• Published 15th Jun 2012
  • 2,329 Views, 60 Comments

More in Common - Batgirl639



Octavia automatically hates Vinyl Scratch from minute one. She soon learns they have much in common.

  • ...
3
 60
 2,329

Party Preparations

Party Preparations

Octavia laid on the floor of the jail wallowing in boredom. Vinyl braided and unbraided Octavia’s tail as a failed attempt to reduce boredom. Vinyl started whistling, but one of the guards yelled at her to be quiet because he hated the song she whistled. The jail was even more torturous because it was dark, smelly, damp, and hot.
“Why- out of all the ponies- do they choose us to accuse of having fake tickets?” Vinyl asked.
“I don’t know,” Octavia sighed. “I don’t think we’ll be out of here by nine o'clock tonight.”
“Ugh! This is torture! I want to stretch my legs, but there is a suspicious yellow liquid over there which I don’t want to accidentally step in,” Vinyl complained.
Octavia sighed again as she watched a spider crawl in front of her. She sat up and looked around the jail for the first time. There were little animal skulls shoved in the corners, spiders’ egg sacs everywhere, and snake skin.
“This is almost as gross as the hotel,” Octavia joked.
“Ha! Almost as gross. Not quite though,” Vinyl said.
“By the way, what time is it?” Octavia asked.
“I don’t know. We’ve been in here for about an hour,” Vinyl answered.
The guards turned around as another pony entered. Octavia and Vinyl stood on the tips of their hooves as they tried to see through the bars of the jail and over the guards' heads in order to see the pony who just walked in. They could barely see a white unicorn stallion with a blue mane. First, they thought it was Fancypants, but then they realized he didn’t have a moustache or a monocle. It couldn’t be him.
“I don’t know who that is,” Octavia said.
“Ooooh! I know who that is! Some pink pony and I were operating a turntable at his wedding. His name is Shining Armor,” Vinyl said. Shining Armor talked to the guards for a few minutes, then he opened the door on the jail. The guards led Octavia out of the jail and into a royal courtroom.
They sat in chairs and waited for the judge to come. Princess Luna came.
“Octavia and Vinyl Scratch,” she said. “Thou are accused of treason, making counterfeit tickets, and stealing bits. How do you plead?”
Octavia and Vinyl exchanged nervous looks.
“Um... We didn’t do any of that stuff,” Octavia said quietly.
“Yea, we bought our tickets, and then we went to go on the tour, and then the guard stopped us, and then he said we had fake tickets, and then he looked in Octavia’s saddlebag, and then he saw the money she brought from home, and then he took us to jail, and then we were bored, and then-” Vinyl stopped to take a breath.
“Silence!” Luna shouted. “Thou is not permitted to speak again! How do you plead?” Luna pointed at Octavia.
“Um... Well, it’s pretty much what Vinyl said. We were accused of having fake-”
“We did not ask what happened!” Luna interrupted.
“Look, we have to be out of here by nine and it’s already-” Vinyl looked at the clock. “2:30. So, please let us go. PLEASE?”
“Very good. All I asked was to hear you plead,” Luna smiled. “Has the jury made their decision?”
“.......No,” somepony in the jury said.
“This job is boring... Thou can go because the guards have no evidence. Begone with you!” Luna said as she waved her hooved.
Octavia and Vinyl smiled. They left the royal court as they heard Celestia say, “Luna, that is not how you’re supposed to judge! I’m the judge next time.”
“The tour already left,” Vinyl said.
“When’s the next one?” Octavia asked.
“5:00,” Vinyl said as she looked at the brochure.
“Well, we can’t wait around here for an hour and a half. Even if we did, the tour would be over at about 10:00 tonight and the party starts at nine. Sorry, Vinyl, maybe we could go on the tour tomorrow. Besides, who would want to go on a five hour tour anyway?” Octavia asked. Vinyl shrugged.
“Me,” she said sadly.
“What do we do now? We already paid our 40 bits. I think the tickets will let us get in for free for the rest of the year. Do you want to go to the gift shop?” Octavia asked.
“Sure!” Vinyl said happily.
The mares went to the gift shop where they looked at the cheaply made, overpriced nick-nacks. Octavia looked at the snowglobes, Vinyl looked at the model Canterlot Castle, and they both laughed at the plush Celestias and Lunas which they fell in love with after carefully examining their cute button eyes, soft coats, and the little smiles stitched onto their faces.
“Awwww,” Octavia and Vinyl gushed as they looked at them. They were eight bits each. Obviously Octavia and Vinyl had to have them. The ponies left Canterlot Castle. Octavia was holding her plush Luna; Vinyl was holding her plush Celestia..

