• Published 28th Sep 2016
  • 1,257 Views, 3 Comments

Children of the Star-Another Sunset - Grey Ghost



The story of human Sunset, as she goes through life under her father's care

  • ...
4
 3
 1,257

Be Cruel To Your School

“Dad! I’m home!” Sunset called as she stepped into their home. The recently turned eleven year old kicked off her shoes, dropping her backpack onto the couch.

“Your father is gone!” A booming voice echoed through the house. “To get him back you must answer three riddles!”

“Oh yeah? What kinda riddles?” Sunset asked, putting her hands on her hips.

“What is your name?” the voice asked.

Sunset rolled her eyes, a hint of a smile on her face. “Sunset Shimmer.”

“What is your quest?”

“To catch them,” Sunset responded.

“And what… is the average airspeed of an unladen swallow?” the voice asked.

“Zebrican or European?” Sunset shot back.

“...I don’t- gah!” the voice got cut off. A moment later her father stepped out from a hidden door, chuckling.

“Hey Sunny, do you like the hidden speaker system I set up in the house?” he asked with a grin.

“It’ll be great for Halloween.” She nodded, stepping up and giving him a tight hug.

“My thoughts exactly,” he replied, his grin growing as he returned the hug. “How was your day at school, Sunny? Did you have fun?”

“Always.” She pulled away, beaming up at him.

“That's good.” He ruffled her hair, much to her chagrin. “Why don’t you go get changed? We have something important to talk about.”

“Okay,” she replied as she fixed her hair. “Should I be worried or excited about this?”

“Depends on how you look at it.” He gave her a light push. “Now go on and get changed.” Sunset rolled her eyes and rushed up to her room. She took off her Sleipnir Academy uniform and hung it up. She then pulled on a blouse with a red and yellow sun on it, a pair of jeans and a pair of black flats. She then rode the banister down to her father.

“Alright, I’m all changed. So what did you want to talk about?”

“I got called to your school today,” he began, leading her into the den. He sat down on the recliner, gesturing for her to take a seat on the couch.

“Huh, why?” Sunset asked, genuinely confused. “Dad, I haven’t done anything bad.”

“I know you haven’t.” He gave her a reassuring smile. “As it turns out, you’re too smart for the school.”

“Huh?” Sunset asked, blinking. “What does that mean?”

“What it means Sunset, is that the Academy just can’t give you what you need anymore,” he leaned forward, adjusting his glasses. “You haven’t gotten anything less than a perfect grade on any of your assignments, barring your first year.”

“Well, between you and Mom, it’s kinda hard not to get good grades,” Sunset said with a giggle. “You two are constantly tutoring me while we’re in the greenhouse or the workshop.”

“Sweetheart, they want to move you up to Fenrir High.”

“...But I’m eleven,” Sunset said with a gulp. “I wouldn’t fit in with all those older kids.”

“I can’t say that it’ll be easy, but, if you do this, you could get into college before you’re sixteen.”

“...Do you think it’s a good idea?” she asked, looking up at her father with a nervous look.

“It’s an opportunity I didn’t have.” He got up, sitting next to her. “I can’t tell you what to do here Sunny, this is up to you. But if you choose to stay at the Academy, your mother and I won’t think any less of you, I promise.”

“C-can I go back to the Academy if I don’t like it at Fenrir High?” Sunset asked, toying with the bottom of her blouse.

“Of course you can.” He wrapped his arm around her shoulders. “We’d never force you to be somewhere you’d rather not be.”

“Then I’ll do it,” Sunset said with a nod. “I mean, I might actually like it there.” She smiled weakly.

“It’ll take a few days to get you transferred over.” He pulled out his PDA. “You’ll finish the week out at the Academy and by Monday, you’ll be a bonafide High Schooler.”

“Okay, I can’t wait for Monday,” she said, chuckling nervously. Star frowned, putting a hand on her shoulder.

“Sunny, you don’t have to do this if you don’t want to.”

“I want to try, Dad,” Sunset said. “I’m nervous, but I want to see if I can do this. I want to make you and Mom proud.”

“We’re already proud of you,” he assured her, pulling her close and planting a kiss on her forehead.

“I still want to try,” she said. “I mean, this could be a good thing for me, right?”

“Exactly.” He nodded. “Now, on a lighter note, you got a letter from Lemon Zest.” He pulled it out from his sleeve, offering it to her.

“Lemon sent me a letter?!” Sunset asked, a smile exploding across her face. She grabbed it and carefully opened it. She pored over the letter, taking in every word. “Her family finally got a computer!” Sunset paused, looking over at Star. “Is it okay if I give her my contact information?”

“Of course it’s okay to give her that,” Star said. “She’s your sister, isn’t she?”

“Thanks! I’mma go write her back!” Sunset scurried upstairs, flopping on her bed. She pulled out a pen and paper from her bedside table and started to write her response. She smiled at the thought of exchanging emails with Lemon.

“Sunny!” A squeaky voice called and before she knew it, a miniature person jumped on her bed, hugging her.

“Hercules,” Sunset said with a chuckle and returned the hug. “I’m happy to see you too, little bro.” She squeezed the three year old gently.

“I missed you,” Hercules said, looking up at her.

“Well I’m here now,” she said, patting his head. “Just let me finish this letter to Lemon and we can play any game you want, okay?”

“Okay!” He let go of her, swinging his feet over the side of her bed. She smiled at him and went back to her letter. Once she was done she put it on her night stand and looked down at her brother.

“Okay, I’m ready to play,” she told him. “Got anything in mind?"

“Super Smash Sisters!” Hercules cheered.

“Alright, give me a moment to hook it up.” Sunset slid off her bed, moving over to her TV stand. She hooked up the game system and put the game in. She then patted a spot on the floor next to her and held a controller out to him.

“I wanna be Mewtwo!” Hercules beamed, taking the controller and sitting down.

“Whatever you want,” Sunset assured, taking Ganondorf. Sunset then put up two computers, changed the settings to stock and hit the random choice in the stage select.

She didn't go easy on him per se, she was very much convinced he had no idea how to play, but they still had a lot of fun.

“Aww, Sunny, you’re too good,” Hercules pouted as she knocked him off the screen again.

