• Published 28th Sep 2016
  • 1,248 Views, 3 Comments

Children of the Star-Another Sunset - Grey Ghost



The story of human Sunset, as she goes through life under her father's care

  • ...
4
 3
 1,248

Running Down A Dream

Sunset walked beside Grey, the two of them having what most would consider a pointless argument. “You’re crazy, Grey, MGS3 is way better than 2.” She huffed.

“Snake Eater’s cover system never worked right,” he argued, “You always get seen, no matter how high it is.”

“Which is why there’s so many other ways to tackle stealth,” she retorted. “Plus, Snake Eater’s bosses are amazing.”

“Yeah, like that one where the guy dies of old age. Totally awesome.”

“See, you even agree with me,” she said, giving him a playful shove. “Though I will admit that the naked Raiden portion of two is pretty fun.” She wiggled her eyebrows at him.

“I bet I know which part of the screen you were staring at.” He grinned.

“If you were thinking his ass, then you’d be right,” she admitted with a grin of her own.

“What has the world come to? Hormones are affecting younger and younger kids,” Grey lamented, sagging his shoulders in mock defeat.

“Yes, it truly is a sad world when an eight year old like me is attracted to the bare ass of blonde secret agents from a video game,” she added, sagging her shoulders and hanging her head.

“It's up to me, the brave eleven year old to keep your mind pure!” he declared, pulling her close protectively.

“My hero!” she mock swooned, putting a hand to her forehead. They held their position before bursting into laughter like a pair of crazy people. “I think there’s something wrong with us,” she said, looking up at him with a grin.

“Nah, there's something wrong with everyone.” He grinned. “Anyway, you got anything special planned for your B-day?”

“The family might be coming up,” she said. “Why, you want to do something?” She smirked at him.

“I dunno, how old are you turning again?” He teased, patting her head.

“Nine, remember?” She rolled her eyes at him. “I bet you already have a present for me hidden in your room.”

“Maybe I do, maybe I don't.” He shrugged. “I'm not sure you’re old enough for it “

“You’re such a jerk.” She laughed and gave him a playful shove. “Why am I friends with you again?”

“Because I got that older kid charm.” He smirked, ruffling her hair. “You should be grateful Senpai noticed you.”

“Is that how you want me to address you? Grey-senpai?”

“‘Grey-Senpai’.” He rubbed his chin. “I like the sound of that.”

“You are such a nerd, Grey-Senpai.” She let out an overdramatic sigh, though she had a large smile on her face.

“So are you,” he replied, poking her cheek.

“Yeah, but at least I’m cute,” she shot back with a smirk.

“Come talk to me when you're out of that training bra.”

“You dick!” She glared at him. “This is so not a training bra!”

“It's not?” He glanced at her chest before looking into her eyes. “Coulda fooled me.”

“Okay, just for that, you’re buying me a snack.” She stuck her nose up in the air. “And I’m getting the most expensive thing on the menu.”

“Alright little Sunny, just don't throw a tantrum in the store,” he teased further, snickering a little.

“Keep it up and I’m kicking you right in Ghost Jr’s face,” she warned with a hard look.

“Ouch, when did you get so violent?” he asked, cringing a little.

“Maybe I’ve always been this violent?” she returned with a smirk. “And you’re just now seeing the real me.”

“I befriended a little monster, just my luck.” He sighed, walking into the cafe. He placed their orders, taking their regular table. “But seriously Sunny, happy birthday.”

“Thanks Grey, it’s my first birthday away from my family in a while,” she said. “So it’s nice to have a good friend to spend it with.”

“How's it feel, finally being old enough to drive?” he asked, leaning back in his chair.

“It’s pretty cool,” she said. “It’ll take a little work to get that license. But until then, I’ll just keep bumming rides from you,” she replied with a smile.

“Just keep chipping in for gas and we’re all good,” he assured with a thumbs up.

“I bet there’s something you’d rather get than gas money from me,” she teased with a wink as their order was placed on the table.

“Not while you're jailbait,” he stated firmly, taking a bite of his bagel.

“Only one more year if you don’t find someone else before that,” she reminded with a smile.

“Someone more perfect than you? No way,” Grey scoffed. “I'm not so sex starved I can't wait a year.”

“That was so sweet.” Sunset smiled at him. “I’ll be sure to make the wait worth it.”

“Hey, don't go out of the way for me.“ He smiled back. “I like you for more than just that you know.“

“Aren’t people supposed to go out of the way for the people they care about?”

“That's not what I meant and you know it.”

“Grey, due to me skipping grades, I’ve never had a relationship before. Hell, I’ve never even kissed a guy before. So forgive me if I’m a little repressed,” she said with a frown.

“Hey.” He reached out, taking her hand. “I just don't want you to feel like you can't change your mind.”

“As if I’d want to change my mind for you,” she replied, squeezing his hand. He squeezed back, giving her hand a kiss. “Ugh, I hate being younger than you,” she groaned. “It makes this so much more complicated than it should be.”

“It just gives you time to outgrow the training bra,” he teased, grinning mischievously.

“Keep that up and I’ll date someone else when I turn seventeen,” she deadpanned.

“Okay, okay, I'll leave out the puberty jokes,” he promised, smiling sheepishly at her.

“That’s a good senpai.” She smiled and patted his cheek.

“...I’d respond in kind but that's the only honorific I know.”

“So it seems I finally stumped your teasing.” She giggled.

“It appears so.” He took another bite of his bagel. “I'll get more ammunition though.”

“I look forward to it,” she replied. “Faust forbid we have a conversation where we’re not teasing each other mercilessly.”

“See? We’re perfect for each other.” He grinned. “I doubt either of us could do better.”

“I suppose not, though I might try.” She smirked at him and winked.

“I doubt that little miss push-up bra.”

“I’m not wearing a push-up bra,” she growled.

“Oh yeah? Then I guess you just stuff em’ with tissue then.”

“I bet you pad the front of your pants,” she retorted with a glare.

“I think you wear those pants with the ass pads.”

“I bet you sharpie a six pack onto yourself.”

“I bet you wear platform shoes to hide that you really belong in elementary school.”

“I bet you wear makeup to hide a ton of zits.”

“I bet you're as flat as a pancake.”

“I bet you have a micro-penis.”

They got a few odd looks, but that didn't deter their little insult game.

“I bet you're just an opposite gendered clone.”

“I bet you’re an escaped lab experiment,” she shot back.

“i bet you're one of the Garbage Pail Kids “

“I bet you’re one of the bullies from the Garbage Pail Kids movie.”

“I bet you escaped from the State Home for the Ugly.”

“I bet you were raised there.”

“I bet they grew you from garbage.”

“I bet you were a dumpster baby.”