The two musical mares went back to Octavia’s hotel room where they watched the small TV. They kept having to readjust the rabbit ears. TVs were fairly new to Equestria and they weren’t very good ones.
“Hey, Octavia,” Vinyl said during a commercial.
“Yea, Vinyl?”
“Why do you call me ‘Vinyl?”
“Because that’s your name.”
“Yeah, but aren’t you my friend?”
“Of course I’m your friend.”
“Then, why don’t you call me ‘DJ Pon-3?”
“Call you what?”
“DJ Pon-3. It’s what everypony calls me. Remember the first day I met you? I said, ‘my name is Vinyl Scratch, but you can call me DJ Pon-3.”
“I guess I can call you DJ Pon-3.”
“Hooray!......Shh! Shh! The shows back.”

5:00, 6:00, and 7:00 were spent watching TV. When 8:00 came, the two mares turned off the TV and jumped off the bed. Vinyl trotted back to her hotel room where she prepared for the Canterlot Garden Party. They were the most excited mares in the world.

“Tavi! It’s 8:00! The Garden Party starts in an hour,” Vinyl exclaimed.
“Oh my Celestia, you’re right. How could I have forgotten? You should go back to your room to get ready and we’ll meet in the lobby when we’re done,” Octavia said. Vinyl trotted back to her room.

“This is so exciting!” she exclaimed as she jumped on her bed. “Wait, what did Octavia mean when she said ‘get ready?” Vinyl went into the bathroom where she looked in the mirror.
“I should wear something cool,” she said to herself. She put on the short, electric blue dress that she bought when she went shopping with Octavia. She then put on her make-up and trotted to the lobby.
Octavia wasn’t there yet. So, Vinyl waited for her.

Octavia watched Vinyl as she ran out of the room. Octavia ran around her room in an excited circle. She wasn't sure how to get ready for the party. Should she wear the dress she got on her shopping trip with Vinyl? Should she put her mane in a bun? That was probably a "no" because it was too short. Octavia put her bowtie on, brushed her mane so it wasn't sticking out, took a deep breath and headed out the door.
"This is SO exciting!" she said to herself. "The moment I've been waiting for! I'm going to perform at this year's Canterlot Garden Party with my best friend!" Octavia saw Vinyl in the lobby of the hotel. Octavia's mouth dropped.
"V-V-Vinyl, WHAT are you wearing?" Octavia asked. Vinyl looked at her hooves and tail as if she didn't realize she was wearing anything.
"Clothes," Vinyl said. "and I thought we agreed you would call me DJ Pon-3."
"Vinyl- I mean DJ Pon-3- you can't wear that to the Canterlot Garden Party. It’s not the...the...theme of the party,” Octavia said.
“What is the theme?” Vinyl asked .
“Well... Classy and sophisticated.” Octavia said.
“Uh huh, and wasn’t that the music for the party? Oh, wait! Now I remember. Fancypants said this was the change that the party needed.”
“Yeah, but that was about music. This is about fashion.”
“So, now you’re a fashionista?”
“No, I just think you should wear something sophisticated.”
“Whatever.”
“Vinyl, please don’t wear that. No offense- but you’ll embarrass me.”
“I’ll embarrass you?” Vinyl raised and eyebrow.
“You’ve embarrassed me several time but you are worried about me embarrassing you?”
“What? When have I ever embarrassed you?”
“When you started yelling at me at the salon. Everypony was staring! What about when we were at the the restaurant and the chili was too spicy so you started screaming for a waiter to get you a drink and then you were panting? Oh, and we can’t forget about the time when-”
“Vinyl, I don’t want to hear it!............ I mean we shouldn’t fight. We should just go to the party and have fun. I’m sorry I insulted your fashion. You’re right about the theme for the party. I’m sorry,” Octavia said with a small smile.
“Okay! Let’s go! Oh, by the way,” Vinyl said as she jumped up and down. “You said ‘Vinyl’ again!”
The two walked out of the hotel lobby. They left their instruments and things at the place where the party would start. That was a relief because it was really hard carrying the giant things around. (Well for Octavia it was. Vinyl just paid a little colt to take her turntable wherever it needed to be.)
When Octavia and Vinyl Scratch got to the place where the party would soon start, they hopped around in little circles. They were so excited! The party wouldn’t start for another ten minutes. This was going to be the longest ten minutes ever!