• Published 28th Dec 2017
  • 4,473 Views, 83 Comments

Zero Fate - GreyNimbus



There's no such thing as fate. Only possibilities. So where do I stand?

  • ...
14
 83
 4,473

14 — Starlight's Assistant

Author's Note:

Sorry I haven't updated this story in so long. I've had constant threats of writer's block and it kept slowing me down. But I finally knew how I wanted to write this chapter, so you can expect the next chapter to come out much sooner than this one.

I hope you enjoy!

Starlight seemed reluctant to answer my sudden question.

I didn't want to ask her the impossible, but my mature habits are starting to kick in. Ever since I arrived in Equestria, it's been one thing after another for me. Beneficially, of course.

Frankly, I'm not one who takes things for granted.

"You mean you want a job?" she asked.

"Well, I imagine that nobody here would hire an 8-year-old alien. I was actually thinking of doing some chores or errands around the castle in exchange for pocket money."

Starlight seemed almost instantly relieved as I lowered the magnitude of my answer. There was even a very small spark in her eyes that gave away the genuine joy she felt at my consideration.

"Well, I'm sure if we spoke to Twilight about it, I'll bet she'd be willing to find a few things to keep you busy."

"Great! Let's ask her when we get home." I said, excited.

Despite my best efforts, I found myself giggling in excitement against my will, sending a genuine smile to Starlight's muzzle.

"You really are an interesting one, Zero." Starlight said, catching me off guard.

My giggling quickly turned into a laugh at Starlight's plight, but I didn't want to embarrass her, no matter how true it may be.

Geez, I wonder why(!)


After finally making it back to the castle, I spared no time at all as I hopped around Starlight like a dog begging for a treat. I don't care if others see me as nothing more than a defenseless urchin, I want to be independent as soon as possible before the guilt of being spoiled sinks in. Bad move on my part, though. My legs were still in a painful state, but I was too excited to worry about the pain.

Either way, once I start discussing things with Twilight, I'll have everything I need.

Starlight still seemed to feel somewhat awkward to my demand. One thing I have noticed in my slim time with her is that this mare is exceptionally easy to read. She seemed to wear every emotion and thought proudly on her face, even if she didn't fully intend to.

"Alright, sweetheart, I'll go and find Twilight and ask her to take some time for you. Why don't you wait in the library and find yourself something to read while you wait?" She suggested.

"I guess I can kill some time with a bit of browsing. Alright, I'll see you there. And no need to rush on my part. You can take your time." I reassured her.

"That's my colt." She said before pulling me close to her and kissing my forehead. After that, she wandered down one of the corridors, in search of her teacher.

I was able to find the library with ease since I've been there once before. Once I was there, it seemed to be unoccupied for the moment.

Despite me being the only one here, the fireplace was freshly lit up and warming the room. I didn't really understand why someone would start a fire when it's not even that cold. It seems like a waste of firewood to me.

My pointless curiosity aside, I began to search for something to read, starting at the nearest shelf. After skimming through a few titles on the spines, it seemed like you couldn't find anything here. Either these books haven't been re-shelved in a long time, or Twilight has a really messed up system. I found a book on birds next to a maternity guide. I mean, what the hell!?

Do these ponies not have Dewey Decimal here? These shelves aren't even labeled! I've seen better organizing in my niece's bedroom. And she's only 3!

Giving up on finding any decent reading material, I retired to the couch by the fireplace, which was still lit up.

I decided to entertain myself with a little browsing on my phone. After pulling it out of my pocket, I turned the screen on. The status bar at the top of the screen showed that the battery was still at 100%, but there is no available phone service.

Well, I guess the Internet is long gone. Farewell, my eternal friend.

I was immediately reminded of the last time Mum called me. That conversation didn't end well. It would've inevitably ended that way whether I gave her an explanation or not. Now that I can no longer speak to her again, I realize just how much I already miss her. And the rest of my family.

I'll bet they're worried sick about me. I wish there was some way to tell them that I'm alright.

Not to mention the guys at work might be suffering from my disappearance. Right now, they're either searching for me or looking for my replacement. Working at a coffee warehouse was the best job I ever had and now... it seems I'll have to cut my losses and look for more work.

After lamenting my now abandoned life, I went to my Music app and hit the 'Shuffle' button.

Aaahhh... that's better.


After waiting patiently for a few minutes while listening to my tunes on loop (it's a habit), Starlight finally showed up with Twilight and Spike in tow. Twilight looks at me and asks "Sorry for the wait, Zero. Did you find anything good to read?"

A question about a book from the smartest pony I know. Surprise, surprise.

"Not really. I could barely find anything with the disorganization on the shelves. I gave up looking and decided to just listen to some music." I answered brutally and honestly.

"I told you we should've stuck with the old system, Twilight. The poor little guy couldn't find anything." Spike complained.

Unbeknownst to him, I glared at Spike with annoyance. Did he seriously just call me little? I'm the same height as an average mare. "We aren't here to discuss books, you guys. We're here to listen to Zero Fate's request." Starlight intervened.

I paused my music and put my phone back in my pocket. Everyone else took their seats. Starlight sat next to me while Twilight and Spike sat on the couch opposite to us.

"So, Zero...", I turned to Twilight.

"Starlight tells me you're looking for a job. Am I right?", I nodded, "Can you explain to us why?"

I smirked and wondered.

"Does a kid like me even want a job? Do I have to rely on my own money? This is just the adult in me talking, but I think money is important. I know you guys have already given me more than I could ask for and for that I am always grateful."

Spike immediately added,

"It's true that money is important, but you still have your whole life ahead of you. Which reminds me, how long do humans usually live for?"

"Between 80 to 100 years."

