• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 1,934 Views, 27 Comments

Sunset's Story - Fruity Treeze



It's been a year, and Sunset's friends still don't know one important thing about her. It's about time they ask.

  • ...
0
 27
 1,934

Chapter 2: Favoritism

"Before I begin though, can I just ask you a question?" I asked. They replied with "of course" and "sure", and other forms of approval. I then took a deep breath and asked the question: "Do you think your parents love you and your siblings equally?"

Rarity went first. "Yes. When I was younger I didn't think so, but then I realized why they always seemed to "love" my little sister more. It took me a while to realize that they only spent more time with Sweetie Belle because every time they would ask me I would just say I'm busy or make some other excuse like that. They didn't do it because they liked Sweetie more, but only because they had my best interests at heart. After that, I made sure to be included in everything they did together. Well, except for the more... uncouth ones!" Her story received smiles from everyone, surprisingly including Rainbow Dash.

"Well, I'm an only child, so I don't need to worry about my parents loving my siblings more. I always get all their attention!" said Rainbow Dash.

Then Twilight gave her answer. "My parents love Shining Armor and me equally. I've never felt they don't, because I was a bit too caught up in studies to care. Even after I did start focusing on things other than studies, my parents gave both of us the same amount of attention,"

"You know, Fluttershy," I began "I haven't really met your family,"

"But I have!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed. "They're really nice people!"

"Pinkie, you've only seen them for two minutes," said Fluttershy.

"Nice people are nice people, regardless of how long you've known them!" Pinkie Pie said cheerfully. That was one thing I like about Pinkie, her endearing positivity when it comes to other people.

Fluttershy then gave her answer to my question. "Yes, Pinkie is right. My parents are really nice people. They do love my brother and me equally. They might listen to what he has to say more, but that's only because I'm not the most outspoken person around." I smiled at Fluttershy. This was the first time she actually gave details about her family.

"Ooh, ooh! My turn! My answer to Sunset's question is yes. I have three sisters, and all of them, including me, are loved equally! Also, I have no idea why, but everyone who ever meets my parents thinks they are grumpy people. They're actually really really really nice and fun to be around with!" Pinkie Pie said with all her usual enthusiasm.

Now, only one person was left: Applejack. Everyone looked at her, then back at me. I almost smacked myself. How could I forget? Her parents were a... sensitive topic for her. I apologized quickly. "Applejack, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to..."

"No, it's okay!" Applejack said quickly. I could tell she was trying hard to keep a smile on. Great. And I thought I was the only one who had to deal with personal questions. She didn't stay on it for long though. "If Granny Smith counts, the answer is definitely yes." A long and uncomfortable silence followed.

Those were all... really good answers. But of course it meant they couldn't relate to what I was going to tell them.

Fluttershy of all people was the one to break the silence. "Sunset," she began in a warm tone "does this have something to do with your story?"

"Yes. Yes it does," I answered simply before I began the story.


When I was a just a little filly, I wasn't a particularly outgoing pony. I spent most of my time locked up in my room doing the two things I really enjoyed: reading and magic. I didn't really talk to anyone, except my brother Sunburst. He...


"Wait, did you say Sunburst?" Pinkie interrupted.

"Yes, Pinkie. That stallion Princess Twilight wrote to us about was my brother," I confirmed.

"Sunset, how come you never told us when she wrote? Did you tell her?" Rarity inquired.

"No, I didn't tell anyone. Can I please continue?" Everyone nodded.


So, Sunburst was the pretty much the only pony who cared about me. He was really nice, and he often came to help me do little spells. He was also very smart, and our parents loved him for that. I wish I could say the same about myself.

One thing Sunburst always had that I didn't was love and support from parents. While they would always praise him for his talent, they would always ignore me and only notice me when I messed up. I guess you could say they loved him more.

That was the reason I was so shy as a filly. I figured that if my parents didn't care about me, no one would. It didn't help matters when Sunburst found a friend to play with. It was a little filly named Starlight Glimmer.


"You mean..." Rarity started to say.

"Yes, I did know her!" I answered before she got to finish.


Starlight was a really nice and sweet filly, at least that's what Sunburst told me. I was happy for my brother and all, but part of me felt... envious. Sunburst, the only pony who liked me, spent very little time with me after he met Starlight. I didn't do anything about it though. I never talked to him about how I was feeling. I never tried to make friends with Starlight, even though I should have. One of my many regrets from the past, I guess.

One day, Starlight was over at our house, playing with Sunburst. I was in my room, as usual. I was enjoying this really interesting book about Alicorn magic when I heard some sounds from the room in which they were playing. As I said, I was a bit jealous of my brother at that time, but there was no way I was going to let him get hurt.

When I saw what was happening, I couldn't believe my eyes. Books were circling around him one second, and when I blinked they were all on their correct shelves. He was doing magic! I was even more surprised to see what happened after: he got his cutie mark!

Part of me wanted to go down there, hug him, and celebrate like everyone else. Another part of me wanted to comfort Starlight, who looked really sad when Sunburst left. Most of me, however, was convinced everyone would be better off if I just stayed there, kept my mouth shut, and didn't do anything.

Then I found out Sunburst was accepted into magic school...

Author's Note:

Just in case you're wondering, no, this isn't the only thing Sunset's story will focus on. If you have any feedback, constructive criticism, or anything you want to say about the story so far, please comment!