• Published 3rd Mar 2016
  • 586 Views, 6 Comments

What Would Happen? - sethbramwell



Temptation finds Octavia....

  • ...
2
 6
 586

Chapter 1

Octavia took a last look in the mirror, making absolutely certain her appearance was as perfect as could be. Some of her contemporaries never bothered much about such formalities for a simple rehearsal, but for the cellist professionalism was next to Godliness. Satisfied at last, the grey mare shouldered her cello and stepped from the bedroom to the front room, ready to leave for her daily rehearsal with the Equestrian Orchestra.

As she stepped into the living room, she saw her marefriend, one Vinyl Scratch (Or DJ-PON3, as she was known in the clubs), standing behind a tower of speakers that were thankfully muted as the sound was rerouted into the headphones perched above the DJ’s messy mane. Vinyl had been working for two weeks now on her latest so-called “masterpiece”, some new mess of dubstep and beats that only sounded like noise to her. When she had first begun doing this work at home, it had been an annoyance, but it was still tolerable as long as it was confined to the headphones while Octavia was present. The last few days, however, even this had begun to grate on her nerves. This project had become Vinyl’s obsession, and with their schedules being as hectic as they were, Octavia felt as if Vinyl was becoming more and more distant.

“I am off to rehearsal, Vinyl.” Octavia stated calmly as her marefriend looked to her, not removing the headphones or even pausing the thudding beat in them.

“Uhhh-huh.” came the mumbled reply.

“I look forward to dinner with you tonight, dear. Please remember to put the food in the oven at 6:00.”

“Mmm-hmm.”

“I- I love you.”

“Yep.”

Octavia turned to leave, her heart heavy and depressed. She made it as far as the door before turning around and stepping back to Vinyl with pained annoyance. At the sight of her marefriend, Vinyl resignedly paused the thudding beat. “What?”

“I love you.” The tone was quiet, simple, almost flat.

Vinyl sighed, using her magic to remove the noise cancelling headphones. “What?” she asked again, obviously not thrilled to be interrupted further.

“I said, I love you!” Now the tone held a hurt flavor.

“Ugh, OK! I love you too! You know that! Busy!” came the curt reply. The headphones snapped back onto her ears. Octavia didn’t budge. She could only stare at the pony she loved. Again, the beat paused. “Can’t you see I’m working?” Vinyl asked tersely.

Octavia took a breath, but could not find the words. “Very well. I am off.” came the reply with as much control as the musician could muster. With practiced dignity, Octavia turned and exited the cottage as Vinyl resumed her mixing. The door closed behind her as the cellist trudged to the road, her heart heavy and eager for a distraction. After walking a few blocks, the familiar sight of her fellow cellist and close friend Pezzo came into view, a smile on her face.

“Good morning, Pezzo.” Octavia said glumly as the pink earth pony joined her, her own cello case slung over her back.

“Morning, Octi…” Pezzo replied, her smile changing to concern at the tone of her friend's voice. “What’s going on? You look down.”

“Oh, it’s Vinyl…” Octavia began as Pezzo sighed. It surely wasn’t the first time she had heard something along these lines.

“What’d she do this time? Another late night of wubs?” Pezzo asked.

“No…” Octavia said, looking straight ahead. “She’s just been so busy lately, it’s as if she has no time left for me, for us, anymore. I had to force her to get her headphones off this morning just to tell her I loved her…”

Pezzo looked to her proud friend. “I’m sure she’s just hyper focused on a new project. You know how she gets, and you know how she feels…”

Octavia stepped to the door of the rehearsal hall, one hoof extended to push the door open for the both of them. “I know how she used to feel. The last few weeks… I am just not so certain…” Pezzo was at a loss for words as the two of them stepped to the stage and climbed the three steps at stage left, approaching their designated positions as the other musicians tuned their respective instruments around them. Pezzo knew Octi well enough to know that that statement would be the end of any information, at least for the duration of rehearsal. The grey mare was renowned for her ability to compartmentalize her personal life and focus exclusively on her playing and music. Before long, the familiar voice of one of their favorite conductors filled the hall.

“Alright, everypony. From the top.” Bright Baton stated with a warm smile before raising his baton in his hoof and placing the orchestra to task. The cello in Octavia’s hooves became her temporary release as she channelled her emotion, as ever, through her bow to the strings and the result was the beautiful music of Joseph Horsdyn.

Four hours later found the orchestra winding down as Bright Baton thanked them, declared that rehearsal was complete, and wished them all a lovely weekend. The kindly elder conductor turned and made his way to his office, as was his custom for any musicians who had questions or concerns. On the stage, most of the musicians prepared to proceed to the hall doors to leave while a few others lingered and chatted with their compatriots and one flautist went to speak with Bright Baton. The two lead cellists cased their instruments as Pezzo watched Octavia’s face fall from performance mode to the same troubled expression she had seen hours before. “Listen, Octi…” she began, her voice uncertain. “Why don’t we go hit Stablebucks, get you a tea or something. You need to take a break from-”

Pezzo’s offer was interrupted by an unfamiliar voice from behind her. “Um, Miss Melody…” The pair turned to see Starlight Strings, a second-chair violinist who had only arrived in the last few months, standing before them. Her cased violin floated beside her in a magical aura provided by her unicorn horn. “I- I wonder if I could speak to you…” The violinist’s eyes moved to Pezzo’s face. her tone was polite, but insistent. “Privately, please.”