“You’ll get better,” she assured, poking his cheek.

“Yeah!” He beamed. “I jus gotta pwactice!” He then turned to her and smiled. She giggled, pulling him into a hug.

“You sound just like me you know that?” She asked, gazing down at him.

“Well, I’m your bwother.” he climbed into her lap, giving her a tight hug.

“Yeah, you are,” she said, returning the hug. “And I bet you’ll be even smarter than Dad and me one day.”

“I’ll be da smartist!” He declared, looking up at her.

“Yeah you will,” she agreed. “I bet you’ll get into High School even earlier than I am.” She giggled at his enthusiasm.

“High Scool?” he asked curiously.

“Yeah, next week I’m being sent up a few grades,” she said, stroking his head. “I’ll be hanging up my Sleipnir Academy uniform for good soon. Heh… it should be fun.”

“Sounds scawy.”

“It is a little bit, but I’m gonna give it a shot,” she said. “Sometimes you gotta do scary things. Like when Dad took you to the dentist.” She poked his stomach with a grin. He eeped, covering his mouth. “Heh, we’re not going to the dentist, little bro. But thanks, you’re making me feel better about all this.”

“Yay! I helped!” He cheered, giving her .another hug.

“Yeah you did,” she said, smiling and ruffling his hair. “Wanna play some more?”

“Yes pwease!” he chirped, grabbing his controller. The two continued to play, both of them enjoying themselves.

“Hercules, Sunset, Dinner!” June called out.

“Come on, let's go eat.” Sunset hefted Hercules up, carrying him downstairs.

“Yay!” Hercules cheered, holding onto her as they went into the dining room.

She giggled, setting him in his high chair and buckling him in.

“There’s my two favorite people,” June said, setting up the last plate.

“Hey! What about me?” Star called from the den.

“I didn’t stutter,” June teased. “The kids you make are cuter than you. Now get in here so we can start to eat.”

“I dunno if I want to, now,” he huffed. “I don't exactly feel appreciated.”

“Uh huh, and if I told you that I made your and Sunset’s favorite tonight you wouldn’t change your mind?” she asked with a smirk.

“Maybe...” Star peeked his head in, looking at the table. She smiled and loaded their plates with a steak, broccoli, and mashed potatoes.

“That’s a good doctor, now the rest of you, or Hercules and Sunset get your share.” Star slinked into the kitchen, sliding into his seat. Sunset and Hercules giggled at their parents’ behavior.

“Do the two of you ever get tired of teasing each other?” Sunset asked.

“Not as long as it brings a smile to your face,” Star said, winking at her.

“Oh please, we’d still tease each other even if they groaned,” June said with a chuckle.

“Don't listen to her, she’s just in it for the attention.”

“Uh huh,” June said with a roll of her eyes. “Anyway, I heard about you skipping grades today.” She turned to Sunset. “Good job, Sunny.”

“Thanks.” Sunset nodded, looking down at her food. “I’m a little nervous about the whole thing.”

“I know you are, but how would you feel about a shopping trip at the mall to celebrate your achievement?” June asked with a warm smile.

“Really?” Sunset perked up. “I’d like that a lot, Mom.”

“Good, you deserve a reward for all your hard work.” June started to cut up Hercules’s food.

“And while you ladies are out having fun, I'll take Herc to the playground.” Star winked at the boy, a smile on his face.

“Yay! Swing, swing!” Hercules cheered, bouncing in his chair.

“That's tomorrow, now it’s dinner time.” June calmed him down, putting his plate in front of him.

“No bwoccowi,” Hercules whined, covering his mouth at the sight of the vegetable.

“Come on now, you wanna grow up to be like your daddy right?” June asked, being patient.

“I have an idea,” Sunset said with a smile. “Herc, broccoli breath keeps dentists away.”

“Weally?” Herc asked cautiously, glancing down at the offending vegetable.

“Yup, everyone knows that dentists can’t stand the smell of broccoli.” Sunset nodded sagely.

“Okay...” Herc conceded, finally starting to eat.

“That’s a good boy,” June cooed, stroking his head. She turned to Sunset. “Thanks, Sunny, that was some quick thinking.”

“No problem, Mom.” Sunset beamed, tearing into her own food with gusto.

“I don’t know if I should be happy you enjoy my food so much, or admonish you for your lack of manners,” June commented with an exaggerated sigh.

“You make really good food,” Sunset protested.

“It’s true,” Star chimed in as he dipped a piece of steak in steak sauce. “Even I have a hard time containing myself due to how good your food is.”

“Good food!” Herc chimed in, grinning up at a bemused June.

“Alright, I get it,” June chuckled, “I’m a good cook. Now please stop praising me before my head swells to the size of Jupiter.”

“Only ‘cause you asked nicely.” Sunset beamed, taking another bite of her steak. The four then enjoyed a quiet meal, Herc eating every bit of his broccoli to keep the dentist away.

The week passed, and Sunset found herself standing at the doors of Fenrir High. She gulped, watching as the older students piled into the building. She steeled herself and walked inside.

“Um...hello.” Sunset walked up to the front desk, getting the Secretary's attention. “I’m Sunset Shimmer, a new student. Can I get my schedule please?” She asked with a weak smile.

“Oh! You're the transfer!” He stood up, grabbing a folder. “We’ve been waiting for you all week.”

“Well, I’m here now,” Sunset replied, chuckling nervously as she gently took the folder.

“Do you need me to walk you to your first class?”

“Um, I think just some directions will be fine,” she replied, opening the folder and looking at her schedule. The secretary went over it quickly with her, sending her on her way. She thanked him and exited the office. She walked down the hall and up a flight of stairs. She pushed open a door and walked into her first classroom.

She gulped, suddenly finding all eyes on herself. She did her best to ignore the eyes on her and found an empty seat. She pulled out her supplies and tried to hide behind them.

“You must be Sunset Shimmer,” the teacher spoke up. He was tall, his skin orange and his hair blue. “Could you please come to the front of the class.” She nodded slowly and stood up, robotically walking up to stand at the front of the room. “Class, this is Sunset Shimmer. She’ll be joining us from Sleipnir Academy.” This caused the class to start whispering and Sunset had to keep herself from trembling.

