• Published 16th Apr 2016
  • 2,736 Views, 107 Comments

The Broken Toy - DarkKnight_RUS



In the future of Earth advanced genetic engineering allows humans to mass produce sapient synthetic living beings with programmable minds and memories.

  • ...
27
 107
 2,736

Chapter 05

The Princess took Lyra away from the main hall. Walking beside the alicorn, unicorn couldn’t take her sparkling eyes from alicorn, noticing nothing around…

Painted door lead both ponies into big room, though not as big as the main hall. Everything here reminded of home world: furniture, designed for ponies, pillows instead of chairs, lower ceiling, stained glass windows…

A very big and fluffy carpet was occupying the center of the room, beside it were resting a pile of paper and a small computer with a printing device. Obviously, the Princess was busy with something.

“Dear Princess Celestia, today I…” — a brief glance at computer caught some words out of text.

Lyra looked around carefully.

It looked like ponies were back in Equestria, right into Canterlot Castle. A wide bed, cloaked in shadows of opposing wall, a few shelves filled with books and scrolls, a dressing table with a huge mirror. Closed cupboard filled, obviously, with clothing, and a burning fireplace, that setted home comfort atmosphere.

Yet outside of the window were not the pastoral beauties of Central Plains and Ponyville, that were seen from Canterlot Peak, but the lights of a human city.

— Do you want some tea? - asked the Princess, and Lyra nodded negatively

— Thank you, Princess, but it’s not necessary. I’m so grateful, that You would listen me out!..

A hardly noticeable smile appeared on alicorn’s muzzle.

— You want to tell me something, my little pony, - sayed the princess, and it wasn’t a question.

— Of course! - the unicorn couldn’t figure where to start, as she was overwhelmed by emotions. — I... I am so happy to end up in human world, Your Highness, but just this morning...

— If you wish, lie down. It looks like we will have a long talk.

Alicorn circled scattered pillows with her leg, and Lyra lied down onto one of them, feeling a little shy and unconsciously choosing a green one.

Unicorn talked, and Celestia didn’t interrupt. Little pony’s emotions were rushing between complete delight and bone-chilling horror, and she didn’t know what to do with all that... After some time, when Lyra was out of words, it was time for a cup of tea: Overwhelmed by flooding emotions, pony was talking fast and loud, her throat become dry. Alicorn suggested to take a break.

Lyra was sitting on the floor beside the rug, that was replacing the desk. Princess filled the cups with tea, and levitated plate with cake from buffet. Another plate came down in front of Lyra. The unicorn gratefully smiled, and bowed her head.

— Your Highness, — Lyra sayed a little after, — I’m so happy that you listened to me, but… Please, tell me, how did You end up here?

Alicorn smiled, yet her smile was bitter.

— I couldn’t send my little ponies, even ones from the Mirror Pool to a fate, I haven’t experienced myself… — she answered, and added — unfortunately, there is no way back to Equestria. It truly was a wise decision not to go here by myself…

— You too are from the Mirror Pool?! — Lyra nearly choked on tea.

— Your friend is worried about you, Lyra, — the princess changed the topic of conversation, — And taking into account that I heard, you need something more, than explanations.

— Yes! Your Highness, it’s…

— Trust me, my little pony, there is a lot of good people in this world, and the best, that ponies can give back are friendship and love. And throughout both series, ponies gave humans a lot of both.

Lyra closed eyes, and again saw grim casemate, filled with muffled moans and whip strikes.

“You’re bad, bad pony!” — rude voice echoed through memories…

— If ponies gave people so much love and friendship, why some of them treat us like that? — unicorn quietly asked.

The Princess took a deep breath and hesitated, before giving an answer.

— Many people just can’t understand what ponies want to teach them. Or their understanding is twisted. But we can’t turn on them because of that.

— But why? — Unicorn almost started to cry, but held back — Where did this loathing came from?

— That’s just it, Lyra Heartstrings, — There was pain in alicorn’s voice, — Many of the people cloak their love in such an ugly form. Just because they don’t know any other way.

— But if people distort meaning of kindness so much, what can we do?

— We? We can bring love and friendship. As we were doing hundreds of years ago. And if just one of them would change, it would mean our victory.

— But Princess! You haven’t seen that Fluttershy!..

