you only have a few minutes left before you must separate."

"Switching to all room frequency."


Nova ran up the brick staircase to his home, his cloak pulled over his head. His fur was soaked, his mane clinging to his forehead. Dear Celestia. The one day I forget my coat, and it rains...

He pushed the cloak back down from his shoulders, using a cloud of his magic to wipe his mane up from his eyes. "Static! You here?!" He called out, his voice bouncing off the wooden floors and panels on the walls. "I'm back from the academy. I-I didn't pick anything up, so we can cook if you'd like."

Yet again, silence.

"Or I can pick something up." Nova sighed, hanging his cloak up on that metal coatrack to his right. She's probably still with Ms. de Lis. He headed out into the living room. With only two ponies living there, there wasn't a need for much; just two loveseats and an old recliner in the corner, right next to a window. The kitchen was to his left, opened up to them and separated by a single step. He slowly walked up to the ragged chair, stopping in front of it. The seat smelled of musky cologne. Dunno why grandpa always had that stuff on... guess I'm kinda glad he did now. It gave us something to remember him by.

He ran a hoof over the seat, feeling the worn cloth. Years of use had removed any fluff or comfort from it, leaving it to be but a hollow shell of its former glory. He used to just sit at the window and watch it when it'd storm... "That's y'all's ma up there, makin' all that racket!" He grinned. I miss seeing him here. He'd have loved this.

Nova looked up towards the window, staring through the blurriness of the rain washing over the window and up at the storm clouds above. I wonder if she'd have liked this... if she'd have liked... me.

"You killed one of the only ponies I've ever loved!" He could hear his sister's voice. They had been getting into more and more arguments lately.

Grandpa's passing was so hard on her... she's been so angry...

His eyes wandered down from the window, his vision clouded. He wiped his eyes, but it seemed like his mind still had more torment in store for the poor boy. I-I never meant to...

Nova stomped his right forehoof, straightening his shoulders and planting his hooves firmly on the ground. Stop it! Grandpa wouldn't want to see you like this. Static wouldn't either, so stop it!

He stayed as calm and composed as he could for a moment, before relaxing, lowering his shoulders. His head turned back to the window, looking up at the storm clouds.

I just... wish I had the chance to meet you. To just talk to you, even if it's only a day.

Nova slowly stepped away from the window, heading away from the chair and past the loveseats. He stepped into the kitchen, walking towards the small fridge in the corner.

Looking like another scrambled eggs night-

His thoughts came to a screeching halt at the sight of his sister, lying face down on the kitchen floor.

"Static?!" He rushed up to her.

"No!" Nova fell to his knees, shaking her. "Static, get up!"

"Hmm..." A mare's voice noted, quiet, and calculated.

"Please help!" He beckoned to the mare, not even bothering to look at her.

"Perhaps this one may interest us."

"Please miss, she's-"

He stopped suddenly, seeing a dark purple eye peering down at him. The figure hulked over him, at least two or three times his size. His heart skipped a beat.

"What's the matter?" She asked. "Speak. We cannot gauge your use if you don't speak."

Nova swallowed, grabbing his sister, and pulling her close, hugging her.

"W-Who are you?"

She remained silent, silently stepping to his side. He pulled Static even closer as she approached him, her head resting in on his chest. "Protective... attentive, academically sharp." She rambled on. "Yet, cowardly... weak, socially naive."

"What do you want?"

"..." She stopped in front of him, staring down at him.

"H- How did you-"

Dark purple magic suddenly ripped his sister out of his hooves, holding her in the air above.

"Hey!" Nova jumped up, pushing against the mare. "Let her go!"

"No." She replied plainly. "She's of use to us. We'll take her unless you think you can do something."

He kicked at her hooves, his assault bouncing off of them as if they were made of steel. Nova backed up, aiming towards her head and readying his magic.

A bolt of magic shot out of his horn, moving quickly towards her face. She calmly tipped her head down, just enough for her horn to take the brunt of the shot. However, the magic just seemed to... vanish. Like it had never been cast in the first place. Just... gone.

Nova stared up at her, wide-eyed. Her horn flickered and spark. "His magic is nothing special..." She noted. "How disappointing." She dropped his sister, her body landing with a thud. He glanced over at her, then to the mare above.

"P-Please, don't-"

Before he had the chance to finish, she turned to Static, pointing her horn at her as a ball of her dark purple magic formed.

"You'd better be useful to us. Otherwise, we'll make this nightmare a become reality."


Nova's eyes shot open. He was back in his cell, leaning on the door he had exited from.

It was just a dream... Nova released a relieved sigh.

"Subject #003, lay in your room, flat on your stomach with your hooves out. A staff member will arrive shortly."

Rarity? He was confused. Why do they want her?


