• Published 20th Mar 2016
  • 1,206 Views, 56 Comments

Equestria's executioner: Beloved - Equestriasservant



A human male, fed up with his life and on the verge of suicide is drving back home, when he's suddenly yanked into Equestria.

  • ...
33
 56
 1,206

Chapter 4: A new suit....new opportunity

It had gone completely wrong. He'd known it had, the moment James had arrived in Ponyville. He was fairly sure that a magical gateway to Equestria...was not supposed to leave the traveler with no heartbeat. The gateway was also not supposed to leave a user emotionally stunted. Being a cold, emotionless machine was not the purpose of the exercise. As he made his way down the high-street, trying hard not to punch the nearest, unsuspecting stallion, he felt the stab of anger resurfacing. What he done that was so wrong? How hard could it have been? He sighed as he felt the device in his suit pocket vibrate. He hated the thing. He wished his master hadn't given him the "Phone," whatever the hell that was. He stopped, ducking into a nearby alley, slipped the thing out of his pocket and held it to the side of his head.

"I thought you said the gateway was perfected?!" The voice on the end of the phone, once so cheerful and light-hearted, was now full of cold anger. He sighed, wishing he could explain himself without the risk of being blasted by his master's magic. "Now what have we got?!" Yelled the voice on the other end of the line. "A waste! That's what we have!" Yelled the voice. He grimaced, glad that he wasn't actually talking face-to-face to his Master. That could've been unpleasant. "You'd better fix it. You won't like the consequences if this fails." The connection cut out. He lowered the phone, frowning. Discord was always a complicated master. He could be happy and joking at one point, then change to aggressive in the blink of an eye. But this time...He slipped the phone back into his suit pocket. How would he fix this problem...without risking his master's wrath again?


"So you're a...Hoo-man?" asked Rainbow-Dash, her face screwed up in an attempt to pronounce the word. James nodded, tired of the Pegasus's probing questions. The Rainbow-maned chatterbox had been sitting on the passenger seat of his car for the past twenty minutes, asking James question after question after question. Now it was starting to get a little aggravating, having to repeat the same answers. The Pegasus seemed hell-bent on questioning him till the point that she was repeating her questions. It never seemed to satisfy her how many times he repeated the same answers to the same questions. "That's...a little bit weird." Rainbow-Dash continued, gulping down another of Applejack's treats. James, whilst not to annoyed about the fact that the Pegasus had chewed her way through the stack of treats, was finding it slightly surprising that the Pegasus could be so...intrusive. After forcing her way through the window, the Pegasus had crawled into the back seat, checking out his sword and suitcase he'd been using as a pillow, demanding to know the origins of everything inside the vehicle. "So," said Rainbow-Dash, her head turning towards the dashboard of the car, her eyes narrowed. "What is this thing? It's kinda like a house and a cart...thingy." James's eyes narrowed. That was an odd way to describe his car. "It's kinda lame though." The Pegasus said. "It needs to be about twenty per cent cooler."

"Really?" asked James. The Pegasus nodded, still eyeing the speedometer and petrol counter. "This is my car." James explained, patting the steering wheel. He knew he'd have to answer the Rainbow maned Pegasus's questions or risk them being repeated again. . "It's a thing we humans use for transport." He frowned down at the Pegasus, a thought suddenly occurring to him. "Rainbow-Dash?" The Pegasus looked up, a pleased expression on her face. "Didn't you say Twilight-Sparkle had sent you? If she's found out something then..." The Pegasus frowned, then her features lit up again. Jumping out of the car, straight through the window, Rainbow-Dash ran round the side of the car and began pounding on the drivers-side door. James, far from surprised at the continued abuse his door was taking now, stuck his head out through the window. "Is there a problem?" he asked flatly, not surprised when the Pegasus began flapping her wings, floating just above the window. He'd pegged Rainbow as a pony who liked to do everything as quickly as possible.

"I totally forgot about that!" The Pegasus shouted, turning in a tight circle above the car. "C'mon! We gotta go! Twilight'll be so mad we're late." The Pegasus flew off, her wings producing a massive cloud of dust as they flapped. James frowned, watching the Pegasus as she sped off, becoming a rapidly retreating dot. Yeah...definitely a speedster. James shrugged, opening the car door and stepping out of the vehicle. It didn't bother him whether Rainbow-Dash was with him or not. He'd go to this Twilight-Sparkle and he'd find out what she'd discovered. Though....James frowned. Now that he thought about it, the human had no idea where the purple Unicorn lived. Sure, she'd come to see him but he hadn't seen exactly where the Unicorn had gone the night before. And the speedster had disappeared, not telling him where to go, nor giving him any directions to navigate the town. The human sighed, looking down at himself. He was still wearing the stained T-shirt and shorts he'd slept in the night before. James nodded to himself. Well that was that. He'd change back into his suit and go find the studious Unicorn. Even if he didn't know his away around the town, a walk in the sunlight and fresh air would probably do him some good. James quirked his lips in another flat smile as he picked up the torn jacket.


