• Published 4th Mar 2016
  • 1,781 Views, 22 Comments

Ponyfeathers - SaintThunder



Rainbow Dash teaches Twilight how to finger her feathers, and learns a little bit about love along the way.

  • ...
4
 22
 1,781

RD and Rare at the Spa

"Wow, Dash, ah never figured you for a storyteller."

"What can I say? I've got a gift."

The two mares had lied in the shade of Lil Washington, the first tree most ponies see when visiting the Acres. Applejack was reclining in the grass, hat on her belly, and Rainbow Dash was to her left, similarly reclined after a spectacular (and rather tiring) reenactment of her flashback.

"So," said Applejack, "what now?"

"Huh?" Rainbow had the attention span of a fruit fly sometimes.

AJ sat up and stared down at her. "Are ya gonna finish that trick o' yours?"

Rainbow turned away, bits of grass clinging to her mane. "I don't know. There's something missing. Something I'm not getting. If only I knew where to look..."

"Ah'd tell ya to pop over to the castle library, but obviously that's out. Maybe you can ask Rarity fer help."

"What would Rarity know about science?"

"Ain't about science, ya ding-dong. About romance."

The word romance sent shivers through Rainbow's skin. Her wings clenched, and she had to sit up before the feeling went away.

Applejack let out a little chuckle. "Ain't nothin' ta be ashamed of, filly; love is the most natural thang in the world." She put a leg around the blushing pegasus. "Be proud that you found someone you'd wanna hold at night, sittin' under the stars, watchin' the moon rise inta the sky and go back down again. Better'n doin' it alone, ya know?"

"Heh, I never figured you were so cheesy."

"T'aint cheesy if it's from the heart." Applejack donned her hat, covering her face, and stood. "Ah'd better git back to applebuckin'. Big Mac'll tan mah hide if we don't clear the south field by sundown."

Rainbow stretched her whole body forward, then performed a wing-up to a standing position. "Cool. Guess I'm gonna head ho--"

Timberwolf green eyes shone from the shadow of AJ's Stetson.

"--oooooover to Carousel Boutique, cuz Rarity's just the pony I need right now, HAHA. I totally wasn't going home to eat leftover pizza. Nope."

"Git along, little Dashie."


Rainbow Dash was at the Boutique in two minutes; she was in NO hurry to tell Rarity all about her "romantic" ventures. She pushed the ornate purple door open, ringing the little bell that hung from the doorframe. But nopony seemed to have heard it. Entering the building revealed the store to be in a state of disarray; sheets of various fabrics were strewn about, mannequins knocked down to the floor, unfinished dresses piled up in the middle...

"Rarity? You in here?"

Rainbow flitted into the kitchen.

Nopony but dirty plates.

Into the laundry room.

Still nopony.

Out the back.

Nope. Just the clothesline.

Up the stairs to the bedroom.

"Sweetie Belle?"

The little filly was rolled up in Rarity's bedsheets, looking for all the world the pinkiest, frilliest and fanciest burrito ever.

"Heya Rainbow Dash! Whatcha doin' here?"

Rainbow scanned the room. It was in a similar state as the rest of the place: shelves were stuffed with various spools and loose threads; ribbons and tape measures tangled up in bunches, as if somepony had tried pulling them apart; needles were scattered all over the floor...

"Uh, what happened here? And where's Rarity?"

Sweetie Belle retreated into the folds of her blanket burrito. "N-not much..."

"Pfft." Rainbow did an eye-roll. "I was a little filly once too, ya know. Broke tons of stuff." She jumped on the bed and grabbed a wingful of the filly filled bundle of blanket. "Come on. Shoot. I won't tell nopony."

Sweetie dared to stick her muzzle out of her protective layer of cloth. "Well, it went like this..."


Five minutes later, Rainbow Dash was on the floor, tears in her eyes, the whole of her body in fits of silent laughter.

"It's not that funny." Sweetie Belle had vanished. There was only blanket now.

"Are you kidding?! That's awesome! I mean, Rarity's gonna freak, but man, did you really make that?"

The mannequin standing awkwardly next to the doorway, positioned in such a way that it could not be seen upon entering and be hidden behind the door if it was opened, was dressed in what most ponies would call a torture device. It would have been a perfectly fine ball gown if it hadn't been made of twelve different fabrics (all different shades of blue) haphazardly sewn together with threads of varying sizes (one in particular almost looked like rope), each with a needle hanging off its exposed end. Investigating the inside revealed that these were sewing machine needles, their eyes near their tip, leaving most of them pointy end in. Most baffling of all, the top half of a sewing machine was sticking out from the back; the bottom half having somehow been sewn directly into the dress. The fabric around it (a hodgepodge of nylon, silk and knitted wool) had a few rips.

