• Published 10th Feb 2017
  • 531 Views, 6 Comments

Mares und Panzer - Indulgence



A possible Equestrian future: one of a new post-war form of order and where battling in tanks is a national sport (unrepentant Girls und Panzer crossover).

  • ...
1
 6
 531

Der Kampf auf dem Eis

Ice and snow, there was little else in the frozen world. Cold windblown flurries whirled up from the surrounding landscape, spiralling gritty lines in the air as they made visible the ether’s unseen currents. Granted flight the chill was therefore made a far more powerful predator, given the strength to pounce and bite with greater ferocity, as well it did. Actual features were difficult to distinguish on this colour stripped plateau, its thick white covering having sapped or blotted out anything remotely warmer, and this seemed to further sharpen the weather’s fangs.

Dawn pulled her coat’s hood down tighter against her head, succumbing to a shiver, in part a victim to an icy blast and equally to a shot of adrenaline served by her own body as it revved up. In the Panther’s command cupola she stood exposed to the worst of both. She was not quite alone however, flanked on each side by a trio of matching commanders, all at attention atop their vehicles, readying themselves on the edge of an approaching abyss.

The pale cream captain looked outward from her fleeced cocoon, receiving a second jolt to her nervous system as she took in the only real monuments in the absence. Contrastingly dark silhouettes loomed ahead of them, as a comparative hoard just more than double their number. Fifteen tanks stared back, set neatly in two rows to their one, their forms emblazoned with the rising Canterlot sun disc. Most bar one of the enemy were simplistic hulking shapes, predominately made up of turretless tank hunting vehicles. These shared much of the shape of their own first Rhino or the H-type Panthers of Hollow Shades, if either of these lesser creatures had been forcibly fed a prolonged regimen of growth tonics. Vast boxy forecastles encased their fixed guns, their only real curves existing in their titanic supporting drive trains and the tapering sconces in which these weapons were set. Generally they lacked the rugged or refined beauty of their comparable kin, even Toffee admitting that these ‘ET-1Hs’ as she had identified them were ugly.1

The second major component to Canterlot’s force shared a similar brutality in their aspect, made up of six other heavily armoured monsters. These in difference wore their bunker-like heads at the rear of their hulls, the cannons which these protected requiring the addition of struts part way along their length in order to support them as they extended across and then far beyond the end of their substructures. Whereas their allies little deserved their title of Tigers, a name which conveyed an agility that they obviously lacked, these Elephants well suited theirs.2 Within all these brutalist hulks Canterlot’s final vehicle was hard to pick out.

‘The match will begin on the sound of the gun!’ An announcer’s voice sounded out relatively clearly in the freezing wind, heavily reliant on the aid of her microphone in order to overcome its resistance.

Engines, which had been purring constantly to keep themselves warm, let out gouts of smoke to join the falling snowflakes as they were allowed to truly rouse themselves. A couple of hatches clanged shut on Dawn’s either side, but she would remain on her perch; the added visibility was easily worth the numb hooves.

Here we go!

*Bang!*

---

‘Okay, so these are they.’ Having taken the lead on the way to the repair shed’s far corner, Blossom turned about, adding a minor flourish as she introduced the war machines behind her. ‘Allow me to present our latest additions: the Rhino Two and the Rhino Five, also known as the Two-headed Rhino for obvious reasons.’

‘They look amazing!’ Dawn agreed with her friend’s sentiment, ‘particularly bearing in mind they were on that lakebed for… do we even know how long?’

Remarkably the two sister vehicles barely resembled the twisted and rusting lumps which had been dragged from the bottom of the oasis. From the waist down the pair quite obviously resembled the earlier machine they had evolved from. It was when their turrets were considered that they varied, evidently developed with the principal of ‘more is more’. The Rhino Two had an armoured shed for a weapon mount, more than doubling the vehicle’s height with this addition. It meanwhile bore a high calibre howitzer for its armament, as did its sibling alongside. For the younger of the two however this was not its only gun. In addition to this on the Rhino Five a second smaller turret had been fitted just off centre in the shadow of its first, although at present its aperture was empty.

