• ...
6
 4
 862

Attack of the Killer Cat

"Hey Fluttershy!" Rainbow called as she walked into the animal shelter. "You here?"

The hissing and meowing of a cat could be heard from the kennels. Fluttershy herself could only just be heard over the noise as she tried to reason with the aggressive feline.

The bell above the door jingled as Sunset walked in.

"Oh, hey Dash, here to see Fluttershy too?" Sunset asked.

"Yeah, I wanted to know if she wanted a flyer to put on the shelter's notice board," Rainbow replied. "Also Miss Prose volunteered to help us set up on the day ."

"I wonder if she'd be willing to help with the opening act, we still-"

Sunset was cut off as a pain filled scream came from the back.

"Fluttershy!" both girls exclaimed and raced through the door that lead to the kennels. Rainbow burst in to find her pink haired friend trying to pry a black cat from her arm, the creature had latched onto her jumper and was trying to pull it's top jaw out of the thick sleeve.

"Hey leave her alone!" Rainbow growled and a grab for the animal, only for it free itself from Fluttershy's arm, hiss angrily at the newcomers and bolt for an open window.

"Are you alright?" Dash asked the trembling Fluttershy, who was holding back tears and let out a sniff or two.

"We should get her to a doctor, that cat could've had rabies or something" Sunset suggested.

Rainbow nodded and led Fluttershy out towards the main entrance. "I'll call Applejack and see if Big Mac can take us to the clinic."


"Fluttershy got what? I'll get Mac to ya right away, Hey Big Mac! Dash says Fluttershy got hurt. Can you take 'em to the doctors?" Applejack called out from the living room. "They're waiting for you at the animal shelter."

The familiar "Eeyup" echoed from the front lawn, shortly followed by the oldest Apple sibling starting up the family's pickup and heading out.

"Thanks a bunch AJ, I gotta go, catch you later." Rainbow replied hastily and hung up as Rarity walked onto the farm.

"Is something wrong Applejack?" Asked Rarity. "Your brother left in quite a hurry."

"Oh, uh, howdy Rarity," Applejack replied absentmindedly. "Fluttershy had a run-in with a critter at the shelter and got bitten, Mac's taking her to the clinic to get looked at."

"Goodness, that is simply horrible!" Rarity exclaimed. "The poor dear must be terrified."

"Yeah, but she has Rainbow with her so she's got some support and Sunset's taking over her workload for the day," Applejack explained calmly. "We get our work done now an' go check up on her after, as long as one of us is there to support Fluttershy, she'll be fine."

"Yes, I suppose you're right, Fluttershy is looking forward to the concert and she'd be devastated if it was cancelled for some reason." Rarity agreed.

"Alright, you want to help making the food for the animals 'Shy going to offer for adoption during the concert?" Applejack asked.

"Of course darling, I even brought a few recipe's with me, Opal such a fussy eater that I find it easier to make her treats myself," Rarity said. "I made sure to bring enough ingredients for a few batches."


"Thanks for helping out Rares." Applejack said as the pair got to work in the Apple family's surprisingly spacious kitchen.

"My part in this was simply the wardrobe, once that was finished I felt like I simply hadn't 'pulled my weight' so to speak," Rarity admitted. "After all, Rainbow was running messages from one group to another, Sunset had almost exhausted herself booking the venue and organising seats and not to mention your own hard work as well."

"You shouldn't be so modest Rarity," Applejack stated as she measured spoonfuls of cat biscuit dough onto a oven tray. "I've seen the long hours you've put into making any kinds of clothing, things don't have to tire you out physically to be considered hard work."

Rarity pulled a freshly cooked tray of treats from the oven. "If only everyone shared your optimism Applejack, now where should I put these to cool?"

"There's a wire rack by the window." AJ replied .


Applejack and Rarity were working as a pair to do the dishes when a crash from the other side of the kitchen startled them. They turned to see a black cat helping itself to the cooling treats, an empty tray on the floor from nearby.