James frowned as he turned another corner, only to find himself at another dead end. He'd been walking for the best part of an hour, trying to find his way towards the Golden-Oaks-Library. The ponies of the town had been very friendly, some even offering to escort him. He'd declined politely though, noting how many of them still looked at him with some degree of nervousness. He'd preferred to walk alone, giving him time to think. But now, here he was, standing in front of a wall when he'd been sure he was going down a short-cut that the ponies had pointed out to him. He still wasn't sure what the library was supposed to look like. He could've passed it without him knowing. It could be one the many thatched cottages that he'd passed. The human had absolutely no idea where he was going. Sighing to himself, James turned and began to walk back the way he came. If he got lucky, he'd be able to find somewhere shady where he could rest. He was beginning to regret wearing the damn suit. The sun was beating down upon him, the heat quickly getting to him under the thick jacket and black jeans. He'd considered taking off the damn jacket but he didn't think it would be a good idea to wander around with a shirt covered in tears and rips, showing off the many half-healed cuts that he'd gained during the Diamond-Dog assault.

"Darling!" called a refined voice from behind him. James turned. The white-furred unicorn, Rarity was sauntering up the roads towards him. Slung across her back were two large saddle-bags, stuffed full of what looked like materials and ribbons. "Darling, why are you wandering around in that outfit!?" demanded Rarity, tossing her elegant mane dramatically. James frowned but didn't speak watching as the Unicorn continued to move around him, her eyes taking every detail of his torn suit. "I understand the need to look elegant darling. But really..." Rarity poked at a tear in James's trouser leg. "You should come with me dear. I'll get that suit fixed up for you in no time flat." James shrugged.

"If you're sure Rarity. I wouldn't mind a new suit, since this one's completely ruined." Rarity nodded with an encouraging smile giving James a little push before taking the lead. As the pair walked, Rarity continued to make comments on the sorry state of James's suit, making comments on the design, color and material choices. "Rarity?" James asked tentatively. The Unicorn stopped her mono-logging, looking up at him with a soft smile. Taking the unspoken consent to continue, James opened his mouth to ask: "Why the interest in my suit? Surely you must be interested in the more obvious facts about me, like what I am and what I'm doing here?" The Unicorn frowned, running a hoof through her elegant mane in thought. Finally, after a short period of thought, the Unicorn spoke. Her speech was slow and measured, as though Rarity was being careful not to say something that might offend him.

"Well...I am curious Darling." The Unicorn said. "But I thought it would be quite rude of me to ask so many questions. Very unladylike." The Unicorn tossed her hair dramatically. "Besides dear, as Ponyville's leading fashionista, I can't let such a slight on fashion stand." James shrugged again, this time offering no reply. "Anyway's darling." Rarity said, pointing her hoof to a nearby building. "We're here. Welcome to my home! The carousel boutique!" James smiled. The place was built like a cathedral, with what looked like several decorated turrets and sweeping arks. James felt a flat chuckle escape him. A fancy place, for a fancy Pony. Rarity pushed open the door, leading the human inside. The interior of the shop bore a resemblance to a wedding dress shop, with mannequins stood in various places, each in the shape of a pony with several different dresses and suits. Rarity, smiling slightly, pointed over at a screened off area. "If you wouldn't mind Darling, I'm going to take some measurements. I've never worked on some-pony with your...stature before so..." James nodded, quickly moving behind the are and stripping off his suit, leaving his underwear on. As he worked with the many buttons on the shirt, Rarity stood behind the screen, taking the cloths from him as he passed them over. "I must say Darling, these are very finely tailored. If you wouldn't mind staying a bit longer...I could make a whole range of clothing for a whole new species!"

James felt another dry chuckle escape him as he heard Rarity skip away with his clothes. He would need some new clothes for the journey ahead. He supposed he could make this into a golden opportunity. Always take what can and all that. The Human settled himself on the small stage, waiting for the excited Unicorn to return with his clothes...hopefully with a few improvements.


The Unicorn frowned as he watched the human enter the boutique. He hadn't expected the human to deviate from his path to the library, nor had he expected the human to run into Rarity. He'd wanted to put his plan into action BEFORE the human found out anything about what ha happened to him. With an angry grunt, he swung round and began to walk away, pulling out his phone. Placing it against his head, he waited for the call to be connected.

"Princess? This is agent night-mist. We have a problem." He waited, listening to the voice on the other side of the line. Night-Mist's lips quirked in a humourless smile. "I understand Princess. I will continue to observe the human."