‘Not a clue’ the hazel unicorn shook her head. ‘From my brief look at the school’s files it’s clear that whoever the old archivist was she had no clue about what she was doing. We don’t have any documents on some of the tank’s we’ve found, let alone info on their service history and fate!’

‘That’s insane!’

‘Totally’ Blossom concurred. ‘It’s not like we’re talking about a few missing hoofballs or some other sports equipment. They’re freaking war machines, no matter how old they are, and nopony seems to have bothered to keep track of them! Anyhow’ she shrugged, ‘stealing Toff’s job: they’re both heavy duty and multipurpose. Their guns can work in either direct or indirect fire role, so along with Dice’s we’ve got the makings of an artillery unit, whilst their armour’s thick enough to take quite a beating. Their one weakness is that they’re not exactly nippy, not as slow as some others, but certainly not quick.’

Dawn nodded, considering. ‘At this point I reckon anything we can get our hooves on would be a help.’ She gave the new tanks a second thoughtful look over. They had been painted a simply functional shade of woodland green (matching the Hunting Rhino already in their arsenal) with the single colourful addition of a logo on their bodywork. Within a circular border, a yellow scorpion reared aggressively as it burst through an exploding red apple, the barb of its stinger replaced with a smoking cannon barrel. ‘Belle really did a great job with that.’

‘Too true. If anypony could get could get Blue to cooperate with somepony else it would be her.’ The loader pointed back to the ER-5. ‘Since the artists joined up they’ve made short work of adding them to everypony’s vehicles, plus they’ve got some other ideas for when we’ve got more time to play around with paintwork.’

The captain took a few steps, taking in the new tanks in a short semicircle. ‘Hold on, what’s that mean?’ She pointed to a scrawl of white lettering painted across the previously hidden side of the ER-2’s turret.

Blossom followed the indicating gesture and immediately face-hoofed. ‘It means “all power to the ponytariat”’ she translated the strange writing. ‘It’s great that Beret and the rest are keen, but I made it perfectly clear that the rules prohibited the use of the sport as a political platform. I swear unless you’re spieling off a quote from Marex they’re bucking deaf! Don’t worry; I’ll get them to remove it.’

‘Don’t sweat it. Like you said it’s good that they’re fired up, so as long as it’s gone before the next match it should be okay.’ Dawn turned along with her taller crewmare to the hectic work of the rest of the maintenance bays. Everypony was busy without exception, sparks flying and hammer falls sounding to fill the air of the cavern. In the building’s eaves a flock of cranes flitted back and forth, lending their strength to the assembly occurring below. From one of these a reinforced sheet of armour plate was suspended, gradually being guided into place on the Little Lion by a host of hooves, all being marshalled by Crystal’s shining form atop her tank’s turret.

‘You should know that Belle thinks she’s changed a lot, in a good way.’

‘Who has?’

Blossom raised an eyebrow. ‘Oh I don’t know, maybe the she who your eyes are usually glued to and you’re currently staring at!’ The unicorn could not help a giggle as pink flushed Dawn’s cheeks, but her expression quickly turned back to a tender seriousness. ‘It may not be obvious to everypony, but it’s pretty clear that you like her, so you should tell her how you feel. She said with no hint of hypocrisy’ the unicorn added at a near inaudible whisper.

---

Spread out in a formation like an arrowhead three tanks tore across the landscape, the Panther at their head, leading the Little Lion and Tornado closely following behind. Powdery snow whirled up about their thundering treads, blowing up in airy waves over the vehicles’ prows as they ploughed through the loose surface. The trio all galloped forward with turrets swivelled in reverse. Shells crashed around them, throwing up plumes of earth and instantly vaporised ice, fired from two hordes of titans which chased them. Their pursuers were as two great claws of seven vehicles closing ever tighter around their prey. The pursued were however not going down easy, weaving around each attempted shot whilst maintaining their group’s structure, occasionally making their own defiant replies.

