• Published 29th Oct 2016
  • 2,774 Views, 25 Comments

My Little Pony: Rebellion is Magic - MetaLord395



The Ghost crew has crashed in Equestria with the Galactic Empire hot on their tail. Can six ponies and a baby dragon help them fix their ship and return home before Ponyville comes under Imperial control?

  • ...
8
 25
 2,774

Chapter 2: A Visit to Royalty

If Twilight thought that she could dismiss the previous night’s events as hallucinations brought on by a lack of sleep due to studying too much, the following morning would show her just how mistaken she was. She was having a wild dream about going on an adventure with her favorite historical wizard Starswirl the Bearded when two loud voices popped her blissful imagination like a helium balloon.

“Pinkie Pie! My paint is not a toy!”

“I’m sorry, Sabine, I wasn’t aware that your paint was explosive!”

“Well, it could be, if it was in the wrong hands- er, hooves!”

And just like that, the dream was over. Resignedly, Twilight got out of her bed, dreading the horrors that would come with the advance of daybreak. It’s a miracle that Celestia hasn’t sent me a letter yet, she thought, shuddering at the mere prospect. Who knows what would have been her reaction to six alien strangers crashing unannounced in her kingdom? She headed downstairs to find the Ghost crew and all her friends, sans Rainbow Dash, at the table where Pinkie Pie had put all the party food the previous night. And that could only mean one thing:
Breakfast was cake and punch.

At the table, Spike, who had somehow gotten the idea that Lasats could crunch down on minerals just like he could, kept trying to offer Zeb some jewels, to which Zeb responded, in an effort to be polite with his host, that he would rather have food he could actually eat. Meanwhile, Pinkie Pie was chatting animatedly with Kanan and Hera about their work in the Rebellion, but shot a dirty look at Chopper every now and then; it was clear that she wanted to pay him back for hurting Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. Indeed, whenever Chopper made so much as a grunt, Fluttershy would yelp and hide under the table until she was convinced that Chopper was not going to attack her.

Meanwhile, at the other side of the table, Ezra was entertaining Applejack and Rarity with tales about his tutelage as a Padawan and his adventures with the Rebels over platefuls of chocolate cake and glassfuls of fruit punch. The two mares listened with rapt attention as Ezra regaled how he had once infiltrated the Imperial Academy on Lothal as a cadet in order to get important information regarding khyber crystal shipments, and how recently he and the team have stolen shipments of supplies from the Imperial authorities.

“Seems like y’all have been having a mighty grand time,” Applejack started, a few crumbs of cake on her lip.

“You make it sound so glamorous,” Rarity agreed, taking down a sip of punch.

“Oh, come on, now,” Ezra chuckled, in an effort to stay humble. “Sure, it might have been awesome, but it also has been pretty dangerous. I can’t count the number of times I nearly lost my own head battling the Empire. In fact, more than once, we have had to fight an Inquisitor who was intent on converting me to the Dark Side of the Force.”

“Ooohh, sounds scary,” shuddered Applejack. She took another bite out of her cake.

“What is an Inquisitor, by the way?” inquired Rarity, not taking her eyes off him as she sipped her punch.

“It’s . . . well . . . well, let’s just say that if you do see one, it is best to scram right away,” Ezra answered. “In fact, once I actually used the Dark Side thanks to him. Luckily, Kanan was there when it happened.”

“What did it feel like?” Applejack asked.

Ezra paused. “I don’t remember,” he said slowly, as if recalling something unpleasant. “But I do remember that when I woke up, I felt . . . cold.”

He shivered. “That is something I have trying to work on ever since.”

Twilight let out a huge yawn. “Morning, everypony . . . and everybody,” she started, eyeing Kanan and Hera. She took an empty seat in between Pinkie Pie and Chopper. “Where’s Rainbow Dash?”

“Probably oversleeping again,” Applejack mused. “Chopper, see if you can bring her down here.”

Chopper giggled, probably at the prospect of trolling the pegasus again. He went to the middle of the room and flew up to the second floor.

“Why do ah get the feelin’ somethin’s gonna go wrong?” Applejack asked uneasily.

“He’s Chopper. You can never expect him to do anything without doing something to you,” Zeb answered matter-of-factly.

“Y’all sound like this has happened before,” Applejack noted.

