• Published 14th Sep 2016
  • 2,344 Views, 16 Comments

A Gem Unwrought - Yinglung



A dragon assistant toiling away in the Castle of Friendship suddenly found himself as a familiar unicorn fashionista. What's more, he was shocked to find himself stranded in a critical moment of the not-so-distant past.

  • ...
0
 16
 2,344

Chapter 3

The white mare gulped difficultly.

The time with Sweetie Belle had passed without much trouble otherwise. His marble tricks and games greatly impressed her. He even learnt more of Rarity’s recent life and personal preferences from the mouth of the white filly. He was quite proud of his oratory and wit.

However, oratory was not going to save him now.

Looking at the rolls of purple and white velvet, floral wreaths of different colors and sizes, and assorted decors, he felt dread rising from within him. He was supposed to use these materials to transform the drab interior of the town hall into some sort of impromptu palace fit for the sun princess.

He tried to search his mind to remember how had his Rarity done it. Nothing, because he had barely paid attention to the décor. After all, it was the very first time he met the mare of his dream. There was no chance in Tartarus that he would take his eyes off Rarity and study some drapes.

The white mare inhaled deeply and sighed aloud. Fortunately there was only him in the whole town hall, so if he messed up, no one would be there to see. But still he could not mess up and besmirch the good name of Rarity as a first-class designer and seamstress.

He experimentally picked up the large scissors with his magic, like Rarity always did. The small tool required much more finesse than the gown, but he somehow managed to manipulate it to cut into the cloth.

He grinned a large grin when he successfully produced a near-perfect square cloth. But he immediately shook his head and frowned. That was far from enough to prop up the town hall in any measure of grandeur.

The white mare sat down in defeat. He could not possibly call in any help, for this was supposed to be Rarity’s task alone. Not that he could even think of anypony that could help anyway.

Venting frustration, he magically yanked a roll of cloth up. Without particular direction or thought, he played around the cloth as if he was doodling on paper. Tying a knot randomly here and folding there, he eventually closed his eyes and prepared to accept the inevitable.

Well, it’s not like Nightmare Moon would particularly appreciate the drapery whether it’s pretty or not, isn’t it. She would just shoot the Tartarus through the drapes and burn the wreaths, so why bother?

He threw down the drape and stopped the telekinesis. He then leaned on a column and sat on the floor, not particularly concerned with looking ladylike.

Rarity would not like me sitting like this, and with his beautiful white coat on the floor… But I can’t give two bucks anymore. Why is this happening again? He thought glumly, eyes closed in utter tiredness.

After a while, he dusted himself off and stood up.

Sorry, Rarity, I can’t do this. He shook his head sadly, as he prepared to just pack up the materials and apologize to the Mayor Mare for not being able to do his job.

His eyes swept through the rolls of velvet, including the one he just threw down. He trembled in shock.

The drape he just casually played with was not a simple drape anymore. With strategic folding and tying, it now resembled a piece of dragon scales made out of soft velvet. It was a bit misshapen, but both the outline and pattern were there.

He gasped with pleasant surprise. How could he make that just by messing around the cloth? He had simply thought of one of his doodles that featured him using his hard scales to withstand a hard blow from an evil enemy, and then proceeded to jump high in the air and deliver the knock-out blow to the villain, who kidnapped his beloved Rarity.

Perhaps when I vividly picture something in my head, my magic will automatically arrange things accordingly? If so…!

With renewed passion, he elevated a number of pins from his saddlebag and used them to hold the curved creases firmly. And then he used the scissors to cut the remaining drapes into thin sharp-edged ribbons, and taped them tidily to the creases.

Immediately and truly, the non-descript drape looked like a grandiose and royal-looking piece of scaly artwork. Spike then quickly wrapped it around a column, and the column suddenly resembled the tail of a large, dignified purple dragon. He looked at his very first work of fashion and giddily grinned in satisfaction.

Not bad, not bad at all! Perhaps I have some talents in fashion as well? If only Rarity and I noticed it before!

He then kept decorating the town hall in similar fashion, hanging up drapes, wreaths, bells and assorted decoration with his newfound flow of creativity. He even became a bit indulged, adding a flourish here and there, while humming a cheery tune at a job well-done.

“Good afternoon, you’re Rarity, aren’t you?”

The white mare let out a loud gasp and almost jumped mile high. He sharply turned and found Twilight and… the other Spike, in his true dragon form, standing right behind her. The purple mare’s look was one of mild annoyance, and his mane was a complete mess, echoing what he remembered about their first day in Ponyville.

As for the dragon…

Look at this… He is clearly not Rarity, but rather the bona-fide me. Dang, this would make finding the real Rarity much more difficult. But hmm… I certainly look like a love-struck idiot, don’t I? Look at that tongue out with saliva hanging on the corner of the mouth. If that’s not a mare-winning look of charm, I don’t know what is.

The white mare thought sarcastically. It was an entirely new experience for him to look at someone being all honeyed up and obsessed about him. It was not a bad experience at all.

Twilight let out a slight ‘ahem’, and the white mare was brought back to attention. He scratched his cheeks and smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry, Twilight, Spike, I just zoomed out a little in thought.”

“Wait, you know who I am?” Twilight was visibly shocked.

