• Published 10th Sep 2016
  • 1,037 Views, 21 Comments

A Mathematical Theory of ‬Hard Reset - furrypony



A followup story of‭ ‬Hard Reset, written from a more mathematical point of view.

  • ...
2
 21
 1,037

Another Time-Traveler

I'm terribly bored.‭ ‬The world is not enough.‭ ‬I have tried saving everyone and killing everyone,‭ ‬and it's not enough.‭ ‬There are still more books to read but they are kind of the same anyway.‭ ‬I mean,‭ ‬there's no need to read yet another book on algebraic geometry when you have already learned it three times,‭ ‬and even novels start feeling the same after having read maybe a few thousand ones.

I'm afraid of falling into a fixed point, an infinite loop where I repeat the same actions, the same thoughts, like a record on repeat.

Maybe bringing some others along with me‭ ‬will be the key to breaking the monotony.‭ ‬What if I cast the spell on somepony else‭? ‬Would they come along with me‭?‬

Twilight's thoughts drifted to Lyra.‭ ‬She has always been so energetic and adventurous,‭ ‬with a big heart...‭ ‬if anypony would be happy with joining the adventure of time loop,‭ ‬it would be her.‭ ‬She has always wanted to break free from the normal,‭ “‬boring‭” ‬world that we live in...‭ ‬I should at least give her a chance.

Twilight thus became Lyra's friend,‭ ‬which was easy,‭ ‬as she was extroverted and excitable.

Several months into their friendship,‭ ‬Twilight finally decided it was the right time to talk to Lyra about her plan.‭ ‬“Lyra‭? ‬We need to talk.‭”

“Gasp‭! ‬I know it‭!” ‬Lyra pressed against Twilight's chest,‭ “‬You stole the cheese from the fridge didn't you‭?”

“Yes,‭ ‬but that's not what I'm getting at.‭” ‬Twilight rolled her eyes and gave Lyra a new piece of cheese,‭ “‬Here you go.‭ ‬Now could you sit down a while‭? ‬I need to say something important‭!”

Lyra tossed the cheese in the fridge before sitting down.‭ “‬Well‭?”

“Have you ever wondered how I came to know so many things‭?”

“Because you are really smart and hard-working‭?”

“That's necessary,‭ ‬but not enough.‭ ‬Nopony could ever learn ten languages,‭ ‬play three instruments,‭ ‬know practically the entire spectrum of mathematics,‭ ‬physics,‭ ‬and magic,‭ ‬know the entire history of Equestria,‭ ‬and many other skills I don't ever care to recall,‭ ‬all in thirty years‭!” ‬Twilight grinned a little in conceit.‭ ‬Listing her achievements was one of the few things that consistently brought her joy.

‭“Wow... I didn't know you know ten languages.” Lyra looked on with wide eyes.

‭“Do you know how I came to know so much?”

“Because...‭ ‬Princess Celestia broke open your skull and poured all the knowledge into your brain‭?” ‬Lyra poked at Twilight's forehead.

‭“... No. Nice imagery though.” Twilight stood up for dramatic effect, “I'm an immortal time-traveler.”

“What.‭”

“The details will come later,‭ ‬but for now,‭ ‬here's the summary...‭ ‬Remember the changeling invasion of Canterlot‭?”

“Yes,‭ ‬what is it‭?”

“Hours before the invasion,‭ ‬I was in the library studying a book.‭ ‬I tried a spell in it,‭ ‬and it gave me the ability to live in a time loop.‭ ‬Basically,‭ ‬if I die,‭ ‬then the next thing I know,‭ ‬I was back to the moment after I cast the spell,‭ ‬in the library.‭ ‬I would retain all my memories,‭ ‬but everyone else‭ ‬wouldn't.‭”

The night continued on as Twilight told Lyra of‭ ‬curious stories of her travels through the time loops,‭ ‬but making sure only telling the presentable bits.‭ ‬The gory details must wait until later,‭ ‬if they would be spoken about at all.