Frozen flakes blew unpleasantly up Dawn’s back, clawing at her form. She remained oblivious to this though, more concerned with holding her wildly flapping mane back against her head, aiming to keep clear her view of the enemy. She watched as the great pincers drew in closer, threatening blasts likewise coming nearer to finding their mark. Canterlot’s team was doubly impressive. For one thing their manoeuvres were artfully orchestrated; meanwhile these feats were more astounding for their being achieved with earth vehicles, totally unsuited for the magical style. Underneath this however it was clear that the veteran team was not enjoying the conditions, its heavier vehicles visibly struggling to meet their drivers’ demands.

‘All other tanks in position ready to assist’ Coquette called across her mic.

‘Okay, deploy smoke on my signal.’ The captain kept her vision trained behind them, keeping all covered by her gaze, but most importantly remaining glued to the one exceptional enemy Elephant, a machine sporting the addition of a coloured pennant. Canterlot’s vice grip tightened in increments, but she waited for the very last moment: a point when there course would be hard to correct, but before they got into truly effective range. ‘Now!’

As one the three vehicles released a torrent of smoke canisters, fired from clusters of tubes on their turrets’ edges, bursting to form a blinding wall between themselves and their adversaries. Obscured they peeled away, diverting their course whilst simultaneously the detonation of more smoke charges could be heard, heralding the arrival of the rest of their team. From one side charged the hunting and double-headed variants of the Rhino, whilst from the other side the third of these sisters did the same, accompanied by the Hydra One. Dawn’s trio changed direction, still formed in an aggressive wedge, and with them Appleoosa’s team went on the attack, breaking through their own smoke screens on three sides to crush their now boxed in enemy on three sides.

---

‘As far as the budget’s concerned we’re pretty flush’ Toffee reported, passing over an impossibly complex table of numbers. ‘Through a combination of donations from other clubs and all the fundraising the council and campaigners have done we’re rolling in funding compared to what we had previously.’

Dawn took in the offered sheet, more taking note of the plethora of names which had lent their support than the detailed amounts listed. It was a lot to take in. On the one hoof the sight created a fresh pressurised hurt in her guts, each title representing another set of hopes to bear on her shoulders. On the other though, each was also a stone, together building a great foundation of intense support. For all her nerves she felt strong as she crested this wave. Back in reality the pair sat on a couple of ammo boxes around an upturned crate, its surface littered with a variety of papers and diagrams. ‘So how can we put everypony’s help to good use? Have we got enough for another vehicle?’

‘Yes actually’ the resident expert admitted, ‘maybe even a couple if we eked it out, limiting ourselves to lighter or older models, but I don’t reckon that’d be the best plan. It’d take time to get new kit here and then get it match ready, plus we’d have to source and train more crew which we don’t necessarily have.’

‘Shame’ the captain nodded, becoming a knowing smile. ‘So what’s your battle plan then, cos I know you’ve got one.’

‘Upgrades’ Toffee answered, beaming back, ‘we maximise what we’ve got and can operate. Now, times against us despite our resources, so we can’t do anything too complex yet, but more arms and armour would be an obvious start point.’ She spun round a broad sheet displaying a variety of styles of additional plating, some to be riveted directly to a vehicle’s hull, whilst others overhung their sides to protect their caterpillar treads or were otherwise set on scaffolds about their turrets. ‘At the very least all our vehicles can mount track and turret skirts.’

‘All good, except that’ll mean added weight, so… we should leave the Little Lion and the Tornado without for now for the sake of speed.’ As she reluctantly spoke it a big part of Dawn rebelled against the decision of her better judgement, much more in favour of providing the former with as much protection as possible. She jotted a few price notes. ‘What about weapons?’

‘We’re limited by our time frame as far as more extensive refits are concerned. I think this is possible though.’ The farmer picked out a trio of designs. ‘Currently the extra turrets on the EH-1 and ER-5 don’t really do a lot, so I think we should change them out with 45 millimetre cannons based off the Hydra 35’s design. Honestly other than the occasional use of tracer it’s not entirely clear why anypony bothers with machineguns in the sport anymore. Additionally we could try upgrade the Panther to an 88 millimetre. Hopefully it shouldn’t take too much more modification than a counterweight and new sconce. That’s all I’ve got.’