Celestia hugged Lyra with her wing, (and rested her head on top of Lyra’s head).

— I saw a lot, my little pony, — Celestia whispered — Even things I would prefer never to see. But since this evil exists, we can’t pretend that it doesn’t. Besides, you are partly right, and some people just hate anybody, who doesn’t look like them. But it there were no ponies, they would hate someone else. Sadly, this is the part of most people’s nature.

Alicorn felt how unicorn under her wing started to shiver due to coming tears.

— But why won’t You interrupt, Princess? — Lyra asked — There was so much pain, so much fear! It’s like I was there myself, in that dungeon, to be tortured by monsters in the guise of human…

Celestia took a breath, as if unicorn raised a very heavy topic. When Alicorn spoke, her voice was full of feebleness:

— Lyra, I’m princess only within the walls of “The Lighthouse”. Bronies venerate and respect me, but, essentially, they are the hosts here. Everything is different of the club. For the good being of my little ponies, and those, whom we gave the light of friendship, I’ve accepted it. Magic cannot move the Sun and Moon around in this world.

— But what about other ponies? — Lyra asked, — Do they have to suffer because of humans’ vices?

— One can’t just fill the world, sunken in darkness, with light. Unfortunately, “Do everything right” spell doesn’t exist neither in Equestria, nor here.

Lyra didn’t look up. One by one, bitter tears started to shed onto the carpet.

— But Fluttershy… She was in such pain…

— Within the walls of “Ponyplay” much worse things happen. And worst of all, some ponies took an awful example from such people… — Celestia sighed, — But we can stop it only with kindness and love. There is no other way.

— I saw that word - “Ponyplay” on a TV ad… What is it?

— A very, very bad place, Lyra. Ponies and humans gather there too, but… They are different. Do you know, what I mean? That kind behavior is considered normal there.

— Princess, Your magic…

— Is weak here, as your. I think, it because the source of my powers - the Sun, located much, much further. However it’s my hypothesis, and it’s hard to prove.

— But the Sun here is just a little bit smaller, than Equestria’s!

— Oh, Lyra… The Sun here is so big, it is hard to even imagine. It appears small, because it is in an unthinkable distance.

Lyra raised her desperate gaze upon Celestia.

— But what can we do then, Princess Celestia? How can I accept all of this?

— You can take care of your friend, Victor. Then darkness will take a tiny step back, and when Victor will bring the magic of friendship to his family and friends, that tiny step will become wider. Majority of people does not believe in magic of friendship, but it does exist, and it is as powerful as in Equestria. Wonders can happen even here, in this gloomy world of technology.

Lyra let it sink for a few seconds, then closed her eyes and hugged solar alicorn.

— Thank you, your majesty, — she whispered, swallowing tears, — it’s all that was bothering me. It was just eating me from inside. I couldn’t imagine, that humans’ world could be brought before me like that.

Celestia smiled, supporting minty-green unicorn with her wing. In moments like this, she could believe, that she is the one, who others prefer to think about.

***

When Lyra and Celestia left, Victor got nervous.

Alicorn, obviously, was a synth. Bronies from the club chipped in to buy her, gathering money for several years. Also, princess didn’t have “EQ” index, and knew the truth from the beginning. When she’d got settled, she accepted the rules, and started to help ponies and people with advice when needed.

Celestia become the beacon around which gathered those, who lit their fire of friendship, in the darkness of apathy.

By sorting out mail, by helping and supporting, Celestia has become the spiritual leader of people, who called themselves “Brony”, and also become the bearer of Equestria’s spirit for ponies, who came into reality from the lands of wonders.

Victor knew it, but still couldn’t calm down.

— Had you already told her, in what kind of world she came? — Shannon asked Victor.

— So far, mostly the good things, — he answered — But warned her about us eating meat, and that we tended to make war a lot. She reacted kinda calmly.

— “Kinda” ?

— Without tantrums, cries, and jumping out of window.

Maxtaut shaked his head:

— Alright, then. I mean, you shouldn’t throw everything at her at one time…

When doors opened again, Lyra was there. And as Victor’s eyes met with the shining glance of Lyra’s golden eyes, he felt relief.

Pony run towards kneeling Victor and flew into his arms, hugging and nuzzling him.

