• Published 21st Apr 2016
  • 1,811 Views, 35 Comments

Guardian of the Princesses - Darth Annihilator



Dark Saber is the former guardian of the Princesses, exiled after the Nightmare Moon incident. He now lives as Winter Shield in Ponyville. How will he affect the MLP universe? Who knows? I sure don't. Let's just read and find out...

  • ...
2
 35
 1,811

The Ticket Master

We resume our story at Sweet Apple Acres a few days after the Nightmare Moon incident where Winter Shield and Twilight Sparkle are currently helping Applejack bring in the harvest, Spike is present as well but he's currently rummaging through the apples that Twilight is carrying.

"Thank you kindly, Twilight and Winter, for helpin' me out with these apples" Applejack said.

"Why did you need these apples harvesting so quickly anyway? We're not due for bad enough weather that it'd be threatening to your crops for another month or so, more than enough time for you to do you harvest" Winter asked, cocking his head in curiosity.

"Well…" Applejack began "Ah bet Big Mackintosh that Ah'd be able to get all these Golden Delicious by lunchtime; loser had to walk down Stirrup Street in one of Granny's girdles" she chuckled.

"No problem at all, Applejack. I'm glad the goal is lunchtime. All this hard work is making me hungry" replied Twilight.

"I know, right?" Spike interjected, still sorting through the apples.

"Puh-lease Spike, all you've been doing this morning is lounging on my back while we worked."

"Exactly, you three were taking so long I missed snack time"

"Excuse me Spike" Winter interjected, scowling at him "But I saw you snacking on the apples as we worked so don't complain about missing snacks when you do stuff like THAT."

"Sorry Winter" Spike said, looking chastised "It's just apples are less filling than gems for me, maybe it's because I'm a dragon…" he trailed off. Winter's face softened.

"Or maybe it just means that you're growing; when I was your age, I ate twice the amount you do… or at least I think I did…" Winter said, looking thoughtful "Bah, I can't remember; must be the curse of old age."

"Don't be ridiculous Winter" Twilight said, somewhat snappishly "You can't be much older than us, otherwise you'd look like Granny Smith!"

Applejack chuckled but then said in a serious voice "Ah don't know Twilight, it seems like Winter's been around here forever; nopony remembers when he arrived, not even Granny and she knows when everypony arrived; it's possible he wears his age well…"

"Now that you mention it, I do see a few grey hairs…"

"And Ah see stiffness in his movements…"

"I'm standing right here, you know" Winter deadpanned.

"We know" Applejack and Twilight replied simultaneously in cheerful voices.

As they were debating this, Spike had gone back to sifting through the apples when he suddenly pulled out a large and shiny red one.

"Aha" he said upon finding it.

"Oh Spike, that looks delicious" Twilight said when she laid eyes on it, before Spike ate it in one large (and loud) bite.

"Did he just dislocate his jaw to eat that?" Winter asked in slightly disgusted curiosity "I swear that apple was almost as big as his head."

"SPIKE!" Twilight scolded him as her stomach grumbled.

"What?" he asked before burping up a cloud of green flame which materialised into a scroll.

"A letter from Princess Celestia" Twilight said, somewhat excitedly.

"Ahem. Hear ye, hear ye. Her Grand Royal Highness, Princess Celestia of Equestria, is pleased to announce The Grand Galloping Gala to be held in the magnificent capital city of Canterlot, on the 21st day of, eh, yadda yadda yadda, cordially extends an invitation to Twilight Sparkle plus one guest." Spike read out to the three ponies.

"Who sends their personal student a letter like THAT? I'm assuming that was an automated letter…" Winter muttered

"THE GRAND GALLOPING GALA?!" shouted Twilight and Applejack in excitement.

"I've never been, have you Winter?" Twilight asked.

"I've done the fireworks a couple of times but never attended the social side of it and I don't intend to change that" Winter answered.

"Oh come on Winter, a dance would be nice."

"And who would I dance with? Princess Celestia?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You never know, she appears to like you. Even if she didn't, I probably would" Twilight responded.

"Moving over my issues with dancing, I'd rather not get involved in Canterlot politics which is what always happens if you attend the Gala."

"Never mind the politics!" Applejack interrupted "The place is a potential gold mine! Land sakes, if Ah had an apple stand set up, ponies would be chowin' our tasty vittles 'til the cows came home. Do you have any idea how much business Ah could drum up for Sweet Apple Acres? Why, with all that money, we could do a heap of fixin' up 'round here. We could replace that saggy old roof, and Big McIntosh could replace that saggy old plow, and Granny Smith could replace that saggy old hip" she said, getting lost in fantasy land. "Why, Ah'd give my left hind leg to go to that gala."

"That's about the cost of the tickets." Winter mumbled "You could do all of that by just selling one of those tickets in Canterlot or Manehatten…"

"Yeah, but then I wouldn't get the network of contacts and clients that Ah'd be able to get at the Gala."

