• Published 20th Jul 2016
  • 560 Views, 4 Comments

Sentry: Soldier of the Sword - ShadowBrony21



"The spear represents a defensive weapon, it is used to fend of the enemy in tightly packed formations to defend a point. The sword is an offensive weapon, it is used by getting up close with the intent of killing the enemy."

  • ...
6
 4
 560

Prologue- Before the Siege (Revised)

"I say again! This is an important day! A Princess' wedding; first in over a thousand years, everything must go to plan and it is our duty to ensure security over the entire procedure!"

Flash and his platoon were at attention in a single file the parade ground of the barracks as their Sergeant explained to them their task at hand , whilst casually strolling up and down the line giving his final remarks before their upcoming task whilst waving around his infamous "stick of doom" (baton) stuck to his hoof behind his back. His whole body was still besides his mouth shouting and limbs taking him up the hallway and back again. It was like his brain was the Sergeant of his body as well; he head seemed relaxed with a stern face, but his hooves were buckling as he strolled.

"I know that I look stupid walking up and down this hallway, barking things that you already know, but I cannot stress enough about the procedure going to plan with all these dangers lurking around Canterlot conveniently taking place alongside a royal wedding!" He boomed as he stopped and looked at an unfortunate guard straight in the eye, causing him to sweat profusely, before heading back on his usual walk; allowing the guard to take a breath, and continuing on his speech.

"Unfortunately for some of you arse-hats! Saying 'Don't Be A Fucking Retard' isn't enough for some of you to be... A Fucking Retard!" He glared at the crowd.

"However, unlike the plan explained previously, you will not be stationed at any of the wedding halls unfortunately for any of you young guards who wish to take a mare into bed tonight and use those little dangy things between your legs!" he shouted sarcastically and then eyeing Hoofguard and leaning forwards to him before adding "Or mares for those with the likes of you!" then leaving a flustered Hoofguard trying desperately to hide his blush as he continued his walk.

"I don't give a shit if some of you get STDs or that you got a mare pregnant without the intention of doing so, as long as I don't have to fill in paperwork to your family, the Captain or the Princesses, informing them why my platoon is made up a bundle of sticks!"

Soothing his harsh glare, his face returned to calm and well-kept as he continued.

"But we would be taking the most second most important emergency position. This is due to the decision that was made by the Captain to have the richer guards to take the public positions, meaning that none of you will be exposed to the public until you are off duty at 1830. You will be relieved by the 23rd platoon for the rest of the day!"

He paused then marched to the front of the centre of the platoon, continuing on: "For now, you will be dismissed by your commanders and awaiting further orders at the start of the wedding on 1100 sharp!"

He'd then halted and raised his baton up to his chest and handed over the command to their Lieutenant before marching off.
Lieutenant watched their sergeant march away before whispering to the platoon, "I know it's actually my job to tell you guys that but frankly, that was a long speech and I'm not bother to repeat that, I've got better things to do. So... if you weren't paying attention; May Celestia help you."

After getting a few chuckles from the guard, He went on, "So pretty much just report here midday tomorrow, you can do anything you want as long as you are not going to be a bunch of dickheads..." He gave a quick grin before going on.

"Platoon, Officer on Parade, dismissed!"

The whole platoon turned to their right and started marching off in unison, and heading of in formation towards their living quarters.

"Some times I think we've turned them from colts to stallions within less than half a year. Remember the first time we met them?" Corporal Ironclad chuckled at the memory as the remaining guards left.

"Yeah I'm impressed alright, but I think their just better than the other recruits." Corporal Silver Spear chuckled, wearing a smug smile on his face whilst wiggling his eyebrows at Lancer.

"If you're that easily impressed, you have no idea of what discipline is," muttered Lieutenant Lancer before adding: "And no, I still think they need harsher training, Sergeant made it very clear," and then heading down the hallway, followed by the corporals to report to Captain Shining Armour.


"I can't believe it, we're going to miss out on the wedding!" snapped Hoofguard, his face was still red from being humiliated by Sergeant Gale Winds in front of everypony to see. The band of mates were in their small room which just had two bunk beds, four old desk cabinets and a small window; quite a cramped space, so they usually go out to do something when off duty rather than staying in their rooms.

"Well, we had no choice, they never wanted 'untrained young recruits' in any position which required any sort of importance," muttered Tappenfield, who mocked the sound of Prince Blueblood from an incident in the castle.

"Hey, we can watch a recording of it, my family is going to be the official photographer for the wedding, I'll just have to remind them to give us a copy of the ceremony."

"Snapshot, I'm fine without a recording, but at least we would be allowed to go off duty once the initial wedding is over." beamed Hoofguard.