— I’m so sorry, please, forgive me, — she whispered, ignoring cheering rumble around — For being scared, for not trusting you! You are my friend! The first and the best friend in this world of humans! Please, promise me, that you won’t leave me…

Victor, got rid of a lump in his throat, stroked pony’s silky mane and whispered into twitchy ear:

— I will never let you go. I promise. And forgive us for this cruel world...

Some of present delicately turned away. Some watched, and didn’t hide tears. One of Pinkies, dressed in white and red dress started to cry. Two bronies started comfort her.

Victor hugged slightly trembling Lyra, and warmth of gratitude to Celestia filled his heart. She always managed to deal with “Equestria-borns”, and Lyra wasn’t an exception.

Unicorn felt, how human firmly hugged her to his chest. She closed her eyes and tried not to cry.

— hey-hey-hey! — Surprise spoke — Why there is sadness on the party? Not on my watch!

White pegasus swooped down from somewhere above, and blew three horns at once. Lyra and Victor, almost jumped because of surprise, instantly were given party-hats. Partymaker flew up, and sang to the funky music:

— Why you all have to be sad?
Why are you looking down?
Smile, dance a little,
And laugh for a while!

Burst of applause and laughter were the answer. Lyra smiled, turned to Victor, and met his eyes. He smiled in answer.

— And now - fun! — declared Surprise — No objections!

No one even wanted to…

***

Flyer took them late at night. Lyra, which were taken into every dance and game by Surprise, fell asleep in the flyer’s cabin. Victor was yawning himself, so he’d turned on the autopilot. Last thing he needed, is to smash into one of the Spires. Electronics would take control in that situation, of course, but dealing with air-police would be a pain.

When they came home, Victor took pony to the sofa, and laid her down without taking off her clothing, in order not to bring back morning fears. He put blanket over the unicorn, left the room and started preparing for the night…

Victor had almost fallen asleep, when he heard clatter of hooves, muffled by a rag.

He tried to fall back to sleep, but the soft voice of the unicorn intruded his dreams:

— Vic, are you asleep?

— No, — he answered and turned to the pony. Their faces were on the same level now — Something happened?

Unicorn looked a little embarrassed.

— I… Can I sleep with you today? — she asked, looking away — I… I’m still feeling bad after what I had sawn this morning.

Victor’s heart missed a beat, he moved a bit and got up on his elbow.

— Of course, Lyra, hop on.

When Lyra lied down, Victor noticed, that she changed her clothings to a long and baggy t-shirt, that was covering her down to the tail. Lyra lied with her back toward Victor, but even her presence here was a miracle.

— Hug me, please. — She asked very quietly, and with a smile, Victor put his hand on her flank.

They hadn’t spoken a word, and Victor fell asleep, feeling pony’s heartbeat under his hand and breathing minty mane. Thinking about what a great gesture of trust was her deed.

Lyra didn’t fall asleep right away.

She had came here for several reasons. The first was what she said to Victor, it wasn’t a lie. But there were other reasons that she didn’t mention.

She wanted to test, if human would try to molest her after what he had sayed. And get over herself, get over the fear, that was instilled by human culture.

Minute by minute the time passed. Victor didn’t even try to get under her t-shirt, to forbidden places, though one of them, close to the horn, was just a few centimeters away from his face.

But Victor’s breath soon become deep and calm, and his arm, that was on Lyra’s flank, relaxed and got heavier.

Pony calmed down, her thoughts gradually become ones about safety, and tiredness took over...

***

— ... Victor!!! — Loud voice woke him up as good as cannon fire — What does this mean?!

He jumped up on his bed, sleepily blinking. Beside him, with the same face expression, sat Lyra, obviously woken up by the voice.

At the bedroom doors stood his mother - mrs Sally Stewart dressed in unchanging outfit - jeans and snickers. Her lush hair pulled into a ponytail, sunglasses resting in top of the head - classical image of a housewife... Misleading impression. She was co-owner and commercial director of family business inheritor of which Victor will become.

But only if you would become at least little successful by himself - that was the only condition.

— Dear, what’s happening?! — came father’s voice from the corridor — I’ll be in a second!