"WHOA!" came a sudden cry before a cyan mass crashed into the ground in the middle of the three ponies.

"Rainbow Dash." said Applejack upon seeing who it was "You told me you were too busy to help me harvest apples. What were you busy doing? Spyin'?"

"Nope" replied the pegasus after dusting herself off before gesturing at a pillow and blanket in one of Applejack's trees "I was busy napping and just happened to hear you had an extra ticket"

"Yeah, but…" Twilight began before being cut off by the rainbow maned mare.

"YES! This is so awesome. The Wonderbolts perform at The Grand Galloping Gala every year. I can see it now. Everyone would be watching the sky. Their eyes riveted on The Wonderbolts, but then in would fly Rainbow Dash!" said the pegasus, following in Applejack's footsteps in getting lost in fantasy land.

"But…" Twilight attempted to say again before Winter cut her off.

"Don't bother; when she gets like this, she never stops until she's finished whatever dream she's having" he said exasperatedly.

"I would draw their attention with my Super Speed Strut; then, I would mesmerize 'em with my Fantastic Filly Flash. And for my grand finale, The Buccaneer Blaze! The ponies would go wild! The Wonderbolts would insist that my signature moves be incorporated into their routine, and then welcome me as their newest member." finished Rainbow, coming out of her fantasy.

"I highly doubt Spits would accept a new member based on a disrupted show and moves that other ponies have already done." Twilight muttered to herself (A/N: Any ideas who Spits is now?)

"Don't you see, Twilight? This could be my one chance to show 'em my stuff. You just gotta take me!" Rainbow said before being shoved out of the way by Applejack.

"Hold on just one pony pickin' minute here." she spat "Ah asked for that ticket first."

"So? That doesn't mean you own it."

"Oh, yeah? Well Ah challenge you to a hoof-wrestle. Winner gets the ticket."

"You're so on!" Rainbow replied before the two of them locked hooves and started groaning in effort.

"Ah, girls…?" Twilight began before the two mares were encompassed in an ice blue aura and pulled apart. All three looked at Winter, whose blood red eyes were blazing with anger.

"No one is hoof wrestling for any ticket, it is Twilight's to do with as she pleases and if I see either of you harassing her for it, then I will leave you in a block of ice for two hours" he warned, ice crystals beginning to grow around the hooves of the two mares.

"You can't do that, we'll get frostbite or pneumonia!" retorted Applejack.

"WARM ICE THEN!" Winter bellowed, his mane appearing to blow in a non-existent wind.

"He'll do it, I've seen him do it before" Rainbow added, shivering in fear of Winter's temper.

"Really, who did he do it to?" Spike asked out of childlike curiosity.

"Me" Rainbow replied "He was experimenting with extremely volatile substances and I started flying round his lab, so he froze me and left me outside to thaw."

"What were the substances?" Twilight asked, her inner scientist emerging.

"Dragon's blood – willingly donated – and powdered manitcore claw; created a large explosion and a red star which then sparkled to make numerous smaller stars" Winter answered.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I have work to do" he said before heading home and into his lab where he began the production of the fireworks he was running low on. Seconds became minutes and minutes became hours as he worked before he was disrupted by the sound of stampeding.

"What in the blazes is going on out there?!" he grumbled before exiting to see Twilight Sparkle and Spike being chased around by the entirety of Ponyville "Okay, this is just getting stupid now"

"Oi Twilight" he called to her which she seemed to have heard as she changed direction and headed straight for his house. The moment she passed through the door, he stood in the doorway and glared at the mob.

"Now that I have your attention, may I ask why you're all running round like your tails are on fire?" he asked them, though he had a feeling he already knew the answer. This generated mixed responses though most were about the Gala ticket.

"Look here, Ms. Sparkle is new to the town and barely knows anyone, there is absolutely no need to chase her for a scrap of paper ESPECIALLY when she knows less than half of you and thus is likely to gain the wrong opinion of this town and its inhabitants, is that what you want?!" after he said this, the ponies looked ashamed of their actions and shook their heads in answer to his question "Good, now I'd suggest apologizing to Ms. Sparkle for your actions here today when you next see her – INDIVIDUALLY, mind you – and go home before this stampeding sets off my fireworks and/or hurts someone."

After the ponies left, Winter went inside and invited Twilight into his lounge.

"Gee, thanks Winter. I thought I'd have to barricade myself inside the library." Twilight said gratefully though her stomach was still rumbling.

"No problem, the ponies mean well but they easily get excited about various things and thus don't always think their actions through. Anyway, you look hungry, have you still not had lunch yet?"

"No, I haven't had chance with everypony and their dog chasing me or doing favors for this accursed ticket" replied Twilight, rubbing her temples and placing her head on the table in front of her. Winter frowned at the actions of her friends and neighbors.