Octavia looked to Pezzo, who just smiled. “I’ma hit up Stablebucks, Octi. If you want to catch up with me in a bit, just come on over.” She turned her attention to Starlight Strings. “Try to get her to come, huh?” she asked teasingly. Starlight looked at her oddly, and Pezzo laughed and clopped her hoof in response before slinging her cello case over her shoulder and trotting toward the stage exit. Starlight watched her leave before turning her attention to Octavia once more. The two mares heard the theater doors close as two percussionists exited, leaving them alone on the stage in the concert hall. Surely, Bright Baton was still in his office, perhaps with the flautist, but otherwise they stood alone.

Octavia forced a smile. “So, er- Miss Strings, I believe?” The violinist nodded, her violin case now resting on the floor. Unsure of what the musician wanted, she continued. “What can I do for you?”

“Well-” The violinist began, her voice shaking somewhat as she nervously rubbed at her right foreleg with her left hoof. Octavia noted it, as she had a similar nervous habit. “I’ve been watching you perform ever since I arrived here, and, well, I’m very impressed.”

Octavia blushed despite herself. She was well aware of her technical skill, but she never ceased to be somewhat embarrassed when praised, especially by her colleagues. “Why, thank you, Miss Strings. I’ve played for as long as I can recall-”

Starlight looked to her eyes hurriedly. “Oh- I- Well, that is to say- I mean, you are an amazing cellist, of course, but-”

“But?” Octavia prodded curiously. Starlight seemed to swallow heavily, as if she was suddenly extremely nervous. “Are you alright, Miss Strings?”

Starlight had daydreamed of this moment for weeks, and it had taken so much effort to concentrate during rehearsal today. It had to happen, now or never. With a deep inhalation of air, she continued. “Miss Melody- Octavia- I’ve been impressed on more than a professional level.”

Octavia’s eyes opened wider as she looked to the violinist before her. “Er, excuse me?”

Starlight’s reply came in a quiet, nervous tone, akin to a high school colt asking his crush out for the first time ever, which was actually quite apropos. “I’m falling in love with you, Octavia.” The grey mare stood there in stunned silence, her mouth hanging open in surprise. Starlight could not endure the awkward pause, and continued on after a quick look around to ensure that nopony else was present. “Please understand, I wouldn’t even approach you if I didn’t think you could- well- feel the same way.”

Somehow, Octavia found her voice. “Miss Strings-”

“Please, call me Starlight.” the violinist interjected almost breathily.

Octavia continued, not wishing to be rude but knowing she had to nip this in the bud. “Miss Strings. I- I’m flattered, but I’m already in a relationship-”

Starlight could not hold it back. Her legs trembled as she spat, in a tone perhaps more accusing than she meant it to be, “With that- that- uncultured club-hopper?”

Octavia was taken aback. She looked to the junior violinist. “Vinyl may not have the same musical background as me, but-”

Starlight continued on. “She doesn’t deserve a cultured mare like you.”

“Miss Strings, please.”

“No! Please, listen to me! I’ve been hearing for weeks about how distant she is, how she- she parties late into the night… She doesn’t respect you, Octavia. I would never treat you that way. I’d never take you for granted- Please, just give me a chance.”

Octavia felt her coat seem to stand on end. “You’ve heard?” she asked, embarrassed.

“Forgive me for prying into your personal life.” Starlight stated sincerely. “It’s hardly proper behavior, I realize, but- well, ponies talk. I hate to know the turmoil you face each day at the hooves of that-” her voice stopped at the sight of Octavia’s raised hoof.

“Miss Strings”, she began firmly, “I do not wish to offend you, but I think you have the wrong impression. If you’ll excuse me, I believe Pezzo is waiting for me.” Octavia shouldered her cello, and turned to step from the stage when Starlight’s voice made her stop once again.

“Do I? Do I really?” she called out. Octavia turned wearily to face Starlight, and saw her cheeks were now starting to moisten with tears. “Listen, Oct- Miss Melody. I know this sounds crazy, but please- think about it. She hasn’t been there lately. I know you’ve been depressed the last couple weeks- anypony could see it. All I’m asking is a chance.” Starlight’s heart pounded in her chest as if she had just run in the Fillydelphia 500 foot race. This was a desperately forward gambit, and she could only pray to Celestia that it would not backfire. “One kiss. If you feel nothing, I promise on my career that I will walk away and never bring this up to you again.”

Octavia looked to her with wide eyes, terribly unsure of what to say or do. The last few weeks of her relationship had been steadily depressing due to Vinyl’s distraction and her seeming indifference to her, but was she really ready to walk away from all of it? A quiet voice tempted her from the corner of her mind. Try it… what could happen? If nothing else, maybe she really will back away…

Starlight’s voice broke her train of thought. “What do you say, Octavia?”