• Published 26th Mar 2016
  • 881 Views, 7 Comments

Everlasting Night: If Nightmare Moon Ruled - Violetkat



Nothing would stand in Nightmare Moon's way, not even the Elements of Harmony. With one mighty crash of her hoof, she destroyed them. Left with no hope, Twilight Sparkle feels defeated. Nightmare Moon has won.

  • ...
 7
 881

Here to help

It had been several days since the meeting, and Scootaloo's death, which Twilight Sparkle was still trying to get over. Something had to be done. However, she and Spike were locked up, and both of them too worried to think straight.

Twilight trotted over to where Spike was eating some very dry bread. Nightmare Moon was feeding them very little, and what she did give them was often rotten. "We have to think of something." Twilight whispered.
"Gotta... think... of something..." Spike agreed.

It seemed both of them were losing their minds.

There was probably a very obvious way out of this that the two of them hadn't thought of. But everything was so crazy. So complicated.

Suddenly, Twilight heard voices, and an orange pony crashed through the window. It was Applejack. Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy followed. "Twilight, why didn't ya just break through the window?" Applejack asked.

Twilight groaned. So she'd been right. "I don't know." She snorted. Rarity face-hooved.
"Or use teleportion magic, darling? My, Twilight, I thought you were clever! You have strong powers, right? Bet you knew that spell."
"Yes... I did..." she replied, embarrassed. "Why are you even here, anyways?" She asked, coldly.

"Wondering what was taking you quite so long!" Rarity exclaimed. "Oh, and we're here to help."
"Nightmare Moon's out o' town for a while. She's off to Canterlot to gather information about you. Seems not many ponies knew anything 'bout ya. Guess keeping yourself to yourself kinda worked!"

"Hmph. I'm always right." Twilight growled.
"Grumpy as ever, I see!" Pinkie Pie bounced over, then quickly returned to standing next to a silent Rainbow Dash.

Twilight lowered her voice and whispered to Fluttershy. "Is Rainbow okay?" She asked, concerned.
"I'd be lying if I said she was," Fluttershy replied miserably. "She's not herself, too busy grieving for Scootaloo. Pinkie's never left her side for the last few days. She's rather sensitive to Rainbow's emotions."

"I guess she's being positive to cheer her up," Twilight muttered. "Acting as if everyone is okay."
"Actually, no!" Fluttershy replied. "Pinkie knows as well as all of us how terrible this is. She isn't hiding the truth. Just look at her mane!" Twilight glanced back at Pinkie - her mane was flat, dull and lifeless, her coat paler than usual. "It's a thing that happens when she's unhappy."

"Anyways," Applejack continued. "With Nightmare Moon absent, we were thinking now would be a good time to find allies. Problem is, most of Ponyville are too scared to even offer help. They wouldn't dare, after Scootaloo...

Rainbow Dash sobbed quietly, and Applejack sighed, her eyes clouded. Perhaps she was thinking of Applebloom, and how she would have felt if she had died. "Sorry Rainbow," she murmured. "Didn't mean to hurt ya feelings." Rainbow glared at Applejack, and the pony backed away.

"Well, someone might help us, right?" Pinkie squeaked. "They'd better..." Twilight was shocked by how threatening those last two words seemed, and began to tremble. Where had the cheerful, laughing pink pony gone? Had she been a lie?

"Urgh, I guess we'll go," Twilight sighed. "But we're all in big trouble if Nightmare Moon finds out."
"If Nightmare Moon was to discover that we're talking to you, all of us would have been torn to shreds already. There's no making the situation worse."
"Plus, if I died... well, at least I would be with Scootaloo." Rainbow whispered, speaking at last. "It's my fault she died."

"Shut up, Dashie!" Pinkie snapped. "Scootaloo'd kill you herself if she saw you moping around like this! She'd want you to stand up and save everyone, right? Because, for some reason, you were her hero. Carry on being her hero, and don't let Scootaloo or yourself down!" Rainbow Dash sighed. "Okay. Thanks, Pinkie." She raised her head, new determination flitting in her eyes.

"Let's just go already," Twilight grunted. Then she trotted over to Rainbow and murmured. "I'm so, so, sorry."

"Good luck." Twilight realised she had forgotten Spike was already there. "Take care."
"Bye, Spike. Hope we meet again."
"Course we will," he replied. Then the dragon grinned. "Rarity'll look after you all."

Twilight rolled her eyes, but couldn't help but smile.

The six ponies made their way out of the window. The villagers who were outside gasped in shock at Twilight's appearance. "Is she crazy?" Twilight heard Bonbon mutter to Lyra. "Celestia knows." the teal pony replied. Several nearby ponies glared at Lyra, and she hastily corrected herself. "Umm, I mean, Nightmare Moon, of course! This is all just a little hard to get used to."
"I'm glad that I don't have to report you to our leader." One of the ponies said.

"Everyone!" Twilight called out. "I need your help defeating Nightmare Moon!"

Everyone was silent.

"Come on, hooves up if you want to join the rebellion!" She began to sweat.

"Twilight," Doctor Whooves spoke up. "I'd surely want to help. But I haven't quite perfected my time travelling invention yet. From all of us in Ponyville, as well as everyone all over Equestria, I'm afraid it's a no."

Twilight sighed, and Applejack whinnied. "Come on, y'all. We can't force them or nothin.'"

The ponies got ready to carry on, when Rainbow Dash blurted out. "Please! Think of Scootaloo!"

The gathered villagers glanced at one another.

"You were the one who killed her," Bonbon whispered quietly. "Even if you didn't want to."
"And we just couldn't possibly rebel." Lyra added. Murmurs of agreement rose from the others.
"Like I said, sorry." Doctor Whooves repeated, bowing his head.
"Now might just be a good time to give up," Lyra continued. "But, either way, goodbye and good luck to you all."

The enthusiasm and fire left Rainbow's eyes as quickly as it had appeared. The pegasus's head drooped. "Okay." She muttered. They began to walk away, when, suddenly, Pinkie turned around and yelled. "Cowards!" She looked almost ready to charge back at the ponies and rip their hearts out, but Applejack restrained her. "There's nothing we can do here, Pinkie," she stated. "Come on, we'll just 'ave to keep going. No matter what Lyra says, we're not gonna give up."
"Surely somepony must have the guts to stand up to Nightmare Moon." Rarity agreed.
"Then let's go already!" Pinkie exclaimed. "We're gonna get ourselves some allies!"