"Well, I missed lunch myself due to work; I was going to make myself something now, care to join me?" he asked as he walked towards a door before stopping in the doorway and looking over his shoulder at her.

"If you're offering, I certainly would, thank you" Twilight said, following him into his kitchen.

"So what was that all about? I thought that you'd have kept knowledge of the ticket secret after Dash's and Applejack's reactions" Winter asked as he prepared some sandwiches.

"I intended to, but… well, it's a long story" Twilight replied as she chose her filling (it was daisies, just for the record)

"I have time and maybe I can offer some assistance" he said as he finished the sandwiches "Spike, do you want anything? I have a box of gems - all of which are of no use to me - in the cupboard; they're yours if you want them."

"Thanks Winter" Spike said before digging into the box.

"Well" Twilight began "I decided to keep the ticket secret and ask my friends why they wanted to go to the Gala, that way I could give the ticket to the one with the best reason."

"Hm, sounds reasonable if not a little unplanned; I assume knowledge of the ticket got out anyway" Winter said, looking thoughtful.

"Yes, I fell over which was how Pinkie discovered the tickets, she then told Rarity and then Fluttershy's rabbit stole the tickets. After that, Pinkie ended up telling the whole of Ponyville, which led to the stampede which brought me here."

"That mare has a dangerously loose tounge with some matters" muttered Winter about Pinkie "So who had the best reason then?"

At this, Twilight grabbed her head and slid to her knees
"That's the problem, I DON'T KNOW! How do I choose? And when I do choose? Will the other four be mad at me? I mean, I could give up my ticket and give away two, but that would still leave three disappointed ponies. What if I…" she ranted before being cut off by Winter.

"Look Twilight, if the others are truly your friends, they'll respect your decision without too much anger, if any at all; even if they're not, those are YOUR tickets to do with as you please, not theirs, so what you do with them is up to you" he said before standing and asking if she wanted anything else to eat.

"Ah, no thanks, I'm fine for now" she declined before pausing "Winter, if you were in my place, what would you do?"

"Me?" Winter asked, looking surprised "well, I suppose I'd do what I've always done and decline the tickets; more trouble than they're worth, in my opinion"

"But wouldn't that be rude?"

"Probably, but I've never been a by-the-book pony, plus you could explain that the tickets are causing you more harm than good, if our Solar Overlord is as understanding as you claim, she'll accept your decision."

"Even if that's true, wouldn't I still disappoint my friends?"

"Better to disappoint them all than show apparent favouritism where there is none; besides, if you live for the approval of everyone, you'll only receive their hatred at the end of it. Believe me, I know" he said, looking out of a window into the distance.

"But what if I…" Twilight began before being cut off again.

"Enough of that talk Twilight, if you live your life by "What Ifs" you'll only end up second guessing yourself all the time; take them into account but never dwell on them, it does no one any good when you focus on probable outcomes when the event has happened or is happening" Winter told her in a slightly chastising tone.

"I see your point Winter, thanks for your advice" Twilight said, pondering Winter's words.

"It was no problem, you asked for my opinion and I gave it; any help or advice you got from it was unintentional on my part, but I'm happy to have given it nonetheless." Winter replied before looking out of the window again "Now, it's getting late so allow me to accompany you back to the library so you don't get mobbed again"

"Really? Well, if you're sure, then I'll happily accept the company; SPIKE! Are you ready?"

"Yeah" Spike answered, finishing off the box "those gems were delicious Winter, thanks a lot."

After a relatively uneventful walk, the trio arrived at the Golden Oak Library where they ran into Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, all of whom had grouped together in there for some unknown reason.

"I can't decide, I just can't decide" Twilight screamed upon seeing them "It's important to all of you and I just can't stand to disappoint any of you, and giving me gifts and doing me favors won't make any difference, because you're all my friends and I wanna make you all happy and I can't, I just can't!" Applejack stepped forward, looking guilty.

"Twilight, sugar, Ah didn't mean to put so much pressure on you, and if it helps, Ah don't want the ticket anymore. You can give it to somepony else. Ah won't feel bad, Ah promise."

"Me too. I feel just awful that I made you feel so awful" added Fluttershy.

"And me too. It's no fun upsetting your friends" put in Pinkie.

"Twilight, it was unfair of me to try to force you as I did" continued Rarity.

"YES! That means the ticket is mine! Ha ha, I got the ticket, I got the ticket…" Rainbow sang before she was interrupted by Winter clearing his throat and upon seeing Winter, Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie and Fluttershy scowling at her, she deflated "you know, I haven't perfected my signature moves for The Wonderbolts anyway. I don't need that ticket either."

"You were all so hung up on going to that blasted Gala that you couldn't see just how you were hurting Twilight by forcing her to choose between you" Winter said to them all.