“You know, people are starting to stare,” he commented, gesturing with his head.

“Has that ever stopped us from doing something stupid?” she asked with a chuckle.

“Nah. That's why we’re the perfect couple.” He winked, finishing off his bagel.

“Except we’re not a couple,” she pointed out. “Not yet anyway.”

“We’re close enough. It’s semantics at this point.”

“You make a good point, but couples do more than just jokingly insult each other.”

“And we will, just gotta wait a few more months,” he assured her, sneaking a bite of her food.

“Ugh, you’re lucky I like you so much or else I’d whack you for stealing my food.” She then stole a sip of his hot chocolate.

“Back on topic, when we do start dating, your dad isn't going to beat me up side the head is he?”

“Grey. my dad’s not the kind of guy to beat up someone,” Sunset assured him.

“You sure about that?” He questioned her, leaning in close.

“Of course,” she reaffirmed. “Now, using a gadget of his on you, that’s a different story.”

“I'll try to avoid that.” He nodded. “If your family doesn't come out, you wanna do something?”

“Do you even have to ask at this point?” she asked with a smile.

“Got anything in mind? It’s all on me babe.” He winked cockily.

“Hmm, do you wanna go into town and catch a movie or something?” she asked. “After you give me my present.” She grinned and poked him in the nose.

“Oi, greedy little minx are we?”

“Is it so wrong to be excited to see what you got me?” She gave him a puppy dog look.

“Gah, gotta pull out those on me don't you?” he asked, covering his eyes.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She started to make her lip quiver.

“Will you stop that?” he asked, keeping his eyes covered.

“Fine, I guess I can go easy on you, Grey-Senpai~” she chimed, quickly finishing her food. He finished his drink, standing up.

“Shall we, m’lady?” he asked, offering her his arm.

“We shall, Sir Ghost.” She linked arms with him, walking out of the cafe at his side. He smiled, leading her to their favorite hangout spot, an old tree off in the far corner of the campus. “Is this where you stashed my gift?” she asked, taking a seat under the tree.

“Think you can find it?” he asked, sitting next to her.

“And what kind of package should I be looking for?” she questioned, looking at him with a grin.

“You'll know it when you see it.” She rolled her eyes and got up, starting to look around the tree for the present. She reached into the knothole of the old tree, feeling wrapping paper. She pulled it out, smiling at him.

“Had to go with the cliche, didn’t you?”

“It's a good one,” he insisted.

“You’re so lucky that some idiot didn’t come and take it,” she replied, starting to open the present. He leaned in, hoping to gauge her reaction. She let out a gasp, gently pulling out a necklace. “Grey, it’s beautiful.”

“It was my mom’s,” he explained, taking it from her and unclasping it. “She gave it to me when my parents got divorced.”

“I can’t accept something like that.” She shook her head vigorously.

“Hey.” He reached over, clasping it around her neck. “You're special to me and you deserve something special.” Sunset groaned.

“Ugh, and this is why being underage sucks. You do something this unbelievably sweet and I can’t even show you my appreciation!” She pouted down at the necklace.

“It looks good on you.” He grinned. The necklace was purple, with a light blue crescent moon on it.

“Yeah, I guess it does.” She touched the necklace gently. “I love it, I’ll wear it every day.”

“You ever heard of Nightmare Moon?” he asked, pulling her into his lap.

“I think so, but refresh my memory,” she said, her brow furrowing in concentration.

“Famous heavy metal star around... twenty five years ago.”

“Oh wow!” Sunset gasped. “I remember her now. My mom loved her! She used to play her stuff around the house all the time when I was little.”

“That's my mom.” Grey beamed. “You’d never know, looking at her now.”

“That’s so cool,” Sunset replied. “Though my dad’s kinda a celebrity too.”

“Yeah but I bet having you didn't make him settle down.” He leaned against the tree, wrapping his arms around her.

“My dad didn’t even know I existed until I was eight,” she replied. “I was an in vitro baby.”

“See? You're totally a clone.” He smirked.

“And you were a broken condom baby,” she shot back.

“That wouldn’t surprise me.” He laid his head on top of hers. “Happy birthday, Sunny.”

“Thank you Grey,” she replied, leaning into his arms. “I don’t know what I did to deserve you in my life.”

“I ask myself that every day.”

“Guess the two of us just got lucky,” she replied with a chuckle.

“Super lucky.” He nodded, giving her a squeeze.

“And now I have to find a way to top this present when your birthday comes around,” she said.

“You can try, push-up, but I don't think you can.”

“Oh, I’ll succeed, micro penis,” she retorted with a smirk.

“We’ll see.”

“I’ll do it,” she assured. “But, instead of getting into another teasing match, can we just talk?”

“About what?”

“I dunno,” she said. “Do you think we’ll still be like this years down the road?”

“I hope so. I don't see myself falling for anyone else.”

“Same here.” She took hold of his hand. “The only other people I have this much fun with are my family.” He smiled, squeezing her hand. “You know, if my family does come up today, you could join us,” she offered, looking up at him.

“You sure they’ll accept me?”

“Of course they would,” she replied. “They’d love you.”

“Even if we're kinda sorta dating?” He looked into her eyes.

“I think the fact that you’ve never made an untoward move on me will net you a lot of respect,” she replied. “The most you’ve ever done is hold me like this.”

“Good to know.” He smiled, kissing the top of her head. Her smile matched his.

“I bet you’d break out in a sweat and become a stuttering mess if you did join us,” she teased.

“I hope we’re not interrupting something,” a familiar voice said from behind them.

They both turned, seeing the Star family standing behind them.

“Umm… hi guys.” She smiled weakly and waved at them. “I thought you would’ve called or texted me when you got here.”

“We wanted to surprise you,” June explained. “Now, who's your friend?”

“Well, this is Grey Ghost,” Sunset said, slowly pulling away from him. “I’ve told you about him in my messages.”

“Oh?” June asked, tilting her head.

“Yeah, he’s the friend I met on the first day,” Sunset explained.

“Are you sure you’re just friends?” June asked, narrowing her eyes at the poor man.

“Well…” Sunset paused, wracking her brain for an explanation.

“Yes?” June asked, crossing her arms.

“I mean we like each other,” she admitted. “But we haven’t done anything other than innocent stuff like holding hands and stuff.”

“Oh relax June,” Star spoke up, “I trust Sunny to make good decisions.”

“Wow, Dad,” Sunset said with a smile. “Thanks for being so understanding.”

“I told you before, I trust you.” Star smiled, walking over and extending his hand. “I’m Dr. Star Dust, a pleasure to meet you.”

“I-I’m Grey Ghost,” Grey replied, shaking the other man’s hand. “The pleasure’s all mine, sir.”