Applejack took off her rubber gloves, stomped towards the feline and grabbed it by the scruff of its neck. It yowled and twisted violently, which forced her to drop it. The cat sunk it claws into Applejack's leg and was about to bite her when a broom smacked the animal in the face.

"Get away you foul creature, shoo!" Rarity demanded as she swatted the beast. In response it lunged at her, only to miss and skid into a table leg. The feline bolted from the house before anyone could stop it.

"Applejack are you alright?" Rarity asked as she put the broom down and her friend carefully moved to sit down in a nearby chair.

"I'll live," Applejack reassured her and inspected the claw marks on her leg. "The first-aid kit is in the bathroom, could you grab it? That varmint sure had tight grip."

"Now if you could put some of that antiseptic-"

"I know how to treat a cat scratch darling," Rarity stated curtly to Applejack's instructions. "Opal was a bit rough with Sweetie Belle and I when we first got her, now shush a let me treat the wound."

"Wound? It's just a scratch it'll be-- ow!' Applejack winced as her friend dabbed a cotton bud onto the claw marks.

"That beast was going to more than just scratch you, now hush, I don't want to risk you getting an infection." Rarity stated.

"It won't-" Applejack retorted.

"Now what did I just say?" Rarity asked.

Applejack sighed and let the other girl look after her injured leg.

"There. Was that so hard?" Rarity rhetorically asked once she finished.

"You didn't need ta baby me Rares, I can take care of myself." Applejack replied.

"I saw one of friends bleeding onto the kitchen floor-"

"It wasn't that bad." Applejack countered.

"It could have been!" Rarity argued back. "You were hurt. I was worried, I had to do something!"

Applejack was dumbfounded.

"I'm sorry for making you worry, I would do the same thing in your situation come to think of it," Applejack said after a moment. "Then I'd boot the critter all the way to the moon."

Rarity giggled. "I can imagine."

The doorbell rang, Applejack made to get to answer, only for Rarity to push her back down.

"You be a dear and rest, I'll get the door."


"Jeez, what happened to you?" Miss Prose asked as she walked in, an ink blue satchel slung over her left shoulder. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, now what brings you here Miss Prose?" Applejack replied warmly.

"Got a call from Rainbow, Fluttershy is doing fine and the concert's still on," the teacher explained. "Sunset said you guys had trouble picking something for an opening act, so I offered a couple of old songs I learnt a few years back."

Prose pulled out two two sets of sheet music. "I wanted an opinion on which song to play, I can play acoustic guitar so the more 'cheery' option I won't need help with, but the other is a slightly more serious song that requires a bass and piano keyboard, do you think you'd be able to learn it in time?"

"It doesn't look too complicated," Rarity mused. "But are you sure a somber song would work?"

"Rainbow suggested something a bit less bouncy would make the audience more pumped for the main event," Miss Prose replied with a shrug. "Either way I'll be on vocals, doesn't matter to me."

Author's Note:

A message from Dragonfire2lm

This iteration of the Equestria Girls universe, and the version of Equestria connected to it, have an emphasis on musical numbers having some kind of meaning, either to introduce or clarify a character's motive or viewpoint of events. Or they act as a tool to the further the narrative by foreshadowing events or to present a story arc, or scene in a way that is entertaining, yet still tells the story. Music and lyrics are usually an interesting way to convey intense emotion and while such a tool won't be implemented in Hot Times at Canterlot High , I will be writing musical numbers here in Extra Credit, albeit rarely, should I feel like one would fit in.

I have asked the moderators about this and as long as the lyrics are not copyrighted, I am free to use them. Bear in mind I will be doing parodies for the most part and anyone is free to send me songs or poems they've written to include if they wish, but the musical numbers won't be frequent and the concert frequently referenced will not be filled with them, with only one at best to show more of Miss Prose's character.