"We're sorry, Twilight" apologised the five mares.

"That's it, I've got it!" said Twilight as if a light bulb had switched on in her head. "Spike, take down a note please:
Dear Princess Celestia,

I've learned that one of the joys of friendship is sharing your blessings, but when there's not enough blessings to go around, having more than your friends can make you feel pretty awful. So, though I appreciate the invitation, I will be returning both tickets to The Grand Galloping Gala."

"WHAT?!" questioned the other mares in unison.

"Noble and smart in my opinion" said Winter approvingly.

"If my friends can't all go, I don't wanna go either" finished Twilight as she placed both tickets in the scroll Spike was writing before rolling it up "Okay Spike, you can send it now"

"Twilight, you didn't have to do that…" said Applejack as Spike burned the scroll with his breath.

"Now you won't get to the Gala either" Fluttershy added.

"I've made my decision; besides, as a wise pony told me: "it's better to disappoint everypony than show apparent favouritism where there is none." I realized on the way over that, for me, this statement meant that I couldn't possibly fully enjoy myself without all my best friends there with me (if at all), so I would rather not go at all" replied Twilight, looking at Winter as she spoke, before she was enveloped in a hug from the other members of the Mane Six, suddenly Spike began holding his stomach and retching.

"Well wallop my withers, Spike. Isn't that just like a boy? Can't handle the least bit of sentiment" said Applejack disparagingly

"OI! I'M MALE TOO YOU KNOW!" shouted Winter in mock outrage.

"Sorry Winter" said Applejack sheepishly before Spike burped up a reply from the Princess.

""My faithful student Twilight, Why didn't you just say so in the first place?"" he read out before producing six Gala tickets "Hang on: "P.S. Due to his actions against a Princess of Equestria, the pony known as Winter Shield must supply the fireworks and mingle with the Gala guests, failure to comply will be met with this sentence being expanded by a decade for every Grand Galloping Gala he does not attend" Oh, there's a ticket here for Winter as well…"

"Excuse me one second" requested Winter before he vanished in a flash of ice blue light and a shout was heard across the whole of Ponyville "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

"Wait a minute" Spike added ""P.P.S. I always get the last laugh Mr Shield""

Scene Change: Canterlot

"So Twilight should've gotten my message by now." said a white mare with an aurora for a mane.

"What we do not understand, Sister, is how thy plan for Twilight Sparkle and her friends will help integrate us into modern society" replied a blue mare with the night sky as her mane.

"It's quite simple really Luna, but I think you need to wait for the plan to come to fruition before you understand" answered the white mare, taking a sip of tea.

"Bah, 'Tis a rarity that any being can understand thy plans Celestia. Dark gave up trying years before our… episode and that says much on the matter." retorted Luna as she drank from her mug of hot chocolate.

"Just what are you implying there Luna?" asked Celestia, raising an eyebrow at Luna over her cup of tea.

Luna was about to respond when they were interrupted by a shout of: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Immediately Luna jumped to her hooves, prepared for battle and also sending the table they were sat at flying while Celestia fell over with laughter.

"Be at peace Sister, there is no attack or danger; rather, part of my plan has just come to fruition" Celestia said after she had regained control of her amusement; slowly, Luna calmed down and returned to her seat, placing the table back in its original position.

"We shall take thy word for it Sister, but we must know: what of Dark? What has happened to him? We've been back for several days now and yet we see neither hide nor hair of him, why is this?" Luna asked, looking at her sister inquisitively.

Celestia paused, unsure of how to answer.

'I shall find you Dark' she thought 'There is nowhere on Equestria where you can hide that I will not find you'

Scene Change: Ponyville

After the shout, Winter reappeared and discovered that the mares had decided to treat Twilight to dinner to apologize.

"Okay, I'm good now" he said as the others laughed and invited him to join them which he accepted, Spike opened the door holding the tickets and each pony took one as they passed (Winter took his reluctantly though).

"Huh? How come I don't get one?" Spike asked after all the tickets had gone, Winter heard him and walked over.

"If you want, I could use my contacts to get you one" he said before Spike burped up a scroll containing a ticket for him which he was obviously happy to receive, though he tried to cover up his joy with fake disgust.

"Don't worry, it'll be our secret" Winter said, winking at him before they both started laughing and followed the six mares.

Author's Note:

Hi all, Darth here with the rest of the chapters from Fanfiction.net, the reasons why they're here so late can be found in my later notes but before all of that, I just want to thank the people here for recieving this story so well, I was honestly pleasantly surprised by how much y'all seemed to like it and I hope I can continue to please because I really enjoy writing this story and if you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it, then I know I've done something right :twilightsmile:
Anyway, hope you like what I've got so far and all feedback on my story is welcome provided it is phrased in a polite and comprehensible manner.
Until next time,
Darth Annihilator - out.