“This is my lovely wife June Bug, my son Hercules Nebula and my youngest daughter Moon Dancer.”

“I-it’s nice to meet you all too,” Grey said, looking at the others. “Sunny’s said a lot of good things about you all.”

“Likewise.” Star smiled, sitting down with them. “Sunny told me that you’re a physics student, are you enjoying your classes?”

“I love ‘em. What makes ‘em better is sharing them with Sunny.”

“That’s good to hear,” Star replied. “You’ll fit in just fine with us. I might have to show you my workshop back home.”

“Really?” Grey blinked. “I honestly thought you'd be rather P.O.ed.”

“I know my daughter rather well.” Star chuckled. “And if she likes you then there’s a good reason for it. And I can tell you wouldn’t try anything to hurt her.”

“Star is a lot more trusting than I am.” June sat down, looking between the two love birds.

“Mom, Grey’s a great guy,” Sunset protested. “Try not to give him the third degree.”

“I make no promises, Sunset.”

“Uh oh, she’s not using the nickname,” Sunset whispered to Grey. “Good luck.”

“It's nice to meet you ma’am.” Grey smiled, holding his hand out to June The older woman shook his hand and gave him a stern look.

“What are your intentions with my daughter?” June asked, studying him closely.

“Uh... wait until next year?” he said carefully.

“Oh, and what do you plan on doing then?” June gripped his hand hard, her nails digging into his skin.

“Whatever Sunset is comfortable with.” He winced but didn't look away.

“Hmm, I suppose that’ll do for now.” June released his hand, relaxing slightly. He let out a sigh of relief, rubbing his hand.

“Be a man, don’t rub it,” Sunset joked.

“Easy for you to say.”

“Hey, I’ve dealt with worse than Mom’s interrogation,” Sunset retorted.

“You two already sound married,” Moon Dancer teased.

“Keep it up and Lemon will be the Maid of Honor,” Sunset shot back, grabbing Moon and giving her a noogie.

“H-hey!” Moon squirmed, trying to escape her grasp.

“And that’s why you don’t tease your big sister,” Sunset said, letting the younger girl go. “Why do you think Herc gave it up years ago?”

“Yeah, she's really tough.” Herc nodded.

“Really?” Grey asked, looking at Sunset. “She looks like a big softie to me.”

“That's what you think.” Herc shook his head. “She’s really a monster.” Grey hummed in thought for a moment, looking Sunset up and down.

“Well, she did threaten to kick me in the junk not too long ago,” he admitted.

“Yeah, cause you said-” she gazed at her parents and cleared her throat. “Never mind. So... are we doing anything, Dad?”

“We were going to take you to a restaurant and give you your gifts,” Star replied. “Would you like to come with us, Grey?”

“I don't want to impose.” Grey leaned back. “But, I won't say no if it's alright with you guys.”

“Well, it’s my birthday and I want you to come,” Sunset said.

“Then I guess I'm coming.” He smiled, taking her hand.

“Not until she’s seventeen you’re not,” Star muttered.

“And here I thought I was playing bad cop,” June commented, rising to her feet.

“Oh you know I couldn’t let that joke slip by,” Star said, taking his wife’s hand.

“Dear... I think he meant coming with us, not... that.”

“Hence why it was a joke, dear.” Star rolled his eyes. She frowned, poking his cheek.

“Keep that up and we’ll stop trying for another kid.”

“...Yes ma’am.” Star hung his head, his glasses sliding down his nose.

“Wait… what was that?” Sunset blinked owlishly.

“Another star will be gracing the sky soon.” June winked, pulling Star close.

“That’s great!” Sunset beamed. “Are you hoping for a boy or girl this time, Mom?”

“I think a girl this time.” June lead them to the car, though she had Moon sit between the lovebirds.

“So another little sister?” Sunset questioned with a smile. “Do you have any ideas for a name?”

“Now that is a good question.” June pursed her lips. “Is was your father's idea to name Herc after our sides of the family.”

“And he wound up with an awesome name,” Sunset chirped, ruffling her brother’s hair. Herc blushed, giving her a hug.

“On the subject of sisters,” Star began, pulling out of the parking lot. “I have some news for you girls.”

“Based on what you said, I’m guessing another girl contacted you and said you were her donor father,” Moon interjected, adjusting her glasses.

“More like her mother did.” Star glanced at June. “Her name is Starlight Glimmer and she’s only a year younger than you, Sunny.”

“That’s great news!” Sunset beamed. “Can I meet her on my next day off?”

“Well...” Star frowned, not sure what to say.

“You can try. Apparently, she's under mental evaluation,” June elaborated.

“Wh-what’s wrong, why is she under evaluation?” Sunset asked, her smile falling.

“Apparently, she ran away as a little girl because her friend moved away,” Star spoke, letting out a long sigh. “At some point, she started a cult, and I think you can imagine how that went.”

“Hold on… a teenager started a cult?” Grey asked, scratching his head.

“Yes, just like a heavy metal singer settled down and became a vice principal,” Star responded.

“...You know about my mom?” he asked, genuinely surprised.

“Your aunt used to tutor me in Spanish. Luna was a hellraiser in high school.”

“Huh… didn’t see that coming,” Sunset commented, looking between Grey and her father. “But, back on the subject, is she... dangerous?”

“We’re not sure, that’s what the evaluation is for,” June said.

“Is this like the time we went on vacation with aunt Dust Bowl’s family?” Moon asked, looking between June and Star.

“Something like that.” Star sighed. “Sorry for bringing the mood down on your special day, Sunny.”

“No, I'm glad you told me.” Sunset smiled. “I still want to meet her though.”

“Maybe family offering support is just what she needs,” Star said with a smile.

“But, tonight is your night so let's have fun!” June smiled, trying to lighten the mood.

“Yeah, it’s not every day you turn nine.” Grey smirked at Sunset. Sunset burst out laughing, reaching over Moon to sock him in the arm.


“Starlight,” Nurse Red Heart knocked on her patient's door, “Are you awake?”

“If I say no will you leave?” came the response the nurse had grown accustomed to.

“You have visitors.”

“Fine, send them in, I’m wearing my best jacket after all,” Starlight replied. After a few minutes, a young man and two younger girls walked in.

“Hello Starlight,” the older girl smiled, “I'm Sunset Shimmer and this is my little sister Moon Dancer and my friend Grey Ghost.”

“Hello,” Starlight greeted, sitting up. “So what are you all doing here?”

“We wanted to meet you,” Moon Dancer said, giving her a warm smile.

“And why would you want to meet me?” Starlight asked.

“This may sound weird but, Moon Dancer and I are your sisters,” Sunset explained, looking down at her.

