• ...
3
 12
 1,138

Chapter 2: The Factory

The two pegasai escorting me out refused to release me from their grip stronger than death itself, no matter how much I struggled. As I fought with all of my energy, I soon became weak, attempting to barely salvage enough energy to keep my head up; but just like my flight attempts, I failed with every weakening struggle. In the distance, I picked up faint scent of noxious gases emitting from hidden machines, the chorus of banging and grinding in the distance grew louder and louder at the two massive pegasi carried me closer. I could hear screams and crying in the distance, intertwining with the sounds of the machinery blasting over them forming a deafening roar. I suddenly came to a stop as I kept my head down in disappointment of myself; the two pegasai threw me into a room filled with fillies and colts like a crowd of sheep. We were all huddled in the tiny, empty room, like we didn’t have any form of value anymore; the group seemed confused as to where they were. Almost every one of them was crying “Mommy! Daddy!” as each voice overlapped each other, turning the room into a chamber of anguish and tears as every little pony cried and screamed in fear. I had no clue where I was at the time, but as looked around and saw each pony’s tear-stained faces; it instantly became clear to me. This was the end for all of them, the miserable end to every one of their short, saddening lives; and all they could do was scream hoping they would be saved. I spoke with only one pony, which he refused to reveal his name. He knew what was going on, and he tried to console me about the situation. At one point, I was actually having fun with him and almost made me realize about the fun of having a friend. Our fun couldn’t last however; suddenly I heard a pony’s voice through the speakers. “Good day fillies and gentlecolts, please line up here to get your free ice cream.” The voice spoke in almost a calming and positive mood, alleviating my stresses just slightly. However, something didn’t seem right; the tone of the pony’s voice just didn’t match the setting, like he wasn’t in his place. Despite my curiosity, I remained optimistic, hoping my tension would ameliorate in any way. My friend was in front of me, looking back at me as if he was in complete belief of the announcement as a line formed by the door all of us entered in. One by one, each colt and filly went, I was excited, for at the time, I believed what I thought was going on.
” I never had Ice cream before.” I said soundly as my friend looked back at me and nodded. I saw the line getting shorter and shorter as it trailed around corners of the building ultimately leading to a single narrow line directing to a sealed off room. Each time the line grew shorter, I could faintly make out the sound of screams of agony and fear; followed by a loud grinding noise. Despite hearing it, I refused to recognize the sounds as a sign of danger. It was almost my turn with perhaps six or seven ponies in front of me; my friend, who was in front of me, said in a now displeased and impatient tone “This is taking forever.” I tried to nullify his impatience my telling him to calm down; he rolled his eyes, and turned back around. I couldn’t help but wonder if he didn’t like me anymore, that my statement had ended our brief friendship. As I pondered his reaction, I saw his turn was up. I noticed him step on a conveyor belt, bizarre, but I didn’t have second thoughts at the moment. “Yay!” he screamed with excitement, as I was staring at him but only five or six feet behind, I saw him vanish from my vision in an instant. I looked forward to see six; closely interlocked gears grind up his tiny body in a bloodied mess as he screamed in an instant. I heard the sound of his snapping bones mix with his screams of terror as all of his body had become a mess amongst the gears. He didn’t seem to struggle as he went; as he was instantly grinded up, not a single movement as his mangled body passed through the machine. My blood instantly froze in my veins, I only knew him for no more than twenty minutes, and now he was a pile of gore at the other end of the grinder; my only friend, now gone.
“No...No…” I broke down sobbing as I watched his tiny body get torn to pieces in the massive machine, my heart sank and all hope for me was sucked from my body in an instant. I looked up to see it was my turn, like death itself pointing its bony hoof at me. I looked as the conveyor belt slowly inched forward, I was either going to escape somehow, or become a bloodied mess for a machine; ending my short life. I knew I had to get out of there, I tried jumping to start flight, but the ponies around me shoved my head back down onto the belt, knowing I was too weak to fly. Slowly, I moved down the conveyer belt, my imminent bloody death now looking me in the face. Suddenly, something strange happened; my body became charged with energy. My heart raced faster than it had even gone before, my wings became as strong as they had ever been; and as I looked at the gap moving closer, I jumped to see my wings carrying me. At the moment, I didn’t care about the flight; I just wanted to get out. As I looked to my side, I saw a massive window. With all my strength, I charged at it; as I closed my eyes, I felt the glass shatter around me. As I flew far from that awful factory, I realized I was free for the first time; both from the factory, and the ground.