• Published 15th Mar 2016
  • 526 Views, 6 Comments

The Warlock - JediWyrm

  • ...
 6
 526

And Settling In.

Twilight looked across the table at the unicorn stallion who had just been discussing his life story with her and the two princesses. Now he was just chatting with the alicorn diarchs about times long passed. She considered his tale and the manner in which he had acted so far, including the anecdote of Rarity's about meeting him not too long ago.

Eventually the conversation turned to interesting tales they had experienced. Celestia having the most due to not having been sealed away from the world for any tremendous length of time.

"There was the time I helped raised the moon." Began Hearts Shadow just before putting one of the small sandwiches.

"What?" Asked Twilight.

"Well, it was back when a team of unicorns handled the rising and setting of the Sun and Moon. They were always looking for strong unicorns for their reserves. I turned in a dissertation on the biology of chimera's and won a spot helping them. I was a great honour, though my talents lay elsewhere."


It wasn't long before the tea had been finished, Hearts Shadow had been granted one of the guest rooms by Princess Celestia for the time being until a more permanent arrangement could be made, and Luna had gone off to get some real sleep before needing to raise the moon. Twilight followed the warlock out to his wagon wanting to ask some questions regarding his magic.

"How much do you understand of entropy's role in the universe?" He asked when she finally got around to voicing her question. "It plays a major role in a lot of dark magic. There are some other aspects in which entropy has no real part, such as demonology. I have a couple books I can copy for you which can give you a greater understanding so that we might discuss on a more equal level."

The unicorn then partially climbed into the back of his wagon followed by the sounds of a variety of things being sorted through before a flash of magic happened. He then exited the wagon holding 2 freshly copied books, one looking more like a tome than the other. Floating the books over to Twilight who then took them in her own magic field.

Gesturing to the smaller of the two Hearts Shadow explained "The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts. Good content, covers the general aspects and details what the common pony and the more educated scholars knew of it. It also covers some of the surges in number of dark magic users. I've added some of my own thoughts on it in there.

"The tome is my own thoughts and research into the nature of dark magic. I like to call it 'On the Nature of Dark Magic and Entropy's Thaumaturgical Role' reading that should give you all you need to know, but I do tend towards technical explanations."

Twilight nodded, moving the books to float behind her. "Thanks for the books." She said cheerfully before heading down to the train station to go home.


A couple days later found Hearts Shadow negotiating a room in the castle to be allocated as a temporary workshop for him. Heading down to a small dining room for lunch, he bumped into a particularly pompous pony. The white unicorn stallion, who looked to spend more time tending his appearance than paying attention on whats in his way. He looked over the more colourful stallion with contempt at first, his mouth open slightly as if about to say some scathing remark before realization struck him.

"You're that new Earl that Auntie Celestia granted one of the heiress estates, correct." He said, posing his question as far more statement than inquiry.

"Correct. You must be Prince Blueblood. Your reputation precedes you." Shadow responded, letting a tinge into his voice that such a thing wasn't ideal.

"If I recall, you were granted a land grant. Such a thing hasn't happened in quite some time. Most nobility really only have their mansion here in Canterlot. Even I only have some lands holding here and there as vacation homes." Blueblood said.

"I was about to take a light lunch. You are free to join me, though I am sure a stallion of your rank has far more important matters to tend to. As such I wish you luck and bid you adieu." Shadow stated as he moved around the younger unicorn and returned on his path to the dining room.

"Now, wait a moment. Do you know who you are talking to? I routinely speak to Princess Celestia. Apologize or I can make your life extremely difficult." He ranted.

"You might be her nephew, but I've been around longer than you. I met both alicorn sisters before they even had their cutie marks. I spent a year living amoungst cannibals so I could become an hounorary member. You don't scare me. Even if you live a full century, I shall outlive you and anything you try to do against will eventually be rendered as nothing more than a drop of rain during a hurricane." Shadow said, giving a stare at the Prince which brought about memories of similar stares he had seen Celestia give.

Hearts Shadow walked away leaving Blueblood to stammer wordlessly in the hallway until such time he could regain his composure.


It took another day to finish negotiating a room to become his workshop. Hearts Shadow had retired for the night to rest up for all the spells he needed to set up to ensure that the laboratory would be safe. The craving for a midnight snack lead him out and towards a kitchen. Along the way he encountered one of the Lunar Guard, the sight of which gave him pause.

Looking over the bat pony carefully he noted several aspects that were obviously drawn from the ancient threstal species. The guard took the inspection in stride, not moving a millimeter from his post.

"Interesting. I have words for Princess Luna." Hearts Shadow said to himself, before looking up at the guard. "Carry on, and have a nice night."