• Published 13th Jul 2016
  • 278 Views, 1 Comments

Knight in Shining Armor - ShinxX



The dreams of a young pony wanting to become a royal guard take a very sharp turn as he teams up with a very unlikely partner to stop something lurking in the shadows of Equestria. The world is in more danger than it ever has been before.

  • ...
 1
 278

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

This is my first attempt at writing a full story so bear with me. Any advice or criticism is accepted as long as it's constructive. Thank you to all who've helped me do this, you know who you are. I have references at the bottom of the chapter for all new, non canon characters because why not, everyone loves pictures. Credit to the creators of the bases. I would draw them myself but I can't do the arts.

In the peaceful town of Ponyville, a casual day ensued for many ponies, including a white mare, who was wearing a blue hoodie that covered the majority of her light blue hair, though her horn was still visible. She wondered around the streets of Ponyville, somewhat lost. As she looked around for anything that looked familiar to her, she saw an apple stand at the end of the road with a yellow mare behind it, serving a customer. She walked up to the stand, getting a better view of the yellow mare. She noticed that the mare looked a few years older than her, about mid twenties to early thirties. She wore a light brown stetson hat, covering the top of her braided, red hair. The mare handed an apple to the customer with a smile.

“Have a nice day, sir!” The yellow mare called with her sweet, southern accent as the stallion walked away. She then turned to see the hooded mare standing in front of the stand. “Hi there, how can I help you, m’am?”

“Oh, uh, hi. I was wondering if you could point me to the stadium that the wonderbolt event is being held. I’m supposed to be meeting my Auntie there, but I’m kinda new to town.” The white mare responded with an awkward smile.

“Well, worry not! You’re not too far away,” The yellow mare turned around and pointed her hoof down the street before continuing, “Go down this street right here, take a left at the post there. Then you’ll wanna take the third right, where the carousel boutique is, and continue on that street for a while, and you’ll kinda just run into it. You can’t miss it,” She directed.

“Thanks a lot, uh, sorry, I didn’t catch your name.” The white mare awkwardly thanked.

“Applebloom, names Applebloom. May I ask what yours is?” Applebloom asked.

“Oh, my name is Amo-” She cut herself off before continuing, “Crystal, just call me Crystal. My full name can be a mouthful.” She replied with a small giggle. Applebloom squinted suspiciously at Crystal, making her nervous.

“Hm… that sounds familiar to me. Have we met somewhere before?” Applebloom asked. Crystal started to sweat. She was hoping this wasn’t one of the ponies that actually knew who she was.

“Um, no, I don’t think so.” She replied quickly, trying to hide her nervousness by scrunching her nose. Sweat rolled down her muzzle. Applebloom became concerned for Crystal, she was starting to act strange to her.

“You alright? You seem tense.” She asked with concern.

“I-I’m fine, just a little… warm.” Crystal anxiously replied.

“Maybe it’s the fact that it’s like, a bajillion degrees outside and you’re wearing that thick hoodie. How are you able to wear that in this heat?” Applebloom questioned. Crystal tried to find an excuse quickly before Applebloom became suspicious.

“Well, I, uh-” She was cut off by something colliding with her side. It felt as if a 200 pound football player had tackled her from her blind side at full speed. She fell to the ground hard, causing her hood to fall off her head. She rolled about a yard before coming to a halt. Applebloom covered her mouth with her hoof as she gasped in shock.

“Are you two ok?” She gasped. Crystal could only groan as she tried to get back on her hooves. Everything was a blur to her, she couldn’t see straight. She was so dizzy she couldn’t stand up. She began to feel better when she felt a hoof on hers and a wing around her to help her up.

“I’m so so so sorry! I didn’t mean it!” she heard a slight, raspy, stallion voice next to her. Her vision started to come back to her. As the image became less blurry, she could make out the figure of the blue pegasus stallion. She shook her head and looked at the stallion again, this time, the image was clear. He was a light blue pegasus with a dark blue mane with a yellow stripe that branched off in the middle of his mane. Suddenly, she felt like she should already know this pony for some reason. She couldn’t put her hoof on it, but his aura gave off some familiarity to her. Her thoughts were cut off by the apple seller calling out the pony in front of her.

“Really, Sky? You really need to watch where you’re going with your speed.” Applebloom called to the Stallion.

“I know! I’m just in a huge hurry right now. Crap, I’m gonna be late! I gotta go!” He started off in the opposite direction of Crystal’s path. Applebloom let out a sigh and walked over to Crystal’s side as they watched the stallion run off in the distance.

“You alright? That looked like a hard hit.” She asked the white mare. Crystal almost didn’t hear her question because she was distracted. She was trying to figure out why she felt like she should know him.

