• Published 5th Apr 2016
  • 1,069 Views, 21 Comments

Miss Fluttershy - Nikiroo



A lost changeling, blasted away into the Everfree forest, tries his best to get back to the hive. But when he finally manages to escape that dreadful place, it is only to be found by... Fluttershy!

  • ...
1
 21
 1,069

A caretaker's job

Fluttershy was smiling this morning, watching her new resident walking slowly back to the sofa.
His state was improving.

"So, how do you feel today?"

#32481 jumped a bit as being addressed so directly by the pegasus, but quickly suppressed the move.

"I still am unfit, Miss Fluttershy"

Fluttershy was not used to being called 'Miss', but she didn't want to press the matter.
She knew what being shy felt like — better than most ponies — and this changeling was obviously very shy.
Maybe even more than her.
She should at least ask his name, though; it's only fair, he knows hers.

She looked at him.

...

Well, maybe... maybe waiting a day or two will make things easier?
For him, of course. Yes, for sure.
She shouldn't push him too much for information.

Getting back to the here and now, she forced herself to smile reassuringly to the changeling.

"Don't worry. You'll be back on your hooves in no time."

His expression didn't relax. He was probably still under shock...
Fluttershy left the room, letting him get some needed rest.
Harry and Angel Bunny were watching him again like yesterday to make sure he was safe, so she decided it was a good time as any to go grocery shopping.

Maybe she should also get nurse Red Heart's advice, or ask her to come here?
But the poor thing was so shy he was already having a hard time with just one pony.
One step at a time, Fluttershy, one step at a time...
He should at least have until tomorrow before having to meet new ponies.

Her non-decision taken, Fluttershy left the cottage.


A sigh escaped #32481's lisps.
As if her words were not enough, the all teeth out smile she gave him when she reminded him of how little time he had left was not reassuring.

"She may be *The* Fluttershy, but I will not show fear!"

He saw the devil-bunny rolls his eyes at his quivering voice.

#32481 lost himself in thoughts.
It looked like she was just playing with him, yet she fed him enough love to slowly heal.
But she would not waste so much energy before killing him. That made no sense!

Warrior and nurse — care-taker, to use pony words... Maybe she just didn't know which instinct to follow?
He'd better step up his act, and soon, then!

So...
Hurt and/or unable to care for himself? Checked. Sadly, that one was too true, on both accounts.
Whining in pain when he tried to move? Checked. Again, there was no need to act that part.
Looking lost and afraid? Checked. Hum... there's a pattern, here...
Looking up in deference to her? Checked. As if he would dare not do it...
He also hoped the title 'Miss' was the correct one for her position, but that's the only one he knew she had; he remembered it from a written pony artefact with lots of pictures of mares wearing strange non-protective clothes.

Now.
What more should he do?
He watched the pegasus when she took care of her animals, but there was not a lot more he could imitate.
He saw an otter and a couple of field mice hugging her hoof a few times, which seemed to please her.
And that dangerous bear also licked her face once.
About that one, he didn't know which was the scariest: being licked in the face by some wild bear, or licking *The* Fluttershy like that?
That bear was very brave. Or crazy.

So, like most ponies, she liked physical contact.
Good to know.
But he didn't want to lick her face and end up as changeling stew...

Yet, he still has to do something.
The more she acts as a nurse, the less she acts as a warrior... and the more time he has to plan his escape.

Thinking of that, he looked at his fearful guardian.
How will he even evade *that*?
He should already try to get to know the bear's sleep patterns, so he'll be ready if an occasion appears.
No way was he going to try when the beast was alert.

...But he didn't even have a pen nor paper to graph it.
Worse than that, he was still in no condition to shapeshift.
Doing so with parts of his carapace broken would be hazardous, at best.

In fact, whatever he could think of, there was only one constant: there was nothing he could do but wait.
His life was not in his own hooves anymore...


On the other side of town, Fluttershy was doing her shopping.

"...and, last but not least, your carrots! Will that be all?"

"Oh, hum... yes. Thank you, Carrot Top."

"You're welcome!"

After some bits changed hooves, Fluttershy stayed in front of the stand, pensive.

"Are you alright, Fluttershy?", asked Carrot Top after a whole two minutes.

"Oh! Sorry! I... I was just thinking about something. I'm sorry, I didn't notice I was in the way."

"Well, you're not. The peak hour has passed, there's nopony waiting in line. So. What were you thinking about that made you so quiet?"

Fluttershy hid her eyes behind her mane, scrabbling around at the soil with one hoof.

"Well, it's just..."

Carrot Top waited, but nothing else came.

"Oh, come on Fluttershy! Not again! We're friends, you don't need to be afraid. If you don't want to speak about it, that's fine."

Thinking about it, Fluttershy actually wanted to speak to somepony about her resident.
But she couldn't tell her friend it was a changeling; what if everypony heard about it?
She promised herself not to bring him anypony else until at least tomorrow.

But she wanted her friend's advice.
She would have to be careful...

"I want to... If it's okay with you? I mean, I know you have more important..."

