• Published 30th Apr 2016
  • 1,058 Views, 10 Comments

A Locked Jewel - JesterintheNight



Prisoner 621, a human criminal whose crime...creating a bioweapon that earned him a one way ticket to 'Lost Hope'. But when his execution is rush ordered, he escapes ending up in the care of a certain fashionista.

  • ...
14
 10
 1,058

Chapter 7: A Time to Reflect

A Locked Jewel
Chapter 7: A Time to Reflect

A few weeks had passed since Jasper was forced into the hospital, in that time he was attacked by a pink ball of energy. Turning his whole room into a welcome party though thankfully Rarity and her friends convinced Pinkie Pie to make it a party only for him, the girls, and a little group known as the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Though Sweetie Belle was kind enough to ask Jasper’s permission first if they could meet them, which he didn’t see the harm in it.

Though he quickly regretted it when a yellow Earth pony with reddish mane and an orange coat Pegasus filly with purplish mane tried to play nurse with him. He strangely didn’t remember much of it, though his head did hurt quite a bit. And the Crusaders looked a little ashamed though wouldn’t tell him what happened.

They did take a liking to him quickly like Sweetie Belle did, the Pegasus which Jasper learned her name later was named Scootaloo. And by some twist of fate was the same filly he ‘borrowed’ the scooter he used to save Sweetie Belle with… and now owed her a new one.

Rarity had offered to pay for a new one, which Scootaloo was more than eager to take but Jasper insisted on paying for it himself. And the other Crusader was a little filly named Applebloom, Applejack’s little sister. Applebloom took to Jasper much faster than anyone, eager to hear about him. Which he told her stories of strange two legged creatures, history of wars fought over land and honor, and stories of his own childhood. Scootaloo never cared too much for them only seeming interest in talking about cutie marks and how awesome Rainbow Dash is.

Rarity and Jasper had a simple relationship since their kiss, a small peck here and there. Mostly they’d smile to each other, chat a little, she was normally busy with orders, or making him some clothing. Deciding the rags the hospital had weren’t good enough for a Prince, so she’d make him a robe to fit his needs. Though it was a new robe every few days since they’d get dirty, he was sure she was making them because she loved to seem him dressed in her works.

More so since she declared he was now her special somepony, which Jasper had learned through his old studies was Equestrian for a boyfriend or girlfriend. He hadn’t called her his special somepony yet which didn’t seem to please her much. He did feel something for her, though he wasn’t sure if it was love. He felt confused around her, he didn’t dislike her kisses, touch, or her company. In fact, he enjoyed it all, enjoyed every moment he spent with her. It was just confusing, he wasn’t a stallion, or even a good man in his opinion.

He made his mistakes, he’d lose his temper sometimes, and felt like the weight of the world was on his shoulders. She deserved better then him, plus how would she felt if she knew the truth about him. About why the guards kept searching for him, why they messed up her shop, why they were looking through the Everfree Forest for him. Why he was dressed in rags when she found him, about the ponies he hurt to escape that cursed prison. And the biggest one… the lost virus that he created…

That aside his thoughts now moved to the window he was gazing out, since his accident his left eye had made a full recovery in a week. Which stumped the doctor, the only doctor that knew he was in the hospital thankfully. And one nurse, before he had awoken to fight the Elements of Harmony and convince them of his ‘innocence’. Twilight had already set up a private doctor to help fix Jasper up, and one nurse assisted. She made sure that Jasper’s recovery was kept off the books, which the doctor agreed just honored to work on royalty and a challenge given that Jasper was the only human in all of Equestria. Jasper had thanked Twilight for her genius at keeping him off the records, which made her blush for being complimented, though speaking of Twilight Sparkle.

She had made him glasses since they met, it took a few days after the Pinkie promise. But she had them ready, magically enchanted to adjust to his vision, and much stronger than a normal pair of glasses. Which she proudly showed off by throwing them across the room into the wall, all without getting a scratch. He had the feeling she was hoping that when he rejoined Celestia’s side, he’d speak highly of her. Which…

“I don’t think I can do that…” Jasper said in a hushed tone, adjusting the glasses on his face with his right hand. His other hadn’t fully healed just yet, though the rest of his body minus his ribs and left hand were good to go. Blasted ribs were taking forever, and the one rib that stabbed into his lung would take the longest to heal. Even with magic, sighing lightly his good hand moved to the golden ring on his lap. The same ring he escaped the prison with, his original plan was to sell it for money for his supplies back to the castle. But now…

“I’m questioning what you can do.” He thought, picking the ring up he looked it over. The ancient runes on it were interesting, the purpose of the rings in the prison were to allow the use of magic. Since the prison had magic suppression runes in the walls, the rings were the only way to bypass them. Forged to allow magic but also created to prevent tampering, Twilight had agreed with him on his thoughts. When she had seen the runes and her eyes lit up with a desire to research them, though he wasn’t willing to part with it just yet. Something was bugging him about it, during the chase to save Sweetie Belle a blast of magic hit him in the back allowing him to reach her.

