• Published 10th Apr 2016
  • 349 Views, 9 Comments

Spinning Gears, Painted Letters and Onyx Gems - Ebony Runwick



Sequel to Mechanic Hearts And Postage Stamps, Circuit and Adhesive now have a new son, how will this effect their lives? And how will their family come into play?

  • ...
 9
 349

Chapter 8, Boom! >:3

A few months after the incident, Crescent was back home, with little incident. Originally he’d been at Ponyville General, but that quickly turned into a problem. The family was entirely too protective, then again, their kid had just been stabbed. Ebony had begun wearing her nine millimeter on her hip, right out in the open for all to see. Of course, that wasn’t all, Circuit had begun fiddling with his mechanical arm and now had a hidden blade attachment. Adhesive had taken to wearing steel horseshoes in a more ‘brass knuckles’ kinda thing, and Circuit’s grandmother had even showed up. No surprise there, but the thing was she was now stationed at the door to the room with her shotgun ready to go.

Many a doctor and nurse alike had been scared out of their wits by the very angry and very armed family. When Rainbow had been brought in, the foal had refused to leave his brother’s side, clinging to him in the bed and wailing if somepony attempted to remove him. Soon after Ebony had deemed him able to be moved they’d gotten Crescent straight to the clinic, making sure that he was comfortable and completely safe. There were always two guards stationed in front of his door and Ebony had upped the security at the manor. Circuit, well…. He’d upgraded some stuff too. Of course, his stuff wasn’t finished yet as the turrets took a bit longer to build...Okay well, maybe he was taking some things a bit too far, but that was his house and his foal that got attacked so he was going to do what he pleased and nothing was going to stop him aside from Faust herself. He’d thrown in some other things too like upgraded the door and added some cameras, those not taking very long to add in. He wasn’t fully satisfied with the quality, but they’d do for now until he got the turrets up and running.

As of now, Crescent had fully recovered and now the manor was bustling with excitement. Ebony was going to be holding the first ever public Changeling seminar protesting changeling rights to the world. Changelings were going to be able to come out of hiding for once, not too many of them, but quite a few. It was a revelation that had everyone, quite literally, buzzing. And those who weren’t going to go were going to see their kin on tv for the first time. Everything was new, everything was exciting and at the forefront of the golden mare herself.

“Okay okay, but what about the senator from Westforth? No no no, the tall stallion not the shorter mare. Yes yes, the one with the brown coat?” Said mare was currently on the phone with somepony or other, pacing back and forth in her room, friends on their way to help her get ready and a complete bundle of nerves. “No no no, everything’s fine- What? Chichina, yes yes she’s right-” The mare quickly turned away from the phone and yelled down the hall for her sister. “Yes she’s coming, she’s been prepped on the press crash course you sent. She’ll be fine yes, yes I’m sure!” Circuit let out a little snort as he slowly poked his head out of the room where he settled in with Crescent, the family having been staying there until Circuit had the security at the house up and running to the standards he wanted. He was really tempted to reach over and snap the phone shut, but figured he’d rather not have the mare strangle him.

“You need to calm down. You’re going to wear a ditch in the ground from all your pacing if you keep that up.” The mare she was addressing looked up in surprise, as if forgotten that he’d been there.

“Oh Circuit, right, you’re absolutely right… Everything’s going to be fine… It’s not like my entire species is going to come out after all this time or anything.” She let out a nervous laugh. “What could possibly go wrong? We could be attacked, shot, killed, or worse!” Now the hybrid was visibly shaking, she’d snapped the phone shut after saying she’d call him back later. Her breathing was heavy and her eyes were glued to the floor in a look of near terror. The stallion hesitated a moment before letting out a dramatic sigh, stretching out one of his mechanical wings to wrap around her and drag her over to his side. He would’ve just used a hoof, but he was still slightly concerned that in her freak out she’d break his arm or something, and he’d much rather risk the fake wing than his arm.

“Just relax, everything will be fine. You know if something happens your changeling buddies will just beat the crap out of whatever idiots decided to pull something before they can even blink.” Ebony looked up at him before turning into the embrace of her friend and sniffling softly for a moment.

“...I’m supposed to be their leader, I’m supposed to be strong and a beacon of elegance and tranquility along with a commanding authority. But how am I supposed to be all that when inside I’m actually terrified?” The golden mare had never shown weakness if she could help it, never before having a full on breakdown except for the first time they visited the manor.

“Chichina look up to me, she needs me… She’s always wanted to come outside with me but she can’t. And now everything I’ve been working towards is coming to fruition but I’m scared, what if it isn’t everything she wanted? What if ponies hate her and my people? I don’t want them to be further prosecuted.” Circuit reached and lightly took her hoof, despite his still slight worry of having it broken, giving it a little squeeze.