“I know she's younger than all of you, but I hope you’ll make her feel welcome.” He gave Sunset a smile, gesturing for her to return to her desk. She took her seat and took a deep breath to calm herself down.

She poured herself into the work, doing her best to ignore the looks of her classmates. The bell eventually rang and she quickly rushed to her next class. She looked at her schedule again to remind herself of her next class. She saw that it was Algebra but wasn’t looking where she was going and crashed into someone.

“Ya alright?” A masculine voice asked.

“Y-yeah, I’m fine,” Sunset said, picking herself and her spilled schedule up. “I’m sorry about that, I should’ve watched where I was going.” She looked up at the person she crashed into.

He was tall, with blue hair and orange skin. “Don’t worry about it. Ya new?”

“Did the manilla folder give it away?” Sunset asked with a weak smile, waving the folder the secretary gave her a little.

“A little, I’m Alias, nice to meet you.” He smiled, holding his hand out.

“I’m Sunset,” she replied, shaking his hand. “And likewise. Also, you kinda look like the teacher I just had,” she noted, looking at his skin and hair.

“That's my dad, Anonymous. Luckily, I don't have him this year.”

“Ouch, I can’t imagine having your dad working at the school you go to is fun,” she said, wincing. “My grandpa’s a professor at Canterlot University. So, guess which college I’m not going to?”

“They move ya up from the Academy?” he asked, looking her over.

“Well, I guess I wanted to get out of school so much that I decided to skip a few grades,” she joked, chuckling nervously.

“What's your next class?” He asked, giving her an easy smile.

“It’s Algebra,” she answered, relaxing slightly from his smile.

“Ya know the way?”

“I think so,” she replied. “The guy in the office gave me a rundown of where all my classes are.”

“Better hurry, don't wanna be late.” He smiled again, moving past her and walking down the hallway. She blinked and looked at the clock in the hall. She then rushed down the hall and entered her next classroom just as the bell rang.

“Cutting it close, huh?” the teacher asked, a look of mirth on her face.

“Sorry,” Sunset said as she took a seat. “I uh… got a little turned around. It won’t happen again, ma’am.”

“Don't worry too much about it,” she assured, “I'm Ms. Citrine, a pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise,” Sunset replied, pulling out her textbook and binder.

“Why don't you introduce yourself to the class?” Ms.Citrine suggested. Sunset nodded and stood up.

“I’m Sunset Shimmer and… I just got sent up from Sleipnir Academy. So… guess that makes me a giant nerd,” she joked with a weak smile. She got a few laughs, which served to relax her nerves.

“Very nice,” Ms. Citrine said. “Now, let’s begin our lesson.” Sunset sat back down, glad to lose herself in math. The bell rang again and this time she didn’t rush out of the room. She looked at her schedule again, saw that she had History next, and tucked her folder under her arm.

She hurried along, excusing herself several times as she bumped into people. The rest of her day progressed similarly for her with her introducing herself to her classes and her silently working through the lessons. When the final bell rang, she packed her things away and headed for the exit.

“Hey Sunset,” Alias called, jogging up to her.

“Hi Alias,” Sunset said, adjusting her backpack and turning to him. “Have a good day?”

“I was gonna ask you that.” He smiled.

“Yeah, it went better than I thought it would,” she answered. “Though I did feel like a zoo exhibit at first with the way people stared at me.”

“High school isn't like TV,” he assured her. “If anyone gives you trouble, I got your back.”

“Wow, any reason you’re being so nice to the new girl?” She asked with a smile.

“Ya remind me of my sister.” He smiled. “Catch ya later Sunny!” He spun on his heel, walking out of the building. Sunset smiled and exited the building as well.

“First day and I already made a friend,” she said to herself with a small smile. “And, I understood all the material I was given. If things keep going like this then high school won’t be so bad.”

“Hey look, it's the little genius,” a vain voice chuckled from behind her. She rolled her eyes and decided to ignore it, walking away. “Hey! I’m talking to you!” Sunset snuck a glance behind her and instantly regretted it. Behind her were three girls. One was a yellow skinned girl with a massive head of orange curls. The second was a purple girl with purple hair done up in twin tails with blue streaks in it. The final girl was a blue skinned girl with light blue hair with dark blue streaks done up in a pony tail. Each of them wore a green and gold cheerleading uniform with a wolf head on the chest.

“Look, I’m trying to get home okay?” Sunset asked, resuming her walk to the exit.

“Aww, but we just wanted to talk,” the blue girl said with a pout.

“About what?” Sunset asked, not looking back.

“Just a friendly welcome to the school,” the yellow girl said in an overly sweet tone.

“Well, now's your chance.”

“Seeing as we’re cheerleaders, we thought we’d do a little cheer for you in the gym,” the purple girl said, putting her hands on her hips.

Sunset sighed, pinching her nose. “Alright, but I hope it's quick.”

“Don’t worry, we’d need the entire team if we wanted to get complex,” the blue girl said with a giggle as the yellow girl led them back towards the school building. Sunset looked between them, frowning. They surrounded her as they walked down the halls and through a set of double doors.

“Is this necessary?” Sunset asked, trying to squeeze past them.

“Hmm?” The yellow girl asked as if she hadn’t noticed. “Sorry, we’re just walking.”

“This is was totally a bad idea...” Sunset muttered, hanging her head.

“Yeesh, you sound more negative than Aria’s poetry,” the blue girl noted as they entered the gym.

“What was that?” the purple girl growled.

“You heard me,” the blue girl said. “How many of your poems talk about ‘My cold existence’?”

“How about I show you how cold my fist is?!”

“Go for it,” the blue girl said, sticking her tongue out. “Mom said she’d send you to finishing school if you hit me again.” ‘Aria’ just seethed, looking like she was about to strangle her.

“Ignore them, they’re idiots,” the yellow girl dismissed.

“Uh... okay?” Sunset frowned. “Look, this was a nice gesture, but I gotta get home.”

“Out of curiosity, how old exactly are you?” the yellow girl asked.

“Eleven,” Sunset answered.

“Such a tender age.” She smirked, taking on a predatory look.

“Okay… now you’re creeping me out,” Sunset said, backing up to the door. “I’m just gonna go.”

“Leaving so soon?” Aria asked, standing in her way.

“Um… look, I don’t want any trouble,” Sunset said, gulping.

“You started it the moment you came here,” big hair scoffed, grabbing her backpack and giving it a hard tug. Sunset let out an eep, falling on her butt from the tug. “See, we’re the big fish around here. We can't have some little girl come in and steal our thunder.”

“Why don't you just hop back on your mommas tit?” Aria asked, glaring down at her. Sunset glared up at her for that comment.

“My mom’s dead, you bitch,” Sunset growled.

“Ooh, kitty got claws,” Aria taunted, “Gonna cry?”

“No, I stopped crying a long time ago,” Sunset replied, not faltering.

“Maybe I should give you a reason?” Aria grinned, punching her hand.

“Oh wow, you’re going to beat up someone that’s at least three years younger than you,” Sunset said with a roll of her eyes. “You must be so tough. What, did you get sick of taking candy from babies?”

Aria grit her teeth, hefting Sunset off the ground by the front of her blouse. “Say that to my face!’

“Oh, okay,” Sunset said. “This, this right here, isn’t tough. It’s path-” Sunset didn't finish as Aria socked her in the face.

“How about I knock your teeth out?!”

“Aria, put her down,” the yellow girl instructed, looking at her expectantly. Sunset grunted as she was dropped on the ground and felt at her nose. She winced slightly, but it didn’t seem broken. “Here's the deal, we want you out of here. Go back to the Academy like a good little girl and we won't have a problem.”

“Or, counter-offer,” Sunset said, standing up. “You leave me alone, and I don’t call the cops on you.”

“As if they’d believe you,” Yellow scoffed.

“Oh really?” Sunset asked, arching her brow. “I think they’ll believe me.” She pulled out a cellphone from her pocket and hit the buttons, her finger dangling over the call button. “So, leave me alone, or you’ll be trading in green and gold for orange.”

“Yoink!” the blue girl grinned, snatching Sunset's phone away.

“Oh no, I won’t be able to reach another phone at some point,” Sunset said, her voice oozing sarcasm.

“Look, you brat.” Yellow stormed over, towering over her. “Get out of our school our we’ll make your life hell.”

“Well, when you put it like that,” Sunset said, tapping her chin in thought. “No, I think I’ll just call the cops when I get home and keep going to school here.”

“We'll see how you feel in a few days.” Yellow smiled, patting her head before moving to the door.

“Yeah, good luck topping eating garbage and sleeping in a box,” she muttered, watching them leave.

The blue one popped back in. “Psst. Your phone.” She held it out, an apologetic smile on her face.Sunset smiled a little, and reached out to take her phone. “I’m really sorry about them. They get really mean.”

“It’s fine.” Sunset sighed and took her phone. “I’ve dealt with worse than them.”

“Still, I'm really sorry!” She reached out, giving Sunset a hug. “I'm Sonata Dusk by the way.”

“I’m Sunset Shimmer,” Sunset said, returning the hug carefully. “And you don’t have to apologize for what those two did.”

“Yes I do, I just stood there and watched...” Sonata looked over her shoulder. “I gotta go, be safe.” She ran down the hall and out of sight. Sunset smiled and looked down at her phone.

“Well, I know at least two good people in this school now. I think I can handle some dumb bullying for that.” She pocketed her phone and started to jog home.

It didn't take her long to come home, and her face to start to ache. She braced herself for the reaction, stepping inside. “Mom, Dad, I’m home!” Her father leaned over the bannister and smiled at her, not noticing the mark on her face yet.

“Sunny!” He beamed. “How was your first day of High School?”

“It was... okay...” she replied, dropping her book bag on the couch. He came down the stairs and finally noticed the swelling.

“What happened?”

“Some girls got a little mean...” She rubbed her neck. “I’m okay though.”

“Do you want to go back to the Academy?” he asked with a concerned look.

“No!” Sunset blurted out quickly. “I’m not gonna let a pair of bit- uh, mean girls run me outta school.” Star smiled softly at her, ruffling her hair.

“Okay, if that’s what you want. Just be safe.”

“I did make a new friend though.” She pushed his hand away, fixing her hair.

“That’s great,” he said. “What’s their name?”

“His name is Alias, I think he’s a senior but he was nice to me after I ran into him in the hall.”

“Well, that’s good,” he said slowly. “I hope you keep making new friends. Were you able to understand the lessons?”

“They were a little hard but I like the challenge.” It reminded her a bit of when she first attended the Academy, moving from a normal school to one meant to prepare you for higher learning. Sure, it was hard, but it felt so good to overcome it.

“That’s good, give that big old brain a workout,” he joked, poking her temple. She giggled, shaking her head.

“Oh come on Dad, I do that all the time.”

“True, you might be addicted,” he said. “I think we need to have an intervention.” She shook her head, giving him a playful shove.

“Look who's talking, we didn't see you for an entire week when that comet passed by.”

“Oh, and you didn’t complain when you hung up those pictures of it on your walls,” he teased. “And you begged me to let you look through the satellite telescope at it.”

“You're just a bad influence.” Sunset pouted. “Why couldn't I get a normal dad who likes football?”

“Because you prefer the one who knows how to jury rig your game systems to play games that are exclusively overseas,” he shot back.

“I dunno why they region lock that stuff,” she muttered, crossing her arms.

“I think part of it is their outlets are different,” he offered. “But I’m no expert on this sorta thing. Just be glad you have me around. Otherwise you’d miss out on insane games that are a ton of fun.”

“Yeah you are great at that.” She nodded sagely. “So... where’s Mom and Herc?”

“She took him to a playdate with one of the kids from his pre-school,” he said. “There is something we should talk about.” He rubbed his neck. “You are getting older and you're gonna have sex ed soon enough...”

“Oh Faust… please don’t let this be ‘the talk’,” Sunset said, her eyes turning to pinpricks.

“Would you rather talk with June about this?” He shifted, looking just as uncomfortable. Sunset shuddered.


“Okay, I see your point. Let’s… just try to get this over with.”

He sat down, patting the spot next to him. She sat down, not looking at him directly.

“How... much do you know... about this?”