“...You sure you aren’t supposed to be in a rubber room too?” Starlight asked with a flat look.

“I’m serious,” Sunset insisted, “Your mom went to the same clinic our moms did, we have the same father.”

“And where is he then?” Starlight asked. “Why didn’t he show up to tell me this himself?”

“Dad’s coming later today. Our little brother has a soccer game today, but I promise he’ll be here.”

“Alright, I guess that makes sense,” Starlight replied. “So how did you find me, was it my mom or dad?”

“Your mom called Dad,” Moon Dancer said. “Um... we brought you presents but the doctor said you couldn't have them yet.”

“That’s for the best,” Starlight said. “I doubt you guys would want to see me open a present with my mouth and feet.” She indicated her bound arms.

“Yeah, I noticed.” Sunset moved over, sitting next to her. “How are you feeling?”

“At first I was angry, but ramming into the walls was surprisingly therapeutic,” Starlight answered. “Now, I’m bored most of the time. It’s gotten so bad that I started counting the stitches in the padding of the room.”

“Why did you... you know?”

“Sunburst was my only friend,” Starlight started. “When he moved to go to this impressive school I just felt… Faust, I can’t even explain everything I was feeling. So I ran. At one point I heard this seminar about equality and decided to make my own group dedicated to that. And that blew up in my face spectacularly.”

“That must have hurt.” Sunset reached over, putting a hand on her shoulder.

“It did, and since I’m a minor the police that found me thought it was best that I get my head checked out,” Starlight replied.

“You never know, they might have saved your life,” Sunset offered, giving her a sad smile.

“Maybe you’re right,” Starlight admitted. “Things were pretty crazy at the end there.”

“How crazy?” Grey asked, leaning on the wall.

“I’d rather not say.” Starlight shuddered.

“You know, I’ve been through some bad times too,” Sunset began, “I don't mind sharing my story.”

“Really, like what?” Starlight questioned, looking at her.

“When I was eight, my mom died.” Sunset reached up, grasping her necklace. “My grandmother, she... threw me out on the streets. I spent three months living in a box behind a restaurant, eating out of the garbage.”

“Wow, I guess we’re not so different,” Starlight said. “I’d uh… give you a pat on the shoulder or a hug if I could.”

“You just worry about getting better.” Sunset smiled again. “The doctor said you shouldn't be in here for too much longer, you wanna join Moon and I for a sisters’ day out when you do?”

“That doesn’t sound too bad,” Starlight replied with a small smile. “Our first stop should be to get something to eat. If you think hospital food is bad, just try asylum food.”

“Then it’s a date!” Moon giggled, giving her new sister a hug.

“And I guess I’ll have to be your chauffeur again,” Grey chimed in. “The oldest of you sisters only has a permit.”

“Hey, I’m working on it.” Sunset smiled sheepishly.

“I know, but I couldn’t resist teasing you,” he said with a chuckle.

“You’re so mean.” Sunset pouted.

“If I were mean I wouldn’t agree to give you so many rides,” he pointed out with a smirk.

“Are you two dating?” Starlight asked, glancing between them.

“Kinda,” Grey replied with a shrug. “Though we’re waiting until Sunny here turns seventeen to make it official.”

“Trust me, the wait sucks,” Sunset added.

“The wait’ll be over before you know it,” Grey assured her patting her shoulder. “And then it’s normal dating stuff. Which will most likely be everything we normally do just with a lot more kissing.” Sunset smiled, putting her hand over his.

“Ugh, the two of you are so sweet together it’s gonna make me sick,” Starlight said, making a fake retching noise.

“They gave me cavities,” Moon joked.

“You’re just jealous you don’t have someone yet,” Sunset teased, sticking her tongue out at Moon.

“You tell yourself that, Sunny.”

“It’s okay, you can admit to your jealousy,” Sunset said in an over dramatic tone, putting an arm around Moon. “Your big sis is here for you.”

“I am not jealous!” Moon insisted, squirming in her arms.

“Shh, it’s okay, Moonie,” Sunset whispered, holding her tighter. “You don’t have to hide your feelings from me.”

“Sunny! Lemme go!!!”

“Fine, I’m done teasing you.” Sunset giggled and let her sister go. Moon Dancer straightened her turtle neck, huffing.

“You girls are crazy,” Starlight giggled.

“It runs in the family,” Sunset replied, winking at her.

“Guess I’ll have to make room in here for all of you then.” Starlight giggled again.

“I suppose so.” Sunset laughed, shaking her head.

“You better hope they don’t lock you away,” Grey said. “I’m pretty sure they’d take your necklace away from you before putting the straightjacket on ya.”

“I'd never let them take it.” Sunset frowned, clutching her necklace.

“Wow, that necklace sounds important to you,” Starlight commented.

“Grey gave it to me. I'm not gonna lose it.”

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t hear you over the sound of wedding bells in the distance,” Starlight teased with a smirk.

“Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.” Grey shook his head, ruffling Sunny’s hair.

“Yeah, we haven’t even kissed yet,” Sunset said with a chuckle. “But, I’ve got a good feeling I’m keeping Grey around. Gotta keep a good chauffeur.” She nudged his side.

“Uh huh, keep telling yourself that,” Grey laughed, flicking her nose.

“Ugh, wasn’t the car ride up enough flirting and teasing for you two?” Moon groaned. “You’re even worse than Dad and Ms. June.”

“Can not stop, will not stop,” Grey replied, winking at her.

“Yeah, we kinda forgot how to talk to each other like normal human beings.” Sunset giggled. “Even our Mazes and Monsters characters tease each other mercilessly, it drives the rest of the group insane.”

“Ugh, my family is a bunch of nerds,” Starlight lamented.

“Yup,” Sunset agreed. “Moon and I have won tons of awards for math competitions and spelling bees.”

“I bet you're really smart too, Starlight,” Moon said, adjusting her glasses.

“I guess,” Starlight tried to shrug, “kinda been a while since I went to school though.”

“Don't worry about it, we’ll tutor you.” Sunset smiled.

“Yeah, Sunny’s a great tutor,” Moon chimed. “My grades went up really quick after she started tutoring me.”

“It's not that big a deal,” Sunset dismissed.

“I dunno, I think you could be a good professor one day,” Grey said. “You’ve helped me out with my homework too.”

“You're gonna make my head big...” Sunset complained with a blush.

“Something on ya has to be,” Grey teased, putting his hand up to chest level with her and making a pinching motion. She pouted, socking him in the arm.

“You brought that on yourself, Grey,” Moon commented, as he rubbed his arm.

“It was too good to pass up.”

“Do you ever get tired of calling me flat?” Sunset asked with a huff. “My breasts are like… average sized.”