Dawn jotted down more notes, skimming across the rest of the sheets littering their impromptu desk, equally perusing past experience in her mind’s eye. ‘I agree with all, and we can easily afford it. My one addition would be smoke projectors for everypony. Although that’ll probably mean a few extra training sessions, we could definitely fit them in the time we’ve got.’ Her eyes fell on the plans for a tank which she knew was not one of theirs. ‘What’s this?’

‘Thanks for the reminder’ Toffee answered after a quick look at the image. ‘That’s “the Racket”, or more correctly it’s an experimental version of the Leopard Four, fitted with a quadruple rocket artillery battery.3 As Canterlot’s got one I figured you should know its specs.’

The architect’s picture depicted a strangely modern looking vehicle, or at least its top half was, whereas its hull was more common or garden tank. Instead of a true turret it had a quartet of rectangular tubes which could be elevated or rotated as a set. From the design it was revealed that each of these held a single massive missile, far outclassing the relatively puny projectiles the Hexer had shot.

‘Why “the Racket”?’

‘You’ll see, or rather hear, when it fires. If you thought Las Pegasus’ rockets were loud you ain’t heard nothing yet!’

---

Shells screamed through the air and metal shrieked its resistance as blasts forced it to buckle. An angry inferno had killed the cold, devoured by a host of raging engines whilst these same beasts’ muzzles blazed at one another, throwing out their fiery tongues with each shot. The Panther (and Dawn atop its turret by extension) surged as part of this insane melee, built of swerving vehicles on a pitch of snow where all battle lines had blurred. It was chaos, but in such close proximity long guns gave no advantage and those who could move the quickest had the upper hoof.

‘Buck yeah!’

The Hydra hurtled past, its commander’s voice somehow managing to cut through all the other noise as it shouted, tones a strange amalgam of rage and joy. A pair of bulkier adversaries followed close on her tail, their main arms bellowing back. For the most part their shots were all impotent anger, but then one of the Tiger’s gunner’s found her mark, if only passingly, against the side of Rook’s vehicle. The shell exploded where the tank’s drive wheel would have been unprotected were it not for the armoured skirt which now shielded it, the plate instead being torn away by the blow.

‘Not this time!’

Rook’s war machine skidded abruptly, rounding on its enemies with all its guns turned to bear. The three cannons roared in unison in a full broadside, rocking the vehicle beneath them and bludgeoning the foe at close range. One Tiger succumbed and before its ally could do anything to even the score the Hydra leapt back into motion, its commander laughing from atop its central turret, drunk on the soaring sensation of battle.

An ear splitting whistle screeched from above, pulling Dawn back into her own body in time to witness a fuel barrel sized rocket slam down out of the sky, swiftly followed by three more. Craters blew up in their path as frozen earth was forced to mushroom upward.

‘That’s the Racket!’ Toffee called across the internal coms rather redundantly, adding a low curse as she narrowly weaved between the newly formed pitfalls. ‘They’re on the ropes if they’re firing into the midst of their own vehicles, but they’ve also got a bead on us. They’ll adjust range and be more accurate next time, and if they get the flag it’s obviously over!’

Listening, heedless of the surrounding conflict even as blackened dirt blew through her mane, Dawn’s adrenaline fuelled brain raced through options with remarkable clarity. ‘General coms: main force form up on us’ she returned with only a momentary pause, ‘we’ll run and gun to the pass at K3. Crystal and Lens meanwhile please seek and destroy their artillery, we’re counting on you.’

Through the haze of smoke and flame Appleoosa’s five larger tanks reunited, all battered by the brawl they had instigated, but still faring better than their adversaries. In single file the quintet rolled out, departing the chaos as the enemy tried to restore their shattered formations. Two more meanwhile departed in the opposite direction, skipping light and fast across the drifts.