“Just relax, it’s going to be fine. Everything will go great and everyone will love you guys. And even if they don’t, you’ve managed this long with all the persecution that you’ve all faced, you’ll make it. We’re not going to let anything happen to you or your people, okay? And you know they’re not going to look down on you for being concerned, if anything they’ll probably be touched that their great and powerful leader is getting so worked up over their safety.” He teased lightly as he nudged her, trying to lighten the mood slightly before his expression sobered again. “They’re not going to abandon you now over a little freak out, none of us are. Not after everything you’ve done for all of us.” The mare visibly relaxed.

“You’re right, as usual. You’ll both be there the entire time though right?” She shifted from hoof to hoof, wings fluttering absentmindedly in nervousness.

“Of course, we wouldn’t miss it for the world. Willow even said she’d make it down if she can, the whole family will be there to support you.” Circuit snorted softly, rolling his eyes a bit. “This is a huge moment for you, you honestly think we wouldn’t show up?”

“Okay, okay, let’s get going though alright? I’d like to get this whole thing out of my system before I grab all of you and bolt.”

Le Timeskip~!

_______________________________________________

Outside the town hall of Ponyville, a large crowd had assembled. A raised podium had been set up near the entrance and a few royal guards milled around the crowd and guarded the dias. Mostly lunar guards of course, this is Ebony we’re talking about. Nimbus was talking with one of them next to the podium and Ebony was flipping through her flashcards and helping Chichina organize hers. Buggy stood behind the podium, ready to back up his mistress and stood before a small group of changelings.

Many of the ponies in the crowd seemed hesitant, eyes flittering around in worry or distrust but there were a few that had smiles on their face. Those made Ebony at least a little calmer.

“Okay, I’ll go first, then Buggy and finally you Chichina. Are you ready?” The purple maned changeling nodded with a large smile.

“I’m ready, you’re gonna do great!”

“Woo! Go Ebony!” A loud voice cheered from the front of the crowd, of course emitting from a familiar green haired stallion who was waving a banner about. Circuit sat to the side of him with Rainbow in his arms, a slightly embarrassed, but still fond, look on his face as he waved to the little group on the stage. Beside him were Crescent and Willow, who seemed far calmer about the whole thing. Though Willow was only calm because she was really far too old to be jumping about like a lunatic like Adhesive was currently doing.

The mare waved back, a large grin on her face before approaching the podium. Ebony tapped the mic and everyone grew silent, looking up at her.

“Ahem, good morning ladies and gentlecolts.” She swallowed before finding her voice again. “Many of you have seen me around, your parents have seen me around, your grandparents have seen me around, for generations. My name is Ebony Teresa Runwick, I am a changeling hybrid.” Several gasps came from the crowd as this news was brought to light. “I have been around for a very long time, I’ve lived among you all in peace. I’ve fought for my country on multiple occasions, like you, I am a regular citizen. I come before you all today to show you my own people. We are not to be feared, we are a group of rebel changelings who wish for nothing but peace and to live with all of you in peace.”

Ponies began to settle down, some with confused looks on their faces, others intrigued. Soft murmurs still went through the crowd as the mare’s calm and impassioned voice rang through the town square.

“My people have lived in the shadows for a millennia, we have kept away from ponies as much as possible. We do not want to hurt anypony. Changelings are a race with rich history and a deep culture that only have a different food source than you. We enjoy the same activities, the same music, we have literature, dance, foods and traditions just like you. The changelings behind me have stepped out of the shadows to reach out a hoof to you in peace and friendship. We wish to be allies in this world and to cease all this prejudice. Everyone of us wishes to be able to co-exist with you in harmony. There is nothing that I want more than to see both of my people’s co-existing together, with no hatred or grief.” A stunned silence followed her words, the only sound being the slight rustling of leaves in the background as the ground simply stood and stared. Till slowly one pony began to clap. Followed by another. And another. Till the whole crowd was up and cheering in support for the mare. That is till a voice raised up above the cheers, amplified by the megaphone stallion held.

“Liar!” The ragged stallion screamed as he shoved his way, the crowd falling back with screams of terror as they saw the device strapped to his chest. He tossed away the megaphone as he was close enough, sneering at the mare as he pulled the detonator from his pocket. “You’re a filthy liar Ebony Runwick, and you’ll rot in hell with the rest of your changeling freaks!” He held his hoof over the detonator, a slow smirk spreading across his face.

“Lit One sends his regards.”

And then everything exploded.