• Published 19th Jan 2017
  • 617 Views, 0 Comments

Story of Diane Pie: Family Ties - Middle Ground



Now Diane faces the biggest challenge ever: Re-uniting her 'real' family.

  • ...
 0
 617

Chapter 1 - Welcome back to the Family

Why did I decide to do this...? I now sit on the bench inside the Manehatten train station, at 7:02 am, waiting for Pinkie Pie and Maud Pie to arrive and take me to the rock farm. I am so nervous that I was shaking....

"So Diane, are you excited to see them? Your family, I mean?" Miss Jubilee was sitting next to me as we waited. She had bought my ticket for the trip. I even packed up my toothbrush, my mane and tail brush, and my blanket and pillow from my room in a suitcase.

I sighed, "I don't know.... I don't know what they'll do when they see me."

"You do know that they want to see you, right? Pinkie and Maud should have told them about you by now." Miss Jubilee was calm. I wish I could calm down, but I couldn't stop shaking.

"I know.... I just wish I had more time to prepare myself, but you decided to rush me into this two days ago." I was pretty annoyed about everypony rushing me into things...again.

"You told me you wanted to see them...! If I just let you take your time, then you would put it off and try to avoid it...!"

"I would not...!" We continued to argue for a few minutes until we then heard the sound of the train's whistle. The train had finally arrived, and both Pinkie and Maud were probably riding it right now. I then grabbed my suitcase and made my way to the train dock. The train had finally arrived, the whistle gave another toot, and the passengers began walking off the train. We didn't see Pinkie or Maud step off; maybe hey didn't take this train....

"HEY, DIANE...! OVER HERE!" We then turned to our left and saw Pinkie waving at us from her passenger window.

"Well, there they are. You better get on before the train leaves." Miss Jubilee gave me my ticket and I took it.

"I'll be sure to come back soon. Tell everypony back home I'll be back." I hugged Miss Jubilee before I boarded the train.

"Don't worry. We'll be waiting for you. Take care~!" We finished our hug and I then got on the train after a wave goodbye. I made my way to where Pinkie was on the train after giving my ticket to the conductor. I then found Maud standing at the entrance of their room.

"I'm glad you're here, Diane. I hope we didn't keep you waiting." I then see Pinkie poke her head out of the room.

"DIANE...!" She then hugged me tight like always.

"Hello...Pinkie...!" She was smothering me again. We then went into their little room and sat down after Pinkie released me.

"ALL ABOARD...! ALL ABOARD...!" The conductor has made the call and the ponies then cleared the train dock. I then saw Miss Jubilee waving goodbye and I waved back. The train's whistle then made it's toot and the train left the station. I was now on my way back to the rock farm with Pinkie and Maud.

"This is going to be so much fun...! Mom and Dad will love to see you! Limestone and Marble too!" Pinkie was very excited about my visit. I wish I was that excited. But the anticipation was killing me....

"We made a bed for you so you would feel right at home. You'll be sleeping with us sisters."

"Thank you...." We just left Manehatten and I am already homesick. We then passed the Crystal Empire, then Rainbow Falls, and then Apploosa on the way. After nearly 4 hours of riding the train, we finally arrived at the rock farm. There was a train station on the outskirts of the rock farm, so we had to walk over there. We got off the train and I could easily recognize the cloudy area. There were rocks and boulders everywhere with a few trees.

"C'mon...! Everypony is waiting for you! I'll go tell them now!" Pinkie then rushed off, leaving me with Maud.

"I'll walk with you. There is still plenty of time today." We both left the train station and began walking. The place looks so...unchanged. As I looked at the area around me, I felt more and more nostalgic with every sight. I looked to my right and saw a large hill and I knew it was the old mine Pinkie worked in. She her sisters would dig, load, and move crystals and other minerals onto carts almost every day. And on their days off they would play with their echoes and make rock dolls. I then looked to my left and saw the old dirt road that Pinkie and her sisters used to play on. They would play tag, hop scotch, and even make mud pies when it's raining. It was strange to me that even though Pinkie and her family was full of sad faces, they were still able to have happy times. Actually, now that I look back, when did they start smiling...? As we made our way passed the crevice, I then saw Holder's Boulder. It was a large boulder founded by our ancestor and it was thought to help with match-making. It was how Mom and Dad met.

"There is our home." Maud pointed passed Holder's Boulder and we saw the old house Pinkie used to live in before moving to Ponyville. We then saw Pinkie, her sisters, and her parents standing at the front waiting for us. Suddenly, I stopped and froze like a statue. I was so nervous that my body just stopped moving.

"OVER HERE...!" Pinkie called out to us, her parents and sisters then saw us. My heart began racing and my body trembled. I then felt Maud pushing me forward to the house.

"It's alright, Diane. They won't bite." Maud...WHY???!!! I'M NOT READY FOR THIS YET!!! PRINCESS LUNA, SAVE ME!!! We finally got to the front of the house and they now see me even closer.

"Mom, Dad, Limestone, Marble, this is Diane...! Say hi!" Pinkie got next to me and they all looked at me. This is too much...! I'm so scared...! Limestone was gray like Maud but it was a lighter shade, her mane and tail were shorter, and her Cutie Mark was a lime next to a rock. She walked up to me and glared at me. I can remember how harsh she was about working as Pinkie grew up.

"So you're Diane Cherry pie, huh?" She sounded pretty rough like always. I gave a little nod. My voice wouldn't make a sound. Limestone continued to glare at me until she her cheeks then turned bright red. And then without warning, she embraced me.

