• Published 22nd Apr 2016
  • 751 Views, 11 Comments

A Second Chance - Pochi



A new student by the name of Amaryllis shows up in Ponyville.

  • ...
0
 11
 751

Part 1 The Everfree Riot

On nights like tonight, the Everfree Forest is kept silent and nopony dares makes a stir, however this is not one of those nights. Restless tension swallows the Changeling Kingdom whole as the hive-minded Changeling drones riot throughout the forest. It is said that their fear-mongering queen has fallen to illness and weakened by hatred. With nopony to properly rule over the kingdom, the drones spiral into insanity, for it is known that Changeling drones can not survive on their own for they do not know how to use their freewill. Without guidance, the Changeling drones will die.

Watching apathetically from above, Queen Chrysalis remains motionless and unfeeling. She lays in her rancid pool of slime watching from inside her protected castle. The destruction of the Changeling Kingdom was drawing nigh as she looked upon her falling subjects with glossy eyes.

"It's terrible outside, isn't it, my Queen?" A soft-spoken voice from behind Chrysalis chirps.

Chrysalis, still glued onto the horrors from her window sill, simply nods.

"My Queen, don't you think you should help your fellow subjects? Perhaps rally up a town meeting?"

The sound of screams and magic reactions echo throughout the Queen's quarters, the smell of burning wood festers inside their nostrils. Queen Chrysalis turns towards and faces her daughter from her oozing bath. The young royal Changeling stares at her mother with bulging innocent eyes, she was covered and splattered with drone blood on her crown and face. Her slit eyes dilated had full of unseen brutality. Queen Chrysalis knew her daughter was hiding something, something truly devious behind her father's deceiving blue eyes.

Queen Chrysalis beckons to her daughter, "No Aldora. Let my drones be. Leave me to my ruin."

"Come now, Mother, you surely want to see your brethren die? For what purpose is there in doing so?"

"It is not the time to talk about this. Leave Aldora. There is no purpose for our kingdom any longer."

Aldora approaches Queen Chrysalis and with an unshaken voice declares, "I am not here to talk. Your era of bitterness is over. Your subjects are dying because you fail to see and care for them. What good is a queen who has given up on her kingdom and herself? You're finished here."

The noble changeling raises her darkened horn and expels a burning plasma into her mother's right eye. The acidic magic eats away at the Queen's eye, and launches her out of her spectating window. The Queen, unable to react in time, plunges down into the fray. Her ribs crack and poke out from inside her torso. She struggles to get up and lets out an agonizing cry. All around her is towering flames and the dried out shells of her drones. Aldora, from above inside the castle, roars a hearty laugh, "Queen Chrysalis is no more! I, Aldora, the next heir to the Changeling Kingdom's throne, has overthrown the Bitter Queen! My new fellow subjects, anoint and crown me as not only your new queen, but your new savior! Bless me, so that we shall execute Chrysalis for her insolence and carry out a new era! Hail me! Queen Aldora!"

"Queen...Aldora. Queen..." The drones refrain from their self-destruction and in unison chant their new queen's name, "Queen Aldora! Queen Aldora!'

The newly crowned Queen Aldora shines a wild smile and whisks her baby blue mane haughtily, "That's right! I am your Queen! Exterminate Chrysalis! Do as I command you, my subjects!"

"Exterminate Chrysalis! Exterminate! Exterminate!"

Chrysalis trembling in terror, winces in pain she tries to drag her body across mountains of corpses. With some strength in her wings left, she propels herself into the dark edges of the kingdom. Crowds of disemboweled and wounded Changeling drones chase after her in hot pursuit, firing hostile magic. Magic flames burns through Chrysalis' mane and sears the tips of her ears. Her right eye now swollen shut with blood and hot tears mixed. She gallops with a limp far away enough from the hoards of disfigured drones. She has reached the end of her once acclaimed kingdom and now into the feral bowels of the Everfree Forest.

Alone and damaged she walks aimlessly through fields of poison joke, though it has some healing properties for Changelings, it is not enough to fully recover. The moonlight shimmers over these poisonous fields and a sense of calmness overtakes Chrysalis. Her body collapses onto the cobalt cloves, writhing in pain. Her breathing becomes steady as she hears distant hoof steps. They have caught up to her, but poor Chrysalis admits utter defeat and now lays in wait for her inevitable destruction. The hoof steps stop in place near Chrysalis' face, the banished queen looks up at the stranger and remains silent.

"Oh dear me, you are injured I see. I know who you are, but come with me, my hut is not far."

The stranger hoists Chrysalis' body onto her cart and pulls her away from the poison joke fields. Chrysalis' other eye begins to close as she peacefully falls into a deep and heavy slumber.