“Not much,” she admitted. “I never mess with the parental blocks you set up and most of what I heard from other kids just seems woefully inaccurate.”

“Oh yeah? Like what?”

“Like guys peeing to make a baby with a girl,” she said.

Star couldn't help but snort in amusement. “That's close but, nothing as gross.”

“Okay, then tell me the real deal, and do it before I die of embarrassment,” she said, shifting in her seat.

“Alright so, girls have a space here.” He poked her abdomen. “Where a baby grows. They have little tiny eggs that make up half a person.”

“Yeah, DNA, right?” she asked, looking at where he poked.

“That's right. Boys have something called sperm, little tiny squirmy things that carry the other half. When a baby is made, a sperm cell merges with an egg and boom!” He clapped his hands together. “You got the makings of a person.”

“Okay, but how do the egg and the sperm come together in the first place?” Sunset asked.

“I was afraid you'd ask that,” he groaned, grabbing her backpack, pulling out a pen and some paper. “Let's say this is the girl.” He drew a circle. “And this is the boy.” He drew a line. He looked at her, giving her a moment to figure it out.

“Okay…” she said, showing she understood so far.

“Any ideas?” he asked, counting on her quick thinking so he didn't have to say it himself.

“Umm, the guy puts his… thing into the girl’s… place and that lets the sperm out?”

“I am very glad you’re so smart.” He leaned over, kissing her head. “It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the simple version, and all you need to know about that until you take the class.” Sunset relaxed, letting out a sigh of relief. “However,” he spoke, dashing her hopes if a quick escape, “I’m gonna have to ruin your day.”

“What do you mean?” she asked with a gulp.

“I want you to know that I’m not telling you this to scare you, far from it. Im telling you this so you don't wake up one morning thinking you're going to die or something.”

“Okay, what is it?” she asked, fidgeting more.

“Okay so...” he cleared his throat. “That place where babies grow is called a uterus. When a girl gets old enough, each month an egg enters it. If she doesn't get pregnant, the uterus sheds its lining and well...”

“Oh, this is that period Mom talks about,” Sunset said with a nod of understanding. “She already warned me about this part.”

“Oh sweet merciful heaven you.” He sprawled out on the couch, letting out a long sigh. “Your mother is a life saver.”

“Is that everything you wanted to talk about?” she asked.

“Just... be careful okay? You might still feel like a kid, but you're less of one each day.” He put a hand on her shoulder. “I trust you to be responsible. So if you find someone you want to be intimate with, use protection.”

“I don’t think you’ll have to worry about that,” she said with a giggle. “The kids in my classes are gonna be older than me for a while so I don’t think anyone will wanna date me.”

“Still, be careful.” He socked her on the arm. “Listen, I know this has been a little awkward... okay, very awkward, but I wanted to be a responsible parent. Now.” He stood up, stretching. “Wanna go play something?”

“Yes, please,” Sunset replied with a sigh of relief. “I’m up for anything after that.”

He smirked, doing a twirl. “Let's do the time warp again!!”

“I’ll go get the top hats,” she said with a chuckle. He smiled, holding his arm out, which she happily took. “Unless you want the underwear, doctor?”

“That depends, do you want to see your father in lingerie, makeup and a pearl necklace?” he shot back with a smirk.

“...Maybe on Halloween. But then... who’d be Eddie?”

“Hmm, good question,” he said, rubbing his chin. “We’ll have to think about that before the holiday comes around.”

“Anyway.” Sunset racked her brain for a suitable activity. “We could watch Flash Gordon again.”

“True, that never gets old for the soundtrack alone,” he agreed. “Shall we head to the theater?”

“We shall!” Sunset agreed, leading him further into their home. He set everything up, including grabbing popcorn for them and they settled in to watch the movie.


“I’ll get it!” Sunset called, raising up from her seat. She moved over to the house phone, lifting it up from its charger. “This is the Dust residence, may I ask who's speaking?”

“Um, this is Moon Dancer,” a young sounding girl replied. “Can I please speak to Mr. Star Dust?”

“One moment.” She moved the phone away from her mouth, covering it. “Hey Dad! Its for you.” He walked down the stairs, pulling safety goggles off his face and taking off rubber gloves. He took the phone from his daughter and put it to his ear.

“Hello, this is Star Dust.”

“H-hi... m-my name is Moon Dancer...”

“Can I ask why you’re calling?” he asked, wondering if she was selling anything.

“I-I...” she stuttered. “Y-you're my...”

“It’s okay, take as much time as you need to say what you want,” he said, his paternal instincts kicking in.

“Y-you're my... d-dad.”

“Really?!” he asked, a giddy expression spreading on his face. “That’s fantastic. Would you like to meet me and my family?”

“Y-yes please,” she squeaked, surprised by his sudden shouting.

“Okay, did you have a place in mind? Or would you rather come and see my home?” he asked, getting a pen and paper that was kept next to the phone so he could keep track of their plans.

“You'll have to talk to my mom,” Moon Dancer spoke, sounding a little overwhelmed.

“Of course, of course,” he said, nodding. “Could you please put your mother on the phone?”

“Yes, sir.” A series of noises came through the phone until a woman's voice came through.

“Hello?”

“Yes, this is Star Dust,” Star said. “Moon Dancer just told me that I’m her father and I was hoping I could meet her.”

“I don't think that’ll be a problem. I was hoping you’d want to meet her.”

“Great, where and when would you like to arrange this?” he asked with a smile. “My family’s schedule is pretty open at the moment.”

“Do you know that donut shop in Canterlot?”

“Do you mean Donut Joe’s?” he asked, his pen at the ready.

“That's the place! Is Saturday at noon good?”

“That sounds perfect,” he replied, writing it down. “I’ll see you then. And don’t tell Moon Dancer this, but I’m going to grab her a present to make up for all the missed birthdays,” he whispered.

“I think she’ll like that.”

“I can’t wait, see you then,” he said, preparing to hang up.

“Good bye.” He hung up and stepped away from the phone.

“Sunset, I have great news!” he called out.

“Yeah?” Sunset asked, stepping back into the den.

“Apparently, that girl that called is your sister,” he said, smiling at her. “We’re meeting her and her mother at Donut Joe’s this Saturday.”

