• Published 4th Apr 2016
  • 1,736 Views, 20 Comments

So this is what it's like to be a member of a long lost civilization. - Moofrog 3



You know when you wake up as a member of the living dead you don't usually tend to take it well. It's a good thing for John Greywood that he happened to wake up a future with such nice inhabitents eh?

  • ...
6
 20
 1,736

Eating Out

A restaurant inside Ponyvile.​

“Are you sure it’s ok for me to be wandering around like this?” I ask as I sit down alongside Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Twilight Sparkles. “The inhabitants seem a little skittish.”

“It should be fine.” Twilight reassures me. “They used to be really panicky about strange beings, but they’ve gotten much better about it.”

A quick glance at Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie lets me catch a guilty look on their faces.

Naturally I don’t point it out. “Alright then, I’ll take your word for it.”

Soon after, the waiter comes by and drops off a set of menus. Hmmm most of this is pony stuff but I can see a few things that I could have eaten when I was alive.

Eh, oh well I don’t have any money on me anyway, I put the menu down and wait for the others to order.’

Pinkie Pie however seems to take immediate notice. “Ummm John, aren’t you planning on ordering something?”

“Sorry” I shake my head “I don’t have any money on me.”

“Oh” She looks down for a moment then perks up. “I could pay for it if you like!”

“I’ll pass on that Pinkie.” I say. “I mean, I don’t get hungry normally and I don’t even know if it’s possible to safely eat yet, I’ll just have to figure that out later.”

“Oh” Pinkie Pie deflates a little and looks down at her plate.

“Don’t look so down.” I try to cheer Pinkie Pie up. “I really appreciate the effort, and you’ve been a wonderful person to be around.”

That seems to lift her spirits a little, although she doesn’t seem quite as peppy as she was before. “Thanks.”

I nod silently before stretching out my arms. The tables here are so radically small that I can’t really site in the chairs for them comfortably, so I had to make do with sitting cross-legged on the ground.

“So" Twilight asks after she's finished ordering. “How are you liking Ponyvile?”

“It’s a nice place.” I say. “I’d prefer home by a long shot, but as far as strange places to get lost in go this isn’t too bad.”

Twilight Sparkle smiles “Thanks, we do try to keep it standing.”

“Keep it standing?” I raise an eyebrow. “Do you get a lot of problems around here?”

“Mostly whatever crawls out from out of the Everfree.” Twilight points out the window to the forest in question. “Manticores, Timber Wolves, mostly just smaller monsters but sometimes a bigger one like a Hydra shows up.”

“You deal with monster attacks often?” My eyes widen. “That’s terrifying!”

Rainbow Dash chuckles and I turn to her.

“What?” I ask “Did I say something funny?”

“Well yeah.” She puts one of her hooves on the table. “I mean you come from a place full of uncontrolled weather and monsters scare you…it’s just so absurd that it’s funny.”

“Well” I say “The weather isn’t that scary in the part I’m from unless flooding happens, you have to travel through a blizzard, or a tornado gets to close for comfort.”

“And monsters aren’t that scary after you learn how to properly get rid of them.” Rainbow Dash looks back at me. “You can't do nearly as much to stop while weather…Also you guys get wild tornado’s too?”

“Yeah.” I shrug “I mean it’s not like I live in Tornado Alley or anything but do we get one or two occasionally.”

“Oooh” Twilight pulls a notepad from what seems to be nowhere. “When you say tornado alley do you mean an actual place or a theoretical location?”

“Actual place.” I say. “It’s a term used to describe a region in my country of origin where tornado’s are a relatively common occurrence.”

Over the next few minutes I end up filling Twilight in on the mechanics behind non-magical tornados, apparently they aren’t really a thing on this world unless pegasi start one up.

To my surprise Rainbow Dash also looked pretty interested in the whole conversation. Apparently this was stuff she actually had to get into for her job managing the weather…who knew?

Anyway, soon after the waiter comes with the food and I sit to the side while the others eat, or at least while Twilight and Rainbow eat, Pinkie Pie finisher hers before anyone else, although she did stop to ask if I wanted a few of her carrots. I had to reassure her that I was fine and she finished up.

“So” I say making sure everyone was finished. “You guys feeling better and less hungry now then?”

The three ponies in front of me nod before Twilight seems to remember someone.

“Oh John.” She begins “I almost forgot to ask, humans are omnivores right?”

“Yep” I answer. “Meat, plants, we’re fine either way.”

“Well at least that matter is settled.” Twilight says writing down some more notes. “The human diet has actually been a matter of hot debate among Canterlot scholars.”

“Really?” I ask “What did you think we ate.”

“One of the more common opinions was actually that you evolved into carnivores at some point.” Twilight Sparkle replies. “The other main school of thought was that you were omnivores, and the thought that humans where herbivores has pretty much been a fringe position.”

“Well vegetarians are herbivores by choice.” I say “But other than that I’m not sure how much we ate meat naturally before settling down.”

“It’s ok” Twilight Sparkle gave me a warm smile. “Even the small amount of information you’ve given so far is wonderful for the purpose of study.”

“Glad I could help.” I say returning the smile.

Eventually our group pays and leaves to go back to the barn. Hopefully things aren’t getting out of hand over there.

Back at the Barn​

“Umm Applejack.” Applebloom calls to her older sister in confusion. “There’s a zombie cat eating a dead Cockatrace over by the spare barn.”