Steps came closer, and John Stewart, the head of the family himself, showed up. Muscular, square-built man in his 40s, actually was almost 70 years old, and took a nano-rejuvenate courses. Victor knew firsthand, that his dad was not only a good businessman, but also a hunter and a boxer.

Victor’s childhood was full of hiking and sports training, but his father didn’t make him do it, rather he inspired Victor by his own example. He was a man, that Victor could rely on any time.

— Victor, Sally, is this what I think it is? — mr Stewart looking at his son and a pony.

— No! — Simultaneously said Victor and Lyra.

Victor felt, how he blushes. He knew, that his parents had the keys, but he didn’t expect them to show up today. It’s been 4 years since Stewart Jr. left, to make his own life, but parents were still helping and visiting their son, who, because of being lacking on business grasp, already beared two finance fiascos. Victor decided to apply for a proper job, to prevent third fiasco and gather some experience.

— Mom, Dad, — Victor didn’t come up with something better, than introduction — Meet Lyra Heartstrings. Lyra, say hello to my parents - John and Sally. Mr and Mrs Stewart...

Mom pursed her lips and took an ice-cold look at Lyra.

— Sweetie, I understand, that you are a grown man, and you have needs... But for the sake of all things holy, couldn’t you find yourself a normal woman? I haven’t noticed your odd tastes before!

— Please, don’t talk like I do not exist, — quietly said Lyra, — I am an intelligent creature!

— This plushy even talks... — ruefully said mrs Stewart, but the father stepped in:

— Sally, go to the living room, I will talk to him. Like a man with a man. Ok?

Smile appeared on Sally’s face.

— Dear, you’re the best! — She said and left the room.

— There was nothing between me and Lyra... — Victor started, but father raised a hand and called to silence.

— We don’t judge others tastes, son... And if you like your horsie... — he threw a glance on Lyra — Lyra, right? Then, God bless you, I will accept your choice. And I mean it. You are a smart cookie, and won’t date with just anyone, and the bed is your personal choice. We live in a modern society, and moral decline of it is not fault of synths, but you do understand, that I want to see grandchildren, right? Preferably not foals, and preferably without visiting another rejuvenation. Did you get it?

Victor could only squeeze out:

— I presume, it’s useless to repeat, that we are just friends, right?

He looked at Lyra, who covered her muzzle with blanket and was red as beetroot.

— Of course, son, — elder Stewart smiled, and patted son on his head. — Your dad have lived 4 times longer than you. And, as I’ve said, I won’t interfere with your feeling. Just promise me, that you will think about the other perspective. Ok?

— Okey, — Victor smiled, he expected at least a thunder.

— Thank you, mr Stewart — Lyra said — But we really are just friends. I just got cold during the night.

John smiled looking at pony’s giant golden eyes

— And Victor didn’t show how to use AC?

Lyra got caught and dropped her ears.

Mr Stewart smiled patronizingly.

— Never lie to elders, girl. I’m sure, that you weren’t the one, who initiated the whole progress. But trust me when I say, that I won’t judge neither you, nor Victor. I always taught him, that live is a
sequence of choices. And everyone chooses for himself.

— Sorry — The unicorn peeped

— Think as you wish, but we ended up in the same bed
not for the reason which you and mother think of. — Declared Victor.

He wanted to add something, but mrs Stewart peeked through ajar door.

— I hope, you’ve explained everything to him? — She asked.

— Of course, dear — John answered, and conspiratorially winked to his son, — Could it even be otherwise?

— Then get up, and make yourself presentable, — She demanded — We hadn’t came here for no reason.

When Victor and Lyra have entered living room, parents were drinking coffee. The table was full of sweets, and holovision were muttering something about last stock summaries.

Lyra she put on a tunic, that gave her kind of an ancient appearance. She managed to comb herself, and definitely were trying to make a good impression.

Family sat around the table, and Lyra lay down beside Victor’s armchair.

— Would be presence cause trouble? — Asked pony, glancing from mr Stewart to mrs Stewart.

Before Sally could say anything, John spoke:

— No it wouldn’t. Do you want some coffee?

— Thank you — shyly whispered pony.

Inner struggling showed on mrs Stewart's face. She definitely was annoyed by pony, but didn’t want to make a scene.

Cup, filled by John got cloaked in telekinetic glow, and flew to pony, which were pretending that she is watching H.V.