“Y-yea, I’m fine. Hey, who was that pony anyways? It seemed like you knew each other.” Crystal questioned the apple seller.

“Oh, that was Sky Knight. He’s a family friend. His mom and my sis are close friends.” Applebloom answered. Crystal kept looking at the fading stallion. I wonder if I’ll see him again, I really want to know why i feel like I know him, she thought. Applebloom interrupted Crystals thought by continuing, “Well, I’m glad you’re alright, but if you’re going to that wonderbolt event, you should get going. Isn’t it supposed to start in like, fifteen minutes or something?” Crystal nodded her head.

“You’re right. Thanks for the help, Applebloom” She said as she started to walk in the direction Applebloom showed her.

“Any time, oh, and before you go,” Applebloom put two apples in a bag and handed it to Crystal, “Have these, one for you and one for your aunt.”

“Oh, thanks, but I don’t have any bits on me.” Crystal responded, trying to give the apples back with her magic.

“Don’t worry, it’s on the house. Consider it a welcome to Ponyville gift. You’ll love it here, and I promise we don’t just tackle each other here like Sky did,” Applebloom teased.

Crystal giggled in response. “I hope not. Thanks again.” She thanked as she walked toward the stadium, leaving Applebloom to her apples again.

Meanwhile, in the opposite direction, Sky Knight was rushing down the street, galloping as fast as he could. Crap, crap,crap, crap, crap! Why did I forget to pick these up?! He thought as he burst into Sugarcube Corner. He glanced around the bakery for anypony working the shop.

“Wow, that was a very unnecessarily loud entrance.” A raspy mare voice came from behind the counter. Sky looked over to see the orange-yellow unicorn mare cleaning off the counter. Her orange mane was put up in a ponytail with a blue bow to keep it out of her face.

“Sorry, Pumpkin Cake, I completely forgot to pick up my order earlier. Now I’m gonna be very late!” Sky Knight began to panic. He rushed to the counter, nearly crashing into it.

“Heh, I was wondering when you were gonna pick these up.” She teased as she picked up a box with her magic and lifted it up to the counter. Sky opened the box to see a couple dozen cupcakes, each cupcake with a single letter on them, so they all read ‘Wonderbolts Alumni Race’. Sky looked them over and noticed three of the cupcakes had the Wonderbolts logo on them. He didn’t remember asking for that design on them. He thought for a second before facehooving.

“Did I really miscount the letters?” He grumbled.

“Yes, yes you did. Lucky for you, instead of leaving three of them blank, I was nice enough to put on the extra design, free of charge,” Pumpkin Cake assured.

“Thanks so much, Pumpkin Cake.” Sky placed the bits on the counter to pay. “And here’s the cash. Tell your parents and brother I said hi.”

“I will, and try not to tackle anymore mares on your way, either. You’ll never get a girlfriend that way.” Pumpkin Cake teased.

“Wait, you saw that?” Sky Knight said as he lightly blushed with embarrassment.

“Yup! It was pretty funny, too. Well, I guess not for that unicorn you slammed to the ground.” Pumpkin Cake continued to hassle Sky, “maybe next time you run into a mare, metaphorically, or literally, whichever you prefer, you should slow down for once and talk to them. Then maybe you’ll land a date.”

Sky Knight sighed, “Why is everypony trying to set me up with mares! First Blue, then Thunder and now you? I’m not looking for anypony!” Sky snapped, causing Pumpkin Cake to step back. He shook his head and sighed, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to snap like that. They’re just kinda getting on my nerves with that.”

“Eh, you’re fine, I’ve had to deal with worse customers before,” Pumpkin Cake assured. Sky let out a sigh of relief. He thought he went overboard for a second. Pumpkin Cake broke the momentary silence, “Um, weren’t you in a hurry to go somewhere just before?” The panic he felt before returned.

“Crap! I am in a rush! Thanks again Pumpkin! I’ll see you later!” Sky scrambled to the door and ran off with the cupcakes under his wing. Pumpkin Cake waved to him as he left. She let out a soft sigh.

“And he’s gonna be one of the ponies protecting Equestria? Celestia save us all.” She teased as she went back to cleaning the empty bakery.

At the stadium, Crystal walked past two guards to enter the hallway leading to the luxury seats. As she walked by casually, one of the guards stopped in front of her.

“Oh, uh, excuse me.” She tried to get through, but the guard didn’t move.

“Sorry, miss. These seats are reserved for royalty.” The guard informed.

Crystal looked at him with confusion, “What? But I am,” She stopped mid sentence, figuring out why he’s stopping her. She continued, “Oh, I forgot I was wearing this thing.” She looked down at the hoodie she was wearing. Her horn began to glow with a light blue aura. The aura surrounded the hoodie and Crystal pulled the blue hoodie over her head. She folded the hoodie and levitated it next to her. Then she looked back to the guard and opened her now revealed wings. She grinned, “May I proceed now?” The guard’s face glowed red with embarrassment. He struggled to find his voice.

“W-wait, so you’re,” The guard was cut off by a familiar mare's voice behind him, “Yes, that is my niece, Amor Crystallum.” The guard turned to see a purple alicorn princess wearing her star shaped tiara in her graying, purple, striped hair. Crystal smiled ear to ear at the sight of the princess.

She ran to her and called out, “Auntie Twilight!” She hugged the purple alicorn closely. Twilight embraced her, “It’s good to see you, Amor Crystallum.” Crystal giggled and looked up at her aunt, “You know it’s just Crystal.” Twilight joined in the giggling, “I’m just teasing you. You and your mother get annoyed when I call you by your full names.”

The guards bowed to the two alicorns, “My deepest apologies, Princess Twilight, I was unaware that she was the relative you were expecting.” He said with a low, raspy, nervous voice.

“It’s quite alright, I should’ve told you she was coming in with a jacket on. As you were.” the guards nodded at her order and walked back to their posts. Twilight nudged Crystal, “This way, the race is going to start soon.” Crystal nodded and followed Twilight through the halls. Their hooves clicked on the ground, echoing through the halls.

“I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I can’t wait until I get some new guards from the new recruits. Those guards are kinda dull, they never address me informally and never have friendly conversations.” Twilight mumble to her niece to break the silence.

Crystal looked up at her aunt, “I’m sorry I was late,” Twilight looked back at her with soothing eyes, “It’s alright, Crystal, you’re not completely late. They’ve only done introductions of the alumni so far. The race doesn’t start for another couple minutes.” Crystal let out a sigh of relief. They continued through the hall until they reached an opening on the left of the hall. They walked through the arched doorway into a booth. The sun shined bright with only a few clouds in the sky. The glare of Celestia’s sun blinded Crystal for a moment. She held up her hoof to shade her eyes so she could regain her vision. As her vision came back, she looked down at the light blue track, outlined by fluffy, white clouds. She looked around the stadium and was stunned by how many ponies were in the stands. She had no idea there were even this many ponies in Ponyville. She stared in awe, jaw hanging from her muzzle.

“Isn’t it beautiful?” Twilight snapped Crystal back into reality. She nodded in response, making Twilight smile. Twilight looked back out into the stadium, “When you were just a small filly, this stadium wasn’t even here. There wasn’t even plans to build it yet, but one of my closest friends talked about how she never had any races in Ponyville because there was no place here for a Wonderbolts race. So I took a survey around Ponyville and it seemed almost everypony would enjoy a sports stadium here. It took so long to make, but we wanted it to be perfect.” Twilight's story intrigued Crystal.

“So is that why they are having an alumni race? So the wonderbolts that retired could have a race here?” Crystal asked.

Twilight shook her head, “No, there is an alumni race every year, however, it’s usually in Cloudsdale’s huge stadium. Rainbow Dash did everything in her power to get the race to be here. I’m so glad they decided to have the race here, it means so much to her. She worked so hard for this stadium and the Wonderbolts.” She answered with marvel. They both continued to gaze upon the size and beauty of the stadium.Twilight giggled to Crystal’s surprise, “Sorry, I just find it funny how Rainbow Dash was the one worried that they might not be able to fill the stadium, yet, I think everypony in Ponyville is here, and then some.”

Crystal nodded, “Yeah, I had a hard time asking ponies for directions because I couldn’t even find anypony,” They both shared a laugh before Twilight continued, “Did you end up finding anypony, or did you somehow find your way here on your own?” Twilight asked curiously.

“I ended up finding somepony selling apples.” Crystal answered, as Twilight let out a sigh of relief.

“Thank Celestia. I know it may seem weird, but I was hoping you wouldn’t find your way here on your own.” Twilight declared. Crystal tilted her head in curiosity. Twilight put her hoof on Crystal’s shoulder in reassurance, “Trust me, I wanted you to find your way here, I look forward to our time together. I just wanted you to maybe make a friend or two along the way.” Crystal still looked at her aunt with confusion.

“Why did you want me to make friends?” Crystal asked.

“Well, you only have one friend outside your family, and as the princess of friendship, that makes me sad. Plus, while you’re here to spend more time with me, we won’t be together every single day. I want you to enjoy everyday here, even when I’m not around.” Twilight explained, hoping Crystal would understand.

Crystal thought for a moment before responding, “I guess you’re right, the pony I met seemed nice.”

Her response made Twilight smile in glee. “That’s great! Do you remember who it was?” Twilight questioned her niece.

“I believe her name was Applebloom, she was yellow with a red mane and,” Crystal was cut off by her aunt, “Ooo, you met Applebloom? That’s wonderful! She’s the younger sister of one of my best friends, Applejack. So you’ll be seeing her sometimes with me.” Twilight realized that she just interrupted her niece rudely when Crystal looked a bit taken back by her inclusion in the discussion. Twilight grew an awkward, apologetic smile, “Sorry, I got carried away there.”

Crystal looked more relaxed as she reassured, “It’s ok, Auntie. I was going to ask if you knew her anyways. She seemed to almost recognize me.” Her reassurance made Twilight let out a sigh of relief. She gathered herself to continue, “I’m glad you met somepony, but did you meet anypony your age? Applebloom is sweet, but she’s a bit older than you.”

Crystal thought for a second before responding, “Well, there was one pony I do believe was about my age,” She recalled. Twilight urged her niece to continue, “Did you catch their name when you met?” She asked.

“Well, I wouldn’t say we had a ‘formal’ meeting.” Crystal started, getting a confused look from Twilight, “What do you mean?” She asked. Crystal continued, “Well, I was speaking to Applebloom when he kinda ran into me, literally.” she explained. Twilight let out a gasp, “Oh my, are you alright?” Twilight worried. Crystal put up her hoof and smiled, “Yes, I’m alright. I was just dazed afterwards. According to Applebloom, he was sprinting really fast, but luckily, I came out with only this bruise,” Crystal explained pointing to a purple spot in her white coat by her ribs. Twilight relaxed again knowing Crystal wasn’t severely hurt. Crystal continued, “After I got out of my daze, he helped me up and asked if I was alright. I barely answered before he took off again. He yelled something about being late to something.”

“Did you have time to see who it was?” Twilight questioned.

“Somewhat, he was a blue pegasus with a blue mane. I think I saw a yellow stripe down his mane, but I could be wrong. Applebloom told me his name, but I can’t remember it too well. I think it was.. Sky… Sky…” Crystal pondered his name, but Twilight stepped in, “Are you trying to think of Sky Knight?” She suggested.

Crystal nodded, “Yeah! That was his name, Sky Knight,” She proclaimed. Crystal saw her aunt look back down at the track.

“Then I know why he was in a rush.” Twilight claimed.

“You know who Sky Knight is?” Crystal asked.

Twilight nodded, “I’ve known him since he was a little colt. I was actually at the hospital when he was born.” She started, Crystal listened intently, “He’s the son of Rainbow Dash, so I know him very well, and it’s very impressive if he slammed into you at full speed and you didn’t split in half.” Crystal gasped, Is that why I felt like I should’ve known him? Maybe we met before we could talk or something, She thought to herself.

“So he was in a rush to get here, then? But, he was going the opposite direction.” Crystal explained, still unsure of Sky Knight’s intentions.

“Well, Rainbow mentioned that after the race, there’s gonna be a reunion party, and she was in charge of getting the main dessert. So Rainbow Dash, being her lazy self, had her son get it for her.” Twilight explained.

Crystal began to understand, “Oh, so he must have been late picking up the dessert and was rushing to be on time. That makes sense.”

Twilight nodded, “Yes, and from where you met Applebloom at the apple stand, Sugarcube Corner would be in the direction you say he was heading,” She explained. Crystal perked her head up as she remembered something.

“Wait, that reminds me, Applebloom gave me a couple apples for.. Oh” She picked up her folded up hoodie with her magic. The light surrounding the hoodie began to unfold it, revealing a moist spot in the pocket of the hoodie. A yellow tinted liquid dripped from the spot.Crystal put her hoof up to her face in disbelief as she pulled out a soaked bag from her pocket.

“Oh my Celestia, I forgot I had those in my pocket. I must’ve crushed them when I folded my hoodie.” Crystal whinned in disbelief. Twilight smirked a bit, trying not to laugh. Crystal sighed, “Now my hoodie is soaked. I’m sorry Auntie Twilight, I should have been more careful.” Crystal Apologized groaning in disappointment.

Twilight giggled, “Crystal, it’s ok, it was a simple mistake. It’s not as if you cast a spell that switched around your friends cutie marks.” Twilight assured, hoping she could lift Crystal’s spirits.

Crystal perked her head up, “Wait, what?” Crystal had no idea what Twilight meant by that. She was about to ask what Twilight meant by that, but Twilight continued, “It’s a long story for another time. The race is going to start soon, let’s watch.” They both turned their eyes to the track, where the racers were starting to line up at the start line.

