• Published 20th Jun 2016
  • 566 Views, 16 Comments

Hard To Say Good Bye - BellChime



Pinkie Pie wishes Rainbow Dash would wake up.

  • ...
4
 16
 566

Chapter 3

The room was silent except for the ever present Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...of Rainbow Dash’s heart monitor.

Pinkie knew that she only need to call for Maud’s company and comfort, yet she couldn’t. This wasn't something Maud could help with.

“H-Hey, Rainbow Dash,” She said after what seemed like ages, taking her friend’s hoof in her own.
Rainbow Dash didn’t answer.

“It feels like years since I’ve last saw you.” She whispered. “You silly-filly, you shouldn’t have gone so near the twister.”

Twilight’s words echoed in her mind. They think she lost control in the winds…

“Why, Rainbow Dash, why? Did you know that the big mean twister had it in for you? Or were you showing off...or…or were you caught off guard?” Pinkie asked. She could feel her eyes moistening, but not a single tear fell. “Silly-Filly.”

Silence fell on the room again.

A hundred scenarios of the incident played out through Pinkie’s mind. In some, Rainbow was immediately knocked out by a piece of wood, others, she was strewn out like ragdoll, in pain, pleading for her life. Pinkie hated those ones, the ones where Rainbow was helpless. She knew Rainbow would hate it too, so immediately after apologizing to Rainbow, she would think up one where Rainbow was fierce, defiant, fighting like a lion.
But the ending was never different. She always lost.

After thirty long, long, long minutes, Pinkie finally managed to ease her eyes from Rainbow Dash's still form.

Gently slipping her hoof out from Rainbow Dash’s, Pinkie began to turn for the door-

Listen.

“What?” Pinkie said aloud.

A dream. Just last night. A memory flickered through her mind.

Pinkie closed her eyes, concentrating. A dream...Rainbow Dash sad…

Pinkie Pie’s eyes flew open with realization.

What.

What. Had. She. Done.

Bad Pinkie, Bad! Pinkie sank into a seat near Rainbow's bed resting her head in her hooves, suddenly sobbing, unable stop, unable to move.


Five minutes later, Twilight entered, levitating several scrolls before her.

“Rainbow’s family is practically nowhere in the records! I’ve got zilch on her father, a name for her mom, but apparently nobody’s seen her in years-Pinkie?”

Concerned, she gently nudged the shoulder of her friend.

Pinkie lifted two red-rimmed eyes to meet Twilight’s concerned ones. “This is all my fault, Twilight,” She whispered.

“...How?”

Pinkie got up from the bed and began to pace. “I had this dream-Twister, but not the game-and-and there was Rainbow Dash-I thought it was just a dream-and what do you do when there’s a bad dream, you try to wake up, so that’s what I did-Oh, Twilight, I’m such a bad friend!”

“Wait, wait…” Twilight said, waving one forehoof to silence Pinkie. “Let me see if I’m following. You had a dream about Rainbow Dash last night, and she asked you for help, but you said no, because…?”

“Because I didn’t like seeing her sad, but I thought I was dreaming, and I hate bad dreams, so I didn’t want to see her sad, and so I wanted to wake up…”

“Pinkie,” Said Twilight kindly, “It was just a dream. And anyway, Rainbow Dash was rushed to the hospital late evening, you would still have been on the train to your parent’s house, not asleep.”

“But she might have come later...I just...Twilight, I should have been there for her. She CAME to me, and I let her down.” Pinkie hung her head.

“It was just a dream, Pinkie.” Twilight repeated. She stroked Rainbow’s mane briefly before turning back to dejected earth pony.

“Now, I have some detective work to do.” She stared down at her saddlebag of papers, frustrated. “If Rainbow has any next of kin around to handle her affairs, they sure are making it difficult for me to find them.” She sighed and left. “Oh! Tell me if there’s any change. It can’t hurt to hope a little, right?”

“Sure.” Said Pinkie flatly. Affairs?! Is that all you care about?! How’d about you sit here with your FRIEND, Twilight, instead of-Oh, what am I thinking? I turned my back on Rainbow, but I WON’T do the same to Twilight. She’s my friend! They’re both my friends! Why did this have to happen?! Why?!

Pinkie hung her head. “I wish you were here, Rainbow.” She whispered.

Listen…

“And I’m so sorry.”

Author's Note:

Anger and guilt...unpleasant yet important. :fluttershysad: