• Published 17th Aug 2012
  • 480 Views, 2 Comments

The Frail, And The Wretched - Phantomilian



Young mare fights with her twisted past and mental afflictions.

  • ...
 2
 480

Chapter Two: Semblance

"Breeze, this is Solemn Waters. He's an old friend of mine from way back" I looked into his eyes. Something behind those eyes were staring back at me in a way that almost made me feel... ill. You couldn't see it directly though. I was hoping that it was just in my head. I had accepted the fact that I was mentally ill by now, and knew that things weren't always what they seemed. However, I couldn't shake the feeling that shot down my spine while looking at this colt. I wanted to properly greet him, but could only stare quietly.

"Heh, well nice to meet you Ms. Breeze! Your father tells me you need somepony to watch over ya for a while until he gets his finances straightened out. I just moved into the area, and thought I would give an old friend a hoof. Put 'er there kid!" he reached his hoof out, but I didn't want to shake it. However, I also knew that my feelings could be misguided about him. I didn't want to let my mind control me so much, so I forced myself to grasp his appendage.

I think he could tell I was apprehensive of him. "Sorry if I seem a little rough around the edges, kid. Years of service in the Equestrian Navy and months at a time spent on a battleship with a bunch of crazy-ponies tends to have that effect on a colt. I assure you though, I'm not as bad as I look" He chuckled, and my father joined him.

"We met years ago. I was out far from the coast of Manehattan, and the weather was getting bad. At the time, he was serving on a navy ship as a radar analyst. He spotted my ship on the radar" My father told me, then Solemn stepped in "My captain thought it could be a battle ship and that we should try and steer away. I showed him how small the reading was and that it was probably a ship in distress. The capt finally budged, and we probably ended up saving this nutty colt's life haha"

"He's just here to watch over you. I know you are getting older, and you are becoming a young mare now. I know you are smart, and can take care of yourself for the most part. I just want someone around in case you get hurt or something, okay?" I looked at my father and saw his sincerity, and agreed. "Just look at it this way kid, at least you don't have to walk back from school anymore. It's pretty far from here right?" I couldn't help but feel a little indignant, "My name is Sea Breeze...and I'm okay with the bus. Thanks"

"Well, I'll be here for tonight honey. I'll also be here all day tomorrow! I thought that since I would be gone for a few weeks, and that I have a friend who can watch over you, that we should spend some father-daughter time together. So don't worry about it for now" My head sank to the floor. I was happy that we had a little time to spend together, but really it was just delaying his long departure, and my stay with this unknown colt. "Sure, Dad"

The next day was a day I will never forget. Thinking about it now is...hard to say the least. I can barely do it without crying. He woke me up first thing in the morning, I remember being so unwilling and tired at first, but happy we could spend some time together. We went to an old ice-cream shop in town first. It had been years since I'd been there. We just talked about our lives and how they'd been going. It was the first time in a long time we were able to actually go in depth about our lives.. After, he took me to a little jewelry store up north. I knew he didn't have a lot of money, and I didn't want him spending so much...but I knew it made him happy.

There was one gem in particular that I liked. It was a brilliant sapphire, cut almost like a diamond. It sat in a simple silver housing, on a thin silver chain. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't very expensive. He was so happy when he got me that necklace. Honestly, I was happy too. It was really pretty after all. I still have it even now...

I guess time flies when you are catching up. It's kind of odd you know, catching up with somepony you'd see every so often. It feels like we shouldn't have much to catch up on, but he was gone so often that we'd lost touch with each other. It was becoming sundown now, and my father wanted to take me to the beach. Yes, that same beach from years ago. It was a beautiful beach really, despite the memory attached to it. We both found a nice spot, sat in the sand, and just stared off at the sea for a while. Finally, he spoke.

"I'll be going out tomorrow...I'll be pretty far away too."

"Yeah..."

"There are these super exotic fish called "Creolica", and they are selling for a lot all over Equestria. If I could catch enough of them...we wouldn't have it so rough right now.."

"I understand. I don't know if I want to be around that guy though...something about him bothers me"

"Well, he has seen a lot of horrible things, Breeze. But, he is a really good pony at heart. You'll be okay. You have to open up a little, you know? Our lives haven't been easy these past few years...but we gotta push on."

"I sighed, and finally said "I trust you Dad."

"I love you, Sea Breeze"

"I love you too, Dad."

"Just remember. We'll always have each other"

I love you Dad, I still do. And I forgive you.

The next morning, my father came to my room and told me goodbye. He told me that he loved me, and he would be home soon. Unfortunately, me and my father both liked to sleep in as much as possible, so we didn't have a very long good bye. He had to leave soon, so we just had time for a hug. I remember our last day still more than our last moment.

"Solemn will be here in a few hours. He's just gonna be around to keep an eye on things"

"Sure, no problem dad"

And just like that, he was gone. The door creaked, and shut. Silence fell over the home. I felt a mixture of emotions. I was distraught because it would be so long before I'd see my father again, and I was unsure about the colt who was going to be watching over me. Eventually, I managed to put my concerns away. I figured that my father knew what was best.