"Um... yeah... does... does it look nice?" The filly had stuck her head out enough for her horn to be visible.

"Totally." Rainbow Dash was genuinely impressed by Sweetie's hoofiwork: it reminded her of that blue faced guy from that movie with the swords and stallions in skirts. "Anypony who can rock that look to a hoity toity party is one heck of a pony." She slammed down her hoof to punctuate, accidentally jabbing the frog with a needle.

"Yeeouch!" Rainbow flapped her injured hoof in the air. "Hey, lemme help you clean up before your sister finds out you turned her boutique into a war zone. Already got one mare down, hehe."

Sweetie's horn sank back into the pink morass of fabric.

"She already did."

"Ah." Rainbow's smile faded, and she climbed back into the bed with Sweetie Belle. "So is that why she's--"

"She went to the spa."

"In the middle of business hours?" Rainbow was lazy, and often skipped out of work back when she had regular hours. For Rarity to do the same when it was her own business... "Dang. Did she say anything about all this?"

The pile shifted slightly. It almost looked like a nod.

Rainbow glided slowly to the buried filly so that she could peer into the tiny breathing hole Sweetie had made for herself. "Was it bad?"

This time, the pile condensed into a tighter ball, and then vaguely nodded again.

"Okay. I'm gonna go talk to your sister." Rainbow pounded her hooves together. "You stay here and clean up."

The pegasus opened the window and disappeared into the streets below.


"I'm sorry, but Miss Rarity has asked to not be disturbed."

The pink spa pony behind the front desk regarded Rainbow Dash with a detached smile.

"Oh come on! I'm her friend, and this is important!"

"Please Miss Dash, I can't allow you to disturb Miss Rarity. She is, eh, how do you say... irate, at the moment."

"Yeah, I know. Just let me see her? Please? For me?"

The spa pony bit her lip and scratched at her neck. "Well, you ARE one of our regulars here, and she is your friend. Perhaps... she won't mind?"

"HUH? WHAT ARE YOU TALK-ING A-BOUT?" said Rainbow a little too loudly. She needn't have bothered; it was midday and practically nopony else was present. "I THINK YOU GOT ME CONFUSED WITH SOMEPONY ELSE HAHA."

"But you're always here at least twice--"

"SOMEPONY ELSE!" Little beads of sweat were forming on Rainbow's coat. "Ahem. A-anyway, just take me to Rarity, and I'll be outta your mane."

"Er, very well. I shall go inform Miss Rarity. Please wait here."

"Wait? Can't I just go with you?"

But the spa pony had already gone. Since Rainbow had enough tact to not enter the treatment areas without paying, she resigned to sit at the fancy couch across from the desk.

Rainbow had read the April issue of Universal Filly cover to cover twice, and had begun again for a third run, before the pink mare came back.

"Uhm, Miss Dash?"

Rainbow slammed the magazine shut. "HUH WHAT?" She sent the offending document flying back into the rack, sliding perfectly into an open slot.

"Miss Rarity has kindly asked me to inform you that she does not require your presence at the moment."

The sweat on Rainbow's face evaporated into steam. "She said what now?"

"Uhm, she asked--"

"REPORTICHOLE QUESTION!" Rainbow slipped off the couch and stuck her hoof in her mouth.

"I'm sorry, I don't understa--"

The pegasus started coughing and gagging. The spa pony could only watch in abject horror as Rainbow pulled out a soggy brown mass from her mouth. She shook it gently, dripping saliva in long strings to the floor as she trotted forward.

"Yuck," said Rainbow, sticking her tongue out in disgust. "Sorry you had to see that, but I'm in a hurry and these are my only bits." She opened the "bag" to reveal that it did indeed contain bits, and retrieved the appropriate payment. Once she double checked her bits, Rainbow promptly "returned" the "bag" to where it came from, and held out the remaining to the spa pony.

She retreated from Rainbow's bit filled hoof. "Where... How...?"

"Pegasus thing; don't worry about it. Anyway, it's fine; the bag is spitproof." When she still didn't take it, Rainbow spread the golden coins out on the desk. "Which room is Rarity in?"

"S-s-steam r-room..."

Rainbow gave her a quick nod and walked (on pain of being banned from the spa) past the giant tub to the hallway, grabbing a clean robe from the towel cart as she entered. Rainbow arrived to the steam room robed and ready to give Rarity a piece of her mind.

She opened the door to find

"Twilight?"

Author's Note:

So for those of you who are utterly baffled by Rainbow's little, uh, "emergency wallet", I got the idea from birds having things called "crops", which is an organ that acts much like a second stomach that doesn't digest things. Birds also have a gizzard, but that's for crushing food and the crop was located much closer to the front of the body, so I used that.