“That's what you think.”

“Grey, you are so lucky there are guards and doctors around,” Sunset said with narrowed eyes. He waved her off, never losing his smile.

“They’re always like this, aren’t they?” Starlight asked, giving Moon a flat look.

“Yeah, they act like they’re married already.”

“Faust forbid if they ever breed,” Starlight said with a shiver.

“Hey don't say that, I wanna be an aunt,” Moon scolded.

“To the snarkiest child on the planet?” Starlight questioned with a quirked brow.

“Now you're just being hyperbolic.”

“Nearly every sentence they’ve said to one another has been a jab,” Starlight pointed out.

“Okay, you have a point there,” Moon conceded.

“Yeesh, we’re not even an actual couple yet and they’re talking about us having kids,” Grey said, looking down at Sunset.

“I do wanna be a mom someday.” Sunset smiled.

“I can picture you being like Dad with your kids,” Moon said with a giggle.

“I can say the same about you, Moon,” Sunset retorted.

“Yeah, but your dad’s awesome,” Grey offered.

“I hope he is,” Starlight sighed, letting herself fall onto her back.

“You’re gonna love him,” Sunset assured, sitting next to her. “He’s basically a genius that acts like a giant kid. He’s even making a robot in his spare time.”

“A robot?” Starlight raised her eyebrow.

“Dead serious,” Moon said. “I’ve even seen the beginnings of it.”

“And what does he do for a living?” Starlight questioned.

“He’s an astrophysicist,” Sunset answered with a smile. “He’s the foremost scientist in his field.”

“Huh... wasn't expecting that.”

“Yeah, he’d be more impressive if he acted like he was the foremost scientist in his field.” Sunset giggled.

“No way.” Moon shook her head. “Then he’d be all stuffy and boring.”

“Yeah, you make a good point,” Sunset agreed.

“Now I'm all excited to meet him.” Starlight smiled, looking up at the ceiling.

“He’ll be here soon,” Sunset assured, putting a hand on her shoulder.

“I wonder if dad will buy her a laptop too?” Moon asked, giggling.

“He has to, it’s a tradition at this point,” Sunset with a sagely nod. “And of course Starlight will get the best one.”

“I think I could get used to being part of this family,” Starlight noted with a soft smile.

“We’re glad to have you, sis.” Sunset smiled sincerely.

“Yeah, the more the merrier,” Moon agreed. Sunset helped Starlight sit up, hugging her tightly. Moon joined in on the hug.

“We’ll always be here for you,” Sunset whispered. Starlight leaned into the hug, trying not to tear up.

“Thank you,” Starlight said, rubbing her chin against Sunset’s shoulder in an attempt at an affectionate gesture.

“Don't worry about it.” Sunset gave her a squeeze. “Us Star children gotta stick together.”

“Ooh, Star Children, I like the sound of that,” Moon said.

“It’s just a happy coincidence that we have similar names.” Sunset beamed, breaking the hug.

“Yeah, we do all have celestial objects in our names,” Starlight noted. “I like the name for our little sisterhood too by the way.”

“And Dad used to say it was just me.” Sunset gazed off, her thoughts returning to the time she barely knew her father. “But, you still have to meet Lemon Zest and Herc.”

“Did someone mention me?” Star Dust said, poking his head into the room.

“Oh hey Dad. We were just telling Glim Glam about our little family.” Sunset moved over so Starlight could get a good look at him.

“Wow, my dad looks like a total nerd,” Starlight commented with a smile.

“Not you too.” Star hung his head, walking inside.

“Maybe if you grew a beard, that could help,” Sunset offered.

“I could try.” Star smiled, walking in. “Hello Starlight.”

“Hello… Dad,” she replied hesitantly.

“You don't have to call me that if you don't want to.” He sat down, still smiling. “Whatever makes you comfortable.”

“Well, it’s just a little weird because I already have a dad,” Starlight replied.

“I look forward to meeting him.” Star rubbed his chin. “Thank him for picking up my slack.”

“Yeah, he’s a pretty nice guy,” Starlight said. “He plays the saxophone in a band.”

“Oh? You play anything?”

“I play the saxophone too,” Starlight replied. “I learned from him.”

“Can we hear it?” Herc asked, barging into the room, June close behind him.

“I would, but my hands are kinda tied at the moment,” Starlight replied, tugging on her jacket.

“Oh sorry.” Herc nodded.

“Starlight, this is your little brother Hercules Nebula and my wife, June Bug,” Star introduced.

“It’s nice to meet you two,” Starlight replied. She turned to Herc. “Hi, little bro.”

“Hi Starry.” Herc waved, not at all bothered by her situation.

“So, Sunny said you were at a soccer game, did your team win?” Starlight asked with a smile.

“We did! I got the winning goal!” Herc beamed, showing off the gap in his teeth.

“Yes, lucky for him, Herc got June’s athleticism,” Star said with a chuckle, ruffling his son’s hair. Herc laughed, pushing Star’s hand away.

“That’s great to hear, Herc,” Starlight said. “I hope your team keeps winning.”

“Thanks Starry!”

“Oh no Herc, she’s already got a nickname. Its Glim Glam.” Sunset grinned mischievously.

“Oh, that’s way better!” Herc beamed. “Thanks Glim Glam!”

“Looks like you're fitting in quite well already.” June sat down, pulling Herc into her lap.

“It’s nice to be welcomed so warmly,” Starlight said, looking around the room.

“That's just the Dust family way.” Star pulled as much of his family as he could into a hug.

“Except Aunt Dust Bowl.” Moon cringed. “They aren't so warm.”

“She’s still a good person, and family,” Star stated.

“Barring that Tiara brat...” June grumbled under her breath.

“Okay… I’ll give you that one,” Star conceded.

“And her mother. Faust, I want to slap her upside the head.” June took in a deep breath, hugging Herc close.

“If you ask me, the parents are more to blame for Diamond’s behavior than anything,” Star commented. “Maybe a summer spent with us would help her out?”

“If you can get her away from that cow.” June sighed. “But, I wouldn’t mind trying a summer with her.” She moved her gaze to Starlight. “Unfortunately, I doubt you’ll be well received by them.”

“I think I wouldn’t care about how I was received by them,” Starlight replied with a frown.

“I'm just letting you know, Dear. You can't imagine how insufferable those people are.”

“Thanks, Ms. June,” Starlight said. “I’ll be sure to put on my best happy face if I ever meet them.”

“Actually Starlight, our family reunion is coming up in a few weeks, why don't you and your parents drop by?”

“If this evaluation goes well, sure,” Starlight agreed.

“I know the family… minus those four, will love you Starlight,” Star told her with a large grin. Starlight turned away, trying to hide the tears in her eyes.