"W-Welcome home, little sis...." Wait...what? I then see Marble walk up to me. I remember that was always rather quiet and reserved.

"....hi...." She sounded as quiet as I remembered. Her mane and tail were the longest, her coat was the lightest color of gray, and her Cutie Mark were three purple pebbles.

"Um...hello...." I think my voice was being squeezed my something. I could barely breathe.

"Don't worry, Diane is just nervous. She's been scared about coming here. I'll take her suitcase into our room." Maud then walked into the house carrying my suitcase. I then see Cloudy Quartz, my mother, and Igneous Pie, my father, walk up to me. Cloudy Quartz's coat, mane, and tail were similar to Marble's, she wore her mane in bun, she wore glasses, and her Cutie Mark were three rocks. Igneous Pie had a brown coat, he wore a hat and tie, his mane and tail were gray, and his Cutie Mark was a pickaxe. They both looked at me and I couldn't come up with anything to say to them. I couldn't even introduce myself to them.

"Welcome, Diane. I am aware that you have been living with Miss Cherry Jubilee for a long time now. She is a good friend of ours." So they do know her. Mother sounded happy to see me even though we just met.

"When we heard that you were coming, we never thought you would look so much like Pinkie. I thought I was seeing double." Igneous gave a slight chuckle.

"Can we keep her?" Limestone was still hugging me. Marble then nodded, agreeing with Limestone as she started hugging me as well.

"She isn't a pet, silly...! She's our family too!" Pinkie is still so positive.

"Um...you don't mind...?" I finally spoke.

Mother chuckled, "Why in Equestria would we mind? You're just adorable." She then joined Limestone and Marble in hugging me. I'm getting a lot of hugs lately....

"Come inside, Diane. We have just finished preparing lunch. I hope you like Three Stone Stew." At Father's insistence, we then began walking inside the house and then into the kitchen. I was able to catch a glimpse of the living room Pinkie and the family used to spend time together. Mother would read us stories about knights defeating the bad guys and saving Equestria before we went to bed. I could smell the familiar scent of the stew Mother and Father cooked when Pinkie was young. It smelled earthy, but rich. We then sat down at the dinner table and awaited for Maud to return. Limestone was passing out everypony's plates and Marble was helping Mother with the stew. Father and Pinkie were setting up the spoons and forks. I just sat in my seat.

"Um...do any of you need any help?" I know I'm supposed to be their guest, but I should at least help them somehow.

"It's fine...! You must be tired from our trip! Let us treat you!" Limestone sounded nervous and her cheeks were still bright red.

"Most of the preparation had been done by the time you arrived. You have no need to trouble yourself." Father and Pinkie had finished setting up the forks and spoons, Limestone got each of us our own bowls, and Mother and Marble has just finished preparing the stew.

"Maud...! It's lunch time!"

"I'm right here, Pinkie. You don't have to shout. Boulder is now taking his nap." Maud walked into the kitchen just as Pinkie called out to her. They all then sat down at the dinner table after Mother poured the stew into each of our bowls. The stew was golden with carrots, potatoes, and three small stones inside the broth. It smelled lovely. We each had a piece of bread to go with our stew. They all looked at me, waiting for me to take the first bite. I took my spoon and ate one of the stones and ate it whole. It was crunchy, but it softened quickly as I chewed.

"It's good." With that said, they all smiled and began eating. At least it's no longer awkward.

"So Diane, what do you do in Manehatten? We don't usually visit the city that much." I thought Pinkie and Maud told them about me. I guess they didn't tell them everything.

'Well, I work at a bakery with a pony named Tough Love. She's really nice and she taught me how to bake....a little." They all looked impressed.

"I would love to try out your baking. What do you make?" Mother sounded very interested.

"I can make muffins and cupcakes and...that's it. I haven't really learned how to make cakes yet."

"I wanna try...!" Of course Pinkie would want to try my baking. We continued talking about myself. It lasted for a few minutes.

"So...um...how do you all feel about this? About me...?" I had to know. They all stopped eating when I asked and looked away for a minute.

Father cleared his throat, "To be honestly, we're all quite shocked by all this. When Pinkie and Maud told us about you, we did not believe them. But Princess Luna herself convinced us otherwise. And now that you are here, we're unsure of what to do...." I'm not surprised really. If this was all reversed, I would feel the same way.

"What I myself didn't expect was that I had another daughter without even knowing all this time. Even if you were born through magic." Mother must have been the most shocked....

"I don't really know how 'Magic' works, but I don't care. You're still technically our family. That's all that matters." I am glad Limestone accepts me, though I'm still doubtful....

"....you seem...nice...." Marble was quiet, but I could hear her just fine.

"I was actually surprised to see Diane myself in Manehatten. I'm just glad we have the chance to get to know each other more." Maud always seems to know what to say. They all agreed with Maud. I felt a little relieved that they all want to get to know me more despite how different I was to them.

"We're going to have lots of fun...! We should have a party!" Pinkie sure loves her parties....

"Pinkie, save the party for next time. Diane just got here."

"Okay Limestone...." Pinkie was disappointed. Honestly, I'm rather tired from all that has been happening lately....

"Right now, we want you to feel welcome here. This is your home if you ever need it." Father's words brought me relief.

I smiled, "Thank you...all of you." I'm so glad they all accept me. We then continued to eat our stew before it became cold. I look forward to the rest of my visit.