• Published 11th Jun 2016
  • 225 Views, 1 Comments

A Brother's Journey - LukeDaDuke



Two brothers must go on a journey to the unknown land of Equestria in order to find a way to save their home.

  • ...
 1
 225

Across the Great Water

Emperor Henry the Maleficent. A name that was earned through the sweat and blood through the hard work of his pony subjects. Before him, the land the Empire stood was just a set of independent principalities, all of which were at war with one another. After years of fighting Henry carved himself a way to glory, overturning one kingdom after another until all were bowing before his hooves. To ensure stability he let the remaining Monarchs keep their titles and issued an Assembly to represent them in a somewhat democratic structure, as long as they stayed loyal to the Emperor everything would be fine. And for almost a century it worked.

Under his rule a Golden Age of Magic happened. Unicorns were able to unlock secrets from ancient texts found in ruins scattered about the forest. One of these secrets was enhancing the Magic in every pony. Pegasus learned to bolster up magic in their wings and use it to fly faster, higher, and longer. Earth ponies unlocked the ability to feel deep into the roots of the ground, heightening the nutrients and making large irrigation farms bringing a long lasting harvest each year. Finally unicorns, they became masters of magic, magnifying the effects of medicine and advancing technology beyond comprehension. And with this technological advancement brought the advancement of the armed forces. Earth ponies crafted thicker armor, pegasus now charged with greater ferocity, wielding longer and sharper spears, unicorn spies teleporting and turning invisible with a blink of an eye. All of these advancements only divided the kingdom through competition. Creating greater schism's within the Empire and flaring up old rivalries. The only thing that was stopping another endless war was him, and he was getting old.

Having spent his entire life as a leader, he never could produce a legitimate heir to the throne. He must find a way to ensure the kingdom won't tear itself apart long after he is gone. Legends of a faraway land, across the Great Water where a Kingdom has stayed intact for thousands of years. Sanctuary.

"My home, my country, my legacy...I will not let it end, not like this!"

The old stallion hobbled down a long hallway. Two Royal Guards at both sides walking slowly with their Emperor, their black and gold armor clanking with each step. With old bones and heavy muscles he walked through a large door leading to his sleeping quarters where his adviser had been waiting patiently.

"Is there word from the Council of Wizards? Have they found anything out about this Equestria?"

"I am sorry your Highness, the few things we know came from those Yakistani merchants about four princesses, and you know we can't take their word for it. The only defining thing is that their lands are filled with magic and have lasted for over a thousands years. They need more time."

"I DON'T HAVE TIME!", The Emperor shot back making his meek adviser jump. "I can feel the Gray Horse move closer and closer each day, I don't know IF I can last til the end of Harvest!", After spending his entire life building something only to see it crumble apart in the end.

"Highness, during their research they sensed an anomaly, a large serge of Magic coming across the Great Water. They were able to pinpoint the direction it came from. We can try to send a scouting party, through the wisdom from the old ones, and you of course we found a way to build stronger ships that can safely traverse the rough waves."

"I have lost too many subjects to those waters, but it seems it is the only way!"


"Now presenting Ulrich der Bar Captain of the Winged Horssars, Hero of the Battle of the Northern Forest Border," The herald then opened the two large doors and entered a tall pegasus wearing a full suit of armor, painted black and silver with steel wings raised from the shoulders. Rather than the normal ornamental armor that most soldiers would choose to wear when called to social events, Ulrich was all business. Eager to prove his loyalty to the Empire, and Emperor Henry knew that.

"Ah Captain, so glad you can join us."

Ulrich keeled on his two front hooves and bowed before the Emperor. "Oh Mighty Henry the Enlightened, King of Kings, it is an honor to be in your presence. How can your servant of steel be of service?"

"Rise Captain, through your acts of wholehearted devotion, you have proved yourself more loyal than any other pony in my court," The Emperor stared at the still prostrated soldier, "even with your past misconducts against my kingdom."

"I wish to show you my appreciation for my life that you chose to spare."

"I saw in you something special Captain, something that was worth more to me than another carcass in a pit. I have a very important mission, you will be accompanying my crew to find Equestria!"

"If it is your wish, I shall make it so, I will ready my men and..."

"No!" the Emperor interrupted, "I said MY crew not your unit. Don't worry, while you are away they shall join the ranks of my Royal Guard. Besides, there is one certain member of my crew who would love to see you."


A young unicorn stood, with fur as brown as dirt and a mane black as night, wearing nothing but a hooded tarp on his back.

"Highness who is that unicorn?."

Emperor Henry chuckled, "I guess it has been a while since the last time you were together. Captain Ulrich, say hello to Bernhard the Watchful, or would you feel more comfortable just calling him brother?"

"What?! Bernhard is my companion?!" Ulrich stumbled a little, but kept his composure.

"It really is you Ulrich, glad to see you have made a recovery." Bernhard gave a warming smile, but was only greeted with the cold steel of Ulrich helmet.

"Correction, you are his companion! Or more specifically you must be his bodyguard. We don't know what is out there, I don't want to risk sending a whole battalion for fear of them thinking it as an invasion. Bernhard is really a charismatic pony, he helped wind down tension when negotiations arise between the principalities, but that's not going to be enough now. The actual crew sailing won't be accompanying either of you, they have their own task at hoof. When they drop you off you both must find the leader of their lands and convince them to help our nation in this time of distress!"

"How are we supposed to get back?"

"If these Princesses are truly willing to help they will provide a way back."

"I am a soldier not a diplomat, and Bernhard is....what do you expect us to do?"

"You don't give him enough credit, Bernhard is a smart pony. While you were being treated he was studying with the Wizard Council. He was the one who originally sensed the surge of Magic, he will become very powerful someday. Even before studying he showed great potential." The Emperor smirked and looked at the knight, armor still covering up any emotion that could be shown.

Ulrich stayed still, not saying a word in response.

"Captain!" The Emperor's words were like war horns to the soldier, pulling him out of his daze. "This is very important, the entire Empire rests on this mission, I can only keep the try to find a way to bring peace to our nation. Whatever it takes! If they indeed have lasted for over a thousand years then they surely would have a solution to our problem. Now go and get rest, you leave first thing tomorrow mourning, across the Great Water."


Mourning. The cool air flowing through Bernhard's mane, he was listening to the crew finish their preparations. Up in the crows nest everything can be seen. From the workers getting the last bit of supplies on board to the unicorns preparing a wind spell to send the ship off.

"Time for an adventure! For Glory!"

Ulrich stayed hidden in his cabin, carefully putting on each piece of armor so delicately crafted for his body. The burns and scars from that night was a grim reminder of past sins. He could feel the creaks of the ship start to move.

"Time to save the Empire. For Honor!"

Emperor Henry stood on a hill overseeing the ship cast off. Eyes weary from the sun's greeting, muscles aching from the cold. A chill went down his spine, a single tear fell streaming down his cheek. In the back of his mind he hoped they wouldn't succeed, he hoped for them to live the rest of their lives at peace in Equestria, away from his blood-made Kingdom. He knew better, when something is put in motion they would follow through to the end.

"This is the beginning of a new future."

Author's Note:

I was inspired to make this after playing a game of Civilization 5. After finally getting satellites I found where Alexander the Great was hiding. It was a giant continent about twice the size of Australia way up in the North. A completely isolated nation from the world's problems. It was the first time I played a game where he didn't declare war on me. :-)