• Published 8th Jul 2016
  • 293 Views, 2 Comments

Short stories - Bumdiddlyumptious



Short stories about characters that explore different situations in strange, detailed, or funny manners

  • ...
 2
 293

Appplejack Makes a Pie

Applejack had waited all day for the north-northeast portion of the apple ranch to be harvested enough for her to be in good regard with herself when she announced exactly how done she was with the day. She blasted open the door to the Apple family abode, believing that in front of her would stand her sister and brother and grandmother… But instead stood an entirely empty extra space, she stood there for just a moment, taking in the empty, solemn beauty that was brought fourth on sale days.

Sale days were a pretty common thing around the house, but it wrought with itself a very eerie and alien feeling every time the family- excluding Applejack, of course; had run off to sell the apples. At first they would stay out before sundown, and they would usually be back home, making dinner before the certain section of apple crop had her beat for the day. But soon the whole family- once again, without applejack; would stay out longer and longer, for whatever reason… Until they got to the point that Applejack would have to make her own dinner.

With a sigh, she wiped the sweat off her brow and decided that, even though she ached more than she'd like to admit, she deserved to give herself some fraction of a reward. She thought, that at this point, it was her obligation to herself. So while in the heat of the buffalo styled fall they were receiving, she tried to find some flour, and some other things she can use to throw together in a half assed effort to make a delicious pie.

Things got smooth sailing when she had found Granny Smith's pie recipe, the pie crust, mediocre, the apple filling, sugary, oven baking temperature, exact. At this point, the Pie was good enough to not be disrespectful to the Apple family brand. In addition, she cut corners, measuring less than exactly… But she's baked enough to not make anything really inedible.

After a bit of thinking to herself, she laughs at the time she had been so tired that she put worms in muffins. Then for just a moment she felt solemn with regret after seeing that she had no repercussions for what she's done.

With the scent of the sweet and slightly sickly pie profusely steaming throughout the kitchen that's diligently produced pies like the one she's pulled out of the oven. She swears that anything baked in this oven is good, and that the box is blessed, even though essentially it's just a metal box that produces heat. A smile creeps onto her face, moving her three symmetrical freckles closer to her ears. And with that little spot of joy, she places the pie in the windowsill, to allow it to cool.

Author's Note:

Got a case of 'and that's it!' from this story, seeing as it has a very anticlimactic ending, which i find a bit of moronic joy from this story being as simply told as it is.