“Seriously?! I have a sister?” Sunset beamed, a thousand possibilities running through her head.

“Yup, and we’re grabbing her a present to make up for all the missed birthdays,” he said, adjusting his glasses. “Want to help me pick something out for her?”

“Heck yeah I do!” she paused, reining in her enthusiasm. “Do you know what she likes?”

“Considering I just found out she exists, no I don’t,” he replied. “That’s why I’m enlisting your help. Two heads are better than one.”

“Spoken like a true nerd.” Sunset grinned.

“I’m sorry, what’s your GPA again?” he teased.

“Higher than yours was,” she shot back.

“Only because you have two awesome scientist parents to tutor you,” he countered with a chuckle and ruffled her hair. “Now let’s tell your mother and brother about this.”

“After you.” She fixed her hair, sticking it up in a ponytail. They walked into the den where June was reading a book and Herc was making a crayon drawing on the floor.

“Who was on the phone?” June asked, looking up from her book. “I heard you two getting pretty excited over something.”

“I have a sister!” Sunset beamed, letting her excitement rise again.

“I’m guessing you mean other than Lemon?” June asked with a smile, placing a bookmark in her book and putting it down.

“Her name is Moon Dancer,” Star explained, “We’re gonna meet her in Canterlot this weekend.”

“I have another sister?” Herc asked, perking up.

“That's right, Herc “ Sunset confirmed, sitting down next to him.

“Yay!” Herc cheered, hugging Sunset. She hugged back, pulling him into her lap.

“Looks like our crazy family is growing,” June noted, looking at Star. “Think it’ll get any bigger?”

“Well now you jinxed us.” Star rolled his eyes, pulling her into a kiss. Sunset and Herc grabbed their throats and made gagging noises as their parents kissed. They pulled away and June smirked.

“Wanna see me jinx it even more?” She cleared her throat. “There’s no way we’ll make another ourselves,” she said in an exaggerated manner. Star smirked, pulling her close to him.

Eventually, the day of the meeting came and Star, Sunset, Herc and June were driving up to the donut shop, with Sunset holding a wrapped gift in her lap.

“Do we know who we’re looking for?” June asked, watching the scenery whiz by.

“Thanks to caller ID, I called her back and got a description,” Star assured her, parallel parking into a spot in front of the shop. “We’re looking for a white girl with red hair that has purple streaks, purple eyes, and glasses.”

“I just hope they don’t mind us being a little late,” Sunset commented, unbuckling Herc so he could get out of his car seat.

“I’m sure they’ll understand weekend traffic,” Star assured as they piled out of the car. Sunset held Herc’s hand, carrying the present in her other hand. They entered the donut shop, scanning the room for the people they were supposed to meet. Sitting in a corner was a woman and two girls, one in her early teens and one appearing to be around ten. The one girl matched the description they were given.

The younger girl perked up when she saw them, hiding a little behind her mother. Star walked up to her and smiled.

“Hi there, are you Moon Dancer?” he asked. “I’m Star Dust.”

“N-nice to meet you sir.” Moon Dancer snuck a peek out of him. She wore her hair up in a messy bun, with a thick pair of glass, taped up in the middle, and a black turtleneck.

“You don’t have to call me sir,” Star told her. “Also, looks like you got my vision problems.” He toyed with his own glasses to demonstrate.

“I’m Moonlight Thriller.” Her mother stood up, holding her hand out. He shook it and smiled.

“Nice to meet you as well,” he told her.

“As you know, this is Moon Dancer.” She gestured to her youngest. “And this, is my oldest, Moon Waltz.”

“Hello,” the older girl greeted, giving a little wave.

“And hello to you too. This is my wife, June Bug,” he gestured to June, “my oldest, Sunset Shimmer. And my son, Hercules Nebula.”

“It’s nice to meet you Moon Dancer,” Sunset greeted, sitting down across from her.

“N-nice to meet you too,” Moon Dancer replied, her eyes drifting towards the gift in her hand. “What’s that?”

“It’s for you.” Sunset smiled, passing it over to her. “Dad wanted to make it up to you for all the missed birthdays.” Moon Dancer blinked a bit and started to carefully peel away at the wrapping paper. Once the present was revealed she gasped.

“Y-you got me a laptop?” Moon Dancer asked, running her hands over the box.

“The first thing Dad got me was a laptop,” Sunset said with a smile. “We thought that you might like something like this.”

“That's a really nice gift,” Moonlight commented, looking at Star. “I’ll be honest, I’m really glad you wanted to meet us. I was afraid you’d want nothing to do with her.

Star chuckled and said, “No, I’d never do something like that. The reason I went to the clinic and made a… donation in the first place was because I wanted to have children but didn’t think I’d ever find someone to start a family with.”

“I can tell you, I was really nervous when I met dad too,” Sunset said, looking at Moon Dancer.

“You were?” Moon Dancer asked, looking up from her gift.

“Yeah. See, I’m like you. My mom had me through the clinic.” Sunset gave her a sad smile.

“Wh-what happened to your mom?” Moon Dancer asked with a nervous frown.

“She passed away when I was eight.” Sunset looked out the window, sighing. “I miss her a lot.”

“I’m sorry,” Moon Dancer said, glancing at her mom. “I shouldn’t have asked.”

“Don’t worry about it, it doesn’t hurt to talk about.” Sunset brightened up. “Why don’t you tell me about yourself?”

“I’m not very interesting,” Moon Dancer dismissed, shrinking a bit. “I just study and read most days.”

“I do both of those things too. What's your favorite book?”

“Um… Daring Do, if I had to pick just one,” Moon Dancer replied.

“I dressed up as her last halloween. Took forever to get the hair dye out.” Sunset giggled. “We took tons of pictures.”

“That sounds like a lot of fun,” Moon Dancer said, a soft smile on her face. “Mom probably wouldn’t let me dye my hair for a costume.”

“Won’t know until you ask,” Sunset pointed out. “How old are you, Moon?”

“I’m ten, what about you?” Moon asked.

“I’m thirteen, going on fourteen soon. Where do you go to school?”

“I go to Crystal Academy,” Moon Dancer said. “It’s not very friendly there, but the courses are good.”