"You see? You're barely at a tenth of your life and you're already looking for a job. Why do you want to throw away your dependence so soon?"

I lean back on the couch and stare at the ceiling as I ask the princess and dragon,

"Do you know why birds fly?"

Twilight followed Spike's stare as they looked up to the ceiling too. But Starlight knew where I was going with this.

"I guess... If they didn't, they wouldn't be birds at all?" Twilight abruptly answered.

"Isn't it so they can survive in the wild?" Spike asked.

Starlight sensed that a part of Zero's more mature side was blossoming around him like nothing could take that spirit away.

She placed a hoof on my shoulder and gave her own answer.

"I think birds fly because they have wings and they want to know what those wings can do."

"To Starlight's point, I just want to do something. Anything. How can I be a benefit to you guys?"

My three caretakers exchanged glances as they thought hard about what they can do to keep me occupied. Admittedly, I'm still not accustomed to the lifestyle of Equestria, so finding me a job that suits me just became harder for us all. I frowned as my impatience was beginning to put pressure on the others.

They were still pondering while I was twiddling my thumbs with guilt. Maybe Spike was right. Maybe I was being too hasty. Before I could take back my request, Twilight's face lit up and proposed. "I know! How would you like to work as Starlight's assistant?"

That proposal caught Starlight and me off guard.

"Her assistant?"
"My assistant?"

We both said in unison. Spike got a giggle out of that.

Twilight gave a confirming nod. "Mmm-hmm! Back when I was still Princess Celestia's student, Spike was always there with me when I needed help with my studying. I think an assistant would be the perfect role for Zero. You two already seem to treat each other like family, just like me and Spike. This way, you don't have to be apart from each other, and Starlight will have somepony to help her with her friendship studies. What do you think?"

I couldn't have smiled wider if I tried as Starlight took the opportunity to pull me into a rib-crushing hug. "Yes yes YES! Thank you, Twilight!"

Starlight's embrace didn't seem to phase me as I was so happy that I was just staring off into space for a few seconds. I was brought back to reality as Starlight's bangs tickled my nose delicately, causing me to sneeze and scratch my nose. I startled her, making her release her grip around me.

"Heheh, sorry 'bout that. I'm very ticklish.", I laugh timidly before giving my own thanks. "Thank you for the idea, Twilight. I'm ashamed I didn't think of it myself. But nothing would fulfill me more than being Starlight's assistant."

Twilight smiles.

"Fantastic! Since it's not really an official job position, I'm willing to pay you for your assistance to Starlight. I'll give you a weekly allowance of 40 bits starting today."

Bits? I assume that's what they call Equestria's currency. I've never seen any examples of 'Bits' yet, but I hope they're easy to carry around. After all, ponies must have some way of carrying them around without pockets.

As if she were reading my mind, Twilight's horn glowed and conjured up a small stack of shiny gold coins on the coffee table. "Here's 10 Bits. Consider it as a signing bonus and a gift from me.", she says as she gestures me to collect the coins.

I took my time as I picked up each Bit individually and inspect their elaborate heft. These coins were about the size of plastic bottle caps and were as heavy as AA batteries. Well, I'm sure just 10 Bits is enough to spend on some fun. I'll just have to know where to spend them.

After gathering Twilight's gift, I poured them into my pocket opposite to the one that contained my phone so it doesn't get scratched.

"Thank you kindly, Twilight." I said.

"Yeah, thanks for giving him this opportunity. I think I'm really gonna enjoy having an assistant." Starlight said.

"No problem, you two. Now, I'd love to stay and chat more, but I need to get back to studying Zero's phone. You can spend those Bits on whatever you like. Just don't spend it all at once." Twilight says as she gets out of her seat and walks to the library door with Spike following suit.

The two exit the room, leaving Starlight and me alone. For a few moments, the only sound that could be heard was my nasal breathing. I look up at Starlight, who was looking back at me with a grin. I can tell we both had the same thing on our minds. I broke the silence.

"Well... could today possibly get any better?"

Briefly examining Starlight, she appears to be mustering all of her willpower, trying not to crush my ribs again in an over-the-top bear hug. But, alas...

She couldn't resist the siren call any longer. With a quick flurry of purple, she pulls me into her chest like a black hole and traps me in place with her forelegs. My face is buried in the fur of her neck, reducing my speech to muffles. Knowing this was going to happen, I preemptively suck in my gut, making this show of affection more enduring.

"Today will be the start of a more than beautiful friendship." She squeals quietly.

"Mmh! Hmn... Mfmh!" The ominous nature of Starlight's hug prevents me to agree with her.

"Oh!", finally noticing my discomfort, she gently let's go, allowing me to gasp for air. "So sorry about that, sweetie. I'm just so happy!"

Exhaling my last breath of fresh air, I reassured her. "Don't sweat it, Starlight. I was about to do the same, but you beat me to the punch." I said before giving a nervous chuckle.

Starlight laughs along with me.

After having run out of steam, I carefully get down from the sofa. Starlight assists me halfway to the floor. "Easy there, speedy. You maybe have just been made my assistant today, but until your legs fully recover, I'll be your assistant.", she gently scolds me.

I blush, embarrassed that I forgot about my still barely-aching legs.

"Now..." Starlight lifts me once again with her magic and places me on her back. "It's still broad daylight, but how about we go back to your room and show me what you can do with your phone?"

I felt like I knew Starlight enough now to know that I can give her an answer without words. So I lean towards her head and wrap my arms around her neck, all before letting out a big relieved sigh. "Hmm..."

"I'll take that as a yes, then." Starlight then trots out of the library, carrying my adolescent body on the verge of falling asleep in the soft fur of my new guardian.

"Let's go, my number one assistant!"