Sunset sat in the car with Grey driving as some music played in the background. “Thanks for driving me to my family’s reunion,” she said, smiling at him.

“Don’t worry about it.” He smiled back. “I wasn't doing anything today anyway.”

“And besides, you’re gonna be part of the family someday.” Sunset giggled.

“Thinking about keeping me?”

“I’ve thought about getting rid of you too,” she teased. “But I suppose you’re cute enough to keep.”

“I see how it is.” He pulled up to her destination, slowing to a stop. “I’ll be rocking around in town, you let me know when you're ready to head back.”

“There’s a place that sells comics and tabletop gaming figures in town,” she told him. “You might like it there.”

“I think I'll check it out.” He smiled. “Try to have fun okay?”

“I will, and text me if you find a ranger figure,” she said, giving him a quick hug as she unbuckled herself.

“You got it, Sunny.” She got out of the car and waved as he pulled away. She then walked toward the site of the reunion. Hearing the multitude of familiar voices, she picked up her pace. Eventually, she saw her family milling about in several groups. “Hi everybody!” she called out, waving.

“Sunny!” Herc rushed over, nearly knocking her over as he ran into her.

“Hey little bro,” Sunset greeted, hugging him and smiling. “Having fun so far?”

“Yeah! Glim Glam's dad is really funny!” Herc tugged on her sleeve, leading her over. She smiled as she saw her father and a larger man laughing uproariously together.

“Hi guys,” Sunset cut in.

“I was wondering when you’d get here.” Star smiled, pulling Sunset into a hug. “Theseus, this is my oldest, Sunset Shimmer. Sunny, this is Theseus, Starlight’s adoptive father.”

“It’s nice to meet you, sir,” Sunset said, holding her hand out.

“Nice to meet you too Sunset.” Theseus gave her a kind smile, giving her a firm handshake.

“Sorry I’m late guys, traffic was brutal,” Sunset said, pulling her hand away from Theseus.

“Don't worry about it,” Star assured her, planting a kiss on her head.

“So, have I missed anything good?” Sunset asked, looking between her family.

“Waltz and Starlight got into a dance off.” Star grinned, gesturing to the gazebo.

“I’m guessing Waltz won that one,” Sunset said with a giggle.

“Why don’t you go see? Besides, Aunt Dust Bowl will be here soon.”

“You got it.” Sunset walked over to the gazebo and saw the contest was still underway.

“Come on! You can do it Glim Glam!” Moon cheered, watching from her perch on the railing.

“Wow, so you’ve picked a favorite sister,” Sunset teased, sitting next to Moon.

“Waltz doesn't need me to cheer for her. Glim Glam though.” Moon gestured to the contestants. Starlight was huffing and puffing as she tried to keep up with Waltz’s moves. Waltz on the other hand, while covered in a thin layer of sweat, was breathing fine and moving effortlessly.

“Woo! Go for it Glim Glam!” Sunset cheered.

“Alright... I give up...” Starlight panted, collapsing against the railing.

“Ya know, you don’t move that bad for a novice,” Waltz commented, wiping the sweat off her brow. “I bet my mom and I could teach you if you’re interested.”

“Thriller is a great teacher,” Sunset added, “She helped me get ready for prom.’

“Yeah, before she taught you you flopped around like a fish in your dress,” Moon teased with a giggle.

“Hey, I never needed to dance before.” Sunset pouted, crossing her arms.

“It’s fine, Sunny,” Waltz assured. “Not everyone’s a natural at dancing. Besides, you’re at least good at slow dancing now, which you’ll need when you and Grey become official.” She nudged Sunset in the side. Sunset rolled her eyes, nudging her back.

“Why does everyone have to comment about Grey and I?” Sunset questioned with a huff.

“Because it’s fun to tease you,” Moon joked, hugging her.

“You’re still just jealous that I’ve got Grey and you still haven’t found a guy,” Sunset teased, hugging Moon back.

“I dunno, maybe she just doesn't like guys?” Waltz asked, putting her hand on Moon’s head.

“Waltz, I’m not a lesbian,” Moon deadpanned. “Thanks for trying to tease me about my sexuality though. Classy move.”

“I'd love you no matter who you like, sis.” Waltz grabbed Moon, giving her a patented twirl hug.

“Same here,” Sunset said with a smile.

“Ditto,” Starlight agreed, giving a shaky thumbs up as she caught her breath.

“I'm not making fun of you, Moon.” Waltz squeezed her sister close. “I'd never joke around about something like that.”

“Alright,” Moon replied with a soft smile. “Thanks, but I’m not going to be bringing home any girlfriends.”

“Is that why Lemon told me you were staring at Sugar’s butt?”

“She had sat in something and I told her about it,” Moon replied with a roll of her eyes. “Funny how Lemon left that detail out.”

“Okay, enough messing with Moon.” Watlz gave her one last squeeze before letting go. “I think the best thing to do now is prepare Starlight for the Riches.”

“I’ve been warned about them before,” Starlight said. “But I’ll take whatever advice you can give.”

“Spoiled’s gonna treat you with so much contempt it’ll hurt.”

“You shouldn’t worry about that though, that’s how she treats everyone,” Sunset assured. “Even her own daughter, it’s kinda scary.”

“Bitch made Moon cry,” Waltz growled.

“Oh, Dad and Thriller gave Spoiled a piece of their mind that day,” Sunset said. “I’ve never seen them that angry before.”

“What happened?” Starlight asked, looking between them.

“They just went off on her,” Waltz explained. “When one wasn’t shouting the other was. It was beautiful and scary all at the same time.”

“No, I meant how’d she make Moon cry?”

“She started making snide comments about her eyebrows and her turtleneck,” Waltz growled. “As if that bitch has any room to make comments about how other people look.”

“She um... also made a lot of comments about...” Moon tapped her fingers together. “Inferior stock...”

“...Why is she invited to these gatherings again?” Starlight asked with a deep frown.

“Because she’s family.” Sunset sighed. “Though, with how Diamond Tiara's grades are slipping, they might dump her on Mom and Dad.”

“Good, hopefully Dad can teach Diamond how to act like a normal decent human being,” Sunset said with a sigh.

“Speak of the devil.” Waltz sighed, watching as a limousine pulled into the parking lot. The Riches’ butler opened the door for the family, the three members of the family stepping out. Diamond and Filthy wore smug smirks on their faces while Spoiled’s nose was upturned as always.

“Ugh, It’s like they suck all the fun out of the area,” Starlight commented with a groan.

“Aunt Dust Bowl married Filthy’s father, Notably Rich,” Sunset explained. “They’re pretty nice people. Those two though, they’re terrible.”

