• Published 2nd Jul 2016
  • 817 Views, 5 Comments

Powerless - ultra1437



Cadance has a nightmare.

  • ...
0
 5
 817

Useless

A harsh wind blew over a lone, galloping mare, tussling her multicolored mane and tail. The field was covered in snow, forcing her to watch her footing, lest she trip. The harsh winter air it carried cut through her pink fur, chilling her to the bone. Still, she ran, fear winning over feeling cold. Looking back, she saw three others following her sedately, somehow still keeping up. The three blurs behind her were indistinct in shape, but she recognized the colors in them, further feeding her terror.

You have no real power, Cadenza,” one purred, sounding much like her best friend. Cadance’s ears pinned back and she desperately wished to block out the voices’ chanting.

We hold all the real power, you might as well be nothing!” this voice came from somepony that, with any other tone, might have been her mother. The sheer disdain in the voice chilled Cadance to the bone more than even the mightiest blizzard.

You’re not a real princess…” another chided condescendingly. That alto voice wasn’t as familiar, but still hurt.

Cadance spread her wings, leaping into the air. Flapping powerfully several times and pouring on speed, she looked back toward her pursuers. Just where they had always seemed to be, about ten pony-lengths back, walking sedately after her, almost like they weren’t even trying to chase her.

Something brushed across one of her wings, wrenching it out of place painfully. She started to spiral, the ground coming up fast. Just before she slammed into the ground she shut her eyes–


Princess Cadance woke with a start. A moment passed as she sat up, letting her breathing slow down. Gathering her bearings, she found herself in bed, snuggled against her husband, Shining Armor. Her fur was ruffled and matted in sweat, and several strands of her mane were out of place. Shining was out cold, snoring softly as he was.

Despite the adorable sight that normally calmed her down if she woke up from a bad dream, it didn’t help.

Getting up to get a glass of water, she passed by their suite’s balcony. It was near dawn, the moon falling down near the horizon as the dark sky lightened at the horizon.

Stopping at the sight, she remembered the nightmare. She softly spoke, barely audible in the room, “Am I a real princess? What if Celestia and Luna put me here in charge as a figurehead?”

She stepped closer, placing a hoof on the door. “What if they made me the Crystal Princess only because I became an alicorn?”

“Tis not true, Cadenza. We believe in you unfailingly.” A voice replied, just as soft as her own.

Whipping around instantly, her mouth opened to shout, but a blue aura wrapped around her muzzle and forced it shut. Cadance regarded the intruder, Princess Luna, with a healthy dose of suspicion.

Ears pinned back, Luna explained, “We are–I am sorry for scaring you, Cadenza, but I sensed your nightmare. You woke before I could intervene, but I knew you needed my help.” She gestured to herself. “Now here I am.”

Releasing Cadance’s muzzle, Luna took one step closer. Luna’s look turned hard. “Mine sister and I placed our trust in you to bring these ponies peace, prosperity, and love. If we did not think you were up to the task, we would not have done so.”

“But I–”

“But nothing, Cadenza. You have done nothing short of amazing work here already.” Luna stared out, past Cadance, out to the city’s homes and businesses. “Your subjects are happier than they have likely ever been, and not because King Sombra is gone. They have real faith in you.” Luna’s eyes met Cadance’s once more. “They love you, Cadenza. You are not a failure, figurehead, and certainly not powerless.”

“But I’m not as good a ruler as you or Celestia. I never will–”

The blue aura returned and Cadance’s muzzle slammed shut, her teeth clicking together.

Luna’s soft gaze immediately sharpened to steel, her eyes boring into Cadance. “Cadenza. I will keep saying this as long as I have to. You may not have as much as experience as mine sister or I, but you are not a bad princess. You never have been.”

Cadance’s eyes misted for a few seconds before a single tear fell.

Luna closed the gap, drawing the pink alicorn into a hug. Cadance gave in immediately, sobbing quietly into Luna’s neck. Luna whispered softly, comfortingly, into Cadance’s ears in an attempt to help the distraught princess calm down.

After a few minutes it seemed to work, Cadance seemed to calm down enough to be coherent.

Smiling softly Luna asked, “Besides, if you were a figurehead, how would mine sister and I respond to you asking?” The blue aura disappeared, letting Cadance talk again. “Shouting that you’re onto us and we now have to resort to an emergency plan or hiding under our bedcovers or somesuch nonsense?

Cadance giggled softly, “That would be hilarious.” She hugged Luna once more before pulling away. “I–Thank you, Luna. I feel much better.”

Looking out to the city below, the sun had already started peeking above the horizon, signaling how long they’d been talking.

“You art–are welcome, Cadenza.”

Cadance yawned before smiling back to Luna.

Luna looked concerned for a moment, “You will be alright, then?”

Cadance nodded. “I–I think I will. Thank you for helping me. I– I guess I’m not a perfect princess.” Cadance swept Luna up in a hug this time.

“You do not need to be, Cadenza–”

Cadance’s eyes almost begged her, “Cadance. We’re family. Call me Cadance.”

Their eyes met, Cadance’s gaze brokering no argument on the topic.

Luna relented, “Alright, Cadance. Back to my point, you do not need to be perfect. Neither my sister nor I are.” Luna seemed to shrug in Cadence’s embrace. “Do not try to be perfect, just be the best you can be. That is all mine sister, myself, and your subjects ask of you.”

Pulling herself from Cadance’s embrace, Luna stepped back. “I must return to Canterlot now, Cadance. Please, do not hesitate to come to mine sister or myself if you have any thoughts like this again.” She nuzzled Cadance’s cheek. “Alright?”

Cadance nodded, and a scant few seconds later, a soft blue flash heralded Luna’s departure. Smiling softly, Cadance returned to bed. She climbed in, nestled against her husband and fell asleep easily, a great weight lifted from her shoulders.

Author's Note:

I blame Silfoe for this. This idea planted in my head almost instantly as I saw what she drew.