It was about an hour before he showed up, that my old 'friend' Horizon decided to drop in.

"Heh, what's skakin' Breezy?"

"I don't know how I feel about this colt..."

"Eh, well if your dad thinks he's cool, I'm sure he'll be alright."

We talked for a while, and just hung out, like we normally do. Eventually, we heard the knock at the door. I took a deep breath, and trotted downstairs with Horizon following. I opened the door, and there he stood. It was almost difficult to distinguish his gray coat from the rocks behind him, but there he stood. He looked exhausted, it was getting towards the end of summer by now, and it was blazing hot. The long trot over must have worn him out.

He greeted me, kindly as a matter of fact, then proceeded to pass out on the living room couch. Turns out things went well for me that day, except for one thing. Shortly after Solemn had fell asleep, I turned to face the stairs and trot back up to my room. I remember taking the first step, then hearing a voice come from behind me "I don't like him..." It was Horizon, and apparently he had similar feelings towards Solemn. Although, I noticed a sort of...seriousness in his voice that I'd never heard before. I assumed it was just him sharing my feelings...

The next few weeks went by...great actually. He would tell battle stories all the time, that I have to admit, were interesting. He'd give me a ride all the way to school, and back. He kept the food up, and would even take me out to eat sometimes. He had a little bit more money than I expected. I guess Navy retirement is pretty good.

It was a month now. No word from my father. Something was wrong, but I didn't know what. He was only supposed to be gone for 2-3 weeks. I assumed he just got caught up somewhere, but now, it was getting too late. I didn't know what to think, I still felt like he just got stuck somewhere, or maybe he found a really good area to fish and he was just stocking up as much as possible. It wasn't until later on that the truth became...real to me.

It was late at night, the moon was full. It was one of those nights. However, in this night I would not find peace. I was worried about my father, and hadn't come out of my room all day. I guess Solemn must have gathered that something was wrong with me and that it had to do with my father. I heard a knock at my door. I didn't really want to answer it, but I found myself not wanting to be rude. I trotted over, and opened the door. He wore a worried look on his face, came in, and sat down on my bed.

"I know you're worried about Ocean...uh, your Dad. Listen, I used to know Ocean, way way back. I never thought he
would be the type of guy to go for a wife and family. I was surprised when I ran into him a while ago."

I couldn't tell where he was going with this at the time, so I just listened quietly...

"I wouldn't be surprised if he...just had enough you know?"

"What? Are you saying he left on purpose?!"

"I'm just saying, he could have gone anywhere. He's not a bad lookin' colt, and he's got one hell of a boa-"

"Get out."

"Look, don't be mad at me because your father decided to desert you."

"GET OUT"

I stood up to leave. He wasn't going to move, so I decided I would just leave. I tried to walk away, but as soon as I took my first step, he grabbed me and threw me back down. I tried to yell, but he covered my mouth and pinned me down. The last thing I can remember is him...climbing on top of me. For all of the memories that should have been blocked out, I'm thankful this was one of the few that were.

"If you tell anyone, or try to run, or try to scream. Your father is dead the second he steps in the door. Understood?"

The abuse continued...off and on for the next couple of weeks. I was falling apart at the seems. I was too afraid to run, or tell anyone. I just...stayed. I was too afraid to even fight back. How could I? I was never very strong, and I couldn't even use magic. It got to the point where he would just leave for hours...then return. The nights where he would pass out on the couch were the only ones where I caught peace. I remember one night, just staring out the window. Horizon had made his first appearance in ages. Something was wrong with him though...his appearance was darker. His coat resembled that of a stormy sunset. It was a combination of browns and blues.

"He's hurting you...we have to do something."

"I...I just...can't...I don't know"

"Don't worry...we'll think of something." He put his hoof around me and said, "Just remember, we'll always have each other"

It had been a few days, and Solemn was nowhere to be found. He never told me where he went or anything, and of course I didn't care. I was just happy he was gone. After having peace around the house for a while, I worked up the courage to leave my room. I felt like a ghost, trotting down those stairs. It had been nearly three days since I had left my room. I walked into the kitchen, and immediately made myself something to eat. I could barely put anything down, despite not eating for several days. To this moment...I still cannot describe how I felt.

I walked around for a bit, trying to get my barrings, and stretch out my legs. Horizon was following me around...he was even darker now than before. I can't even remember when he showed up. He just sort of appeared after I arrived downstairs. He motioned me over to my left. It was Solemn's room. A spike of fear shot down my spine, and I took a few steps back.

"We should go in. Maybe we'll understand this freak better if we have a look into his life. At least, we could find some weapons or something"

"W-weapons?"

"Nevermind...it just makes me mad that he is hurting you. I still think we should go in."

I don't know how, but he talked me into it.