“It has,” Zeb, Ezra, and Sabine answered bluntly.

“Well, I’m surprised he managed to last this long with you,” Rarity said. “If he did something like that to me, I would have-“

But what Rarity would have done, they never got to learn, because at that moment, a big metallic CLANG echoed throughout the room, followed by the shouts of Rainbow Dash struggling. Then Chopper rolled in with Rainbow Dash holding onto him and tapping him with her hooves. It could not have been clearer that she was trying to get revenge on him for shocking her last night.

“Nopony is gonna save you this time-“ Rainbow Dash started, but Chopper, apparently begging to differ, spun around quickly and threw her into whatever was left of the cake and punch, spraying Zeb and Ezra with bits of chocolate. The two Ghost members glared at Rainbow, who grinned back at them sheepishly. Zeb grabbed one of Rainbow’s hooves and was about to punch her when Hera interceded, “GARAZEB ORRELIOS!” Pinkie Pie burst out into hysterical laughter. Rainbow, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Rarity looked as if they would die of amusement if they didn’t stifle their mouths. Even Twilight managed to crack a smile for the first time in days.

“It’s not my fault!” Zeb protested. “Rainbow managed to cover me and the kid in cake! What was I supposed to do?”

“Don’t blame me!” Rainbow argued. “It’s that twisted, sick tin can of yours who’s at fault here! What does he have against ponies?”

“She has a point, Zeb,” Kanan conceded. “I suggest you apologize to Rainbow.”

“Thank you!” Rainbow sighed.

“Oh, I’m sorry, Dad!” Zeb snapped back. “But did Chopper just make a fool out of us in front of them?” He motioned angrily to the ponies on
the other side of the table.

“All the same,” demurred Kanan, “it is not like she intentionally did that on purpose. In fact-“

Just then, Spike made a face like he was about to vomit, but instead burped out a few flames of green fire, which formed into a scroll. Ezra grimaced, noting to himself that he should tell Spike that there were better alternatives to communication that he could show them.

“Letter from Princess Celestia,” Spike announced. He handed it to Twilight. “It’s for you.”

Twilight opened the letter. As she read more of its contents, her eyes shrank in terror.

“Everything okay, Twilight?” Hera asked, concerned.

“Read for yourself, please,” Twilight responded rather shakily. She handed the letter to Hera, who read it loud for the whole table to hear.

My dearest Twilight,
There have been reports of a strange rock crashing near the Everfree forest. The whole of Canterlot is abuzz with worry, as some ponies, Luna included, believe that this will mean ill for all of Equestria. Furthermore, Spike has informed me that you have hosted six extraterrestrials last night. May Luna and I please request an audience with you and your new friends? I wish to learn the intent of these strange individuals.
Please wait outside the Royal Palace at twelve noon. We will be waiting for you then.
Regards,
Princess Celestia

“I’m dead,” Twilight said hollowly when Hera had finished. She had been dreading this moment from the minute the sun had illuminated the whole of her room that morning.

“Who are these Princesses Celestia and Luna?” Hera asked Twilight.

“They are these princess sisters who rule all of Equestria,” Rainbow responded when it was clear that Twilight was not going to respond. “Celestia is in charge of moving the sun around its path, and Luna is responsible for the path of the moon.”

“And these princesses of yours want to see us?” Zeb questioned.

“So that they can be sure that you mean them no harm,” Pinkie responded cheerfully.

“A-and what if they decide that we are unfriendly and decide to kick us out?” Ezra asked nervously. “W-where will we go then?”
Rainbow laughed heartily. “Jabba, you are starting to sound a lot like Twilight here. We all will vouch for you and your team. Besides, if anypony –or anyone, in this case – has to go, it has to be this bucket of bolts right here.” She motioned over to Chopper, who growled menacingly at her. But one stern, piercing gaze from Hera forced him to calm down.

“Besides, Princess Celestia is a kind, honest, and fair ruler,” Rarity continued, finishing the last of her punch. “She will hear you and your friends out. I should know; I spent some time with her myself.”

Ezra let out a sigh of relief. “That’s good to know.”

“Okay, then,” Kanan said. “I suggest that we decide how all of us will get over to the Royal Palace. Zeb, you, Hera, and Sabine will take the Phantom; at least that ship is still operational. Chop, you will go with Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, since they are the only horses- er, pegasi around. Ezra and I will go with the rest of the ponies.”

“Sweet!” exclaimed Pinkie. Fluttershy and Rainbow, however, were less than enthused.

“Do I have to be stuck with it?” Rainbow complained, pointing to a now growling Chopper. Fluttershy glanced nervously at the droid, and it was clear that she wished she had been assigned to either the Phantom or Kanan and Ezra.

“My decision’s been made,” Kanan said in a tone of absolute finality. “I suggest we leave as soon as we can.”

And with that, everyone but Chopper and Rainbow got up and turned to go. Rainbow turned to Chopper menacingly.

“Just so you know, don’t even think of hurting me or Fluttershy,” she whispered. “I have my eyes on you.”

And with that, she turned to leave, but not before giving the droid a smack with her tail.


A few hours later, everyone was standing in front of the royal palace in Canterlot. Zeb and the girls had parked the Phantom on the royal garden next to a gushing fountain where a pair of fish was playing. Kanan was getting nervous. He had never been in the face of actual royalty before, not unless you counted Queen Amidala from Naboo. Hera and Sabine, meanwhile, were doing something you usually would not find them doing: acting concerned over their appearances; indeed, both of them were asking Rarity if they looked all right. Even Zeb and Ezra were doing their best to make a good first impression; it wasn’t every day that they were visiting royalty.

At last, the palace doors opened, and two stallions covered in gold royal armor came out like a procession. Following them were the two most magnificent-looking unicorns Ezra had ever seen: one was a beautiful-looking white unicorn with a blue, purple, and sea-green tail and mane wearing a crown and a golden necklace; and the other a dark blue winged unicorn with a tail and a mane of midnight blue, who had an image of a moon on her neck. Both horses wearing surveying the Ghost crew members intently.

“You are in the presence of Princesses Celestia and Luna!” Spike hissed in Kanan’s ear. “Kneel!”

Picking up this cue, Kanan knelt to the ground. One by one, the other rebels followed suit, even Chopper, who bowed so low that he practically touched the ground.

“Rise, strangers,” the dark blue unicorn started solemnly. “Who art thou?”

Kanan went up to the unicorn and bowed. “Greetings, Your Majesty. I am Kanan Jarrus of the planet Lothal. And this is my band of rebels.” He motioned to the rest of the team.

“What is thy business here in Equestria?” the unicorn asked. “Wherefore art thou here?”

“Sister,” the other unicorn started, “thank you for your introduction, but I will take it from here.”

The other raised an eyebrow, suspiciously. “Very well then, I will wait for thee inside.” She turned around and went into the castle.

The white unicorn turned to the team. “Forgive my sister,” she said. “But she is still recovering from spending one thousand years in the moon.” Zeb looked at Ezra, who responded with a confused shrug.

“My name is Princess Celestia,” the white unicorn continued. “I see you have had the pleasure of meeting my sister, Princess Luna. Follow me.”

They all followed Celestia into the palace down the hall to her throne room. Ezra looked around, marveling at the sheer magnificence of the place. He noticed that almost everywhere were stained-glass of Twilight and her friends defeating monsters or demons. He tapped Rainbow Dash’s shoulder. “I notice that you and your friends are everywhere here.”

Rainbow Dash grinned. “Don’t you know it. We’re awesome.”

At last, Celestia ascended to her throne with Luna standing right beside her. She turned and faced the rebels. “I believe you need to explain to us why you are here,” she addressed Kanan.

“Your Majesty,” Kanan began, “we came to your world by accident. We were fighting the Empire when our ship received quite a blow to our hyperdrive. Next thing we knew, we ended up next to a forest and we were hoping you could help us get it up and running again before the Empire tracks us down here.”

“The Empire?” Celestia asked, raising an eyebrow. “As in the Crystal Empire?”

“No, Your Grace,” Hera intervened. “Kanan is talking about the Galactic Empire, which is the oppressive regime that has reigned in our galaxy
for at least fourteen years now.”

“And the big rock near the Everfree forest, I presume it was thy ship?” Luna asked.

“Yes, Your Grace,” Hera answered.

“But wherefore should we help thee?” Luna responded. “How is Equestria to be harmed if we do not help you?”