“Yeesh, I can feel the smugness from here,” Starlight said. “Forgive me if I try to avoid them for the rest of the day.”

“I don't blame you.” Sunset gave a weak smile. Another car pulled up, this one rather high end. “Oh! That's Aunt Dust Bowl!” An older man in an expensive yet casual set of clothes stepped out of the driver’s seat, followed closely by a woman dressed in a similar way. She had brown hair done up in a bun and deep brown eyes. She scanned the reunion until her eyes locked on Star.

“Little brother! How are you?!” Dust Bowl greeted with a large smile.

“As good as always B.” Star moved over, pulling his sister into a hug. “Has Notably spoiled you rotten yet?”

“Oh, he’s trying, but I’m still the same as ever,” Dust Bowl replied with a laugh. “I even smoke him in golf now.”

“How have you been, Notably?” Star asked, glancing over at his brother-in-law.

“Every day is a treat with Dusty at my side,” Notably replied, putting an arm around his wife. “Our charity has been getting a lot of traction lately.”

“I'm glad.” Star smiled. “You know, we recently got a new addition to my family.”

“Yes, you mentioned that in our last phone call.” Dust Bowl nodded. “I told you donating to that clinic would lead to a lot of surprises.” She poked her little brother in the chest with a smirk.

“And I'm glad. I have very wonderful children.” Star rubbed his chest. “Starlight, would you mind coming over here please?” Starlight, Sunset and Moon walked over.

“Hello, it’s nice to meet you,” Starlight said, a weak smile on her face. “I’ve heard about you from Sunset and Moon.”

“It's nice to meet you too, Starlight.” Dust Bowl smiled. “I’m glad you’re doing well.”

“I’ve had the support of my family,” Starlight replied, indicating her parents and her sisters. “So it’s been easy to do well.”

“Still.” Dust Bowl took her hand. “I was worried you inherited the worst part of being a genius.”

“I don’t think I’m a genius,” Starlight dismissed with a blush coloring her cheeks. “Sunset and Moon are much smarter than me, they’re the real geniuses.”

“I dunno, Starlight,” Star countered, “I think you just need to apply yourself.”

“In any case, I’m glad you're okay. Some members of our family weren't so lucky.” Dust Bowl reached out, pulling her latest niece into a hug.

“Thank you.” Starlight returned the hug, a small smile on her face. “That means a lot.”

“At this rate, Star, you're gonna have your own think tank,” Notably joked, a friendly smile on his face.

“I think I’d like that,” Star replied with a laugh. “And the newest little star will be a member too.” He pointed at June’s stomach.

“Oh June, you’re expecting?!” Dust Bowl rushed over, nearly knocking Starlight over. Luckily, Notably managed to catch her.

“Please forgive Dust, she gets rather excited.”

“It’s okay.” Starlight smiled.

“Star and I just found out last night,” June told the other woman. “We wanted to tell everyone today.”

“I'm so happy for you!” Dust pulled June into a tight hug. “Notably, when are we going to have a child?”

“We can always try tonight,” Notably told her with a laugh. “The doctor did give the both of us fertility drugs to help with that.”

“I did not need to hear that,” Starlight groaned, making a face.

“Ignore her,” Sunset waved off. “I hope you two have a healthy baby. Are you hoping for a boy, or a girl?”

“A boy.” Dust Bowl pulled away from June. “Too many girls in the family as it is, the boys are rather outnumbered.”

“Yeah, you make a good point,” Moon replied. “I know you’ll be a great mom, Aunt Dust Bowl.” Dust smiled, giving the younger girl a hug.

“Thank you dear, I’m certainly going to try. One can only hope I can be as good a parent as my little brother.” Star smiled, rubbing his neck.

“You’ll be a great mother, Dusty,” Notably assured her, putting his arm around her. “I know it.” He kissed her cheek. Dust leaned on him, a blissful smile on her face.

“Here’s hoping your endeavors are fruitful,” Star offered. “And of course, you’ll be the godmother of the new baby.” He put an arm around June.

“Hey Diamond,” Herc's voice carried over, “Do you wanna play?”

“And what do you want to play?” Diamond asked with an incredulous look.

“Do you play tag?” he asked with a hopeful smile.

“Eww, I might get sweaty if I did that.” Diamond’s face scrunched up.

“So? Exercise is fun!” Herc countered. “Mom says if you exercise a lot, you feel happier.”

“Ugh, I’ll pass.” Diamond turned her nose up.

“Oh okay.” Herc nodded. “How about hide and seek?”

“Sure, you hide first,” Diamond said, hiding a mischievous smirk.

“Okay!” He nodded. “You gotta turn around first.” Diamond turned around and closed her eyes.

“Okay, go hide now,” Diamond told him. He ran off, vanishing from sight. Diamond opened her eyes, went over to the snack table and grabbed a drink. “And I guess I’ll look for him.”

“You guess?” Waltz asked, filling her cup up.

“Hey, it’s better than my first thought of just letting him stay in his hiding spot the whole day.” Diamond shrugged and started to leisurely walk and look for her cousin. Waltz shook her head, keeping her eye on them.

“Well, Diamond must be in a good mood today,” Sunset commented, watching the girl.

“I hope so.” Moon frowned.

“We’ll make sure she doesn’t do anything bad,” Starlight said. Sunset and Moon nodded, the two of them introducing Starlight to the rest of the family.

“Wow, almost everyone’s been great so far,” Starlight said with a bright smile.

“Told you, our family is great.” Sunset grinned, giving her sister a playful shove.

“Yeah, I’m really glad I came here today,” Starlight said, shoving Sunset back. Sunset stumbled a bit, bumping into Spoiled Rich.

“Watch where you step, brat,” Spoiled hissed. “You could’ve damaged this dress.”

“Sorry, Aunt Spoiled.” Sunset gave her a weak smile. “It won't happen again.”

“For your sake, it better not,” Spoiled replied, turning away from Sunset.

“My sake?” Sunset shook her head. She shrugged to Starlight, trying to beat a hasty retreat.

“Ugh, how does anyone stand to be that nasty?” Moon whispered.

“No idea.” Sunset shook her head. “I think it comes from bad morals.”

“Just proves money doesn’t make people better,” Starlight commented. They took up an empty table, looking out across the park. Various members of the family were milling about or chatting in groups, with the kids running about.

“Aside from the bad apples, this is such a perfect day,” Moon said with a smile. She adjusted her glasses, looking between her sisters. “So, how many kids do you think Dad really has?”

“Who can say?” Sunset shrugged. “I mean, that clinic is probably using the sample Dad left until it runs out.”

“And the only way you guys will know about them is if they actually want to meet your dad,” Waltz pointed out.