Though originally he believed Rarity blasted him to give him the extra boost, which he learned Rarity’s magic wasn’t strong enough to give him such a boost. His belief quickly moved to Twilight but like Rarity denied it saying she wasn’t even around the area when he saved Sweetie Belle. He knew it was magic that sent him flying, but if Rarity wasn’t powerful enough. And Twilight wasn’t even around, then where did it come from?

“Couldn’t have been Sweetie Belle, she’s too small.” He said to himself as he turned the Unicorn horn sized ring over in his hand. Too large to fight his finger, and too small to fit as a bracelet. It was about an inch and a half in all directions of the circular ring, the band was half an inch of gold. Would be worth quite the fortune to the right buyer, and scholars like Twilight would love to study the ancient band.

Which brought him to another theory of the ring, a theory he needed Twilight to look up for him. Which was what his mission for today was, Twilight was supposed to come over around noon for it. It was around Eleven-Thirty right now, leaving him with thirty minutes to himself which he was grateful for. No confusing thoughts about Rarity, no entertaining little fillies, or worrying about the end of the world…

Okay that wasn’t true he couldn’t stop thinking of that whenever he had alone time, the end of Equestria. It was coming, he knew it and he’d be the one to help bring it about. Which meant he had to get to Cantorlot Castle soon, but with Rarity always making sure he was okay. And his blasted wounds he needed more time, funny in prison he had all the time in the world. In that four by four cell, dimly light room, foul odor, and silent halls he had nothing but time. Time to plan how to escape, which wouldn’t have been nearly as messy as the day he broke out. Busted Armorheart’s horn, and slipped out those metal gates he was running out of time.

Someone wanted him dead, and that someone was Emerald Comet. The one stallion who stood in his way, a stallion far more dangerous then Celestia herself. After all, if it came down to Celestia coming after Jasper, he knew how to handle her. Tarterus he knew she’d forgive him for what he did in a heartbeat, but he had to see this through till the end.

Shaking his bandage free head, he turned his sore body to the edge of the bed. Grasping the handle bar beside the bed he forced himself to his feet much to his bodies protest. He only moved to use the bathroom connected to his hospital room, mostly he sat in bed since it was doctor’s orders. Stretching to the right, then to the left he felt his joints cracking as the air popped them.

Moving to the bed beside his own where he had a small pile of clean clothes he went through them. Khaki, khaki, khaki… it took a moment of khakis to finally find a pair of jeans. The one thing Rarity hated to create was anything jean related, it took some sweet talking and a kiss or two to make her cave in. And next day he had a single pair of jeans, she then teased him saying it would take more than his sweet talking to earn some more.

Chuckling to himself at the memory, he undid the robe letting it fall to the ground. Carefully of his bad hand he slid his legs through the jeans, slipping them on with a bit of effort. It took a minute to fasten them given he couldn’t pull the button into the small hole with a single hand. But once he slipped it in he flexed his leg a bit to try stretching the jean material out, it was freshly washed after all. He was pretty thankful to AJ for that, she volunteered to help Rarity with his laundry since he was so kind to Applebloom.

After a few turns to adjust himself, he grabbed a white tee shirt. It had three diamonds right above the left breast, her calling card. With less effort then the pants he pushed his arms into the sleeves, with a few tugs on the bottom of the shirt he was comfortable. He turned himself to the bathroom to wash up a bit, with a bit a spring in his step now since his body was awake he moved to the bathroom.

Entering it he slipped the glasses off setting them on the counter beside the sink, turning on the cold water he waited a moment. Watching the sink fill up he dipped his good hand into the cold liquid, then a small splash given his hand couldn’t collect much water. Feeling the cold water on his face he smiled, he never liked the cold given the showers in prison were always ice cold. But now he somewhat enjoyed the cool feeling, guess he grew used to it after all that time.

Grasping a paper towel he dried his face looking at his blurry face in the mirror, he noticed something. Picking up his glasses he slipped them on looking once again at his reflection, his hair was darker… The once gray color was being replaced with his natural auburn hair, grasping the tips of his hair he looked at it.