“Luna,” Celestia said in a warning tone. Luna backed down submissively.

“I don’t mean to be rude with Your Grace,” Sabine started, “but the Imperials are not the kind of people who give up. They have tracked us all over the galaxy, and they have slaughtered thousands, perhaps millions of rebel sympathizers. If they track us here, they will not care who is innocent and who is not. If you can grant us some protection while we make some repairs, we will make sure that no harm befalls your subjects.”

“How do we know that you are not Imperials yourselves?” Luna shot back. Ezra was rather taken aback, rather stunned to be associated with the very people he was fighting against.

“Your Majesty,” he spoke up, “with all due respect, I lost people I cared about to the Empire. We all lost people we cared about.” He struggled not to tear up. Applejack and Pinkie Pie watched him out of the corners of their eyes, concerned. “A-and I know you know these ponies and I know we’ve been here for less than a day, but the Empire doesn’t care about anybody. The Imperials don’t even care about their comrades. If innocent ponies die because we led the Empire right here, we wouldn’t be too happy with ourselves. And I’m pretty sure that you wouldn’t, either.”

Celestia turned to Luna, exchanging solemn glances. The two of them furiously whispered. The rebels waited with bated breath, waiting, waiting-

“All right, I have made my decision,” Celestia announced. “I’ll be assigning you six royal guards for your protection. If it is true that this Galactic Empire you speak of cares nothing about friendship, then I suggest that you learn more about each other, strengthen the bonds of camaraderie that you forged last night. For we can only fight a true force of chaotic evil by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust.”

“Yes!” Rainbow Dash flew into the air, excited. “I can’t wait to show these guys my Sonic Rainboom!”

“We’ve all seen you do a Sonic Rainboom,” Rarity responded, rolling her eyes.

“I meant them!” Rainbow motioned over to the rebels. “We’re going to have so much fun!”

Soon, all of them walked out of the palace after saying their goodbyes and paying their respects, now accompanied by six of Celestia’s guards. Pinkie Pie walked up beside Ezra, who was now really struggling to hold his emotions in. “Ezra, are you okay?” she asked, concerned.

“I’m fine, Pinkie,” Ezra responded in a tone that indicated he was not up for talking. “I really am.”

“Okie dokie,” Pinkie replied slowly. She shot Applejack a look that clearly said, You have to confront him about this later.

Applejack nodded in silent agreement.


The ISD Lawbringer hovered in orbit over Lothal. In the bridge, Agent Kallus paced to and fro, growing more and more impatient by the second. What in blazes was that damned Inquisitor doing? Did he not catch the rebels yet? Did he not realize the importance of the task they were given?

A second man came up to him. “You have an incoming message, Agent Kallus.”

“Thank you, Konstantine,” Kallus answered. He activated the central communicator, which now displayed a holo-image of the Inquisitor.

“This is the Inquisitor calling ISB-021,” the image started. “I have news regarding the Lothal rebels.”

“You finally caught them?” the ISB agent asked, eager to find out.

The Inquisitor’s face contracted into a frown. “No,” he said at last. “The rebels have temporarily eluded me, but not for long.”

Kallus was not pleased. “Need I remind you that Governor Tarkin expects us to bring this cell down within the next 72 hours? Need I remind
you that as long as that they are free, they pose a threat to our security?” he pressed on. “You wouldn’t want to end up like Aresko or Grint, now, would you?”

The Inquisitor paused, forcing himself to absorb and appreciate the cruel irony of the ISB operative’s words. “No,” he said at last. “However, my pilots have reported that they were last seen going into a wormhole. I can’t say where it leads yet, but it is still open. What should we do?”

Kallus felt a grin open on his face, the same grin that was present when he fought the accursed Lasat. “Dispatch a probe droid. Find out where the rebels are hiding. If anybody is hiding them or giving them shelter, seek to destroy. Once we locate their hideout, we will come in sheer force of numbers and claim it in the name of the Empire. We will snuff the spark out before it catches fire.”

“Of course. Inquisitor out.” The image bowed and faded.

Kallus stared at the planet Lothal below, smiling. The rebels were no longer safe, even if they jumped into the wormhole. Once he found them, he would destroy the rebels’ allies and leave them at the mercy of the Grand Moff himself. There was nowhere left for them to run.