Meanwhile, at the entrance to the stadium, Sky fumbled for his ticket that his mother gave him. Almost dropping it multiple times, he showed it to the usher. The usher nodded and opened the gate. Immediately, Sky rushed through the entrance and wrapped around the inside of the stadium, looking for the section he was assigned to. His trotting hoofsteps echoed through the empty halls of the stadium. He heard the crowd start to cheer loudly, along with the announcer coming onto the intercom. Sky couldn’t make out what she was saying, but he figured that she was announcing the start of the race. Crap! I hope I’m not too late. As he ran around the curve of the stadium, a white unicorn came into view. Sky was able to identify him just by the unicorns thick, pointy blue mane.

“Yo, Blue!” Sky called out the the white unicorn.

“There you are, Sky! You missed the introduction of the alumni!” The white unicorn informed.

“Crap! Well, let’s get in there so we don’t miss the actual race,” Sky suggested. Blue nodded, and they both sprinted for the stairs leading up to their seats. They trotted up two levels before spotting the rest of their friends. At this point, everypony was standing on their hooves and cheering for the racers. The duo ran up to their friends, when a purple unicorn with a blue, striped mane spotted them.

“There you are! We were worried you’d be late.” The purple unicorn called out. Sky Knight and Blue Wrench started to walk through the group to their seats.

“Yea, I was, too. But I promised my mom I’d get these.” He defended as he squeezed by a green pegasus with a yellow, spiked back mane with a darker yellow bolt down the middle.

“See, Violet, I’m not the only one who forgets things.” The green pegasus said to the purple unicorn.

“Yes, but you forget things way more often, Volt,” Violet Strike pointed out.

“Yea, and I asked you to remind me to get these, yet it was Puzzle that reminded me. You forgot along with me.” Sky declared, making Volt Speed grumble. Blue Wrench sat next to the green pegasus and Sky sat in between Blue and a yellow pegasus with a blue mane, who sat next to a light gray pegasus who had a dark violet mane with pink highlights. The yellow pegasus looked over at the box Sky was holding curiously.

“What’s with the cupcakes anyways? Can we have some?” The yellow pony asked, almost drooling in anticipation.

Sky let out a sigh, “No you can’t, Prime, they’re for the wonderbolt alumni. They’re having a post race reunion party.” He explained, getting puppy eyes from Prime. “Pweeze? Just one?” Sky moved the box to his wing that was away from her. “No, sorry, but these are for the alumni, not us.” Prime dropped her ears and looked down in disappointment. Sky rolled his eyes and was about to look down at the track when he felt the lid of the box open. He looked down at the box to see one of the cupcakes starting to levitate with a blue aura of magic surrounding it. He quickly shut the lid with his hoof before the cupcake got out of the box.

He jerked his head up and narrowed his eyes at his friend, “No, bad Blue! No cupcakes, especially for you.” He scolded the unicorn.

Blue Wrench stomped the ground, “Dang it, so close.” He mumbled to himself. Sky let out a sigh of agitation before hearing a soft voice come from the other side of Primary Shades.

“Guys, stop bickering, the race is starting.” The gray pegasus informed the group of friends.

“Thank you, Puzzle,” Violet thanked. The group all looked down at the track where 10 pegasi in blue and yellow, tight uniforms were in a ready stance at the start line. Sky scanned the line for his parents until he found a light blue mare with a rainbow mane next to a darker blue pony with a navy blue mane. The buzzer went off and the ponies quickly jumped off the line and started flying around the track. Sky jumped at the sound and lost track of his parents. The stadium erupted in cheers for the race. Sky regained his focus and scanned the pack of flier for his parents. Flying around the first corner, Rainbow Dash trailed a yellow pony with an orange, flowed back mane. They were neck and neck going into the second straight away, The fans cheering even louder. As the racers approached the next turn, the blue stallion flew around the the outside of the two mares as they fought for first. They flew around the corner and came up to the start line. Lap one of ten was finished and the excitement around the stadium grew tenfold. The three leaders were only separated by a hair and Sky couldn’t tell if he was excited or nervous. It might have been both.

Sky jumped up and flapped his wings, “Let’s go Mom! Let’s go Dad!” he cheered as loud as he could, almost making Prime jump next to him. All of his friends decided to get into the cheering spirit as well.

“Yea! Go Sky’s parents!” Violet cheered, shining her horn in excitement.

“You two can do it!” Prime and Puzzle cheered simultaneously.

“Kick some plot you two!” Blue Wrench yelled, pumping his hoof in the air, making Violet roll her eyes.

“Go Sky’s Mom, go!” Volt yelled, getting a glare from Sky.

“Why just my mom? We want my dad to do well, too.” Sky questioned his friend.

“Well, I’m cheering for your mom because she’s pretty hot in my opinion, and if I cheered for your pops, that’d kinda be gay.” Volt responded confidently. Prime rolled her eyes at Volt while Puzzle facehooved. Sky looked at Volt with an unamused stare.