“Exactly, there’s just so many variables that muddy up making an educated guess,” Sunset said with a frown.

“Hey there is a bright side to it.” Waltz smiled.

“What's that?”

“Imagine if your dad went to one of those commercial clinics. Families would just be using his sample to try and get a genius kid for whatever reason.”

“True, though Dad left the sample before he was an accomplished scientist,” Sunset pointed out.

“Still. The clinic probably would have advertised it after the fact.” Waltz shrugged. “That really is a terrible reason to create a life.”

“I guess, I can imagine that would put a lot of strain on the child to try and be a genius,” Moon commented with a frown.

“Why do you think Dad takes time out for Herc?” Sunset asked. “He’s not really into our turbo nerd stuff.” She couldn't help but giggle. “It’s actually getting him into shape.”

“I bet Ms. June really appreciates that.” Waltz giggled as well.

“The best part is seeing them both trying to keep up with Herc. Talk about fish out of water.”

“Please tell me there are videos of this?” Starlight asked with a grin.

“Why yes Glim Glam there are~” Sunset pulled out her phone, bringing up a video of Star and June, playing soccer with Herc.

“Aww, that’s so cute!” Starlight beamed.

“I bet it makes them feel old,” Waltz joked.

“If you listen closely, you can hear their bones creaking,” Sunset joked. They all shared a laugh, drawing a few glances in their direction.

“I bet Herc is gonna be super popular with the girls in a few years,” Waltz said with a smile.

“Mom will have to beat them off with a stick.” Sunset grinned. “I can totally see her doing it.

“Yeah, she nearly ripped Grey’s head off when she met him,” Moon commented. “Faust help the first girl Herc brings home.”

“Yeah, it took a few days for the nail marks to vanish,” Sunset added.

“The fact that he stuck around after that speaks volumes about how much he likes you,” Waltz commented.

“I know, he’s great...” Sunset sighed, leaning back.

“And to think that when I met you you had a crush on that Alias guy,” Waltz teased, poking Sunset’s cheek.

“Well, this is more than a crush.” Sunset pouted, pushing her hand away

“Aww, is little Sunny in love~” Waltz said, leaning in close to her with a large grin.

“You jealous?” Sunset shot back.

“Nope, I’ve got a boyfriend right now and he’s great,” Waltz replied. “But nice try at teasing.”

“You sure he’s not just trapped in the closet?”

“Ooh, digging up that old chestnut,” Waltz said with a laugh. “No, he’s very straight. I’d give you a list of ways I know, but there’s kids around.”

“I'm glad.” Sunset sighed. “Waiting sucks...”

“Yeah, but the fact that your relationship is based on deeper stuff now will make the physical part way better,” Waltz told her with a smile. “I’m speaking from experience here.”

“I wonder if you could convince his mom to play at your wedding,” Moon spoke up, giggling at the idea.

“Ya know, I still haven’t met his mom,” Sunset said. “I’d ask to, but his family is a touchy subject.”

“Just take it slow, you're already waiting for the fun part,” Waltz advised with a wink.

“Trust me, slow is already the setting we’re on,” Sunset said with a sigh. “If we were going any slower we wouldn’t be moving.”

“You just gotta work on those social links.” Moon beamed.

“Darn it Moonie, you can’t use my love of Persona against me,” Sunset huffed.

“It's all fair game,” Moon snickered.

“What are you two even talking about?” Starlight asked, blinking.

“Persona is a game series,” Moon began, going into lecture mode. “It's like a playable anime, very Neiponese. They translate it into English, but keep it very faithful to the original script.”

“Yeah, the first two stuck more to a standard JRPG formula,” Sunset chimed in. “But being set in modern times made it stand out. But in the third and fourth game they added the social link system. They’re pretty great. We’ll have to let you play them at some point.”

Starlight quickly found herself swept up in her sisters’ video game ramblings, most of which was focused on Persona and its parent series, Shin Megami Tensei. She didn't say it, but it was all going over her head.

“So, when can I play one of these?” Starlight asked.

“You could spend the summer with Dad,” Sunset suggested, “I left most of my gaming stuff home. Don’t have a lot of room in the dorm.”

“I’ll ask my parents if I can,” Starlight said with a smile. “But aren’t you coming home for the summer?”

“Of course.” Sunset nodded. “And, our dear cousin Diamond Tiara might be joining us.”

“Oh, joy.” Starlight let her face flop onto the table.

“Speaking of Diamond.” Waltz looked around. “I haven't seen her or Herc in a while.”

“Well, she was actually looking for Herc, albeit slowly the last I saw,” Sunset said. She stood up. “Come on, let’s go look for them.” The group nodded, rising up to search the park for their younger family members. “Okay, knowing Herc, he’s probably up in a tree. So I’d focus there.”

“Up in a tree?” Starlight asked, heading for the tree line. The others followed after her and continued their search, keeping their eyes peeled for Diamond’s gaudy jewelry.

“Uh... Sunny?” Moon asked, coming to a stop.

“What is…” Sunset paused, following Moon’s gaze. She felt her eye twitch as she saw her little brother lying on the ground and clutching his arm with Diamond standing over him. “Herc!” Sunset practically dashed over, dropping to her knees next to her brother. “Diamond Tiara, you have five seconds to explain to me why my brother is on the ground.“

“He fell out of the tree when I found him,” Diamond answered. “He landed on his arm.”

“Nuh uh!” Herc shook his head, tears running down his face. “She threw rocks at me!”

“You what?!” Sunset roared, doing her best to not choke her cousin. She then covered Herc’s ears. “Why the fuck did you throw rocks at Herc?!”

Diamond frowned, crossing her arms. “I wasn't going to climb up after him.”

“So you threw rocks at him?! He could’ve cracked his head open! There’s being a spoiled little brat, and then there’s being an outright… Ugh! There isn’t a word in the English language that can describe how awful you are!”

“Hold him still.” Waltz knelt down next to them, gently feeling Herc’s arm. “It doesn't feel broken, he’s probably just got a sprain.”

“You got lucky,” Sunset growled at Diamond as she gently picked up Herc. “Next time, try thinking of someone other than yourself.”

“Sunny, it hurts...” Herc whined, looking up at her.

“I know, little bro.” Sunset kissed the top of his head and carried him back to the reunion. “But we’re gonna get you to the doctor and they’ll help you out. Moon,” she turned her head to her younger sister, “grab my phone and text Grey. Tell him I need a ride to the hospital for Herc.”

“Right.” Moon nodded, rushing over and fishing Sunset’s phone out of her pocket.

“I guess I'll go tell your dad.” Waltz stood up, glaring at Diamond.

“Thanks,” Sunset replied, doing her best not to jostle Herc as she carried him towards the parking lot.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment