• Published 22nd Jun 2012
  • 841 Views, 17 Comments

The Reach - Gear Box



Things become complicated for an author when he finds the monsters he writes about coming to life.

  • ...
 17
 841

Chapter 4

Princess Luna's new, playful attitude is so unbecoming of her, one would never think that only a few years ago part of her had tried to overthrow her own sister's reign. Although, who am I to say “unbecoming”? For this entire time that I've known her, she's always had a somewhat whimsical air about her. I suppose like everypony else, I've been influenced by the old mare's tale of her being a dark and terrible tyrant.

“Every year we put on a disguise
To save ourselves from her searching eyes
But Nightmare Moon just wants only one thing
To gobble up ponies in one quick swing...”

Maybe before her transformation all those years ago, she was just as fun-loving as she is now (even if only in a more archaic way).

Besides, who can blame her? We've all got a little bit of darkness inside of us.

Incidentally, Luna's inner darkness has apparently found it necessary that I participate in this year's festivities. After numerous failed attempts to “peacefully” coax me out of her room and down to the dining hall, she eventually resorted to having her personal guards apprehend me. If this is what my tax bits are paying them for, I'll be bucked if Celestia doesn't hear about it.

As a result, I now stand on a small stage in the dining hall, being stared down by nearly three dozen foals. As I understand it, Luna has arranged for me to be this year's “Scary Story Teller”. There is a very small chance that maybe, just maybe, had I been given preparation time, I would have agreed to this. Unfortunately, Luna must think it hilarious to see me standing up here without a story to tell, given she's hiding in the back of the hall, snickering.

A few of the servant-ponies dash around the room, dousing a few of the braziers, and in turn dimming the room. One of them brings me my own candle, which I assume I'm supposed to use for effect.

At least it's dark. Maybe they won't notice that I'm still a blank-flank.

“Heya mister! Where's yer cutie mark?”

Horseapples.

I'm not sure how this little red-headed filly managed to figure that out from the back of the audience, but she did. The crowd of foals begins to murmur and whisper. I think a few of them are even giggling.

Great, just like school all over again.

Another orange filly standing next to the red-haired one speaks up.

“I don't think he has one! He's just like us! Hey mister, how'd you like to be a Cutie Mark Cru -”

“Quiet now, everyone!” A purple mare who I vaguely recognize from Ponyville finally hushes the children. “This stallion's name is Inkwell, and he's an author. He writes scary stories for a living, so I'm sure he has an interesting tale to tell us. Don't you, Mr. Inkwell?”

Not likely.

I don't have any of my books memorized. What am I supposed to say?

A white filly sitting next to the first two attempts to push her head above those in front of her.

“Tell us why you don't have your cutie mark, sir! Didn't you ever find your special talent? Isn't it writing?”

They're not going to let up, are they?

I struggle, trying to find the words to say. How could I when I don't even know the answer myself?

“Well, I uh...”

The purple mare, who I now recognize as Cherilee the school teacher, puts her hoof over the white filly's mouth.

“Oh, now don't be rude! That's his private business. I'm sure Mr. Inkwell would like to keep it that way.”

Wait, that's it.

“Actually, Miss Cherilee, it's quite all right. The story I've come to tell tonight is precisely about why I do not have my cutie mark. Tell me, colts and fillies, have you ever heard of the Cutie Mark Eater?”

I notice the three most belligerent fillies in the audience have pushed their way to the very front of the stage. They stare directly up at me with a keen mixture of interest and fear that I cannot find in any of the other foals. I'm not telling this story to them. I'm telling it to these three.

“Th-th-the Cutie Mark Eater? What in tarnation's th-that?” the red-haired one stutters.

“Why, he's only one of the most evil spirits to ever break free from the gates of Tartaurus."

“But he actually eats cutie marks? How's he do that?” the orange one says, appearing skeptical.

“Oh, yes! But he doesn't just eat them. He absorbs them. Late at night, when everypony is asleep, he'll slip in through a window and slowly creep to your bedside. He'll take the covers off to reveal your cutie mark, and just like that... he rips it off!

A simultaneous 'Eep!' ripples through the crowd as I exaggerate my voice. This is proving to be more fun than I thought it would be.

“B-but why doesn't Princess Celestia stop him?” the white one asks.

“Ah, an excellent question. Because she can't find him! You see, nopony has ever actually seen him. When he's feeding on cutie marks, he becomes invisible; a shadow, actually. But here's the thing: when he isn't hunting ponies, he looks just like you and I. Like all spirits, before he became a phantom, he was a living pony. The legend says that he never received his cutie mark or figured out his special talent. He became angry, spiteful, and jealous. Because of this, when his time came, he never went on to greener pastures. Instead, he became a haunting spirit and was sent to Tartaurus. But now, he's escaped! Still seething with hate for never receiving his cutie mark, he's decided that he'll steal others'. He looks just like a normal pony too, so I guess we'd never know who he was, even if he was standing right in front of us.” I top my story of with a devilish grin. The foals, now trembling, seem to be much more scared of me rather than the story.

Good, I think they've caught on.

The white one speaks again.

“But sir, what if he goes after a filly that doesn't have a cutie mark? We're safe, right?!”

A let out a particularly sinister laugh.

“Oh, my little ponies. That's the absolute worst possible thing that could happen. You see... if he goes after a filly and discovers she has no cutie mark for him to eat, well... he'll be quite angry. So instead of eating a cutie mark... he'll... eat... you!” I throw my hooves up in the air and snarl at them for good measure.

All at once, the foals jump into the air screaming and dash out of the hall. Poor Miss Cherilee gives chase, trying to calm them down. In mere seconds, Luna and I are the only ones left in the room. I step off the stage and begin to walk towards her.

“That was quite the story Inkwell! I never knew you were such a performer.” the princess says, smiling. “Maybe you should come back next year!”

“Heh. Maybe. But you'll have to actually give me a 2-weeks notice to prepare something next time. Celestia knows where I pulled that story out of. I really had to step out of my comfort-zone for that one.”

She laughs.

“Nonsense, you were wonderful. The foals loved it! Or rather, they will when they're done screaming their heads off.”

We both look outside the windows to see Miss Cherilee attempting to round up her students as they scramble around through the gardens. “Eh... she'll be fine.”

I can't help but feel a little guilty for the schoolteacher.

“Are you sure? I mean, I can go -”

“She'll be fine! Have you forgotten what you're here for, Inkwell? You held up your end of the bargain, now I shall hold up mine.”

She spits in her hoof and extends it in front of me. Not what I'd expect from royalty, but it's not like anything else has been normal today. I do the same and shake hooves with her.

“Can you imagine if Celestia saw us doing this?” I say, chuckling.

“Ugh, she'd have a foal and send us both to the moon. Now, come on! We've got rules to break.” she replies, grinning.