Sky looked over at Violet, “I can’t reach him, if you could,” he started.

“My pleasure,” Violet responded as she lifted her hoof. She swung it to backhoof Volt in the side of his head. His head jerked to the side, the pain prompting him to hold his hoof to the point of contact.

“Ow! What was that for?” Volt asked as he rubbed a growing bump on his head.

“You know exactly what it was for, dolt!” Violet asserted. Prime giggled Violets insult while Sky rolled his eyes and looked back at the race, where it was now lap three and Rainbow Dash, Spitfire and Soarin were still only hairs apart.

Meanwhile, in the luxury seats above the start/finish line, Twilight watched intimately while Crystal casually sat back in her chair, casually watching. She began to space out and thought back to the moment she met Sky, It was brief, but she felt like she needed to see him again. He felt so familiar to her, but she couldn’t put her hoof on why. She stayed deep in her thought until her focus was snapped.

She felt a tapping on her shoulder, “Crystal, aren’t you watching?” She came out of her deep thoughts and looked to see her Aunt looking back at her with concern.

“Oh, y-yea. I was just… thinking about some things,” Crystal responded with an awkward giggle.

“Well, the race is already almost halfway over, so help me cheer on Rainbow Dash.” Twilight encouraged. Crystal sat up next to her Aunt and looked down at the track. She tried to watch, but her eyes were having trouble keeping up with the racers.

She tapped Twilight on the shoulder, “So, um, which one is Rainbow Dash?” She asked with an awkward smile. She hadn’t seen Rainbow Dash since she was a little filly, so she couldn’t remember what she looked like.

Twilight kept her eyes on the race, “Just pay attention to the race, I’m sure you’ll figure it out.” Twilight responded with tutoring manner. Crystal followed her advice and looked at the pack. They finished turning around the last corner and flew right underneath the alicorns seats. Crystal noticed a rainbow trail that stood out from all the rest. Her eyes followed the trail to the pony creating said trail, finding a pony with a rainbow mane in the front of the pack. Crystal had a lightbulb go off in her head as she let out a gasp of realization, letting Twilight know her niece knew who to cheer for.

Three more laps had gone by, the three Wonderbolts continued to challenge each other as they broke further away from the rest of the pack. Spitfire had the slightest lead on Rainbow Dash, who in turn had a slight advantage on Soarin. They rounded the final turn and sped up to full speed on the straightaway. As they crossed the start/finish line, on the scoreboard above the stands across from Sky Knight and his friends appeared a message filling the entire screen saying, ‘Final Lap’ in large text with a white flag waving behind the font. The three leaders flew around the first turn at high speed, still neck and neck and neck.

“Holy cow, this race is very close. Who do you think will win?” Puzzle asked, looking over at the rest of the group. Everypony took a moment to think, watching as the leaders went into turn two.

Violet scratched her head, “I have no idea, it’s so close. What do you think, Sky?” She asked, looking at the blue pegasus. He had been sitting there with a grin since Puzzle asked who would win.

“My mom first, Spitfire second, and Dad third. That’s how it’s gonna end.” He confidently replied. Everyone looked at Sky in awe.

“Well that was abrupt.” Volt put in.

“Yeah, what makes you so confident in that scenario?” Prime asked the blue pegasus, glancing back at the race.

“Just watch, you’ll see.” Sky kept his eyes on the race the entire time, watching as Spitfire came to the third turn just barely ahead of Rainbow Dash and Soarin. Rainbow started to gain some ground on Spitfire coming around the turn as Soarin started to lag behind the mares. They finished off the final turn and burst into full speed coming to the finish line. Soarin fell further behind the two leaders while Spitfire remained just ahead of Rainbow Dash. The finish line was just mere seconds away, Rainbow was still behind by a split second, first place was just in sight. Sky remembered how determined his mom was to beat the alumni record. It would give her the record for most records as well as best alumni time. Sky watched as Rainbow Dash suddenly became even with the former captain and with a burst of speed, crossed the finish line just a nose ahead of Spitfire. The scoreboard lit up with a checkered flag animation. Everyone in the crowd seemed to jump up in sync, erupting in cheers as Rainbow Dash’s picture came up in front of the checkered flag with the word, ‘Winner’, written underneath her portrait. Sky and his friends joined in the cheering as the three leaders came to a halt ahead of the finish line, veering off to the center of the track. Rainbow and Spitfire landed next to each other, taking their goggles and masks at the same time. Spitfire hugged Rainbow Dash in congradulations. She returned the hug as the rest of the racers crossed the finish line. They held a small conversation in the hug, talking about the record, Sky assumed. Soarin floated over to the mares, causing them to end their hug. Soarin said something to get them to look at the scoreboard, which now said that the times were being processed. The announcer came onto the intercom once again.