---

*Bang!*

A rank of cannons fired together, their shots whizzing towards a hillock and a set of targets stood up before it. Only one of the three species of Rhino scored a hit, but the other two were not far from the mark, despite the inexperience of their handlers.

‘They’ve been practicing hard’ Coquette observed, taking a sip from her lemonade. ‘Dice reckons they’ll be able to move on to working on plunging fire in a couple of days.’

Dawn sat sprawled next to the other earth mare on a checked blanket beneath a parasol, together enjoying their lunch beside the firing line of war machines. The fields would have been an almost idyllic setting were it not for the regular roar of artillery, but neither seemed to really notice. ‘Impressive. Did they have any past experience before they started?’

‘Nope, exactly zilch to be honest. Although Dice and Split can claim some of the credit, most of what they’ve achieved is off their own backs. It kinda helps that they’ve got an inspiring captain to focus on though.’

‘Not exactly true’ the cream commander countered, cheeks bearing a light pink stain.

‘Afraid so, even if you’re too modest to admit it’ Coquette shook her head, ‘and everypony else thinks so too, so I’m more than right. Moving on though, before you can even try to say otherwise, I’ll do proper intros once they’ve finished, but for now I’ll give you an overview.’ She pointed first to the dual turreted Rhino Five. ‘The artists’ commander is Abstract Print, but she prefers Abby. A couple of their group are extensions of Rook’s crowd, but mostly they’re the carefree creative sort, mostly going for the windswept and interesting kinda vibe, although Abby actually pulls it off quite well.’

‘They don’t sound like the types to be into this.’

‘True, but with all things considered do we really fit the expected bill either?’ The golden earth mare stroked her chin in thought. ‘From memory: she said something about “inspiration in the unknown” and “life reduced to its fundamental elements” if that’s any kind of explanation.’ She moved on to gesturing at the box-turreted Rhino Two. ‘The next gang are from the “campaigners” as somepony has put me under orders to call them, definitely not stoners. Beret’s at their head and their determined I’ll give ‘em that, but as far as a motivation’s concerned I reckon they’re credit chasing even if they might say otherwise.’

‘Their numbers will be a help regardless.’ Dawn watched the trio take another shot at the targets, this time succeeding in scoring hits. Happy cheers from within their hulls raised a smile to her lips. In the corner of her vision though, something else caught her eye.

Elsewhere in the baked hard dunes others were likewise putting in the extra time for practice, their team’s light and cruiser tanks racing each other in the noontime sun. They moved fluidly, like pegasus dogfighting as they darted around one another. Both deftly leapt across a deep furrow in their path, the image sparking with it déjà vu back to the characters of the introductory film, now seeming an age in the past. Shimmering through the heat haze Crystal was clearly visible commanding her Little Lion, sparkling visage consumed by gleeful laughter, a sight which Dawn could not help but appreciate.

‘You should really say something to her you know, you’ll probably be pleasantly surprised. It’s no good to anypony if you just keep stuff bottled up inside…’ Coquette’s voice began warm and supportive at Dawn’s side, but it shrunk to a mutter as its last few words petered out.

---

‘We’ll hold the line here, the rest of you regroup and finish this!’

‘We can’t leave you!’

‘Just get moving!’ Beret shouted across the coms. ‘Our engine’s not cooperating so we’d just slow you down. This way we can buy some time and maybe take a couple with us. Now go!’

A slim gap lay open between two steep hillsides of glacial looking ice and rock, into which a line of four tanks streamed, seeking safety and escape in its confines. The Panther was the last to duck inside, firing a parting shot behind as the battle line of opponents thundered closer. With some guilty respect Dawn watched Split’s last shot relieve an enemy Elephant of its tread and then their Rhino Two pulled across the opening. The heavy tank set itself at an angle, becoming an armoured barricade blocking the path. Only its turret stirred in the face of the onslaught bearing down upon it, its gun-howitzer burning through its ammunition store in a rapid succession of shots.

‘Not one step backward!’

---

‘Hey Dawn!’ Rook beamed, looking down from a perch alongside the Hydra One’s secondary aft turret. ‘How’re you doing?’