"I honestly think their going easy on us, we may as well guard the area all day! Besides, we are in a quite important position for a bunch of guards out of recruitment! Or maybe the reason why your so pissed is so you can..." joked Flash as he bumped Hoofguard's helmet.

"Shut up, Flash," he snapped, face full of anger at the joke, clearly not taking the joke well.

"I have to make up for missing three dates with Yellow Star, I bet she'd kill me if I'm not available with her at the wedding." Hoofguard added, whilst sorting his armour out.

"Three dates! Dude! You could off done 'it' by now! Third times the charm!" Snapshot teased, while mocking Flash when they practiced archery, earning a chuckle from Tappenfield.

"I swear a javelin is much more accurate than a bow, how do you even shoot a bow with a pair of wings and hooves?!" Complained Flash.

"Two pwnages with a sentence and earning a snicker from Tappenfield, that's an academy record," mocked Snapshot, re-enacting Soarin's representation of Spitfire at the Wonderbolts Academy.

"Shut your F-ing mouth up, Snapshot." before heading out of their room with the intention of getting ready to meet his marefriend again.

"Three," whispered Tappenfield to no one in particular, earning a chuckle from Flash and Snapshot.

"I heard that!" exclaimed Hoofguard, getting an even louder laughter from Snapshot.


Tappenfield was the oldest of the group. He came from a family in Las Pegasus, and joined the royal guard to help bring in income to his family. That's just what they know. Ever since the time they tried to pry a little, he would just ignore them give a hint to back off. He is very stoic, stubborn and diligent and doesn't chat as much. He has a dark blue coat, a light grey mane and a cutie mark consisting of a map.

Snapshot's family is made up of artist and photographers, he had great eyesight and was an expert in aerial combat. He the opposite of Tappenfield; he chats a lot, is very laid back and a cutie mark of a spear with wings.

Flash, on the other hand came from a little-known family that was active in Equestria's military. He doesn't pride himself on his family history, but prefers to appreciate the things he himself had achieved. He's not do sure about his talent but he's sure it has something to do with protecting others. It's funny to think how a mark on your flank really effects and controls one's life, it seems silly to stress out about something so little in life when there is much more to do.

Hoofguard was the youngest of his platoon. He had red coat and a blue mane with a cutie mark of a pair of crossed spears. He was recently planning to propose to his marefriend who he had been dating for one and a half years. She always supported him when he was in the guard and never wanted him to give up. Even though he was the youngest, Hoofguard always protected his friends to the best of his ability and had the biggest attitude.


Hoofguard looked at his watch impatiently as he hurried down the street. He was dressed in his armour excluding his helmet and spear.

Sidestepping into a specific house on the side of the road. He walked up to the doorstep and hesistantly knocked on the door and waited, it's been so long since he was free to spend some quality time with her.

"I'm coming!" a voice rang out, muffled from behind the door, followed by hooves rapidly hitting the floor before the unlocking of the door. As it opened a mare was casually opening the door before noticing the stallion at the doorstep. "Hoofguard?" She uttered, both shocked and surprised to see him.

"I um.. err..." Hoofguard stammered, "Thought is was appropriate to drop by," he said giving a dumb smile to the mare, hoping to cheer her up. A slap blew across his face, he wished he had brought his helmet.

"You've got a lot of nerve in that tiny head of yours to drop by now!" she yelled, "Seriously, it's been 9 months since our last date! Which was only half a date since you had to leave halfway through!"

Hoofguard rubbed his cheek and smiled dumbly, "Uhh... yeah I deserved that, umm..." She looked at him, unimpressed, She bet he was going to desperately make up to him in another cheesy yet stupid way.

"I was thinking if we could dance together at the end of the wedding," he finished.

She smiled, before giving him an unimpressed frown, "Really now?"

"Yeah, um.. yeah?"

She sighed, then sarcastically said, "Only if you make it to the end on time,"

"Uh... yeah sure!"

She smiled, and brought him in for a hug, "Sorry for ranting earlier, I was agitated,"

"No, it was my fault, sorry for missing out on hanging out with you, you know how it is with the royal guard and stuff."

She smiled and pulled away, holding his hooves "Just promise me it will be back to normal,"

"It will, security would drop after the wedding, that's what the huge fuss was about.

They smiled and were locked into a kiss as the promise was made.

As they broke off, they looked into each other's eyes in their embrace in silence. Both had never felt so relaxed and comfortable for a long time.

"I... uh..." Hoofguard chuckled as he awkwardly broke the silence.

"Come on in. You big goof," Yellow Star smiled. "You can stay the night." She winked.

"I got an assignment early in the morning... so I think I'll just..." Hoofguard said before being interrupted by another kiss as he was dragged into the house, closing the door behind him.

No pony knew, but after the wedding, life as they knew it would change dramatically.