“The official times are in! In third place, with a time of 12:19.97, Soarin!” The crowd cheered loudly as Soarin’s picture came up on the scoreboard with his time below his name. He stepped over to the podium in the center of the track, climbing to the third place platform. He stood tall and waved to the crowd with a smile.

“Second place, with a time of 12:04.03, Spitfire!” The crowd cheered louder for the former captain as she climbed up to the second place platform on the podium. She waved to the crowd, smiling modestly as ponies chanted her name, including Rainbow Dash, who stood next to the former captain, waiting for her name to be called.

“And first place, Rainbow Dash!” Everypony cheered even louder as she climbed to the top of the podium. The announcer continued, “With a time of..” She paused for a moment, causing the stadium to be almost completely silent in anticipation, eager to see if she broke the record. Up in the luxury seats, Crystal could feel the tension coming from the crowd. She didn’t understand sports much, but she could tell this was a very important moment just from the way Twilight was biting her hoof. Everypony looked at the scoreboard, waiting for the time to be announced below Rainbow Dash’s name. Sky Knight felt his stomach turning over and over, he was so nervous. Spitfire’s time was close, but his mom barely beat her. Thee announcer continued, “12:03…” she paused again for dramatic effect. Sky Knight held his breath along with his mom and the rest of the stadium, “.83! Beating the previous record of 12:03.86!” The crowd erupted in cheer, louder than they had the entire afternoon. Sky Knight jumped out of his seat and hovered above his friends at the same time his mother jumped up and hovered above the podium. They simultaneously did backflips and punched their hoof in the air. Sky Knight looked back down at his mom and put his front hooves around his mouth as he continued to hover.

“WAY TO GO MOM!” He yelled at the top of his lungs. Rainbow Dash looked up to the stands and scanned the crowd for a moment before spotting the hovering Sky Knight. She smiled triumphantly and pointed her hoof at her son as if she were asking for a hoof bump. Sky pointed back at her in reply, smiling proudly. They stayed locked in their staring for a few moments before Rainbow Dash broke the lock and fell back down to the podium and waved to the rest of the crowd. Sky Knight floated back down to his seat and continued to cheer along with the rest of the stadium.

A guard walked out onto the track with a pillow holding three medals, a bronze, a silver, and a gold. He crossed the track and started toward the podium. Then, Twilight stood up and opened her wings. She looked at her niece, whom looked back at her with curiosity.

“Alright, I’m up. I’ll be back in a moment.” Twilight said right before jumping off the ledge and started flying down to the center of the stadium. Crystal stuck her hoof out about to call her aunt back. She resisted and slumped back into her seat, not wanting to be alone again. As Twilight flew down, the announcer came back onto the intercom to announce her presence.

“And here is Princess Twilight Sparkle to present the medals to the top three finishers.” She landed gracefully next to the podium as cheers erupted again for her. She did her princess wave as she walked over to the guard carrying the medals. They walked side by side to the podium, stopping in front of Soarin first. Twilight used her magic to levitate the bronze medal. Soarin bowed his head to let Twilight put the medal around his neck. The cloth of the necklace brushed along his mane, making it look like his mane had a wave like the ocean. The magical aura around the medal disappeared and the medals full weight dropped onto Soarin's neck. As it dangled back and forth, Soarin lifted his head back up, looked at Twilight and nodded in thanks. Twilight nodded back and congratulated the blue pegasus. She continued past Rainbow Dash and stopped in front of the yellow-orange pegasus. Twilight levitated the silver medal with her purple, magical aura. Spitfire imitated the actions Soarin took just before and let the friendship princess lift the silver medal above her head and onto her neck. The princess released her magical grasp on the medal and let it dangle from the neck of the former captain. They exchanged nods, Twilight congratulated the runner up and continued on. Finally, she stopped in front of her long time friend and smiled with glee. She lifted the gold, first place medal from the pillow. Rainbow bowed her head to allow Twilight to hover the ribbon over her rainbow mane and around her neck. Twilight released her levitation and the aura around the gold medal dissipated, letting the gold medal dangle off of Rainbow Dash’s neck. The winner lifted her head back up and looked at Twilight with a huge smile. Twilight could do nothing but smile back. Both were so thrilled with the result, they barely held back squeals of joy to maintain professionalism. Twilight professionally congratulated her friend on her accomplishment. Rainbow nodded in reply, letting Twilight turn around and walk up to a microphone that had just been brought out. She tapped the microphone to make sure it was on before speaking.