‘Fine thanks’ the captain smiled back, ‘everything’s pretty much healed up, so all good.’ She took a step towards a set of access steps. ‘I just wanted to see how the additions were going…’

‘Please, allow me.’

Before Dawn could make an interjection the electric blue unicorn sparked up a similarly toned pulse of power around her horn, summoning a matching glow around the approaching earth mare. In of itself the sensation was not unpleasant, more the opposite, making her every nerve ending tingle warmly, only making it seem weirder. The magic almost had the soft feeling of a quilt, except that it was still clear that its touch was animate, like its owner was directly holding her. Outwardly struck dumb, whilst her mind began an argument within itself over what was happening, she was floated up and gently deposited at the unicorn’s side.

‘Your face is a picture!’ Rook laughed. ‘You look like you’ve never been levitated before!’

Dawn burned, perfectly aware of how pink she must have gone. ‘Well… no actually not really, or at least not like that.’

‘Buck, really?’ The Hydra’s commander winced in recognising her error, her ears falling slightly, looking uncharacteristically awkward, like an actress who had messed up her lines. ‘Sorry, I didn’t mean anything by it, unless you…’

‘No, it’s okay. I mean, the last time was under rather… different circumstances’ the captain struggled over her words, trying to think them through whilst simultaneously suppressing a few other things which reared in her mind. At the same time there was a degree of self-reproach, not liking the expression she painted on the other mare’s features. ‘Sorry… I didn’t mean to make stuff weird.’

Rook ran a forehoof through the longer side of her mane. ‘Do you want to switch back to talking about upgrades?’ she offered, still concerned but reading the silence.

Dawn nodded thankfully.

‘Okay then, we finished fitting the extra armour yesterday, which pretty much covers up all of our previously exposed parts. As for the guns: this rear one’s mostly good to go’ she pointed to the nearby secondary armament, ‘and we’ll be fitting the front one this afternoon. Additionally the ammo store’s already been converted. Its size will mean we’ll have far fewer shots, but at least they’ll do more than the peashooters we had before. Other than that all there’ll be left to do is recalibrate the sights and see how she handles with the added weight. How’s yours going?’

‘Erm… pretty much finished. The skirts are fitted, and that’s all there really was to do cos we’re not changing the gun, which has Split disappointed. She was looking forward to the higher calibre, but this way we’ll have more ammunition and the turret would’ve in fact needed major changes to make it work. Plus, although I don’t exactly understand it, Bloss did the maths and our current cannon’s bore and length actually has a higher muzzle velocity than the eighty-eight we could equip.’

‘I’ve never really got physics either, but if Corset says so you can guarantee it’s legit. Everypony else is mostly sorted as well right?’

‘Yep, more or less.’

‘Great.’ Rook slowly raised a forehoof, elevating an eyebrow to ask permission before she brought it to her captain’s shoulder. ‘Are you sure you’re okay? I won’t pry, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t care about you, and I’m here if you ever want to talk about anything.’

‘Thank you’ Dawn answered honestly, feeling the support of the other’s hoof and, although not enjoying the concern etched look which accompanied it, appreciating the cares which it signified. ‘I think I’m okay.’

---

‘Appleoosa is victorious!’

A horn sounded, calling an official end to the game and unintentionally the day along with it, the reds and oranges of dusk having begun to glow from behind the cloud cover. Dawn’s war beast grumbled to a halt, at long last granted a rest, its engine ceasing its constant labours and bringing with that an alien quiet. Elsewhere on the field dark grey plumes rose from a good number of enemy carcasses awaiting the aid of a recovery vehicle, their smoke rising into the sky from which a sprinkling of snowflakes was still falling. The captain let out a long sigh, letting it all sink in, recovering mind as yet to fully register the announcer’s words.

From her position below in the driver’s seat Toffee sounded like she was in a similar state, nothing more than her heavy breathing along with the occasional ‘sweet Celestia!’ coming across the mic which she was obviously unaware was still switched on.

