• Published 16th Mar 2016
  • 342 Views, 4 Comments

Harmony's Shadow - PenOfLuck



What happens when Harmony goes astray? Is it the will of nature, or some other unseen force? Whatever the case, Princess Cadence must stop the takeover of Equestria, and she has an idea. A risky one that involves a certain mirror to another world.

  • ...
 4
 342

Prolouge

Author's Note:

Hello! This is my first fanfiction. I would appreciate any pointers on how to better my writing style and grammar. Tell me what you think of this prologue and story idea. Hopefully I can get the first chapter out soon, but unfortunately, I have many things that take priority. :derpyderp1: :scootangel:

Falling…

My eyes are watering from the fierce gusts of wind blowing against my face, all I feel is agony and the pain from my broken wings currently bandaged to my sides, and I can feel overwhelming terror.. Yet… I hear nothing… And I can see only the faintest light… My weakened magic cannot save me. I hear a very distinct crack in my left wing as the cloth unfurls from my side, but yet, I don’t feel anything anymore. Light no longer reaches me as I enter a state of weightlessness.. It’s… Relaxing... I feel at peace, and I finally feel free.

Hmph…

Nothing could be farther from the truth…

I remember that fateful day… The day when I finally wielded the Elements of Harmony against my sister, Luna, after almost a month of struggle against her dark persona Nightmare Moon. I ended her eternal night, but at cost, for I lost her. My intention was never to banish her, but to guide her back into the light. The grief and sadness I felt was like a knife to flesh… I blamed myself, I blamed the Elements, and worst of all… I blamed her for leaving me.

Throughout the centuries I held my emotions in. A ruler must be strong for her people does she not?.. I ruled my nation, the land of Equestria, in a state of peace and happiness. All the while, the poison of sadness and guilt ran through my veins… It was only a stab to an open wound when the old lore of Nightmare Moon began to show up across the land. It angered me, but, I thought it was also for the best if Luna were to be slowly erased from history, and replaced with the abomination of nightmares my people were telling tales of, for one day should Luna return as her true self.

Many more centuries past, and the stories of Nightmare Moon never ended. However, both to my dismay and satisfaction, no one knew of the connection between Nightmare Moon and my beloved sister. In fact, no one even knew Luna existed anymore unless they studied ancient history, which not many did. Throughout those years, I spent what little spare time I had by doing things that kept me busy… Things that I enjoyed doing, and could ignore the pain whilst doing so. I remember getting so addicted to alcohol once, that I neglected my duties for a full week. In turn, the High Council placed a ban on the consuming and production of alcohol, that lasted a little over a century, during my… Should I say… Inability to function properly… I had many more interesting happenings throughout the years as well. Although I admit I had some fun moments, the pain of losing my sister never left me...

It had almost been a thousand years, and I thought that my grief would never leave me. Then, one day, something very interesting happened. I was walking through the royal gardens, when there was a large explosion. If I hadn’t seen the streaks of color across the sky, I would have never believed it to be a sonic rainboom, should someone say it was one. It was breathtaking, but that was still not the most amazing event that occurred. Moments later, a full grown dragon seemed to appear from out of nowhere, crushing a small part of the castle. I could sense a strong magic at work, so I flew as fast as I could to the source, completely prepared to fight if need be. I had such a surprise when I found the source to be a little filly, bursting with much more magic I had ever seen a unicorn possess since my sister's banishment. Apparently she not only hatched a dragon egg and somehow managed to cast an aging spell on it, but she had turned everypony in the room into various objects. She was floating, completely taken over by magic. Thankfully my presence seemed to calm her down and reverse the out-of-control energies.

That one pony.. That one adorable purple filly.. Changed my life in a way I never expected to come true. That filly, Twilight Sparkle, brought happiness to me from then forth. For at that very moment whilst I was calming her down, she got her cutie mark. Now I had already known she was something special from that demonstration of magical power, but upon seeing her mark, I realized her destiny was very intertwined with Equestria’s fate. From then forth I took her in as my personal magic student. I had also devoted many a year’s work plotting out Twilight’s destiny. I wished nothing for her but to succeed at any task thrown at her. Twilight’s cutie mark was identical to a mark on the Tree of Harmony. Therefore, I began planning a safe path for her to guarantee her success on her adventures to discover the secrets of Harmony.

Twilight brought many tears of joy to me during her time with me in Canterlot. I even looked upon her as if she were my own daughter. But the real gift was the day she united the Elements of Harmony and reunited me with Luna. It was then I took to my duty to prepare her for what is to come.

Since uniting with the other Elements, Twilight has saved Equestria many times alongside of her friends. She even managed to ascend to alicornhood and become Equestria’s newest princess. She couldn’t make me more proud… Looking back, I can’t believe what she and her friends have accomplished. They defeated Nightmare Moon and reunited me with Luna. Twilight help reveal Queen Chrysalis for who she truly was at the wedding. They not only defeated Discord, but they reformed him. And they did so much more.. It truly is amazing how much those six mares have changed Equestria for the better...

So why Twilight? Where did I go wrong? How could you betray Equestria? How could you… How could you betray me?...