She was cut short by Carrot Top.

"It's okay Fluttershy. So, what is it about?"

Carrot Top then frowned a bit.

"Nothing too bad, I hope?"

Fluttershy shook her head quickly.

"Oh no, no, nothing like that! I just heard some noises yesterday evening, so I went to see what it was and..."

Again, Carrot Top waited, but nothing else came.

"...and?"

"He was lost! And wounded so badly!"

She was almost crying, simply by remembering it.

"Oh, I'm sorry Fluttershy! And is he... is he well, now?"

"He's healing. But he's so afraid of everything..."

"Then he's lucky you found him. If there is one pony for the job, it is you, Fluttershy!"

"Thank you...", Fluttershy said while blushing.

"By the way, is he a cat? A dog maybe? Do you know who is his owner?"

Fluttershy was not at ease.

"Well, I don't know, he didn't tell me..."

Carrot Top chuckled a bit.

"True. I forgot you could do that. The pony who first said 'The only thing it can't do is speak' obviously didn't know you!"

A nearby pony loudly cleared his throat.

"Hum. Are you open today, Carrot Top?"

"Oh. Sorry", she answered.

She then turned to Fluttershy.

"Come back and tell me when you know who his owner is. I'll help you look for her."

"Oh... okay. Thank you Carrot Top!"

That was close...


Finally in front of her cottage, Fluttershy relaxed a bit.
She opened the door, hoping her resident took some time to rest — he needed to.

"I'm home!", she said in a half-whisper, as usual.

Before taking care of her saddlebags, she quickly checked on the changeling.

"Do you feel better? Did you rest for a bit?"

"I did take some rest, Miss Fluttershy"

His voice did certainly not feel relaxed, a fact which Fluttershy attributed to his shyness, but she also noticed that he glanced at her saddlebags a few times.
She was in familiar territory. Most of her animal friends wanted to have a glimpse at what was in her saddlebags when she came home, especially when they thought it could be food.

"Oh, you're wondering what I have in my bags?"

But #32481 didn't react the way she thought he would. At all.
He looked like he had committed a big offence, and was clearly terrified.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry Miss Fluttershy! I would never..."

She reacted almost on instinct and quickly dashed to the changeling to put her wings around him in a hug, cutting him short.

"Shh... That's okay. There's nothing wrong with that."


By the Queen, *no*!
Why did he do that? Why did he do that?!

#32481 closed his eyes, probably for the last time, hoping at least not to see the terrible instruments of torture he imagined could be in the warrior's bags.

...

He was still alive.

What... what was she doing?
The pegasus was hugging him, whispering that everything was alright.
Not understanding anything about what was happening, he just stopped moving, hoping for the best.

"Don't be afraid, everything is alright", said Fluttershy again.

He kept still for a moment longer, and was rewarded when the pegasus removed her wings from him.
He may have just misread her first reaction. She was difficult to decipher.

"I just bought some food from the market. I needed to restock".

She pointed to her saddlebags with one hoof.

"That's just some vegetables."

So... was he supposed to be interested, then?
And why was she speaking about restocking?

...

Fluttershy hid her eyes behind her mane.

"Sorry. It's... it's not interesting, is it?"

Was she hesitating again? Then he must say something!

#32481 took his courage in both hooves.
At least, he knew the subject well.

"It is, Miss Fluttershy."

"...is it?"

"It is actually my line of work."

He saw the pegasus relax a bit — it seemed that speaking was the correct choice.

"So, you are a cook then?"

"...No. I work in the logistic team."

#32481 was nervous.
He hoped that his occupation as a mere worker would not disappoint her, since he was indeed not a cook as she thought he was.
But for once, he was happy not to be from the more prestigious warrior caste.

The pegasus smiled a bit.
That was the right caste.
#32481 felt better.

"So, your job is to make sure everypony... I mean, *everyone*, get their meal as needed?"

The nervousness crept back in.

"...Yes, Miss Fluttershy?"

There was much more than that to his work, and he was proud of what he did, but a warrior playing as a nurse would not understand that.

"Well, it's an important task", she replied.

Wait. A warrior as good as her as praising a worker's duty?
#32481 was at a loss.

Angel Bunny then came into the room.
He looked at Fluttershy, then started tapping repeatedly on the ground, his forelegs crossed over his torso.

"Oh. Speaking about that, I should really go feed everyone", said Fluttershy.

The changeling watched her go into the kitchen, surprised.
Why didn't she punish the bunny?


Once in the kitchen, Fluttershy quickly put the content of her saddlebags into the cupboard.
At least, she would have all she needed for today and tomorrow, maybe even a bit more if she had enough lettuce for Angel.

"I should really make a list...", she muttered for herself for the umpteenth time.

But she was actually smiling.

It's been a long time since she had a new resident to care for.
She deeply loved her animal friends and the pets from Ponyville that frequently visited her cottage, but a changeling?
Almost nothing is known about their species.
That was exciting!

She just hoped Carrot Top was right, that she was up to the task.
She promised herself here and now that she *will* nurse him back to health.