“I went to Sleipnir Academy, over in Nifelheim,” Sunset explained. “But I was doing so well, they moved me up to Fenrir High.”

“You’re in high school already?” Moon Dancer gasped. “That’s incredible!”

“Yeah.” Sunset rubbed her neck, blushing a little. “And if I keep my grades up, I might even be graduating next year.”

“That’s so cool!” Moon Dancer gushed. “I’ve been working as hard as I can and I’ve never been asked to skip a grade.”

“I’m sure it’ll happen. I bet you're the smartest girl in your school.”

“Thanks, but there’s this other girl named Twilight there,” Moon Dancer said with a pout. “People say she’s the smartest girl in the school.”

“You’ll just have to prove them wrong won’t ya?” Sunset asked, giving her younger sister an encouraging smile.

“I’ll certainly try,” Moon Dancer replied, her smile returning. “Thanks, Sunset.”

“You’re welcome Moon.” Sunset held her arm out, offering her a hug. Moon decided to take it and gave her new sister a hug. “We have a lot of catching up to do you know.”

“I already told you, I’m not very interesting,” Moon said, chuckling weakly and pushing her glasses up. “It won’t take me long to tell you about me.”

“I’m all ears.”

“Well, my mom runs a dance studio in the city,” Moon started. “She’s really good and can teach anyone to dance.”

“She could teach dad a thing or two. He’s got seven left feet,” Sunset informed.

“Hey!” Star Dust protested, looking over from his conversation with Moonlight.

“Honey, it’s true,” June said with a giggle. “As someone who shared a wedding dance with you, I can say in all confidence that you have all the rhythm of a fish flopping on a pier.”

“I can't believe this.” Star threw his hands up in exasperation. “First my daughter and now my wife. My whole family is turning against me.” Sunset and June giggled at his antics.

“Ignore him,” Sunset said to Moon Dancer. “He’s being silly.” Moon Dancer giggled, looking rather relaxed now. “Ooh, I had an idea,” Sunset said, her eyes lighting up. “Why don’t you come over to my house sometime so we can study together? With my help you’ll be skipping grades in no time!”

“Really?” Moon Dancer asked, her eyes sparkling. “You'd do that?”

“Of course,” Sunset replied with a bright smile. “You’re my little sister, it’s my job to help you out.”

“Can I, Mom?” Moon Dancer turned to her mother, giving her a hopeful expression.

“As if I’d say no to you visiting family and furthering your education,” Moonlight said, chuckling and patting her daughter’s head.

“So you play any games?” Sunset asked, getting Moon’s attention.

“Um, what kind of games do you mean?” Moon Dancer asked. “That’s kind of a broad question. Though I do play both board and video games sometimes.”

“Video games,” Sunset clarified, amused by her sister’s need for specifics.

“Yeah, I sometimes play those. I like this one called Puzzle Fighter. It’s pretty fun.”

“I don't think I’ve played that one.” Sunset shock her head. “I play a lot of RPGs.”

“Those are fun too,” Moon said with a smile. “The stories can be pretty out there. I can bring over Puzzle Fighter to show you if you want.”

“I’d like that a lot, Moon.” Sunset returned her smile. “Do you have a lot of friends?”

“Um, a couple,” Moon replied, deflating a bit. “Crystal Academy isn’t exactly a friendly environment though. One of my friends is named Minuette, but everyone calls her Colgate because she wants to be a dentist.”

“Any boyfriends?” Sunset asked with a teasing smile.

“No,” Moon replied with a shake of her head. “What about you?”

“Nah, just me.” Sunset shook her head. “I'm still a few years younger than most people in my school.”

“Yeah, guess that would make things tricky,” Moon agreed. “Do you have anyone you like, though?”

“Well... there is this one guy but, he’s already with someone.”

“Does this someone have a name?” Moon asked with a giggle,

“His name is Alias.”

“Ooh, what’s he like?” Moon asked with a grin.

“He’s witty, plays the guitar, has this really nice accent.”

“Sounds like you’ve got it bad for him,” Moon Waltz teased with a smile. “Is this your first crush?”

“I don't have a crush!” Sunset denied, her face darkening.

“Uh huh, and Dancer here doesn’t need her glasses,” Waltz said, pointing at her sister’s eyewear.

“But I do need them,” Moon said innocently.

“It’s called sarcasm, little sis.” Waltz chuckled and patted her sister’s head.

“I do not have a crush on Alias,” Sunset insisted with a frown.

“See, the more you deny it, the more fun it is to tease you,” Waltz said with a grin. Sunset huffed, crossing her arms.

“So, who’s Alias in a relationship with?” Moon asked, ignoring her older sister.

“Another friend of mine, Sonata Dusk. Her sisters aren't exactly the nicest people, but she's really nice.”

“Ouch,” Waltz replied with a wince. “One of your friends dating the guy you like. That’s always a tough break.”

“He’s too old for me anyway,” Sunset dismissed.

“True, there’s always another guy,” Waltz offered. “I bet the next guy you like will be ten times better than Alias.”

“I'm not looking for someone better, just someone who likes me back,” Sunset corrected, leaning on the table.

“I’m sure you’ll find someone like that,” Waltz said with a nod.

“What about you?” Sunset asked, “You got anyone?”

“I dumped my boyfriend two weeks ago,” Waltz said with a frown. “He was cheating on me.”

“Ouch, that must have hurt.” Sunset winced.

“It gets better,” Waltz said with a sigh. “He was cheating on me with another guy.”

“Oh wow.” Sunset’s eyes went wide. “You didn't... out him did you?”

“No way,” Waltz replied with a shake of her head. “We talked and we’re just friends now. I wouldn’t hurt someone like that.”

“I hope I didn't offend you, it’s just...” Sunset rubbed her arm. “I've known spiteful people like that.“

“None taken,” Waltz waved off. “I have too.”

“Trust me, I got the short end of that stick.” Sunset shook her head.

“Sounds like there’s a long story there,” Waltz commented.

“I could tell it, if you want,” Sunset offered, “We’ve got the time.”

“Only if you’re comfortable telling it,” Waltz replied with a concerned look.