“I present to you, the winners of the Wonderbolts alumni race!” She announced as she lifted her hoof to point to the ponies on the podium. The crowd responded with another round of cheering. The top three finishers continued waving to the crowd. Twilight waited a moment to let the wonderbolts shower in the chants of their names.

She then continued, “I’m very excited that you are all here to witness the first ever wonderbolts event in our brand new stadium here in Ponyville.” She paused after cheers slightly picked up again, “This is a huge milestone for the town, and it means a lot to me and all of those ponies involved in getting this stadium built,” Twilight glanced back at her rainbow maned friend, who let a light blush pop up. Twilight smiled and continued, “I hope you all enjoyed that race as much as I did, and I hope you’re even more excited for the main event, the current Wonderbolts will take the track in a few moments. So get ready for even more fun!” Twilight stepped away from the microphone and let the announcer take over.

“Once again, a big round of applause for Princess Twilight Sparkle!” The stadium followed the announcers request and cheered for the purple princess. Twilight waved to the crowd for a second, then proceeded to the tunnel past the track along with the guard that carried the medals. As they walked away, Rainbow Dash, Spitfire and Soarin began climbing off the podium as the announcer continued, “We will now take a short, 15 minute intermission to set up for the main event. We appreciate your patience.” The cheers died down and turned to normal conversation as the stadium crew began to set up the track for the next race. Sky Knight looked around to see ponies start to file into the isles and go into the halls to either go get something from the concession stand or go to the bathroom.

“Crap, I should get these down to the party before the halls get too crowded.” Sky said as he grabbed the cupcakes with urgency. He flew above his friends and landed on the stairs.

“I’ll come with, just in case you need someone to clear a path for you.” Volt Speed called out as he jumped into the aisle next to Sky. Violet then stepped out into the aisle in front of Volt, “Then I guess I’ll go too, just to make sure Volt doesn’t ‘clear a path’ by shoving a kid over or something.”

“Hey, I wouldn’t do that!” Volt said, half heartedly offended by her statement. Violet rolled her eyes at Volt.

Sky Knight sighed, “Anypony else want to make this group larger than it needs to be.” Sky looked over the rest of his friends, who all shook their heads.

“I’ll send Vi a message if they start anything before you guys get back.” Blue informed, getting a nod from Sky.

“Alright, let’s go.” He said before heading down the stairs with pace, Volt and Violet following close behind.

Up in the luxury seats, Crystal watched as her aunt disappeared from her sight as she walked into the tunnel. Crystal sighed and began watching as ponies either talked with their neighbors or walked into the halls. I hope she gets back soon, she thought as she stayed slumped in her seat, starting to go deep into thought.

“Miss me?” Crystal let out a small shriek as she almost fell out of her seat. She gathered herself and turned to see her purple aunt standing behind the chair, smiling. Twilight walked over to help her niece collect herself, “Sorry, didn’t mean to startle you like that.”

“How did you get up here so quickly?” Crystal asked.

“Teleportation, what else would I use to get here this quickly?” Twilight responded, making Crystal both curious and amazed.

“You teleported up here from all the way down there? I didn’t think teleportation had that much range.” Crystal said with amazement.

Twilight first responded with a slight giggle of pride, then continued, “For most unicorns, that’s true, but remember, alicorns contain more magical power than a normal unicorn.” Crystal was acknowledged that she understood that part with a nod, “After a lot of training over the years, I’ve increased my range so that it is only bested by the royal sisters.” Crystal looked at her aunt in amazement.

“That’s really cool! Do you think you could help me get better at teleporting? I’m only as good as normal unicorns at the moment.” Crystal requested, admiring her aunts talents.

“Will it interfere with how your mother is mentoring you?” Twilight wanted to be sure she wasn’t doing something that her sister in-law didn’t want to happen.

Crystal shook her head, “No, My mom has just been teaching me crystal magic and other magic needed as a future princess. If I keep practicing that as well, I should be fine.” Crystal assured, hoping her aunt was willing to teach her.

“Well then, of course I’ll help you with teleportation! I think that’ll be a really fun way to spend time together.” Twilight confirmed her willingness to help her niece. Crystal smiled with glee and hugged Twilight.

“Thank you so much, Auntie! I won’t let you down!” Crystal said.

Twilight hugged her niece back, “I don’t doubt it. I know you’ll do great.” They separated from each other and Twilight turned to the exit. “Alright, come with me. We’re going to go see Rainbow Dash at the alumni’s party. She’ll be thrilled to see you.” Crystal nodded and followed her aunt out of the luxury seats with a hop in her step. She was even more excited for her stay with Twilight over the summer than she was when she arrived in Ponyville. This is going to be so much fun! I hope this trip continues to be this eventful! Crystal thought as the two alicorns continued down the hall side by side.