• Published 26th Nov 2011
  • 1,376 Views, 5 Comments

Shower of Memories - Strife



'Skipper' has always been a tradition of sorts among a friend their protege. This is one of those.

  • ...
1
 5
 1,376

A Spectral New Dawn

CRASH!

“AGH! Why … can’t … I ... DO THIS!?” The small orange filly continued to express her rage. Getting up, she shook her head and walked to the top of a small hill, seemingly for the hundredth time. At the far end of the small hill was an abrupt drop, perfect for a jump start. Scootaloo calmed her nerves again as she thought to herself. OK, try this again. I know I can do it this time … I just know it!

Backing up several steps, the restless filly took off with a running start. She ran as fast as her small hooves would go. The gap between her and the little cliff was disappearing rapidly; the dull sound of her steps the only thing she could hear. Seconds later her legs no longer felt the sturdy reassurance of the ground below, but instead only air.

Determined, Scootaloo beat her tiny wings as fast as they would go. Her efforts were in vain, for gravity began to grasp her body and tug the filly back to earth. Relentless as ever, she refused to lose this time. Buzzing with the roar of a bee colony, even a humming bird would be jealous with how fast those tiny little wings furiously flapped. Unfortunately her efforts were not good enough, for gravity tightened its steely grip and dragged poor Scootaloo back to ground level.

CRASH!

“Oh what the hay!” The frustrated filly’s eyes began to well up. Why can’t I do this? It’s the only thing I’ve ever wanted to do! Something as simple as flying, I am a Pegasus after all, why can’t I do this? Sulking, Scootaloo found a nice patch of grass to lie down in.

Despite the filly’s gloomy mood, the day was nice. Shining brightly, the sun freely handed out warmth with every ray that struck a surface. Light and gentle was a breeze dancing about the air, balancing out the sun with its cool touch. Well into Spring, the flowers were in full bloom, coloring the landscape with an awe inspiring sprinkle of character and life. Filling out the mosaic of beauty, various critters scampered or flew about, all enjoying the wonderful day.

Nice things always coming to an end, the day was scheduled for a soothing spring thunderstorm later in the day. Everypony in the area was enjoying the sun while it lasted. Even now a few grey clouds started to speckle the sky.

Scootaloo looked up and noticed the grey clouds. Rain … I hate rain. The poor filly’s mood worsened. Even with a park full of ponies she felt entirely alone, just as she had her entire life. Not feeling like she belonged anywhere else, the filly remained where she was, even as the first drops of rain started to kiss the ground.

She was familiar with the rain … it marked every important moment of her life …


The drops plummeted to the ground in sheets, leaving nothing in its path dry. This included one exceptionally young filly that was wandering the paths of Cloudsdale all alone. Her short magenta mane absorbed the water and made it stick to her body. More water, another thing to weight her down. Just like I seem to weigh everypony else down, she thought.

Why did they leave me? Again. Does nopony love me? A very young Scootaloo continued to walk around aimlessly in the rain, not having anywhere to go. The only sounds being that of the relentless rain as every drop echoed in the filly’s empty heart. She was yet again abandoned by those who were to take care of her, dropped off in another strange town.

After several minutes of hollow despair, the lonely pony stopped right where she was. Suddenly she burst out in tears and grief. “Always so alone! What did I do to anypony for this?” No longer strong enough to stand, her four legs buckled as she collapsed. “I – I just want to be loved! That’s all I want! Nothing more …” The rain continued to harass Scootaloo, tears flowing from her eyes and blending with the water that fell around her. Weakly taking a look around her, she noticed the emptiness of the walkways. A hole that perfectly reflected what she felt within.

The young filly continued to weep in solitude, unrelenting rain falling harder and harder.


Scootaloo continued to relive her memories of time past, sitting on the patch of grass. The rain continued to fall, possibly even the water of her tears from then. Entirely lost in thought she was unaffected by the cold rain, her heart frozen from neglect long ago.

Wallowing in emotions, the despairing filly almost didn’t notice that the rain above her stopped to fall. Looking up from her tears confused her even more as the rain continued around her, but not hit her. A voice beside her made her jump, “Why out here in the rain all alone?” Scootaloo looked to the left, noticing a blue pony with a rainbow mane and tail extending a wing out to cover her. A moment of silence went by, Scootaloo unable to register what was happening. “Come on little one, follow me.” The blue pony waited for Scootaloo to get up before continuing down the path, making sure her wing kept the younger filly from getting hit by the rain.

“Well my name’s Rainbow Dash! How about you?” Still confounded by the present situation, the orange filly could only stutter. “I – I’m …” She took a deep breath, still unsure why anypony would be talking to her, still not believing it. “I’m Scootaloo.”

Rainbow Dash let out a friendly laugh. “Haha! Scootaloo then! Why are you out here all alone, and in the rain no doubt! Do you like the rain?”

“No, I hate the rain!” Scootaloo looked at the rainbow-maned pony again, still curious as to who would take time for her. She noticed the odd hat on the older pony’s head and quickly changed the subject. “What - what is that strange hat for?”

Smiling, Rainbow Dash took a glance at the orange filly. “Oh, this old thing? This is my sailing hat!” Scootaloo’s face screwed up in confusion. “A sailing hat? But we don’t have an ocean anywhere near us!” The older pony continued to smile. “Not the ocean, oh no. Something far larger and grander; the Sky! So big and welcoming and unrestricting … I could sail the sky all day and night, the Skipper that never stops and never quits!”

Scootaloo’s confusion deepened. “But you stopped to talk to me …”

“Even the best of Skippers need to dock on land for some rest. Besides, you looked like you needed some company.”

The two ponies stopped as they got under the cover of a nearby building. Rainbow Dash folded her wing back in and turned to the younger one. “Well, my little rest is over, time to sail the sky once more!” Scootaloo blurted out, “Wait!” Dash stopped and looked back as the orange filly continued. “Will … will I ever see you again?”

The older filly nodded her head, causing her rainbow mane to sway a bit. “Of course! Next time you can be my co-skipper! But for now I must be off.” She let out one last smile before jumping into the air with a strong series of wing pumps.

Scootaloo looked on in wonder as the other pony flew away into the rain, finally being swallowed by the clouds. She attempted a smile, perhaps the first ever, as her eyes were dry for the first time in a long while.