“When my mom died, the only family I had left was my grandmother,” Sunset recounted, looking at the table, “You’d think that wouldn't be too bad, that we’d be there for each other, but not her. She hated my guts.”

“Wh-what happened?” Moon Dancer asked, gulping.

“A few days after the funeral, she threw me out of the house. I mean, who does that? How can someone hate an eight year old so much that they toss them out on the street?”’’

“There’s all kinds of bad people out there,” Waltz said with a sigh. “I’m so sorry you had to go through that.” Moon sniffled and hugged Sunset.

Sunset hugged her life sister back. “I spent three months in a box behind a restaurant eating out of the trash.”

“Oh, that sounds awful,” Waltz said. “You’re lucky to still be alive.”

“I was found by one of the waiters and after a few weeks in a foster home, I met my dad.” She smiled, glancing over at where the adults were talking. “Whenever I think about him and June, it doesn't hurt as much.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” Waltz said. “You’re one strong kid, Sunny.”

“Don't call me kid, you're only like what? Three years older than me?” Sunset protested, trying to lighten the mood.

“I’ll call you kid if I want,” Waltz replied with a smirk. “Call me when you get one of these.” She pulled out her licence and waved it in Sunset’s face.

“Oh that's low and you know it.” Sunset glared. “How do you sleep at night?”

“With a fan on and two pillows under my head,” Waltz retorted.

“Ooh that's cold.” Sunset mock shivered. “I bet you're the ice queen of your school.”

“No, that would be Cold Shoulder,” Waltz replied with a chuckle.

“Ouch, someone actually named their kid that?”

“Yeah, her parents run an ice cream parlor,” Waltz said.

“Okay, that makes a lot more sense.” Sunset nodded. “I take it you go to Crystal Prep?”

“Yeah, I’m part of the school’s dance team,” Waltz replied.

“Oh yeah?” Sunset leaned in. “You any good?”

“Oh yeah, I’ve won two state championships,” Waltz said, leaning back in her chair.

“That all? I won the state math competition.”

“I’m also getting ready for a national competition,” Waltz said.

“I won the regional spelling bee...” Dancer piped up meekly.

“Aww, I knew you got Dad’s brain too,” Sunset said, hugging her little sister. Dancer smiled, hugging her back. “I’m glad I met you guys,” Sunset said with a sigh of contentment. “You guys are awesome.”

“I think you're great too.” Dancer smiled. “Um... Sunset?”

“What is it, Moon?” Sunset asked, looking down at the younger girl.

“Would you come to my school's family day?”

“I’d love to visit your school.” Sunset smiled and squeezed Dancer.

“Thanks!” Dancer smiled, pushing her glasses back into place. “Its two weeks from now, on a Saturday.”

“I’ll be there for sure,” Sunset assured. “Do you want Dad there too?”

“If he wants to.” She nodded

“Not even an army would keep him away,” Sunset told her with a giggle.

“What are we talking about now?” Star asked, looking over.

“Moon Dancer invited me to her school’s family day two Saturdays from now and you’re invited too,” Sunset explained with a smile.

“I’d love to Moon Dancer.” Star Dust grinned. “We can brag about how smart we are to everyone.”

“Yeah, I bet Twilight’s dad can’t build the kind of things ours can,” Sunset said with a grin of her own. “Think we’ll have our secret project finished by then?” she asked, looking up at him.

“If we double time it, I know it will!”

“That school won’t know what hit them!” Sunset cheered, high fiving her father.

“See what I have to put up with?” June asked, giving Thriller a mock scowl.

“It’s like you’re raising three children.” Thriller shook her head and patted the other woman’s shoulder in mock comfort.

“She’s as much a kid as we are.” Sunset rolled her eyes. “You should see how she gets when we get a new gadget.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,”June said, turning her nose up.

“She almost lost her mind when we got an old betamax player.”

“Betamax was better than VHS,” June grumbled. “VHS just got the bigger marketing push. It’s the cassettes and eight-tracks debacle all over again.”

“That's what you said about LaserDisc,” Star Dust reminded.

“Okay, I’ll admit to being wrong on that one,” June said. “But I remain resolute in my opinion on betamax… And Apple for that matter. They put a shiny paint job on tech that’s slightly outdated and then overprice it like a foreign luxury car. That turtlenecked b-jerk is the modern day snake oil salesman.” She censored herself for Herc’s and Dancer’s sake.

“What's wrong with turtlenecks?” Dancer asked quizzically.

“Nothing,” June replied with a chuckle. “I was referring to the person wearing the turtleneck. He always wears one so it’s an easy way to identify him.”

“Oh. Okay.” Dancer nodded, still hugging onto Sunset.

“Moon Dancer’s shift from nervous to affectionate reminds me a lot of you, Sunny,” Star commented, smiling and adjusting his glasses.

“We are sisters, after all,” Sunset replied with a grin.

“I’d like to be more involved in Moon Dancer’s life, if I’m able,” Star Dust said, turning to Moonlight.

“Of course,” Moonlight said. “She’d love to get to know her father more.”

“How about it Moon Dancer? Wanna spend time with your old man?”

“Yeah!” Moon Dancer chimed, a bright smile spreading on her face. “I’d like that a lot!” Star Dust smiled, extending his arm out for a hug. She released Sunset and hugged Star, burying her head in his torso.

Star wrapped his arms around her, lifting her up into his lap. “Sunset and I are going to the museum this weekend, would you like to go too?”

“Yeah, I love museums!” Dancer beamed.

“Alright then, it's a date,” he joked, fixing her glasses for her. Dancer smiled and settled in his lap.

Days passed, and Sunset and Star were in their workshop, both clad in safety goggles.

“And Voila!” Star Dust exclaimed, placing his tools down. “It's finished.”

“We’ll have to test it out in the morning,” Sunset said, putting her own tools down. “We don’t want to start a fire at Dancer’s school.” He nodded and wiped his hands clean.

“True, we don’t want a repeat incident after our last experiment,” Star said. He leaned over, kissing her head. “We’ll knock their socks off.” Sunset nodded and yawned.

“Yeah, but for now we should get some sleep.” She stretched and walked towards the door. Star did one last check to make sure everything was off before following her out, locking the door up tight.