We both walked in, and as you would expect, it looked like a retired Navy-colt's room. There were navy badges, old cloths, and scattered change around his night stand. It looked like the room of an old colt, really. I was so scared being in there, but I guess having Horizon with me made things better. I trotted, lightly, over to his night stand. I noticed the corner of a small envelope buried underneath some loose forms and documents. I caught that it was addressed to this house. After pulling it out, I noticed the noticed the title.

"Manehattan Coastal Patrol"

It was letter, and it was dated a few weeks ago. I didn't even care about the fact that it wasn't mine at this point. It was addressed here and my father was out off the coast of Manehattan. I opened it up, and began to read...

To the attention of Ms. Breeze and Ms. Wing. We regret to inform you that Ocean Tide's ship was recently found along the Trotting Waters beach. We were able to locate his remains, and...

I couldn't read the rest. After all...I didn't really need to. Time had come to a stop. Everything around me had stopped. The last few weeks of my life flashed before my eyes; then my entire life. It hurt so much, that I couldn't even cry. I just felt a severe pressure around my eyes. I turned around, note in hand, and slowly trotted upstairs.

"Breeze...he's been lying to you. All this time, all this time your father has been gone. He's been scaring you and manipulating you. We have to do something."

There was silence. I could not speak. I could barely even hear the sound of his voice. I was somewhere else. This is the closest one could come to living death. The only thing besides his voice that came through was the sound of the front door creaking open.

I heard him walk around...towards the direction of his room. Perhaps a bit of stumbling even. All I heard next was "What the fuck, did you go in my room?!"

I heard him come for the stairs...

"Run..." Horizon told me

"Down the hall...we aren't safe here"

He was completely black now...his eyes were even changing color. He was the only thing protecting me though...so I listened to him. I ran down the hall as fast as I could, and at the end was a turn that would take you to a single window. Right below it, was the 1st floor balcony. It was a ways down, but nothing fatal, I would come to prove.

I heard him reach the top of the stairs, and head for the hallway. He began down the hall, towards my direction. I felt frozen...I couldn't move. I could barely push breaths through my pounding chest. I could feel myself slipping in and out of the situation.

"Did you go in my room you little bitch?! I suppose you found that letter huh? Well, now that Daddy is gone, you're gonna have to listen to me, and I'm telling you to come here!"

"Don't listen to him. You have nothing to lose. Jump."

I looked out the window, and stared at the balcony below. I looked back at the hall, and heard the steps drawing closer. I scrambled to open the window. I don't know how, but I managed to open it, and climb out. As I was hanging, he had just come around the corner, to see my hooves at the sill. He tried to run over fast enough to catch me, but the sound of his hoof steps convinced me to let go.

There was a loud thud, and a crack. It wasn't the sound of wood breaking, it was the sound of bone. I had broken my left hind leg. I couldn't even feel the pain, I was too far into shock. It wasn't until I tried to stand, that a sharp pain forced me back down. I kept trying to stand up, but I would fall every time in pain. Finally, I managed to balance myself with the three functioning legs I had.

I must not have heard him coming, but when I made my way over to the double doors, I could see him coming downstairs. Horizon appeared on the other side of the glass. His eyes were lowered...he was beyond serious. He commanded me...

"This way. Run"

I threw open the door and fled. I followed Horizon through the kitchen, and into the garage. The entrance was locked, and it was a dead end. There was a small lock on the door I had come through, but I knew it wouldn't be enough to keep him out forever. I could hear him drawing closer...he wasn't even running. He knew I was trapped...

"I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish with that stunt, kid. I hope you realize that I'm very angry, and have had just about enough!"

"Breeze...you see that tool over there?"

I looked over to my right, and on the desk sat an old ice-pick. It was rusted, long, and sharp.

"Pick it up"

I didn't even have the frame of mind to disagree. I was overwhelmed by Horizons presence. It felt like I was drifting further and further away, and he was filling in the gaps. I quickly hobbled over, and picked up the dirty corroded tool. I held it in my hoof, and faced the door. Horizon stood in front of me. He looked deep into my eyes and said to me...

"We'll always have each other..."

Suddenly, fire spreading around the edges of the room came into vision. It felt like the earth was quaking beneath my hooves. Horizon was now...twisted in shape. His mane was flowing black, and what looked like shadows were emanating from him. I felt like my heart had stopped. I was so helpless...if only I could have locked the door. Maybe if I could have used magic, I could have sealed it. I thought so hard "lock...Lock...LOCK" but, I couldn't do it. Finally, it was the sound of the door breaking open that broke me from my petrification.

"What the hell is that? Put that down kid, before I take it fro-"

I had done it. I didn't even think about it. The room had started spinning at the sound of the door coming open, and I just found myself here. I had stabbed him, directly in the chest. A warm sensation started creeping down my hoof from the hilt. I pulled away, and he fell to the ground like a doll. The flames had stopped, and Horizon was gone. The earth grew still while the air fell to a calm state again. I fell to my knees, and stared at the floor. There on the floor, were four little beams of moonlight passing through the bars on the window and falling to the floor. It's so easy to get lost in the aether of this place. All I could do was stare...

So I stared

and stared

and stared...