‘Buck yes!’ Split’s celebrations in contrast were far louder, if no more truly eloquent, accompanied by the sound of her rapping her hooves jubilantly against the roof. ‘Totally freaking bucking yes!’

Outside more of Appleoosa’s force pulled up alongside their leader, bringing their vehicles to a stop, whilst the survivors from amongst their rivals likewise formed up as a row opposite. Everywhere hatches swung open, figures emerging into the chilled air. Dawn found herself following suit, slipping out and the hopping down from her machine, the rest of her crew behind her. The two adversaries faced each other.

‘Glorious game!’ Canterlot’s captain stepped out from the crowd, a deep lavender unicorn, dressed like her teammates in a stark white tunic bisected by a golden sash, for anypony else parade attire not mere match uniform. ‘Simply glorious! Thank you!’ She led her comrades in a bow which was similarly reciprocated. ‘However’ she continued, features turning into a frown, ‘I’m afraid that despite your impressive display as opponents we must demand an immediate rematch.’

‘Er… thanks, but what?’ Dawn asked, infinitely confused and much mirrored by her allies. ‘What do you mean by that? Why?’

The rival captain’s face remained serious. ‘Nothing personal of course, but rather for the sake of honour’ she answered, hovering up a ball of snow from behind her in a corona of magic. She broke into a grin with a giggle as the rest of her allies produced similar projectiles. ‘Now, open fire!’

‘Cover!’ Dawn yelled, throwing herself to the deck as a mass of snowballs were hurled their way. ‘Return fire!’

Everypony was consumed by laughter as the two sides exchanged salvoes, forcing each other back behind their parked vehicles. This fresh battle grew as the rest of their respective teams ran up, adding to each group’s number as they joined in, and would go on into the evening.

---

‘So we’ve reached the halfway point then, and you’ve kept to your side of the bargain.’ Dawn stood up central at the front of the maintenance shed, for a second time addressing her armoured audience. She raised a forehoof, tracing the line formed beneath her fur running from the arch of her left eyebrow and into her fringe. ‘Well for the most part at least, and so have I… or at least I’ve tried to.’

Her listeners had changed a bit since the last private conversation she had taken with them, most having gained in their already imposing stature, forms grown with the addition of new armour. As before they looked down on her, but unlike the last time she did not feel quite so crushed beneath the weight of their gazes, more at ease both with them and herself. This was also despite the growth in their ranks, with two additions on the end of their neatly assembled number.

‘It’s been far from easy, but we’ve come this far together, against all the odds.’ The captain looked to each of the mismatched war beasts in turn, taking in each individual’s disparate facets, from their unique structure to their armament, as well as the certain something akin to personality which stemmed from their unique forms and functions. Although in contrast to the clear unity of most of the teams they had faced their group could look mismatched or messy, they had all played their part, all having a purpose in their success together. ‘I don’t want to stop now’ she decided, her words as confident as they were definitive. ‘So…’

‘Talking to the tanks probably puts you on Toff levels of lunacy you know.’

Buck!

Dawn froze, ears standing straight upright and fur bristling as if she had been struck by an electric shock instead of just the recognisable tones of a certain pink pegasus. ‘Erm… oh, I… er…’

Eloquent as ever!

The captain’s voice failed to achieve much more, quite effectively stunned by the other mare’s slightly smirking deadpan, remaining dumb as she found Split leant against the frame of the shed’s ajar doorway.

And you’re blushing again! Hooray!

‘You say you’re no good at speeches, but that was on the cusp of getting good.’ The gunner obviously tried and failed to suppress a giggle. ‘Sorry, I didn’t mean to freak you out quite so much. A bit definitely I’ll admit, although it’s not exactly my fault that you go all adorable when you’re embarrassed, so you’re at least part to blame too.’ She straightened up, drawing to the earth mare’s side and in this turning her back about so they both faced the rank of armoured vehicles. ‘Your audience is beginning to look impressive, almost worthy. Anyway, Bloss sent me to find you. We’re all doing dinner at hers if you’re up for it?’

Words please!