“I… I forgot what color my hair was…” He said with a hint of sadness, auburn. That’s right his hair used to be a nice shade of auburn, he could faintly remember it. Celestia used to say it was quite dashing hair before smiling at him, she used to ruffle his hair for fun to annoy him. A small laugh escaped his lips as he watched his hair as if expecting it to turn darker, which was like watching paint dry. The gray was still much stronger than his natural color, but soon it might be all gone. Then only the scars of his time in prison will remain, things he could hide under his clothing…

“Prince Jasper?” A voice called out catching his attention, she was early. No surprise, glancing out the bathroom. There was Twilight bowing her head slightly at him, she was the only one of the Elements to not lose the civil act to him. Though given how highly she thinks of Celestia it wasn’t too much of a surprise, and that he had learned from her as well. Prince, student to Celestia, and one of her best friends boyfriend…

“She’ll never change.” He said aloud, Twilight’s ear perked up as she faced him fully. “Sir?” She added, mentally hitting himself for talking aloud he simply shook his head dismissing her for a moment. He then walked to the bed where he left his ring, picking it up he turned to her… Staring at him.

“Something wrong?” He asked, Twilight blushed a bit realizing she was staring at him. “N-Nothing sir! I-I just noticed your hair!” She said slightly flustered, Jasper raised his eyebrow for a moment. “Oh? Something wrong with it?” He said, raising one hoof she frantically shook it along with her head.

“N-No not at all sir! It’s just very… pretty.” She said relaxing for a moment, Jasper’s lips pulled at a sly smirk making the young Unicorn slightly nervous. “Oh? Is Celestia’s prized student checking out a Prince?” Twilight’s face grew redder in color as his words sunk it. “…no…” She said weakly, Jasper threw his hand to his hand to his forehead copying Rarity’s melodramatic pose with his eyes closed.

“Oh the scandal! How would Equestria react to the sister of Shinning Armor falling for me?” Her face turned as red as a tomato by now, which Jasper could of sworn her ears were now changing red. At this rate she’ll no longer be a purple Unicorn, continuing his teasing rant. “And how would Rarity feel?! Her best friend trying to steal her special somepony!?” Twilight’s voice reached her this time.

“I-I’m not trying to steal you from her!” She fought back, one of his eyes opened peeking at her. “Geez your so mean sometimes Jasper…” She said looking away, opening his other eye he laughed lightly. This wasn’t the first time he had teased her, mostly because she was the most nervous around him. But he had managed to make her slip up, turning back to him with a questioning look. “Got you, you finally said just Jasper.” He teased, Twilight’s eyes widen in realization before glaring at the ground.

“Stupid Princes…” She said, putting one hand to his ear he moved closer. “Say something?” He asked pretending to not hear her, Twilight shook her head. “No sir. Now did you ask me here to just tease me?” Pouting a bit, he gave her puppy dog eyes. Just like Rarity, he was spending too much time with her Twilight thought.

“Tease? Why would I do such a thing?” He said, rolling her purple eyes at him he dropped his acted and leaned against the bed. Twilight noticed the change quickly, he was now ready to be serious. Opening his hand which he kept closed the whole time he was picking on her, her eyes lit up a moment but stopped. He wouldn’t let her have it before so why now?..

“Judging by your response, you’re thinking. Why let me have this now?” He said, Twilight’s eyes widen a moment. He was smart, and clever despite being young still Twilight often questioned if his cunning personality was from Celestia she always seemed to know when something was up.

“Well I have a special request, you can’t have the ring. But I will let you borrow it for now, I need your help.” He said, looking at the ring now instead of him. Her eyes looked at the ancient runes that decorated the golden band. It would fit her horn perfectly, though she never touched it yet. She had a feeling her magic wouldn’t really work on it…

“This ring has the ability to allow magic usage for Unicorns, I found it in an old ruin. The runes that were embedded in the old walls of the ruins prevent magic usage, but whenever a Unicorn slips this on they have the full access to their powers.” Twilight listened carefully to his words, flipping the ring over in his hand she continued to watch it.

“But there’s something else… a theory I have. A theory I need you to look into, do you recall when I saved Sweetie Belle. I said somepony blasted me with magic from behind to let me reach her.” Nodding once, she did remember it. “Yes but what does that have to do with the ring?” She asked though she had an idea of where he was going with this.

“I believe that if you think of what you need, the ring will perform it. Like if you needed to levitate something a beaker, a book, but didn’t have magic. The ring could do it.” Twilight tilted her head, that was a pretty wild theory. “And have you tried it?” She inquired.

“Yes, but nothing happened. I believe though, nothing has happened because it’s out of magic. You see, Rarity tried to reshape while I was sleeping a few days after finding me. But couldn’t, that’s because the ring is immune to reshaping unless you physically reforge with either more gold and runes. Or smaller by taking metal off, to say fit my finger. But we’re getting off topic.” He finished, clearing his throat for a moment he continued.