The dragon was even more surprised, and then his dreamy grin became even wider. “And me too? Wow, you’re more wonderful than I thought…”

The white mare almost groaned aloud, he had answered reflexively instead of using care again. “I, uh, have relations in Canterlot, who… uh, who told me about you two.”

He coughed quietly. That was certainly not true, as Twilight was the first Canterlot pony Rarity met. He hated lying to Twilight’s face, but he must not raise any suspicion from her, for it might mess up the right steps towards the defeat of Nightmare Moon.

Speaking of which, what exactly happened inside the Everfree back then? Ugh, I wish I wasn’t that much of a sleepyhead. If I saw what Rarity did, I can now act out what he did to make the Elements work later on… right?

With some quick thinking, he decided to dazzle Twilight with praise to stave off further questioning. “I’ve heard about you, Twilight Sparkle, the incredibly smart student of magic under Princess Celestia! She’s so impressed with your strong magical potential that she made you her personal student. You have a very bright future ahead, Twilight.”

Twilight looked flustered. She muttered back with red cheeks, forgetting even about her disheveled mane. “I- I- T- thank you, Rarity. I’m just a run-of-the-mill student of magic, you’ve flattered me too much.”

The white mare smiled. “And you’re way too humble. You’re definitely going to achieve great things. Don’t underestimate yourself, my friend.”

“What about me? Rarity, what do you know about me?” The dragon asked excitedly, eager to know what his dream mare knew and thought about her.

Oh boy… If anything, I know way too much about you. The white mare thought wryly.

Still, he humored his alternate self by graciously smiling. “Spike, you’re the best example of how dragons can live in peace with ponies. I’ve… heard very good things about how you help Twilight with her studies, I certainly appreciate helpfulness in ponies and dragons alike.”

The dragon’s eyes were glazed with almost drunken joy. “Oh–! If you need anything from me, Lady Rarity, I’d be so glad to help!”

“Not now. Even if you want to help me, you should ask permission from Twilight first, Spikey-wikey.”

The white mare tentatively uttered the magical word that Rarity always used to sugar him up. He lightly shook his head, still absorbing the absurdity that he’s now the one who said it.

As expected, the dragon almost immediately swooned. It gave him a bizarre feeling of satisfaction to see how overjoyed the dragon was in reaction to his slightest gesture. It almost tasted like the sweetness of power.

On the other hand, Twilight had recovered from his lavish praise, and now eyed him a bit suspiciously over how he made her dragon dance around his hooves. The white mare noticed her gaze and returned a slightly apologetic look.

“I’m sorry, Twilight. I’m just… a bit glad that I finally see you two after hearing so much from words of mouth. You come to check on the decoration here, I believe?”

Twilight let out a small yelp, and shyly grinned. “Ah, yes, I almost got entirely caught up with… um, the unexpected name recognition. I’ve been sent from Canterlot to check on the decoration. And it seems to be going quite nicely!”

The white mare was delighted. “Y- You think so?”

The dragon interjected with a big smile. “Of course, my beautiful lady. Everything you touch upon becomes absolute gem!”

The white mare could not help but laugh at the dragon’s clumsy attempt to butter him up. “Oh, you smooth-tongued dragon. I myself am not too confident of this work because, um, I didn’t really get a good rest the night before.”

Twilight nodded. “Well, it looks quite regal, so don’t worry. You said you have Canterlot relations, didn’t you? This certainly reminds me of the interior of the royal castle.”

The white mare chuckled. He guessed he did unintentionally use some elements from one of the most familiar living environment in his first work of design. The purple mare certainly did not know that he also added styles from her Castle of Friendship into the mix.

“Well, I guess that’s it then. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Rarity.”

“Eh? We’re leaving already?”

The dragon showed obvious disappointment at having to leave the white mare so quickly. “But I want to…”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you two as well, Twilight, Spike. But, Twilight, you can’t just leave like that.”

The dragon was delighted, and the purple mare raised a brow. “Hmm, what? Did I miss anything? Spike?”

The dragon shook his head. “I don’t-”

“No, no. You’re free to check on Fluttershy’s bird choir next.”

The white mare said casually, again to the duo’s silent surprise. “I just want to borrow Twilight for a short period of time.”

“What for?” Twilight asked quizzically.

The white mare grinned. “Your coiffure, I’m sorry to say, is a travesty to fashion and decency, dear. I can’t possibly let you walk around like that in Ponyville.”

Twilight let out a sigh. “No, thank you, Rarity, I’ll do fine without-”

Determined to be in character and stick to the script, the white mare insisted. “No, darling, you must come by and let me take care of your mane and tail. At least let me comb it over and, um, stabilize it. You’re a royal representative, Princess Celestia’s stand-in, and you definitely can’t look too shabby to the town ponies.”

Twilight widened her eyes. “I… didn’t think of that.”

“Is that a yes? If so, follow me and let me treat you to a quick mane care session!”

Twilight reluctantly nodded, but the dragon immediately asked. “I- I can follow even though I don’t have hair, right?”

“Haha, why, of course!”

The white mare laughed again. It felt weird to laugh at his alternate self’s awkwardness, but he would be damned to not feel amused by someone else fawning over him for a change. Being a Rarity with a Spike nearby was not at all a bad experience.