‘Er… yeah, sounds good.’ Dawn managed to find her smile along with her words, although her teammate was making it far from easy to relocate her hoofing, spoken compliments and grinning expression keeping it from her. The critical tone of her mind, caught entirely off guard, did not help either, but with some effort she called it back to heel along with her burning cheeks. She followed Split’s gaze to the assortment of tanks and that struck a note with her memory. ‘I’ve been meaning to thank you.’

‘For anything in particular?’

‘For that mostly’ she answered, pointing to the Hydra One. ‘I went over the books with Toff when we were organising all our purchases. You pretty much singlehoofedly paid for all its upgrades. So yeah, thank you, from everypony not just me.’

‘Oh, that.’ Split’s features darkened slightly, almost unperceivably, but it was still picked up upon. ‘Don’t mention it.’

‘If you don’t mind me asking though, yours was the single largest donation out of everypony, so where’d…’

‘The money came from my dad.’ To the point, the answer beat the oncoming question. Its voice however lacked the warmth or nonchalance it normally had. Split’s eyes remained ahead of her.

Dawn frowned at the other mare, not expecting the reaction. ‘Oh, well thanks to him then.’

The athlete snorted. ‘One: he doesn’t deserve that, and two: he’d hardly understand it anyway. It’s not like he gives a buck.’ She shrugged carelessly, but her shoulders sagged a little, betraying feelings otherwise.

‘Sorry, I didn’t mean…’

‘Don’t apologise.’ Split abruptly shook her head. ‘I should be sorry for being a total downer.’

‘I didn’t mean to pry.’

‘No no, some explanation would be fairer. “Dad” lives at “home” in Las Pegasus, and as far as I’ve bothered to work out he’s some kind of faceless suit, not exactly rolling in it mind but well off. I ended up here a few years ago, cutting a longer story short in saying that Appleoosa of all places was chosen for no better reasons than being far away and able to take me immediately. He was never exactly the… “fatherly type”. Since then the only time he’s ever shown his face here was to dump Mil here as well, who’s more correctly my half-sister by the way, aside from the occasional letter. The only thing he’s ever really given a buck about is my athletics, although that’s probably just for bragging rights around the watercooler, and in any case all it has really brought is expectation rather than actual care. It’s funny cos trying to make him proud was one of main reasons I originally got into it. Kinda pathetic right?’

‘It really isn’t.’

‘Oh yes it is. Anyway, me and Mil get an allowance to stay outta sight and mind, and he gets to occasionally pretend he’s a father when it’s convenient. That’s without any of the responsibility other than sometimes throwing money at us, so I guess we all win in the end. Which brings me to the donation: I told him we needed kit for a new sports team I was captaining. He hasn’t got a clue about the tanks or me quitting track either, but his face would probably be worth seeing if he did figure it out.’ The pegasus laughed dryly. ‘That’s not likely though.’

‘But the championships are recorded, plus they go out live on the radio.’

There was another dryer laugh. ‘Never been his thing. Besides I doubt he’d pay attention even if my face was staring down at him from a newsreel.’

‘I’m so sorr…’

‘Don’t’ Split cut off bluntly, finally turning to meet her captain’s sympathy-written face. ‘I mean please don’t. If you did I know you’d really mean it, and that’s one of the things which makes you great, but please don’t apologise for him.’

Dawn was once more lost for words, although desperately in need of them. She could relate. With no other course really open she stepped forward, bringing up a forehoof to draw her friend into an embrace. She recognised so many of the feelings beneath the pegasus’ hardened exterior, hoping the hug although a small thing would do something, just something, to help, comforted when a wing moved to hold her back.

‘Sorry for just sort of spewing all that, but thanks for listening. Dawn?’

‘Yes?’

‘After the next match, no matter how it goes, there’s something I’ve gotta talk to you about.’

Author's Note:

Title: The Battle on the Ice (German)

Notes:
1) Jagdtiger, heavy tank destroyer (Germany)
2) Elefant, heavy tank destroyer/assault gun (Germany)
3) Panzer IV Racketenwerfer, prototype self-propelled rocket artillery (Germany)