• Published 21st Jun 2012
  • 786 Views, 10 Comments

Carpe Diem: Rise of the Sun - BluePhoenyx



a pony escapes his torments for a new life

  • ...
1
 10
 786

CH.4 the battle dome

Night had fallen and large torches had been lit in the dome to provide light for the hundreds of Minotaur that had filled the seats and were stomping their hooves and snorting with excitement. Diem looked out from their holding area. It was a cage with a tunnel that led down to the depths of the arena where competitors were held. Across the circular arena another cage that was dark and showed no signs of life.

“Was this part of your plan?” Diem asked, glaring at Freyr.

Freyr lightly tilts his head to Diem as they both continue to look through the door. “The Minotaur love competition almost as much as winning.” Freyr said and looked towards the arena. “They don’t respect you, much less notice you, if you’re not strong. I figured they would try something but their arena is brutal.” He added. He seemed troubled as the small light from a hole in the thatch roof of their cage glistened off his brown scales and shined in Diem’s eyes. Diem snorted in annoyance.

“What are we fighting?” he asked, trying to see the other side.

Before Freyr could reply, a large Minotaur, about the size of Freyr, with a heavy spear nearly twice his size came climbing out of the slope on the other side and snorted heavily, Diem’s eyes widened in terror, and then quickly turned his head to glare at Freyr

“We have to fight that!?” He asked, yelling at the top of his lungs. The chanting from the stadium boomed and the audience’s stomping thundered. All of it drowned his voice out as soon as it left their cage..

“That’s what you have to fight.” Freyr said, lowering his head slightly and nudging the golden unicorn pony out into the arena.

“Of course.” Diem mumbled. He was feeling weak from his wounds and the traveling.

He stepped out into the light of the torches and faced the beast in front of him. The stadium roared in cheers and hoof stomping while Diem and the Minotaur circled each other. Diem’s heart raced as the memories of the Chimera City flooded his mind. He could almost hear his chains rattling behind him and the sound of the whip they had used to make him tougher. They had laughed at him for not having a cutie mark like most ponies, and continuously whipped the area where one should have been. It wasn’t his fault; he had just been developing into a young pony when they captured him and was only just trying to decide what his talents were. With the scars on his flank he didn’t think a mark could ever appear there and had stopped striving to find his talent. All he cared about now, was surviving.

Diem felt the earth shake, bringing him back to reality as the Minotaur circled him. Diem kept his eyes and horn pointed at him and waited. If he made the first move, there was a chance this beast would have enough time to prepare a counter attack. On the other hand, if his opponent made the first move, Diem was small enough and quick enough to get out of the way. For now, that was his best choice. The Minotaur knew the options on the table as well but his blood thirst got the better of him and he attacked. His spear was poised to run Diem through in one fell swoop. The Minotaur charged at a break neck speed, Diem barely had the chance to move out of the way and the spear tip grazed his left shoulder. Diem rolled out of the way, leaving a trail of blood behind him and kicking up dirt. Cheers thundered through the stadium and various food items rained down on the fighters. Diem was hit by half a head of lettuce which fell apart as it hit his body. Diem reared, charging at the Minotaur was trying to turn around.

“He’s too heavy, too slow.” Diem thought as he charged. He neighed loudly and jumped into the air, aiming his chipped horn at the Minotaur’s face. If he calculated this right, just as the Minotaur turned, his horn would pierce his neck and the battle would be over. As he soared through the air, Diem failed to notice the Minotaur’s arm rise up with an amazing speed. The Minotaur’s fist, which was nearly the size of Diem’s head, slammed into his side and sent him flying through the air, hitting the wall that acted as a barrier between the players in the arena and the audience. Pain surged through Diem’s body as he fell back down to the dirt. Blood spewed from his muzzle along with other bowel contents. He stood up slowly, dizzy from the hit and his exhaustion, he stumbled forward towards the Minotaur who had completely turned around and was poising his spear for a throw. There would be no way for Diem to avoid it in his current condition. He closed his eyes and waited as the Minotaur let his spear fly through the air as Freyr rushed out of the dug-out and flew with claws out to the Minotaur.

The arena was quiet and still. Diem could only hear the sound of the spear tearing through the space between him and its owner. Memories of him and his family together in their small village swarmed through his mind. He could see his Mother, Father, and Brother smiling happily. His Mother would be covered in clay and smell like earth while his Father would have the same tired smile on his face. His brother would run over and pin him down; messing up his mane and laughing while flour and plant material fell off him and onto the floor of their home. The memories faded as he opened his eyes and saw the spear tip only inches from his face. He gasped and clenched his eyes shut but when he didn’t feel the sting of the spear he opened his eyes again and saw that the spear was still inches from his face and glowing a slight yellow. He stepped back and finally noticed the feeling of magic filtering through his horn.

The arena was quiet as the magic failed and the spear dropped to the ground. Freyr had the Minotaur pinned down with a giant claw on his chest. Diem dropped to his knees and panted heavily as the adrenaline and shock pumped through his body. His vision blurred and he felt like he was going to throw up. He had only ever used magic a few times at home, his brother had been better at it than him and the most Diem ever lifted was a few pots his mother made or a couple of books when cleaning. A spear, hurdling towards him, was something he never even thought he could manage. The feat had drained him and he had just enough time to look up and see Freyr walking towards him before blacking out entirely.