Rarity had been blindfolded. Nurse Cura had taken her by her hoof, leading her.

"Are you sure this is really necessary, miss?"

"If I wasn't sure, I wouldn't have you blindfolded now, would I?"

"Must you be so impolite?"

"Lady, if you know who I was and what I've had to do, you'd be a little cranky too." Nurse Cura said as she stopped. "Wait here. Try to run, and the Administrator will deal out your punishment herself." She walked away, her horseshoes clacking and clicking as she stepped away. A door creaked open.

"She's ready." Nurse Cura said aloud. Her clicking shoes came closer, taking her hoof and pulling her up a few stairs. She pushed Rarity forward, a sudden burst of cold air rushing past her, a door slamming behind her.

"Hello?"

The blindfold slipped off her head, sliding down her shoulder, falling to the ground. A single dark purple eye stared her down. Rarity's throat suddenly began to dry as the uncanny, light purple eye watched her like a hawk, a slight excitement about her. The clock ticked onward as they stared at each other.

"Sit, if you will."

Rarity dared not to immediately anger the intimidating mare sitting down in front of her. The two remained silent, with Rarity straightening her posture as best she could. I mustn't be sloppy. This seems like an important mare. she reminded herself as she cleared her throat.

"Would you like a drink? Perhaps some tea?" The Administrator offered. An elegant, porcelain teapot floated up, carried by dark purple magic. The teapot sparkled dimly in the light, the surface perfectly smooth, yet dusty. It was clear that they weren't put to use very often. Gold etching circled around the teapot, starting at the beginning and end of the handle. Two teacups followed quickly behind it, having similar golden etching at the bottom. The handle of the first had been cracked slightly

Rarity simply nodded. Best not to decline such a polite offer from such an intimidating mare.

"Good. No sugar, just black, correct?"

Rarity nodded again, although with a slightly uneasy feeling about her. She waited patiently as the Administrator prepared their cups, placing one at the front of the desk and the other in front of herself.

"It's truly good to see you again. How are you doing here?" The Administrator inquired as she poured Rarity's tea into her cup. Steam rose from the deep black liquid as she topped off the cup. Rarity's eyes snapped up to the Administrator's.

"F-Fine." Rarity stated plainly, keeping a straight face and a strong voice.

"Just fine?" The Administrator glanced up, giving her a mixed stare. One part concern, one part annoyance. Her eye darkened, the iris becoming narrow, almost catlike. The clock's ticking suddenly began to slow, yet didn't stop. "Not wonderful, not magnifique, not remarkable, just... fine?" The handle of the teapot cracked slightly at the base, running up the spout as the magic cloud tightening around

"No, no," Rarity leaned forward, somehow keeping her voice from breaking with fear. "It is not horrendous or atrocious, it's simply... not home."

The magic around the handle loosened. Her eye lightened, the iris spreading as it returned to its previous state. "Ah... we see. You're homesick." the Administrator's magic lifted the pot as her teacup filled, resting it on the side before moving to the cup, taking a small sip of the piping hot drink.

"That's a perspective you could view it from..."

The Administrator swallowed the tea before speaking again. "Well, we're afraid that there isn't much we can do. We must finish our little tests on you first."

Rarity nodded, although not happily, before quietly taking a sip from her cup.

"The Canterlot Carousel and the Carousel Boutique are doing well, according to our sources." The Administrator stated before taking a sip. "You must really be able to afford that lavish lifestyle you always wanted, hm? Of course, a lot of that profit goes to H.O.O.F and to charities. And of course, let's not forget the Pony Tones." She chortled lightly. "On the front pages of fashion magazines, recognized throughout Equestria for your generosity and charity... you're rather big in the world now, aren't you?"

Rarity felt a lump form in her throat. Now that's a little... a-a little frightening. she allowed herself a moment of frightened weakness, before bringing herself down to reality. No, you are a lady, you are above this! You cannot allow this- this charlatan to get to you! She's done her research, that's it.

"And Sweetie Belle just got a scholarship, of course. If memory serves, it should be somewhere around Ponyville... Odd how we cannot find a name..." She huffed. "Regardless, how couldn't she with all exemplary scores throughout her last couple of years." The Administrator lifted her teacup to her lips, taking a final gulp of tea.

Rarity's heart dropped. Only a select few ponies had heard about it, and certainly not to anyone who would've been involved with her.

There's no possible way she... she truly could know... who... what is this... this thing?

"Well, it has been nice catching up." She stood. Her eye darkened, her iris returning to its catlike state. The clock stopped ticking. "But we must get to work."

Black, slimy tendrils suddenly flew over Rarity's hooves, led by a dark purple magic. She looked up to the Administrator, struggling in her bindings. The leather straps refused to budge or buckle under her strength.

"Hm... we wonder how long you'll last."