Victor painted a smile. Mr Stewart sipped from his cup and said:

— Let's get straight to the point, son. Your grandfather wants everyone to gather up a month earlier.To be exact - today.

— Today? — Asked Victor, — Had something urgent happened?

— I’d sent you mail yesterday, — Noted John. — But it looks like you were not in the mood.

— And now we know why, — Added Sally, and forcibly smiled to Lyra — Victor, I hope you won’t bring your... Pony with you, will you?

— I think, my presence on a family meeting would be... Odd — Unicorn raised her voice.

Mr Stewart smiled.

— I’m glad, that we understood each other, — He said — Victor, get yourself ready, you will fly right behind us.

Victor looked at his parents. Why would Grandfather, the Patriarch of a small family clan, decided to call them all to his mansion, located in the middle of Siberia, where he’d lived for the last 50 years?

“It’s october - thought Victor - Brr... I hate snow...”

However, knowing Grandfather, there was no doubt, that the reason was extraordinary.

— Alright. Give me half an hour.

— Our flyer is right beside your, — said mother, standing up — Just don’t mess around.

When parents left, Lura walked up Victor, stood on her hind legs, and leant on his chest with her front legs.

— Victor, Had something happened?

He found strength to smile.

— Aside from the fact, that we were spotted in one bed, and now parents think nonsense?

Light-green hoof lightly bumped his chest, and blush appeared muzzle. In this proximity it was noticeably, that it was fur becoming red.

— You’ve perfectly understood, that I wanted to say! — Giggled unicorn.

— Grandfather is the head of our family — Victor started to explain — and the head of the family’s business. No one knows, how is he, but at least he is 120 years old. There was no Gigapolises, only The Great Building... But whatever. Grandfather never does something for no good reason. And if he wants to gather up whole family, I must go there, and probably be there till late night. Going there and back, and gathering itself... It will take some time.

There was slight annoyance in his voice. He wanted to spend the day with the pony, become friends with her for real. Get rid of that feeling of loneliness, that was building up until his soul was touched by the beautiful world of Equestria...

Lyra dropped down on all 4 and archly looked at Victor.

— If you are going to leave for the whole day, then can I... Go for a walk? — She asked.

Victor got slightly confused by the question. Not that she was in any danger outside. There was many “free” synths with green registration in White City, and in Gigapolis in general, who didn’t have owner and were living for themselves. Besides, damage to someone’s else property probably would cause court trial, and Lyra was registered in White City.

On the other hand, she was so naive, that Victor didn’t want to leave her alone.

“She is not a prisoner” - he cut his train of thought and said to Lyra:

— Alone? Well... Only in White City, so you’ll be out of danger. Or take a taxi, and visit “The Lighthouse”, would it be okay?

— Yes! But.. I’m scared of being lost...

— Don’t worry, — He stroke her mane, and tapped on pony’s occiput — You have... a magical mark here. It says, who are you, where do you live and all that kind of stuff. If you will get lost, just approach a policeman, and ask for directions.

Lyra smiled, and shyly poked floor with her hoof.

— Victor, I’m embarrassed to ask... But could you give some coins?

— Coins?.. Of course, here — He reached his pocket, and pulled out some bills. Money got cloaked with telekinetic glow, floating in air. — Look, there are numbers, that depict, how much each piece of paper worth.

— Thank you... Is this a lot?

— Enough, to have a good day — He smiled, and ruffled pony’s mane, — Also, is not accepted to bargain is this world.

— Why? — Lyra genuinely got surprised. She looked up — It is so natural!

— To be fair, vending machines won’t even accept less. And salespeople do not have any control on cost. Also, there is no bazaars in Spires.

— Alright, then — Said pony, and put money into her pocket. — Then so be it. But it’s confusing.

— Have a good time. Just be cautious, alright?

— Alright, — Pony promised, looking directly into human’s eyes.

— You could also visit “Galaxy-Plaza” — Victor recommended — There definitely will be something, that can interest you. When I was a child, I wished to live in that castle filled with VR, attractions and cafes. And you won’t even need to leave the Spires, where it’s safe.

Lyra didn’t answer, only smile.

Victor didn’t know, that the unicorn already had a plan...