“I believe that any magic on it won’t work, unless it’s wore. But I believe it might absorb magic, like say it you shot one spell at it. It won’t work or do anything to damage it. But it will take the magic inside it, and store it for later use.” Twilight listened to his theory, it wasn’t as crazy as someone might think. It would make some sense; magic doesn’t just disappear instantly after all. It lingers for a while before finally fading away…

“So you’re saying, that Rarity trying to reshape it failed. But succeeded in storing the magic away, and that stored magic blasted you forward to save Sweetie Belle?” She asked, nodding once to her. She placed a hook to his chin thinking, it would make sense given that Rarity nor herself sent him fly.

“Where was the ring during your jump?” She asked, though his memory was fuzzy of that exact moment and time. He did remember that when casing Sweetie Belle in the Boutique it was in his back pocket, and he hadn’t changed it location. “My back pocket?” He answered, Twiight nodded once.

“Well then if what you’re saying is true, then it being behind you. The magic would certainly push you forward… Then are you asking me to test this? By what blasting magic into it here and now, and see if you can send it back?” She said, shaking his head in response he offered the ring to her.

“No, what I’m asking is for you to take it for now. Try it out in a safe environment, somewhere where nopony will get hurt should my theory be wrong.” Twilight was taken back; he was actually considering the safety of others? Impressive, given his slightly reckless nature of wandering the Everfree passing out. Then throwing caution to the wind and chasing a frighten filly on a cart with a scooter. Jasper narrowed his eyes at her…

“You were insulting me in your head, weren’t you?” He asked, her eyes widen before nervously waving her hoof dismissing his claim. “O-Of course not!” She laughed a little bit not looking at him, as he opened his mouth to drill her for answers a knock came at the door. Both of them looked to it as a unicorn stallion with a brown coat and black mane walked in wearing a white lab coat.

“Ah, Prince Jasper, you’re up. And good afternoon Miss. Sparkle.” Twilight exhaled thank Celestia somepony saved her, she smiled at the other unicorn. “Good afternoon Doctor Code Yellow, may we help you?” She asked, the Doctor nodded once. “Why yes, Prince Jasper?” His name made him straight up with a raised eyebrow.

“Your latest X-Ray came back; your hand is now fully healed. Your ribs will still take some time, but you can be discharged.” Jasper smiled nodding, finally he was free of this place… Not that it was bad, he just couldn’t sit around for much longer. The Doctor cleared his throat demanding attention again.

“I must say you humans healing rates are remarkable, it was almost like magic.” He said, he bowed his head a bit. His horn then glowed a bright yellow along with Jasper’s cast, a small crack began to form on the cast and slowly grew before final. It snapped the cast in half freeing his hand, Jasper smiled clenching and unclenching his fist. It felt sore from lack of use, using his thumb he cracked every chuckle freeing the once trapped joints. Much to Twilight’s dismay, she hated the sound of cracking.

After stretching his arm he saluted the Doctor making the stallion smiled. “Thank ya kindly Doc.” He said copying AJ’s southern accent, the doctor nodded once before leaving the two alone again. Twilight waved bye as the Doctor left the room turning back to the man. “Well congratulations on healing mostly. I’m assuming you heard what Code Yellow said?” (Look up what Code Yellow stands for in hospital terms on google. Might give ya a small laugh ^-^).

Nodding briefly to her he answered back “Yes, like magic which might also be why I couldn’t use the ring. It must have been busy healing my body from the crash.” Twilight agreed with him before taking the ring on her horn, she felt a cold wind push through her. Though there wasn’t any open windows, it felt… Cold, heartless, deadly, almost like the same feeling a Windigo was said to give in her books. She began to shiver a bit from the feeling, taking notice Jasper reached out patting the back of her neck. Much like how a human would touch another on the shoulder in comfort.

“Twilight? You okay?” Twilight smiled nervously up at him, though she didn’t answer his question she spoke. “I…I’ll teleport you to Rarity’s, along with your clothing. It should appear on her couch for you.” She looked away from him, her horn glowing its magenta color. His hand slipped off her body and before he could stop her. His whole body disappeared in a popping sound, Twilight looked at the clothing on the bed for a moment before it too joined him.

Now completely alone, she threw her head to the side sending the ring flying across the room. It made a metallic clang as it hit the floor, Twilight clasped to the ground in a ball as tears began to fill her eyes. With a shaky voice, she spoke to herself as an image filled her mind…

“W-What… what i-is that horrible… p-place?..”

Author's Note:

Hey everypony, I'm back with Chapter 7. I hope you all enjoy! Leave a comment, share all that fun jazz! :ajsmug: